Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

masseybrown

RE: The Rest Of Ohio, Part 4

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:16 am

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 49):
I couldn't find CLE or TOL numbers.

For the year 2015, CLE was 8,100,073 - up 6.45% from 7,609,404.

flyinryan99

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:10 pm

For the year 2015, TOL was 179,911 - up 1.9% over 2014. 2016 will be down unless something changes for TOL as capacity will be down and AA has been averaging roughly 1,200 pax less a month since October.

StuckinCMHland

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:56 pm

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but what is the status of anyone bringing direct international flights (I assume TATL) to CMH? Is that just noise at this point, has there been any movement in that direction?

And since I know as much about the process of those decisions as I do about competing in a swimsuit contest, can someone tell me what has to happen so this does happen? Is it simply a matter of CRAA, the state, the City of Columbus or someone else putting up cash and a business case to a carrier, or is there more to it?

Thank you for the education.

DeltaRules

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:15 pm

The last rumblings were in January (right around the time F9 announced I think), when ABC 6 reported a "strong possibility" of "London service with a UK carrier" (LHR service with BA) coming in early 2017. Someone would have to pony up quite a bit of cash to make it happen, as the PDEW to London isn't that great (though connections could help things).

Columbus isn't the "flashiest" name city in the world, but in the same vein I still don't know how AUS got nonstops to LHR (though I guess those have been upgauged from 787 to 777, so they're doing well enough). I agree with others that an AA 757 might be the place to start even though the a route like CMH-LHR was the type route the 787 was designed for.

I don't know how BA's cargo logistics work, but I remember seeing once a BA trucking schedule which had goods going to IAD or JFK to pick up flights to LHR. Could there be a case for belly cargo to skip the truck and go from CMH?

NoTime

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:50 pm

Quoting DeltaRules (Reply 53):
I don't know how BA's cargo logistics work, but I remember seeing once a BA trucking schedule which had goods going to IAD or JFK to pick up flights to LHR. Could there be a case for belly cargo to skip the truck and go from CMH?

I recall seeing something about this, too, on a different site. The line of thinking was that there was enough LHR-bound cargo from the central Ohio area that the PDEW numbers could conceivably be on the "low" side and the route could still be profitable. If that's the case, could the cargo coming into LCK also play a role? (Although, that certainly seems a little clunky to fly cargo into LCK, drive it 15 miles to CMH and put it onto another plane... but, then again, I'm not a cargo expert. So, who knows...

Anyhow, agree that an AA 757 would seem the best way to start.

greenair727

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:35 pm

^Seems unlikely though to have CMH-LHR service before a CLE-LHR service. Cleveland is a significantly larger market, both in terms of population and economy.

DeltaRules

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:07 pm

Quoting Greenair727 (Reply 55):
^Seems unlikely though to have CMH-LHR service before a CLE-LHR service. Cleveland is a significantly larger market, both in terms of population and economy.

If you're using city metro populations, Columbus is 15th, Cleveland is 48th. In terms of cities not served by BA, Columbus is only smaller than SAT (close to AUS), SJC (close to SFO), JAX, and IND.

Widen it to MSA, and Cleveland has Columbus beat by only 70,000. Using MSAs not served by BA, both are smaller than MSP (DL), STL, CLT (AA), PIT, PDX, SAT, SAC, CVG, and MCI (LHR service in parenthesis).

joeman

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:19 pm

These metro population arguments drive me nuts when a.netters are arguing mine is bigger/better than yours just like always. It always starts with inner city comparison, then it goes to loosely defined metro areas and so let's up the anti and do the CSA so mine can be better than yours for the present:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

masseybrown

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:33 pm

Quoting joeman (Reply 57):
so let's up the anti and do the CSA so mine can be better than yours for the present:

CSA is a pretty fair definition of an airport's catchment area, provided there is only one airport with commercial service in the CSA.

flyCMH

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:12 am

Quoting joeman (Reply 57):
These metro population arguments drive me nuts when a.netters are arguing mine is bigger/better than yours just like always.
Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 58):
Quoting joeman (Reply 57):so let's up the anti and do the CSA so mine can be better than yours for the present:
CSA is a pretty fair definition of an airport's catchment area, provided there is only one airport with commercial service in the CSA.

Indeed. Since CSAs are based on commuting patterns it can be loosely inferred that similar patterns would apply to those driving for air travel.

Quoting StuckinCMHland (Reply 52):
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but what is the status of anyone bringing direct international flights (I assume TATL) to CMH? Is that just noise at this point, has there been any movement in that direction?

It's pretty fair to say in this industry that everything is just noise until the aircraft is at the gate.

In regards to CMH-TATL service, it's not going to happen until some major money is ponied up by multiple sources. Though chances do appear to keep getting better and better, with mid-sized cities such as AUS, BDL, PVD, and RDU all recently receiving new or increased transatlantic service. Whether CMH, or any mid-sized Midwest city for that matter, can provide what it takes to attract said service remains to be seen.

StuckinCMHland

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:17 am

Quoting flyCMH (Reply 59):
It's pretty fair to say in this industry that everything is just noise until the aircraft is at the gate.

In regards to CMH-TATL service, it's not going to happen until some major money is ponied up by multiple sources. Though chances do appear to keep getting better and better, with mid-sized cities such as AUS, BDL, PVD, and RDU all recently receiving new or increased transatlantic service. Whether CMH, or any mid-sized Midwest city for that matter, can provide what it takes to attract said service remains to be seen.

thank you for the replies, Now more questions:

1. What is 'major money'? 10 figures for x years?
2. Who? State or Local government? Private industry? Donations?   
3. What passenger numbers do they want?
4. CMH more vibrant then CLE economically, does that matter?
5. Does the fact that AC has service to YYZ that UA often uses to get people on routes to LHR work against CLE for non-stop TATL flights?

flyCMH

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:28 am

Quoting StuckinCMHland (Reply 60):

Using Delta's nonstop PIT-CDG as an example, the State of Pennsylvania and Allegheny County spent $9 million for a 3-year service guarantee back in 2009, after which DL could either continue the route or drop it. My guess would be that a similar stipend would be in order for service from CMH.

A combination of all of the above would probably be best. Considering local government already got burned backing one airline (Skybus), I'm not sure how willing they'd be to try again. It'd be hard getting money from the state as Cleveland and possibly Cincinnati would want similar treatment. DAY, CAK, TOL, and YNG authorities would probably want money for their own desired routes as well. If such money were to be gathered, it'd probably have to come from a travel bank sponsored by local companies as well as local economic development coalitions, such as the JET Task Force:

http://columbus.gov/planning/jettaskforce/

Not sure if there's necessarily a magic number that begets nonstop transatlantic service. I think the more pertinent question would be what kind of yields do they want. There could be more than sufficient demand from Central Ohio to a European gateway + connections, but if the fares aren't right, the service has no chance of any staying power.

That's a loaded question. Cleveland is in an overall resurgence mode right now with millions of dollars being spent in and around downtown focusing on their core strengths in the medical field, wealth management, and education. Northeast Ohio remains the largest population center in the state and has quite a bit of old wealth. Cleveland also has solid numbers to back up transatlantic service stemming from CO's LHR and CDG service as well as service to the former Czechoslovakia in the 80s and early 90s. In my opinion, CLE has just as much of a chance if not more so to land TATL service as CMH.

5. Does the fact that AC has service to UA often uses to get people on routes to LHR work against CLE for non-stop TATL flights?

Not sure why when the same service exists from CMH. Both will have 4x CR2 service to LHR via LHR service - adding more support to the quest for an airline to fly the route nonstop.

[Edited 2016-03-03 22:29:51]

NoTime

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:26 pm

I'll take a stab at these, too...

As flyCMH mentioned, it's a probably a big number for normal folks... probably not so big to the airlines. It'll need to be enough to guarantee that the airline won't lose much money if the route doesn't work out.

I know that airports often offer up deals such as "we guarantee XX% load factors, and if you don't hit that number we'll pay the difference."

Quote:

Probably all of them. The JET task force won't have the money, but can help gather resources from other places and lead the effort.

Maybe Les Wexner (Columbus' resident billionaire) will pony up a bit of money...?  
Quote:

At least enough to fill most of the seats in a TATL 757... if not a 787. Luckily, since it's going to LHR, that number can (and will) include a fair amount of folks connecting on to the rest of Europe.

Quote:

I absolutely think it matters. Financial and insurance companies are booming in Columbus, and it's the 3rd leading market (behind NY and LA) for fashion design and such. And, don't rule out the impact that Ohio State can have. I believe it's the third largest university in the US, and there's a lot of research money and projects going on there.

Quote:
5. Does the fact that AC has service to YYZ that UA often uses to get people on routes to LHR work against CLE for non-stop TATL flights?

To reference flyCMH's point, there are other airports that have the same situation. I don't see that as a problem, since the selling point is that the flight would be non-stop.

ouboy79

Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:47 pm

New route will be announced from TOL tomorrow. Sounds like G4.

flyCMH

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:00 pm

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 63):

New route will be announced from TOL tomorrow. Sounds like G4.

Nice! My guesses would be MYR first, followed by FLL or LAS.

Dark horse would be AA to DFW, CLT, or LGA.

ouboy79

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:07 pm

There is another route announcement from EVV, so I think that pushes a G4 announcement ahead of AA. I wouldn't rule out BWI for G4.

brooklynchris13

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:23 pm

Quoting NoTime (Reply 62):
I absolutely think it matters. Financial and insurance companies are booming in Columbus, and it's the 3rd leading market (behind NY and LA) for fashion design and such. And, don't rule out the impact that Ohio State can have. I believe it's the third largest university in the US, and there's a lot of research money and projects going on there.

Absolutely correct. There are a variety of trends that are making CMH more compelling for TATL service by someone. It is probably just a matter of time, airline, and aircraft type. It may not happen this year, but 2017 would seem likely at worst. In regards to some of the earlier discussions about MSA, CSA, etc, it also warrants reminding that CMH is within a two hour drive of the vast majority of the state. Not only does this make the catchment area larger for this flight than say F9 going to MCO, but it also increases the options and reasoning behind financial guarantees and other support at the local or state level.

In terms of other CMH news, I am curious if anyone has indications of advance bookings on F9s return to CMH? I really hope they succeed this time and could see quite a few possible additions to their service if they do well with the first four destinations.

-Chris

DeltaRules

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:16 am

MCO still seems to have some cheap fares available in its first month of service, but DEN and LAS have gotten to where they're both north of $300 r/t at times. I don't know if that's indicative of inventory or if the promotional fares ended.

Doing a dummy booking for June 19th-July 5th CMH-MCO ($140 r/t, around the times I'm going to Florida anyway), there are 10 seats currently occupied if the seat map is to be believed. The MCO-CMH segment isn't much better (both A321s). Granted, there could be people who didn't want to pay for reserved seats.

edit- CMH-DEN in early June is $385.99 r/t with only three and four seats showing as reserved on an A319. Has to have something to do with no takers on the pre-reserved seating.

[Edited 2016-03-07 16:26:03]

greenair727

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:27 am

Quoting brooklynchris13:
In regards to some of the earlier discussions about MSA, CSA, etc, it also warrants reminding that CMH is within a two hour drive of the vast majority of the state. Not only does this make the catchment area larger for this flight than say F9 going to MCO, but it also increases the options and reasoning behind financial guarantees and other support at the local or state level.

People in the 4mm catchment area of Cleveland aren't going to drive to Columbus to catch a flight. They only would if it was a special $99 fare to London or something. Also, if the destination is a point beyond London, it means a pax has to connect anyway, so CLE-EWR/JFK-Paris/Berlin/Amsterdam-Dublin-etc would be preferable than driving 2-3 hours to columbus only to have to then connect again at Heathrow. CMH means a connection PLUS five hours of driving. Folks in Cincinnati probably wouldn't do such a drive either. Toledo folks would go Detroit. Dayton to Columbus. Akron to Cleveland; and YNG to Cleveland or PIT. So the real catchment area of CMH is the counties around Columbus even for a LHR flight.

flyCMH

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:44 pm

Allegiant today announced 22 new routes and 3 new cities. Included are 3 new routes from 3 different Ohio cities:

Nonstop Service to Orlando Sanford International Airport (SFB) from:

Akron / Canton, Ohio - begins May 19, 2016

Nonstop Service to Myrtle Beach International Airport (MYR) from:

Toledo, Ohio - begins June 3, 2016 and ends Sept. 26, 2016

Nonstop Service to Jacksonville International Airport (JAX) from:

Columbus, Ohio - begins May 25, 2016 and ends Aug. 13, 2016

The press release from Allegiant:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/allegi...off-upcoming-summer-100000288.html

Local press:

Columbus

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...next-destination-jacksonville.html

Toledo

http://www.toledoblade.com/business/...ds-Toledo-Myrtle-beach-flight.html

Akron

http://www.ohio.com/business/lin-fis...west-dropping-some-routes-1.667241

brooklynchris13

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:21 pm

Quoting Greenair727 (Reply 68):
People in the 4mm catchment area of Cleveland aren't going to drive to Columbus to catch a flight. They only would if it was a special $99 fare to London or something. Also, if the destination is a point beyond London, it means a pax has to connect anyway, so CLE-EWR/JFK-Paris/Berlin/Amsterdam-Dublin-etc would be preferable than driving 2-3 hours to columbus only to have to then connect again at Heathrow. CMH means a connection PLUS five hours of driving. Folks in Cincinnati probably wouldn't do such a drive either. Toledo folks would go Detroit. Dayton to Columbus. Akron to Cleveland; and YNG to Cleveland or PIT. So the real catchment area of CMH is the counties around Columbus even for a LHR flight

By no means was I suggesting that the entire state of Ohio would be willing to travel to CMH for the benefit of N/S LHR service. However, If you were a business in Clark County, a student at Ashland University, or a retired person living in Marietta, it is entirely possible that you would consider heading to CMH for that flight (especially if it was/is price competitive) even though your "normal" airports would be DAY, CLE, or PKB. The same concept was at play for years as CMH served as an alternative airport for travelers closer to CVG but who did not want to pay higher airfare due to the dominance of DL. That situation has ebbed in recent years, but none-the-less, there is a market for a transatlantic flight that is at least somewhat larger than for a normal flight given a variety of factors. Even if its a small percentage of users it could have an impact. We will just have to wait and see...

DeltaRules

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:35 pm

Good to see G4 continue to grow in Ohio! Kind of felt like JAX was a matter of time out of LCK.

Quoting Greenair727 (Reply 68):
Also, if the destination is a point beyond London, it means a pax has to connect anyway, so CLE-EWR/JFK-Paris/Berlin/Amsterdam-Dublin-etc would be preferable than driving 2-3 hours to columbus only to have to then connect again at Heathrow.

There's an air service black hole in much of Southern, Southeastern, and parts of Eastern Ohio. Much of that territory would still have CMH as the closest airport with commercial service to a big swath from Wilmington (roughly equidistant to CMH and CVG) to Washington Court House, Chillicothe, Athens (Ohio University), Zanesville, Cambridge, and you could make an argument for Marietta if you ignore the EAS service to IAD at PKB. You have to get to about New Philadelphia on I-77 before CLE or PIT start to become closer than CMH.

Even going north, Lima is closer to CMH than other comers, Mansfield is a coin toss between CMH and CLE, and Findlay is .3 mile difference between CMH and DTW.

In any of the cases, you're looking at at least one connection to get to "secondary" places in Europe, whether it's CMH-LHR-ARN (for example) or CLE/CMH/DTW/PIT/CVG-JFK/IAD/CDG/other hub-ARN. From CLE and CMH, you're double connecting to get to STR unless you a) take DL through ATL or b) take AA/BA through LHR from CMH.

All of this uses CLE, CMH, DTW, CVG, and PIT as the "bigger" airports and ignores CAK, DAY, HTS, PKB, TOL, and CRW with less service. It's a bit of a vacuum, but those five have (DTW, CVG, PIT)/would be the most likely to gain (CLE, CMH) TATL service.

DeltaRules

Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:39 am

Reading through the Wikipedia page on ORD (curious to the new runway layout. I'm bored.), I found a company called Aerodynamics is apparently going to start YNG-ORD service on ERJ-145s, with the target launch date in May.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/feb/1...n-chicago-flights-expected-start-/

The section on Wikipedia says it's an EAS flight, but I don't think YNG is EAS eligible. Either way, it'd be good to see YNG finally get SOME other service.

brooklynchris13

Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:09 pm

Looking for a pleasant "hump day" activity, I was thinking that it might be a fun exercise to ask what everyone envisions for Ohio air service in 2020. A great deal can happen in four short years. Entire airline empires have risen and fallen (Skybus?!); Hubs can and have faded away into the darkness (CLE, CVG), or great aviation icons can see their last days of service.

So what do you predict for the Ohio airline/aviation world by 2020? Do you think there will be great changes, new entrants, a return to widebody service from CMH to MCI? Let the speculation begin!

I will go out on a limb and say:
1) JetBlue will serve: CVG, CMH, and CLE by 2020
2) Southwest will also serve only three airports in Ohio: CVG, CLE, CMH
*= yes, I know where CVG really is physically. Give it a rest.
3) The most talked about airport in Ohio will be ILN as the cargo operations of a certain large company exceed all expectations.

Your turn!

DeltaRules

Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:47 pm

Quoting brooklynchris13 (Reply 73):
3) The most talked about airport in Ohio will be ILN as the cargo operations of a certain large company exceed all expectations.

Might not have to wait long for that.  

Amazon officially outed themselves as the customer for Aerosmith and is going to step up their operations, even acquiring a stake in ATSG: http://seekingalpha.com/pr/16417154-...azon-operate-air-transport-network

NoTime

Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:10 pm

Quoting brooklynchris13 (Reply 73):
So what do you predict for the Ohio airline/aviation world by 2020? Do you think there will be great changes, new entrants, a return to widebody service from CMH to MCI? Let the speculation begin!

My (central Ohio) predictions/hopes:

By 2020, CMH will be the leading airport in the state (in terms of passenger numbers). I think the economics and location of the city have it primed to take the lead, now that CLE and CVG have been de-hubbed.

By 2020, CMH will have two additional carriers. Maybe Spirit, maybe JetBlue... maybe Alaska will finally bring nonstop SEA service.

By 2020, LCK will be a top 30 (in the US) cargo airport. (Bit of a longshot, but who knows!)

YNGguins

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:23 am

I've held off on bringing up the ADI flights. Hopeful of an official announcement within next two weeks. Will report more then... It is NOT EAS.

Buckeyetech

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:54 pm

duplicate.

[Edited 2016-03-10 10:57:14]

DeltaRules

Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:29 pm

I'll have to think more about predictions. Good question.

ILN will be a part of the Amazon/ATSG network, according to a friend in the know with regard to ABX.

GREAT news for that area. They needed it after being decimated by DHL moving cargo ops to CVG; I was afraid Amazon might want to do something similar.

DeltaRules

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:14 pm

Talked to a friend who works at CMH today. He says he wonders if the LHR service will actually be a through flight, though he agrees (as we've discussed) an AA 757 makes the most sense nonstop.

flyguy89

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:40 pm

CVG just posted February traffic stats with pax traffic up 9.84% for the month. Have any of the other Ohio airports posted yet?

flyinryan99

Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:31 am

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 80):

After January's decline in passenger traffic from 2015, February 2016 rebounded with a slight increase of 2.2%. A total of 13,899 passengers flew thru TOL in February. Allegiant Air handled 8,657 and American Airlines operated by Envoy handled 5,022.

For those who may not have heard, TOL is hosting it's first Air Show in more than 10 years and will be held July 16-17 with the main feature the Thunderbirds. The ramp will be filled with A LOT of aircraft.

NoTime

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:29 pm

Two CMH-related articles from the last few days:

Passenger numbers at central Ohio airports keep rising (up 11.5% for Feb!)

Port Columbus unveils $80 million in improvements.

flyguy89

Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:17 pm

Quoting flyinryan99 (Reply 81):
After January's decline in passenger traffic from 2015, February 2016 rebounded with a slight increase of 2.2%.

Nice! An increase is an increase, and I imagine the numbers will only improve this summer with the addition of TOL-MYR.

DL is surprisingly experiencing a increased passenger traffic at CVG: http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...local-passengers-spike-at-cvg.html

I don't have the numbers, but perhaps their prices have become more reasonable.

DeltaRules

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:12 pm

I got to see a bit of the finished product the other night coming in from CLT but will have to have a better look my next time out. The Legacy of Leadership exhibit on the second level above the B checkpoint is interesting to look through, so hopefully more get to visit it on the first floor. Fun seeing the old pics; lots of memories of seeing TWA at CMH early mornings before vacations stick out in my mind.

I figured the talks of a new terminal referred to in the article were fairly dependent on Skybus being a success and were really presumptuous at the time.

YNGguins

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:31 am

Here is a video on the improvements being made at the Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport: http://wkbn.com/2016/03/24/youngstow...en-regional-airport-gets-new-look/

Here is a photo that predates the video.
https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlp1/v/t1.0-9/8268_1171974752836350_340920430464995214_n.jpg?oh=5b732b6679fc53cb741f749b49690432&oe=578C3021

Here is a news release on Tuesdays announcement of new daily airline service from YNG to ORD: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/mar/2...earing-takeoff-in-valle/?newswatch

flyCMH

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:51 am

Quoting NoTime (Reply 82):
Two CMH-related articles from the last few days:

Passenger numbers at central Ohio airports keep rising (up 11.5% for Feb!)

Port Columbus unveils $80 million in improvements.

The over 11% growth is passenger traffic in February is pretty fantastic. Schedules from now until May show even or slightly more capacity in comparison to last year, so it's not out of the question that CMH will continue to see double-digit even before Frontier's return in late May.

Video of the ceremony commemorating the (near) completion of the $80mil terminal improvement project can be found here:

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/...umbus-debuts-new-80m-facelift.html

The last time I flew through CMH was late December and the improvements completed at the time were definitely noteworthy, particularly the new check-in hall, which is a vast improvement over the original 1980's design.

flyinryan99

Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:38 pm

Quoting YNGguins (Reply 85):
Here is a news release on Tuesdays announcement of new daily airline service from YNG to ORD:

Did ADI get an airline to interline with? Interesting concept that, if works, could probably be applied to other cities.

YNGguins

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:07 pm

The service will connect flyers with flights from American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines and JetBlue, Dickten said. - See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/mar/2...le/?newswatch#sthash.INz6WrdM.dpuf

brooklynchris13

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:42 pm

The full numbers have been posted by CRAA for February and show some interesting trends. Even consolidating the numbers between the US Airways Side and AA side, mainline growth at CMH is around 15% YOY for AA, 7.4% for DL, 134%! for UA and 19.5% for WN.

http://flycolumbus.com/files/airline...ebruary-2016-flycolumbus-stats.pdf

Granted, the UA increase appears to be the result of additional mainline service into CMH and reduced UA Express flying, but still the increases are impressive, especially for February. It will be very interesting to see the numbers for March and April with spring break travel and then into May/June/July with the return of F9 (as mentioned above).

I also have to second the thoughts on the new renovations. I have been through CMH quite a bit in the last few months and I am impressed at what they have managed to do with what is really a pretty old building. It looks quite impressive and is also functional.

StuckinCMHland

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:08 pm

Quoting brooklynchris13 (Reply 89):
The full numbers have been posted by CRAA for February and show some interesting trends. Even consolidating the numbers between the US Airways Side and AA side, mainline growth at CMH is around 15% YOY for AA, 7.4% for DL, 134%! for UA and 19.5% for WN.

http://flycolumbus.com/files/airline...ebruary-2016-flycolumbus-stats.pdf

Granted, the UA increase appears to be the result of additional mainline service into CMH and reduced UA Express flying, but still the increases are impressive, especially for February. It will be very interesting to see the numbers for March and April with spring break travel and then into May/June/July with the return of F9 (as mentioned above).

I also have to second the thoughts on the new renovations. I have been through CMH quite a bit in the last few months and I am impressed at what they have managed to do with what is really a pretty old building. It looks quite impressive and is also functional.

The place looks great, but then I thought the place always looked great in comparison to so many other airports. even large ones. Frankly the only airport I've been in recently I like better better was MSP.

If i had one idea for CRAA it would be a people mover for Concourse B, at least down to the big slope past Gate B25 and B28, to get to B29-36. It might be the times I fly, but I see a lot of older people having trouble with the walkway from the TSA checkpoint to the gates at the far end of the terminal. It is a fairly long walk in Terminal C to get to all the Delta gates too, but I have not seen nearly as many people struggle with that walk as they do with the B Concourse walk.

Now if they could find a better place to eat than Wolfgang Puck down there too I wouldn't complain either!  Wow!

brooklynchris13

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:12 pm

Quoting StuckinCMHland (Reply 90):
The place looks great, but then I thought the place always looked great in comparison to so many other airports. even large ones. Frankly the only airport I've been in recently I like better better was MSP.

If i had one idea for CRAA it would be a people mover for Concourse B, at least down to the big slope past Gate B25 and B28, to get to B29-36. It might be the times I fly, but I see a lot of older people having trouble with the walkway from the TSA checkpoint to the gates at the far end of the terminal. It is a fairly long walk in Terminal C to get to all the Delta gates too, but I have not seen nearly as many people struggle with that walk as they do with the B Concourse walk.

MSP? I don't know if I can go along with that one. Parts are nice and it has a theater, but it also has the oddest layout of any airport I have ever been too. I remain convinced that IND is the one to beat.

As for a people mover, not a bad idea, but I have never seen one on an incline, would be interesting. I think you may have also hit on a reason why F9 may end up at the empty gates in C rather than the far end of B, its a much more accessible location and F9 gets rewarded for being first. Then B6 and NK can duke it out for B35 and B36.  

DeltaRules

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Quoting brooklynchris13 (Reply 91):
As for a people mover, not a bad idea, but I have never seen one on an incline

DCA has moving sidewalks on the enclosed bridge(s) between the Metro station/garage and the terminal, though the slope might be less than that between the "high" and "low" B gates.

...I was just about to post that when I remembered CLT having moving sidewalks between the food court and B and C, which might be a better example. I knew I'd seen some recently.

YNGguins

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:18 am

Here is some press (video and news articles) from today's announcement of daily service between YNG and ORD beginning 6/1/2016:

WKBN-TV:
http://wkbn.com/2016/03/29/youngstow...port-announces-service-to-chicago/

WFMJ-TV:
http://www.wfmj.com/story/31592943/d...oungstown-and-chicago-begin-june-1

Youngstown Vindicator:
http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/mar/2...di-will-connect-valley-travelers-/

DeltaRules

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:12 am

Good for YNG- I hope it works out for them. Figured it'd be a daily flight, but there are a couple flights 2x/day, which is good to see. The ERJ's not a bad ride.

CMHSRQ

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:23 am

Frontiers ticket counters are installed at CMH. Located between American and Delta. The old Delta counters are gone with a big blank wall and open space replacing them. I presume it's future space/overflow for the TSA and their continuing effort to take over everything.

Frontier14

Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:15 am

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 95):
Frontiers ticket counters are installed at CMH. Located between American and Delta.

Do you know what gate Frontier will be operating out of? Thanks in advance.

Frontier 14

flyCMH

Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:29 am

Quoting flyinryan99 (Reply 87):
Quoting YNGguins (Reply 85):Here is a news release on Tuesdays announcement of new daily airline service from YNG to ORD:
Did ADI get an airline to interline with? Interesting concept that, if works, could probably be applied to other cities

First off, huge congratulations to the Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport and the Western Reserve Port Authority in landing this new service. As mentioned in the multiple articles and interviews, this could potentially be a game changer for YNG and the future of air service in the Mahoning Valley.

Though as mentioned in post #87, it's not clear as to whether this outfit will have a true interline agreement to facilitate connections in ORD. Will it be possible to go onto the airline's website and buy a full itinerary, say YNG-ORD-LAX with the latter portion on UA all on the same ticket? Or will this be a build-your-own connection deal, where one has to buy the ORD-LAX portion separate from the YNG-ORD segment. If the latter is the case, then a lot of the synergies anticipated are non-existent.

Either way, I hope the local market responds well to the new service so that it can thrive and possibly expand to other markets. Again, a lot of recognition is deserved to the people at YNG for their dedication to making such a feat a reality.

YNGguins

Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:25 pm

Quoting flyCMH (Reply 97):
First off, huge congratulations to the Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport and the Western Reserve Port Authority in landing this new service. As mentioned in the multiple articles and interviews, this could potentially be a game changer for YNG and the future of air service in the Mahoning Valley.

Though as mentioned in post #87, it's not clear as to whether this outfit will have a true interline agreement to facilitate connections in ORD. Will it be possible to go onto the airline's website and buy a full itinerary, say YNG-ORD-LAX with the latter portion on UA all on the same ticket? Or will this be a build-your-own connection deal, where one has to buy the ORD-LAX portion separate from the YNG-ORD segment. If the latter is the case, then a lot of the synergies anticipated are non-existent.

Either way, I hope the local market responds well to the new service so that it can thrive and possibly expand to other markets. Again, a lot of recognition is deserved to the people at YNG for their dedication to making such a feat a reality.

"The service to Chicago will provide travelers with connections to more than 130 destinations on other network carriers, including American, Delta, United and Jet Blue."

I am not sure how the booking will work entirely yet, but I do know via all the big travel websites you'll be able to seamlessly book all of your travel at one time, not in separate segments.

StuckinCMHland

Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:50 pm

Quoting Frontier14 (Reply 96):
Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 95):
Frontiers ticket counters are installed at CMH. Located between American and Delta.

Do you know what gate Frontier will be operating out of? Thanks in advance.

Frontier 14

If the ticketing area is there I would guess the empty C gates.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos