Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bjorn14

RE: UA's Fired HKG FAs-Any Updates?

Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:04 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 98):

Pardon my igmorance but what is a "chaser"?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

zeke

Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:56 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 91):

I didn't miss that at all, where we differ is I build a team, and value everyone's input. I am not going to casually dismiss concerns of experienced crew. Where I come from, if there is doubt, there is no doubt, take the conservative course.

If crew had further doubt, I would back them, have it inspected again, let them hear the results of the inspection first hand, let them ask questions to the mechanics directly. I will guarantee you the crew will not have refused to fly.

Quoting darksnowynight (Reply 93):

I don't pressure people for otp. Otp is not considered for safety, security, maintenance, or de-ice. I tell people it has to be safe, it should be legal, and it's nice to be on time.

Quoting AngMoh (Reply 96):

I have mutual respect for others that work together to complete a flight.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 99):

I would appreciate your course of action. Also works the other way as well, had mechanics sign things off I have insisted on having redone.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Brewfangrb

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:20 am

Quoting B737900ER (Reply 95):
I don't understand what you're implying. But the idea of the TSA being only passenger screeners is wrong. It's a huge department that gets involved in many airport security issues. And they do get involved when it comes to issues of individual aircraft security.

I'm saying that it's true you were trying to educate the poster to whom your original reply was directed that the TSA is everywhere. My point is that the TSA is ineffective (and that's not just my biased opinion--it's proven by the TSA IG "secret flier" testing) and contribute little to actual aviation security.

The TSA was borne of the idea that a professional organization with good pay and benefits would lead to more consistent screening with improved technology compared to the pre-9/11 method of underpaid anybodies waving people through a metal detector and their bag through a 30 year old x ray machine.

In theory, I always felt that to be true. I supported the creation of the TSA using this theory. Unfortunately, the TSA is not what was promised. You have a bunch of screaming, power-hungry, anti-social incompetents doing screening designed by a bloated management more interested in spending Congress's appropriated money than protecting the rights of citizens and ensuring safety.

Regardless of the scare-talk from the government, taking off my shoes and limiting liquids does next to nothing to increase safety of aviation. It tricks the low-information, cops-are-good citizen into thinking "well, as long as makes me safe, I don't care what I have to do". It's a massive waste of time and money.

exFWAOONW

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:04 pm

I wonder how much "saving face" was in-play here. i.e. the FAs were in a position where they couldn't back down and still save face, leaving (in their minds) only one course of action. If United has so much experience working in Asia, they should have known how to handle this better.

50 cents worth of soap and water might have changed the outcome of this situation.

Quoting darksnowynight (Reply 80):
Oh yeah, hospitals do that all the time too. Hey, that orderly looks like a surgeon. Let's call him one. Not

Oh yes they do. Hospitals let nurse techs and orderlies go "because we have RNs that can do that job, too" And wonder why back injury claims skyrocket.

[Edited 2016-01-18 10:05:38]
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

AT

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:38 pm

this may be a naive question but all administrative and legal questions aside, couldn't the airline just have replaced the crew for that flight and solved the problem for the time? Given that SFO is a major UA hub, one would think there would be enough alternate crew members who could be available in an hour or two's time to fly the flight?

That seems to me the best short-term fix and then deal with the crew behavior issues later?

IPFreely

Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:27 am

Quoting AT (Reply 104):

Given that SFO is a major UA hub, one would think there would be enough alternate crew members who could be available in an hour or two's time to fly the flight?

I don't know but I doubt it. Given that this was a 747 to HKG that would be at least a 3-day trip, I'm not sure where a full complement of FA's would come from. And if they were available it would probably mean cancelling whatever flight or flights they were scheduled to work.

Quoting AT (Reply 104):

That seems to me the best short-term fix and then deal with the crew behavior issues later?

There is only one way to deal with a crew that is this defective and that's to do what United did. No reason to delay the inevitable.

DTWPurserBoy

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 100):
Pardon my igmorance but what is a "chaser"?

Ooops--airline slang. "Chaser" or "purser buddy" is the name for the second American-based f/a that work inter-Asia flights. There are almost always two of us on board. NW and now DL prefer that the purser be an American and the second American can work where their seniority permits--generally they are far senior to any of the Pacific division f/a's so they may go the upper deck on the 744 or to another business class working slot on the A330 or 757. To qualify as a purser you have to be screened, bid in seniority order and pass a special course (and not all do pass) in order to awarded the gold wings. I was qualified in the first class of NW pursers in about 2000 that was taught by a private British company made up of former BA pursers--and they were tough! They had all been in the trenches. To the best of my knowledge no Pacific division crews are purser qualified.

We have always joked that the chaser was along so the purser would not have to eat dinner alone. When we get to, say, MNL, all of the MNL-based crews just go home and it will just be us two and the pilots and once in a while another f/a from a Pacific base that go to the hotel together.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos