Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

atlflyer
Topic Author

Delta To Modernize 85 ATL Gates/$136 Million

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Delta will give its 85 gates at ATL a much needed facelift including changing ceilings to a modern design and adding windows. Links show current look and future look.

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/01/...-gate-areas-at-hartsfield-jackson/

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...e-85-gate-areas-at-hartsfield.html

enilria

RE: Delta To Modernize 85 ATL Gates/$136 Million

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:17 pm

If they aren't widening the concourses I don't think the experience will be competitive with other airports and for $136m I'm doubting they are doing much because widening the concourses would cost a ton.

Josh32121

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:27 pm

This will do a lot to make the concourses feel much more open even if they aren't adding square footage. I think the gripes about the narrow concourses are a bit overblown. There are lots of people, but everyone is always moving. There's never jams where people are standing still.

It looks like they will be adding lots more windows, which makes me very happy. I feel like you should always be able to see the aircraft you're about to get on from the holdroom, and you can't always do that in ATL.

If this does anything to help contain queues of boarding passengers within the holdroom area and keep them from spilling into the main walkway, that will be a big help. I think the layout now is a bigger factor than square footage. Force people to queue up along the window wall (like the WN gates) rather than perpendicular out into the walkway.
ATLien

Polot

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:32 pm

It would be nice if they removed some of the walls between gates too, but I suspect that is unlikely to happen in a rather inexpensive renovation as that would require moving restrooms, concessions, etc.

ncflyer

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:47 pm

I wish they could Detroit-icize the gates in Atlanta--- I love the space, I love the abundant natural light, I love great concessions throughout the terminal, I love seeing the ultra-clean trains whizzing by overhead, but that would cost several times more and require shutting down gates during renovation. . . .

Just reading the brief article, it seems like keeping gates open is as important to DL as the money being spent.

william

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:48 pm

http://airwaysnews.com/galleries/12074.jpg

So less red and windows added into the beige exterior above the red. Will change the look externally.

Same effect of adding skylights over the hallway but in reverse. Smart and relatively cheap.

jetlanta

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:48 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 1):
If they aren't widening the concourses I don't think the experience will be competitive with other airports and for $136m I'm doubting they are doing much because widening the concourses would cost a ton.

And get off my lawn you kids!

Seriously, its about making the experience more pleasant. I don't think ATL is terribly worried about being "uncompetitive".

enilria

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Quoting Josh32121 (Reply 2):
I think the gripes about the narrow concourses are a bit overblown. There are lots of people, but everyone is always moving. There's never jams where people are standing still.

People are moving, but they are not moving fast enough when airlines schedule 30 minute connects. You frequently need to run to get where you are going and the terminal is really too clogged to accommodate that.

Most of the terminal is 36 years old and Delta made $5B last year, WN made a lot too. They need a better product in ATL to live up to their brand expectations. Windows and high ceilings won't solve the problems.

FlyPNS1

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 7):

People are moving, but they are not moving fast enough when airlines schedule 30 minute connects.

Delta's official minimum connection time for ATL (domestic to domestic) is 35 minutes. Admittedly, that is very tight, but it is doable. You can pretty much get from any gate in ATL to any other gate in ATL in under 20 minutes.

They need a better product in ATL to live up to their brand expectations. Windows and high ceilings won't solve the problems.

Even if DL added another 20 feet to each concourse, I don't think it would make a huge difference in the overall experience.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:10 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 8):

And the way their flight schedules are built in ATL, that accounts for a small percentage of connections. You will see most of those on the PM SKD.
What gets measured gets done.

kbmiflyer

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:17 pm

This will do a lot to make the concourses feel much more open even if they aren't adding square footage. I think the gripes about the narrow concourses are a bit overblown. There are lots of people, but everyone is always moving. There's never jams where people are standing still.

If passengers could learn not to queue up for their flights in the middle of the concourse that would help. Other than that, I have always found ATL's concourses tight but not really a big deal.

Ezra

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Quoting Kbmiflyer (Reply 10):
If passengers could learn not to queue up for their flights in the middle of the concourse that would help. Other than that, I have always found ATL's concourses tight but not really a big deal.

Haven't there been some articles lately about how DL is testing a new boarding procedure at some ATL gates to get passengers to line up for flights along the window side of the gatehouse so that lines don't snake into the concourse?

widget1580

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Does anyone have any clue on what DL has decided to do with the experimental gates at B5/B7? The concourses are always packed especially when two flights are boarding across the concourse from each other, the concept seems to help alleviate congestion.

Rdh3e

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:52 pm

I don't think the experience will be competitive with other airports
They need a better product in ATL to live up to their brand expectations

As if there are so many passengers booking their tickets based on "concourse competitiveness"      

DCA-ROCguy

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:08 pm

Atlanta has always been one of the most drab and boring airports I've used. It's a perfect example of functional but boring 70's design. A renovation to add windows and redesign the interior is most welcome. It sounds like these things are coming at a reasonable price tag for 85 gates, too. Sure, we'd all like Delta to widen the concourses, but if they're not going do that, at least make the place more pleasant.

Most important, perhaps, are the plans to add electrical outlets. One of the most frustrating features of many airports I use is insufficient outlets for my phone and laptop. Southwest has been a leader in making gate areas electronics-friendly. Their renovation at LAX T1, for instance, is adding lots of outlets and work tables to a very dated terminal whose yet-unrenovated sections have hardly an outlet to be found. Good for DL, making similar improvement at ATL.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

LAX772LR

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:09 pm

but they are not moving fast enough when airlines schedule 30 minute connects.

1) that's below their minimum connect time there.

2) it's not like they're forcing anyone to purchase flights with a short connection

3) instead of whining, if it bothers you so much, fly/connect somewhere else... is it really that difficult of a concept?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

seabosdca

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:20 pm

They won't be ideal, but they will be competitive with other hub airports. No major hub has enough people space at this point, when the bulk of gates intended for 100- to 120-seat aircraft are taking 160- to 180-seat aircraft, and when space intended to be one or two of those gates is being used to handle many 50- or 76-seat flights. You encounter the same crowding everywhere else.

ldvaviation

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:35 pm

Ceiling clouds? Thats's a questionable choice.

$135 million? Not much money for a project of this scope. This project already reeks of value engineering.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:40 pm

Concourse D is really the only concourse with a significant width problem, so it's also notable that D is the only domestic concourse not getting the facelift (according to the newspaper article linked above, it's only T, A, B, and C).

Rdh3e

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:49 pm

Quoting ldvaviation (Reply 17):
$135 million? Not much money for a project of this scope. This project already reeks of value engineering.

Actually seems like a lot if you consider the scope as "refurb the gates" instead of "refresh the terminal".

That's over $1.5M per gate area.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:58 pm

Quoting ldvaviation (Reply 17):
Ceiling clouds? Thats's a questionable choice.

This is not NYC. This is Atlanta, GA where in general, labor is much cheaper. Again, how much do you think it costs to remove aluminum paneling, add windows, add seats with power ports, paint the place, remove ceiling tile and add molding to the ceiling, etc? This is really all that they are doing.

Quoting AVLAirlineFreq (Reply 18):
Concourse D is really the only concourse with a significant width problem, so it's also notable that D is the only domestic concourse not getting the facelift (according to the newspaper article linked above, it's only T, A, B, and C).

I think the thing with D is the city has already committed to renovating D much more than they have already. So DL's smart. Let them pay for it even if they have to wait a bit longer. D is slated to get new jet ways (for the gates the city owns), new flooring/ceiling/walls, and widening at some point in the future.

atlflyer
Topic Author

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:50 pm

Quoting Rdh3e (Reply 19):

Exactly. $1.5 million per gate seems like a pretty nice amount.

mayor

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:54 pm

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (Reply 14):
Most important, perhaps, are the plans to add electrical outlets. One of the most frustrating features of many airports I use is insufficient outlets for my phone and laptop. Southwest has been a leader in making gate areas electronics-friendly. Their renovation at LAX T1, for instance, is adding lots of outlets and work tables to a very dated terminal whose yet-unrenovated sections have hardly an outlet to be found. Good for DL, making similar improvement at ATL.

Is WN really the leader in this? DL's terminal at SLC has had outlets, etc. for quite a few years, now. I believe that JFK has them, too. IIRC, ATL HAS had them in some of the gates.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:57 pm

Also,

Not in the article but they will be replacing their oldest jet ways on T/A/B. They will also be installing individual HVAC units on those bridges. B concourse has central chillers/heaters for the bridges which can prove to be unreliable.

The bridges they remove will be refurbished and sent to other cities for use.

gokmengs

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:57 pm

Its telling when $136 million in improvements for 85 Gates seems like value/cosmetic for many  

Edit:Spelling

[Edited 2016-01-20 10:57:57]
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

ldvaviation

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:36 pm

Quoting gokmengs (Reply 24):
Its telling when $136 million in improvements for 85 Gates seems like value/cosmetic for many

Perspective: LAWA will be spending about $200 million to move things around in LAX T4 and add two gates. That's about $13 million per gate.

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 20):
This is not NYC. This is Atlanta, GA where in general, labor is much cheaper. Again, how much do you think it costs to remove aluminum paneling, add windows, add seats with power ports, paint the place, remove ceiling tile and add molding to the ceiling, etc? This is really all that they are doing.

For that amount of money, this is what I figured.

airliner371

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 22):
Is WN really the leader in this?

WN started putting power ports in it's gate areas before that was the popular thing for airlines to do.

catiii

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:45 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 26):
WN started putting power ports in it's gate areas before that was the popular thing for airlines to do.

I don't know about that. Delta was doing it as early as 2010...

airliner371

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 27):
I don't know about that.

And Southwest started in early 2007, when the new boarding procedures were announced, they also introduced their new gate area which included power ports before other airlines were jumping on airport charging stations.

ckfred

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:32 pm

My guess is that when the "Midfield" complex was built, the alleys were built, so that 2 747s could pass each other, while other large aircraft were parked on either side of the alley.

At least, that is how UA explained the construction of Concourses B and C at ORD.

If the concourses were widened, besides having to rip off the facade on each side of A, B, and C, along with the DL end of T, it would push parked aircraft closer to the alley. If DL was like WN and just flew 737s, that wouldn't be a problem. But with the 747s, 767s, 777s, and A330s, those alleys could get a bit narrow.

Personally, I always thought the beige color was more like the orange or red of Georgia clay.

1337Delta764

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:25 am

I wonder if they will add windows to the ends of the concourses. It was a mistake not to include them to begin with.

strfyr51

Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:34 am

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (Reply 14):
Atlanta has always been one of the most drab and boring airports I've used. It's a perfect example of functional but boring 70's design. A renovation to add windows and redesign the interior is most welcome. It sounds like these things are coming at a reasonable price tag for 85 gates, too. Sure, we'd all like Delta to widen the concourses, but if they're not going do that, at least make the place more pleasant.

some years ago United utilized a fast track building method at Denver Stapleton where the new terminal was built right Over the old terminal, Then they tore down the old terminal while the new terminal was in operation over it. It allowed passenger operations to continue while the construction was in progress.
Once the project was complete? Denver's Mayor Pena CLOSED Stapleton to move the whole shootin' match to DIA. Denver closed Stapleton and tore up the runways but that terminal was still open as an office building for quite a while.
I have no idea whether it still Exists but it was in eyesight of the United Pilot training center DENTK, 7500 E. 35th in Denverif you use google maps and zoom out you cn still make out areas where the airport was including the runwey

MSPNWA

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:29 am

First time I've seen the renderings. More windows and power ports will be nice, but it really is lipstick on a pig. The real problem with T through C is the narrow passageways that cannot handle the high traffic.

It's one of the worst concourse experiences of a major airport in the country. I don't see that as being overblown. The only one I place just as poorly is CLT.

Even if DL added another 20 feet to each concourse, I don't think it would make a huge difference in the overall experience.

In T through C, another 20 feet would be HUGE. It's the single most important thing the ATL concourses need.

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 30):

I wonder if they will add windows to the ends of the concourses. It was a mistake not to include them to begin with.

That would be a welcome addition. It was cheap to have so few windows.

ikramerica

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:41 am

You may think it's overblown but the traveling public notices. I personally hate ATL because of this and do whatever I can not to connect there with my family. If I have to connect there, we need to leave lots of time for connections because it's so hard to get from one gate to another with children. People walk over you, no moving walkways. It's a fustercluck.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

deltal1011man

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:45 am

they will likely never make anything any more wide than they currently. Going up is going to be the future

People are moving, but they are not moving fast enough when airlines schedule 30 minute connects. You frequently need to run to get where you are going and the terminal is really too clogged to accommodate that.

you go under the minimum connect time its your problem.

Most of the terminal is 36 years old and Delta made $5B last year, WN made a lot too. They need a better product in ATL to live up to their brand expectations. Windows and high ceilings won't solve the problems.

Can you prove that adding a single inch to the concourses will bring in additional revenue for either airline?

Delta's official minimum connection time for ATL (domestic to domestic) is 35 minutes. Admittedly, that is very tight, but it is doable. You can pretty much get from any gate in ATL to any other gate in ATL in under 20 minutes.

exactly. I have yet to ever have a single problem in Atlanta. (or any other airport in the US for that matter.)

Quoting AVLAirlineFreq (Reply 18):

The city is going to be the money putting money into D.

Quoting ldvaviation (Reply 25):

Perspective: LAWA will be spending about $200 million to move things around in LAX T4 and add two gates. That's about $13 million per gate.

two things about that, re-configuring generally costs more because its more than just cosmetic changes and LA and NYC costs (labor, EPA etc) are not really comparable to Georgia.

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 32):

It's one of the worst concourse experiences of a major airport in the country. I don't see that as being overblown. The only one I place just as poorly is CLT.

As we all know, not a single thing Delta can do to make you happy, so big shocker you have issues in Atlanta.

airliner371

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:52 am

I personally find moving through ATL very easy. I think if DL moved boarding lines parallel to the windows like Southwest does, it would reduce congestion in the concourse significantly. I wonder if the city will follow by doing the other area's Delta won't be updating.

b727fa

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:14 am

B5/7 are amazing. I truly hope it's expanded. Signs point to yes as they've moved from "flip chart" signs for the lanes to flat panel screens over each. Plus the new(est) addition/tweak of he "Special Assist" lane that is perpendicular (ala WN) to the "wall lanes" lends credibility to the idea that the overall redesign is firming up for a larger rollout.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

deltal1011man

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:28 am

Quoting B727FA (Reply 36):

B5/7 are amazing. I truly hope it's expanded. Signs point to yes as they've moved from "flip chart" signs for the lanes to flat panel screens over each. Plus the new(est) addition/tweak of he "Special Assist" lane that is perpendicular (ala WN) to the "wall lanes" lends credibility to the idea that the overall redesign is firming up for a larger rollout.

I think they are planning to roll out something but I'm not sure if they are done doing tests and B5/7 is the final product or not.

I hope the desks are not final. Way to much white to me.

AVLAirlineFreq

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:35 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 20):
I think the thing with D is the city has already committed to renovating D much more than they have already. So DL's smart. Let them pay for it even if they have to wait a bit longer. D is slated to get new jet ways (for the gates the city owns), new flooring/ceiling/walls, and widening at some point in the future.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

airliner371

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:58 am

Quoting B727FA (Reply 36):

Are the boarding lanes still just a line on the floor or have they added a rope? I think a rope could help but I also haven't used either gate.

anthonycII

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:41 am

Great to hear about adding windows. I always wondered why all of the orange panels on the terminal walls as opposed to windows.

N776AU

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:14 pm

I think also that would mess with operations. If I remember right every ramp but one can pass two 767s at the same time.

I think the gripes about the narrow concourses are a bit overblown. There are lots of people, but everyone is always moving. There's never jams where people are standing still.

Quoting mayor (Reply 22):
ATL HAS had them in some of the gates.

All of Delta's gates do. Can't say that about Southwest around here.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

Polot

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:49 pm

The concourses at CLT are not that bad. It is just the airfield/terminal layout that makes CLT hell.

compensateme

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:35 pm

Quoting ldvaviation (Reply 25):

Ah, California  . I still remember SJC's proposed $5B expansion plan in the mid-2000s, in an era in which It was struggling to attract service. And that was before the construction boom inflated construction pricing...

In T through C, another 20 feet would be HUGE. It's the single most important thing the ATL concourses need.

A lot of exciting, but really, $138M isn't going to buy much. DL is primarily refreshing its gate hold areas for the first time in over 25 years (sans the addition of the flat screen displays). UA's in the process of doing the same thing at ORD, and it'll cost $50M-$60M. Kudos to DL for going a step further, but I also suspect the incumbent windows & ceiling needed replacing, anyway. In the end, just routine capex that have been deferred for too long.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:54 pm

Quoting polot (Reply 42):

CLT is worse than ATL! Just my opinion of course. Have you been on B/C in the middle of a bank? You cannot walk without running into someone then they have the nerve to use those electric carts. There's a reason ehy there are no carts on D in ATL..space. CLT is also very narrow on B and C.

b727fa

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:36 pm

The lanes are still "lines." They had used posts and lanes but those seem to gone now. They felt very tight with them. Something is coming...agree the visual isn't perfect, but I suspect the major elements are pretty set.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

jetlanta

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:22 pm

Quoting compensateme (Reply 43):
A lot of exciting, but really, $138M isn't going to buy much. DL is primarily refreshing its gate hold areas for the first time in over 25 years (sans the addition of the flat screen displays). UA's in the process of doing the same thing at ORD, and it'll cost $50M-$60M. Kudos to DL for going a step further, but I also suspect the incumbent windows & ceiling needed replacing, anyway. In the end, just routine capex that have been deferred for too long.

That is actually not entirely accurate. They concourses were just significantly updated only a few years ago. Granite tiles replaced carpet in the hallways. Gates were re-carpeted. New seats were installed. Hard surfaces replaced not-so-hard surfaces on walls and pillars. HVAC and other internal systems were replaced. And new ceilings and lighting were installed. Most of that does not need to be done again, especially the expensive systems replacement. The facility has been very well-maintained.

The new project, however, is much more cosmetic and will lead to a dramatically altered look-and-feel for the facility. That is the primary goal of this project. To improve the customer experience and perception.

DTWPurserBoy

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:20 pm

A while back another a.netter had the idea of adding a floor above the existing concourses with moving sidewalks and escalators down to the gate level. It would be relatively easy to then connect to the center of each concourse with the tram system.

IMHO the concourses would look more open and could add abundant light with the existing ceiling/roof removed and would eliminate the traffic changing gates and concourses to their own upper level. It would make for a more relaxed atmosphere.

One problem which must be addressed is a lack of adequate rest room facilities. ATL is the only place I have ever seen where there were lines waiting outside the men's rooms. But this is an inexpensive fluffing of a building which outgrew its usefulness far too quickly. I remember when it opened what a relief it was compared to the old terminal and the trams had the prerecorded computer voice from what I think was 2001: A Space Odyssey. That has been changed since it became outdated but at the time it used to make folks smile.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

compensateme

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:32 pm

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 46):
That is actually not entirely accurate. They concourses were just significantly updated only a few years ago. Granite tiles replaced carpet in the hallways. Gates were re-carpeted. New seats were installed. Hard surfaces replaced not-so-hard surfaces on walls and pillars. HVAC and other internal systems were replaced. And new ceilings and lighting were installed. Most of that does not need to be done again, especially the expensive systems replacement. The facility has been very well-maintained.The new project, however, is much more cosmetic and will lead to a dramatically altered look-and-feel for the facility. That is the primary goal of this project. To improve the customer experience and perception.

You know as well as anybody that DL hasn't updated its gate hold areas in about 25 years or so. Routine maintenance is just that, and DL has largely avoided the capex. As I mentioned earlier, UA was in a similar situation at ORD and is currently in the middle of overhauling its gate holds at ORD to what will ultimately be to the tune of $50M-$60M. My point was that these projects are expensive and for the minimal amount of money that's being spent, you can't expect things like a widened concourse.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

jetlanta

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:03 pm

Quoting compensateme (Reply 48):
You know as well as anybody that DL hasn't updated its gate hold areas in about 25 years or so. Routine maintenance is just that, and DL has largely avoided the capex. As I mentioned earlier, UA was in a similar situation at ORD and is currently in the middle of overhauling its gate holds at ORD to what will ultimately be to the tune of $50M-$60M. My point was that these projects are expensive and for the minimal amount of money that's being spent, you can't expect things like a widened concourse.

I get what you are saying, I just think you haven't noticed that work that has actually been done in the past few years. Ceilings have been replaced. Lighting has been replaced. Carpets have been replaced (multiple times). Gate desks have been replaced. LCD screens have been added. Seating has been replaced. Granite has been added in the queue space in the gate areas and the hallway. Walls have had granite added to the lower areas while new branding and art graces the upper areas. Literally on the only thing that hasn't changed in the past few years are the windows. The space may not look radically different, but it has been extensively updated on a continual basis for years.

On the other hand, I'm not sure UA has actually touched ORD since it was built, until now. So you are definitely right about that!

And I also agree on the concourse widening. There is no capex or operational justification for it. Frankly, It can't be done without a unacceptable operational impact. Those concourses handle smaller average aircraft size now than they have ever handled. I'm not sure why people think this is a critical issue today. The place survived multiple L-1011/767's at a time for a couple decades and people didn't start moving their business to BHM!