Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OMP777X
Topic Author

Airport Service Workers Plan MLK Day Walkout

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:29 am

It looks like the service workers at at least nine major U.S. airports plan on walking out of work today to bring attention to their demands for higher wages and the right to organize themselves into a union. The SEIU says they plan on walking out of work, blocking bridges, and doing other forms of civil disobedience to help them get their message across to their bosses.

In addition to there being a planned blockade of a bridge in DC the article says "Actions are also being organized in Boston; New York City; Newark, New Jersey; Philadelphia; Miami; Chicago; Portland, Oregon; and Seattle.

“These men and women are calling for real change at all these airports in the hopeful and visionary spirit of Dr. Martin Luther King,” said Jaime Contreras, head of 32BJ Service Employees International Union for the Washington area. “We are protesting what we already know is a gross injustice and humiliating working conditions.”"

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/latest-ne...article55230855.html#storylink=cpy

I hope they get their message across safely, and get closer to the wages they want ($15/hr) within the union of their choice, and that the conditions of their employment improve over all. $6.75/hr is not a living wage IMHO.

Best,

OMP777X
"Happy Flighting!"

hz747300

RE: Airport Service Workers Plan MLK Day Walkout

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:00 am

How many aircraft does an average ground crew member turn in a 8 hour working day? Would an increase in landing charges of $1 per passenger cover the increase in wages?
Keep on truckin'...

OMP777X
Topic Author

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:24 am

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 1):
Would an increase in landing charges of $1 per passenger cover the increase in wages?

I honestly don't know how many planes they typically turn around in an average day, or if that fee could be used to boost their wages. The article about the action at EWR stated that the Port Authority determines the minimum wages to be paid to service workers at the airports they manage. I'm not too sure what would help to pay the proposed increase in wages. See the below article for more details:

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/20...t_workers_arrested_civil_diso.html

Here are a couple more articles on the actions:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas.../mTY7e8THjy8LARimyEdGoL/story.html
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...rport-protests-20160118-story.html
"Happy Flighting!"

OB1504

Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:54 pm

Quoting OMP777X (Thread starter):
In addition to there being a planned blockade of a bridge in DC the article says "Actions are also being organized in Boston; New York City; Newark, New Jersey; Philadelphia; Miami; Chicago; Portland, Oregon; and Seattle.

I worked a double at MIA yesterday so I was there for the better part of the day and I didn't notice any protests.

Not sure why contractors at MIA would be protesting in the first place since local ordinance already mandates a living wage of $14.46/hour, which is more than they'd make in their first year working directly for any airline. There are literally wheelchair pushers making more than ticket agents.

[Edited 2016-01-19 14:58:01]

OMP777X
Topic Author

Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:30 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 3):
I worked a double at MIA yesterday so I was there for the better part of the day and I didn't notice any protests.

In Miami they didn't protest within the airport itself, the 50 protesters assembled outside of the Eulen America building. They didn't just want wage increases, but also collective bargaining rights and the right to organize within a union to begin with. Their action was reported on in the link below.

http://wlrn.org/post/airport-workers-protest-higher-wages-union-rights
"Happy Flighting!"

IPFreely

Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:36 am

Quoting OMP777X (Thread starter):
“We are protesting what we already know is a gross injustice and humiliating working conditions.”

Sounds like it was spoken by someone who should quit and find a less humiliating and more just job somewhere else. After all, nobody is holding a gun to these peoples' heads. What kind of idiot gets treated unjustly and humiliated every day, and keeps going back for more?

reltney

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:05 pm

I am a minority in my country and I say......&@?%?{£ them! Fire them all. We can't stop the world of flights. I fly on holidays because passengers pay to fly on those days. This is not some 3rd world crap hole. This is why those workers are at the bottom of the food chain, no education to see how the world functions..

They should work in a country who never heard of MLK.
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

nonrevman

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:03 am

The spirit of MLK?

So they block a bridge and perhaps cause someone to miss a flight or maybe they block certain cargo from making a flight.

This whole protest thing whether or not it is the Black-Lives-Matter debacle in MSP or this is going to be all fun and games until an organ transplant is disrupted, someone misses a funeral, or miltary personnel lose valuable time over this. I find it strange that people hope to drum up sympathy by doing this. Most people who miss their flight or are inconvenienced are at the very least going to blame the protest for disrupting airport operations.

Picketing and peaceful protest is one thing, but blocking bridges and roads and actually disrupting operations is crossing a line.

OMP777X
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:16 am

Quoting reltney (Reply 6):
This is why those workers are at the bottom of the food chain, no education to see how the world functions..

I agree that unskilled labor should be at the low end of the wage spectrum, but the minimum wage here in the U.S. has not kept up with the rise in the costs of living a normal life. $15 is a liveable wage for someone who is single, but is not enough to make a decent living if you have a child to raise and need to live in a 2 bedroom apartment and own a car to get to and from work.

Quoting nonrevman (Reply 7):
Picketing and peaceful protest is one thing, but blocking bridges and roads and actually disrupting operations is crossing a line.

While I tend to agree with you to a point, the MLK Day actions of Monday weren't blocking runways at all, or blocking transplant organs from leaving the terminal to get to the OR at any hospital. AFAIK, those who were arrested in the process of committing civil disobedience were picked up off of the ground a minute after being told to move and hardly disturbed a damn thing before their arrest.
"Happy Flighting!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos