Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wxman11
Topic Author

Careful When Asking Questions To Pilots

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:18 am

Hi folks,

I wanted to share with you all of a incident that took place when asking airline pilots questions. It turned out that an individual working at the airport had approached an FO while performing his walk around and asked a question about the trim setting of the A320 in the cockpit next to the throttles, whether the Take-off CG was used or if the ZFWCG was used. The FO of course was surprised by this that he gave misleading information to the individual. Don't know what the FO said to the individual. Thanking the FO for his time, and perhaps unsatisfied with his response, the individual left gate to continue doing this next task.

Soon after the individual was called back by his manager because the station manager of the airline the individual asked the FO from, FO expressed concerned over the question the individual had asked, requiring the attention of local law personnel. After being questioned by the police on why the individual asked the FO the question, the individual said that he asked it because he had the A320 in his flight sim and wanted clarification on the trim setting, to ensure he was flying the aircraft as real as possible. Station manager for the airline felt re-assured that there was no intention of foul play, along with police officer and airport safety officer, that the individual was advised to be careful on the kind of questions when asking airline pilots. Needless to say, the flight departed 1hr 20 mins late because of it.

What do you think? Should an individual ask airline pilots technical questions while working at the airport?
If the FO gave misleading info to the individual and the individual took his word and left without posing any threat to anybody, should the FO react the way he did by notifying the station manager then having police, TSA, etc involve and delay the flight?

Me personally, I would think that any pilot would be happy to answer any question, general or specific. How often does a pilot get tired answering general questions and would like, for once, get asked a specific technical question? Who knew that a question like what the individual asked would put people on the spot. Yet, what I found hard to believe is that its ok to ask these questions outside of the airport rather than within the airport. One would think that people working at the airport are in a "controlled" environment that it should be ok to ask pilots specific technical questions but then again I could be wrong. I figure I share was I heard to those out there.

vhtje

RE: Careful When Asking Questions To Pilots

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:29 am

It seems to me that the individual might have saved a lot of trouble if he had explained to the FO that he was an avid SIM pilot and aviation enthusiast.

In my experience, pilots love to talk aviation to amateurs. Who knows, it probably could have sparked a deeper, more interesting conversation.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

roseflyer

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:31 am

It is all about how the question is asked. With regards to security everyone is coached to be cautious. Next time strike up a conversation with a pilot sitting at a restaurant or waiting around. Casual conversations are fine when you are up front. That question sounded like it could be from someone wanting to steal a plane and take off. With ramp access you have access to a lot.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

wxman11
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:57 am

Quoting vhtje (Reply 1):

I agree. The individual should have introduce himself first before asking the question. I would have assumed that the FO would have asked the individual why he asked the question just in case if the FO missed because maybe it had slipped the individual's mind to introduce himself. FO is doing his thing and the individual is doing his that maybe the individual wanted to save each other's time and get straight to the point.

N1120A

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:01 am

The FO overreacted. Some airport worker asks about the plane? MUST BE TERRORISM!

Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

tharanga

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:02 am

Taking the story at face value - assuming this actually happened as reported: there is the matter of explaining why the question is being asked, but also the setting. Seems very inappropriate to approach a pilot with something like this during a walk around. Surely the person could have struck up a conversation with a pilot in a different location.

fr8mech

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:09 am

Quoting wxman11 (Thread starter):
Yet, what I found hard to believe is that its ok to ask these questions outside of the airport rather than within the airport.

Presumably, outside the airport, the questioner would be personally known to the pilot. Unless, you know people who would walk up to a uniformed pilot at the local Kroger and ask him about trim and power settings.

As Roseflyer said, it really depends on how the question was asked and the social/work context.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

A332DTW

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:11 am

Whenever I'm on a flight and decide to ask the flight crew for a quick look at the cockpit before disembarking, I introduce myself as a flight instructor working his way to the airlines. That immediately lays down a commonality with the crew, and makes them more comfortable and open to questions. Sometimes they ask me more questions than I ask them. A proper introduction goes a long way.

wxman11
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:20 am

Quoting tharanga (Reply 5):

the individual, as I know of, works as a aircraft fueler who happened to pass by and I guess he saw the A320 FO and figured he would ask the question. I don't think the individual is going to be walking around the terminal and look for an A320 pilot in order to ask whatever questions he may have. Best guess why individual approached FO was because he has easier access, meaning if a gate has an A320 parked there and see an A320 pilot walking around, he would approach that way rather than sitting in terminal and guessing who is a Airbus or Boeing pilot in order to ask the question.

Also, the incident wasn't reported. From what I gather, they were seeking clarification to why he asked the question in the first place. I think everyone except for the FO was like, "really FO you going to be concern of a question like this" Nevertheless, I think the individual understands that its better to introduce first and then ask but people are busy and to help save time, I can understand the individual's approach too, he didn't want to take the FO time too much.

I just curious to know how the FO is going to explain to HQ why the flight ended up leaving nearly 1:30 hrs late. I can understand about a security concern or issue but once the FO explains it, I bet HQ will be like, "really? what you did by walking around or something like that wasn't good enough?"

wxman11
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:22 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 4):

Funny, ha ha ha.

I thought so too that the FO overracted. Its like, the individual is just asking a question which happens to be specific and technical. How would he have reacted if a passenger asked instead of an airport worker?

wxman11
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:26 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 6):

I agree. I presume the individual probably said to the FO "hi" and "I have a question about" and asked from there. I guess for the individual now thinks that "hi" and "I have a question about" is not enough to display he poses no risk, just seeking clarification. He probably figure I ask the FO to clarify cuz the manual is a little vague.

CXfirst

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:28 am

Quoting wxman11 (Reply 9):
I bet HQ will be like, "really? what you did by walking around or something like that wasn't good enough?"

I hope not. Security is taken seriously. Even, if this time, the FO might have gone to far, having that type of response from HQ, might lead to the FO letting something more serious slip by the next time.

-CXfirst

sixtyseven

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:17 am

The FO is a spazz.

I fly the airplane. You could set either and it's not like there's going to be a crash.

So giving the false answer wasn't going to save mankind from some terrorist.

Lots of student pilots fuel airplanes. I did. The only time I'd never interrupt a pilot doing a walk around was when it was raining, snowing, or freezing. It's a walk around. Big deal. People need to relax. Every pilot I talked to was awesome. Friendly and helpful. Granted Flightsim 1 didn't have anything that specific!!!!

The reason you set the t/o mac is so you set the proper units nose up or nose down on the stab trim. Airbus has a - sign next to the units. - X.X UP or DN. You set the STAB TRIM in units. It's either units up or down but if you're not careful, that - sign has led people to presume it's nose down. The procedure at my airline is to roll the THS to the TOWMAC value, then fine tune the units on the FCTRL page. This would prevent a improper nose up or down value being set or vice versa.

Generally 319s and 320s have nose down settings the 321 nose up.

OP you can tell your friend that's the reason. Chilllllll people

[Edited 2016-01-20 18:31:16]
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

N757ST

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:40 am

I fly the bus. I would've answered no idea man, don't know till the gee wiz computer tells me the answer.

PDX88

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:46 am

Either he's an overreactive tool or it's his first day as an FO. Not all of us on the ramp are clueless about aviation, I've worked with plenty of pilots-to-be like myself who always took an opportunity to talk aviation with the flight crew. This is nothing new or unique.

wxman11
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:58 am

Quoting PDX88 (Reply 15):

What I heard the individual say about the FO after being questioned by police to the airport safety officer was after he had asked the question, the FO looked at him weird, that the FO was walking away and answering the question, like trying to say, what are you going to do with the trim setting? I would have think that answering the individual wouldn't hurt anybody. You can't really do harm to anyone about trim setting, at least I don't think. I think the FO should have just left it like that, you know, supposedly answer the individual's question and depart the flight on-time rather than causing a big scene and delaying the flight 1 1/2 hrs because you were doing your job. If that's the case, no one should be asking airline pilots any questions if you work at the airport, for security reasons, ha ha ha.

AirPacific747

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:47 am

throttles

It's called thrust levers in the Airbus  
Quoting sixtyseven (Reply 13):
The procedure at my airline is to roll the THS to the TOWMAC value, then fine tune the units on the FCTRL page. This would prevent a improper nose up or down value being set or vice versa.

Same procedure here.

[Edited 2016-01-21 01:56:43]

ilari

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 am

When I was in high school we had an AY captain talking about aviation. He had no trouble at all answering any technical questions.

jcwr56

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am

The FO of course was surprised by this that he gave misleading information to the individual. Don't know what the FO said to the individual. Thanking the FO for his time, and perhaps unsatisfied with his response, the individual left gate to continue doing this next task.

How's this for generalization. He's representing the company he works for by wearing the uniform, so now how are we to trust this airline or him moving forward. Is this company policy or not? To lie when asked a question.

A simple thank you for asking but I don't know you so I'm going to decline would have sufficed.

OP, would you care to state the name of the airline.

Bongodog1964

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:59 am

If I were asked a technical question way outside of the norm, my initial reply would probably be along the lines of "that beats the usual silly questions" Hopefully that would result in a response that explained the reason for the question.

Groover158

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:18 am

Perhaps the FO was taken aback because the Airport Worker's question wasn't about him   

mysterzip

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:37 pm

Seems like the FO overreacted. If the employee in question really wanted to steal an aircraft, they would keep it quiet. I would also think it's not just the trim settings that are involved in taking the aircraft. I see misunderstandings like this all the time between my fellow employees and passengers.

N766UA

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:13 pm

With all the "see something, say something" stuff out there, including that taught in ground school, I'm not surprised he reported the guy and, frankly, I don't neccessarily blame him. Is he kind of a spaz for doing so? Sure. Sounds like he's an uptight guy with whom a 4 day might be a bit of a chore. But is he *wrong* to have done so? From everything I've ever been told.... no, not in the slightest.

Maybe he should have prefaced with "hey, I fly flight simulator religiously and..."

[Edited 2016-01-21 05:19:20]

roseflyer

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:42 pm

The FO overreacted. Some airport worker asks about the plane? MUST BE TERRORISM!

Having been through quite a few security classes, this was not an overreaction. Airlines and airports coach people to report suspicious activities. One of the things stressed is that reporting the problem is the best course of action and let the appropriate people decide what to do. In many SIDA classes, they emphasize that no one will criticize you for reporting something that you feel is suspicious, but you can get in trouble for not reporting it.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

jcwr56

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:51 pm

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 24):
One of the things stressed is that reporting the problem is the best course of action and let the appropriate people decide what to do.

Please define suspicious in this context. And who are the appropriate people? Police that have zero understanding on how to fly a plane? So basically they're saying pilots (or people in general) don't have the intellect to make decisions on a question asked of them.

Common sense is being lost to today's terrorism societal mindset.

Amiga500

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Typical pilot - so stiff it seems they've a rod up their ass....

[goes gets tin hat and jumps into the trenches ]

wilcharl

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Me myself personally, I throw shame on both the FO and the airport employee..

Shame on the airport employee for not introducing himself and saying why he was asking etc..
Shame on the FO for not engaging the airport employee in conversation about why he was asking before he reported it.
Good job to the station manager and local PD for realizing there was no harm...

Conversation goes a long way on both sides...

scbriml

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:29 pm

FO expressed concerned over the question the individual had asked

The paranoia is strong in this one.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

airbusfanyyz

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:31 pm

I once had a situation where on a flight from JFK-BUF with B6 I asked an FA (as I do on every flight I take) if they could kindly ask the guys in the Flight Deck if they could fill out the flight details for my as part of my logbook.

e.g.

a/c reg.
pushback
airborne time
dep /arr rwys
top of descent
touchdown time
sector distance
flight level
mach
tow
fuel onboard
Pilot Name
F/O Name
# cabin crew
pax load
etc.

My logbook contains summaries of all the flights/aircraft taken, features my a.net pics etc.

The FA took it up to the flight deck... the pilot called me up and for the first time in 350+ flights the pilot refused. He asked me a ton of questions about why I wanted the info etc.

Few weeks later Canadian security officials called me at my home wanting to meet and discuss an incident. When I met them I took my logbook... had a very pleasant conversation with them. Satisfied that I wasn't doing anything nefarious the matter was closed. I continue to ask for my flight logs to be completed by the pilots and have not a refusal since.

Sadly people sometimes can't see grey... everything is always just black and white.

[Edited 2016-01-21 06:47:58]

roseflyer

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:39 pm

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 25):
Please define suspicious in this context. And who are the appropriate people? Police that have zero understanding on how to fly a plane? So basically they're saying pilots (or people in general) don't have the intellect to make decisions on a question asked of them.

Common sense is being lost to today's terrorism societal mindset.

I have taken about a dozen SIDA classes. They tell you about some scenarios but in the end they tell you to use your judgment. They also always tell you to follow the instructions for reporting that your company has established. A pilot is always reporting to someone within the airline. You can always report something to your management. This is something that a pilot can report and it is the job for the station manager to work with the police to figure out what was going on.

Yes there is a terrorism societal mindset. If you take security classes at the airport they admit that the mindset has changed in the last 15 years. In most classes that I have taken, I have heard them say that if you are suspicious you should report it. At some airports security will intentionally send people not wearing proper credentials to approach people on the ramp and ask questions. If you don't stop and challenge them within 10 seconds, you get reprimanded, get your access badge revoked and have to reattend security training.

catiii

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:40 pm

Quoting airbusfanyyz (Reply 29):
a flight from JFK-YYZ with B6

JetBlue does not and never has served Toronto...

airbusfanyyz

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:48 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 31):

sorry brain cramp... corrected to BUF.  

apfpilot

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:50 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 17):

It's called thrust levers in the Airbus

Technically it is called that in any non-piston aircraft as there is no throttle on the engine.

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 30):
If you don't stop and challenge them within 10 seconds, you get reprimanded, get your access badge revoked and have to reattend security training.

When I worked on the ramp at an FBO/Airport Authority we used to love doing that to the FAA inspector when he was doing ramp checks. If 10 of us were on shift at least 5 of us would ask for his ID when he was walking around. Finally he went to the ops manager before each visit and would say: "I'm going to be doing ramp checks, please let your guys know so they leave me alone" after that only a couple of us would ask each time  
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

georgiaame

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:57 pm

What do you think?
Needless to say, the flight departed 1hr 20 mins late because of it.

What I think will have this thread of mine knocked off this site by our ever vigilant moderators for my social intolerance.

Had the FO and police used a tad of racial profiling in this instance, the question could have been answered, and everyone would have gone about his or her daily business unimpeded, and the flight would have taken off on time. But because zero tolerance stupidity prevails when it comes to making an intelligent call on security and we never, ever want to hurt someone's personal feelings when it comes to race/creed/religion/national origin/gender/sexual orientation/, everyone got into a kerfuffle and the plane departed late. Which is why I always feel less secure when flying when I am the guy who gets questioned by the TSA. By questioning me, they may very well have let the bad guy through. But at least his feelings weren't hurt. "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

AA777223

Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:09 pm

I imagine the situation probably went a little differently than this story makes it sound. I picture the fueler working on the aircraft and seeing the copilot doing his walk around, and asking, "Hey, you fly this thing?" The FO saying yes, and then the guy proceeding to say, "I have a question for you, do you use this setting....blah, blah". If that is the case, the FO could've just as easily asked, why the person wanted to know, as the individual could have told why he was asking. Honestly, to me, this all sounds a little ridiculous.I think the post-9/11 world has (parhaps necessarily, which is unfortunate) created paranoia that exceeds common sense and reason.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

wxman11
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:35 pm

Quoting mysterzip (Reply 22):

I agree. Just because someone asks a question, which happens to be specific and technical, shouldn't be ground for causing concern. If the individual wanted to do harm to both plane and/or crew/passengers, the individual would have done it, quietly and unexpectedly. I highly doubt that the individual would be able to do harm using the trim setting. If he wanted to stall the aircraft while in flight, I would assume all he has to do is just pull back on the controls.

Quoting Groover158 (Reply 21):

ha ha ha ha, probably.

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 20):

Exactly. As I said before, pilots often get asked the normal general questions and for once, they be like "I would like to be ask a more serious question about my job once in a while."

Quoting N766UA (Reply 23):

I'm not saying that the individual did right or wrong of that the FO did right or wrong. If the FO had a concern about the question the individual asked, then why didn't the FO asked the individual why he was asking that question before answering? I found that to be weird because. Yes, the individual may have found to say why he is asking, but let's be honest, how many of us have asked a question before giving an intro to the question? I too am guilty of that cuz I can be bi-polar sometimes, I ask the question and then explain why I was asking it rather than the other way around, explain then ask. Of course security must be taken seriously but I don't think you need to be over doing it either. You can still be relax and answer questions while keeping your guard up.

scbriml

Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:48 pm

Few weeks later Canadian security officials called me at my home wanting to meet and discuss an incident.

Paranoia aside, if you were a threat, they took their sweet time to check you out.  Wow!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

cschleic

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:07 pm

My experience has been, after the flight and introducing myself as a private pilot first, asking a question about the approach or something else I noticed on the flight, pilots often can be very chatty. A couple of times I've had to pull myself away to get to the next flight.

RRTrent

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:17 pm

My thoughts are that it was a mix of the FO overreacting, and no real introduction before the question was asked.

Last year I asked to visit the cockpit of an AA 767 after we had landed, I got a crooked look at first, but introduced myself as an aviation enthusiast and mentioned that my dad works on the 777. As soon as that was said I was greeted with an immediate smile, placed in the captains seat and had a good 10 minute chat and got multiple photos of the flight deck.

It goes to show that its really depends on the person you speak to and how you speak to them. I think most pilots love talking about the planes they drive.

Vio

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:36 pm

There is probably more to this story than it has been presented. Even if not, maybe one misunderstood the other.

To answer one of your questions, I don't have a problem speaking to anyone about aviation especially when I have time and the person is genuinely interested. With that being said, I would never interrupt my walk around to speak to anyone, especially non-work related questions. I would politely tell that individual that I would be able to talk after my walk around is done. If for whatever reason I must interrupt my walk around (for a very valid reason) I either start it over again, or make a verbal note of where I'm to continue.
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

INFINITI329

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:09 pm

Thankfully none of the pilots i have encountered at my airline are tools like this FO was. Anytime I have a time I will pick the brains of our pilots. Nearly all them are excited to share knowledge and advice with a young aviator.

Quoting tharanga (Reply 5):
Taking the story at face value - assuming this actually happened as reported: there is the matter of explaining why the question is being asked, but also the setting. Seems very inappropriate to approach a pilot with something like this during a walk around. Surely the person could have struck up a conversation with a pilot in a different location.

Pilots (at my airline) will have full blown conversations during their walk around, its not that big of a deal

bhill

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:50 pm

The person could have just asked here.....I am sure there are enough enthusiasts to answer his question on this site..
Carpe Pices

N757ST

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:06 pm

/c reg.
pushback
airborne time
dep /arr rwys
top of descent
touchdown time
sector distance
flight level
mach
tow
fuel onboard
Pilot Name
F/O Name
# cabin crew
pax load
etc.

No offense, I wouldn't do it either. I have a fair amount of paperwork as it is to do and thats a lot of questions to ask. I'm shocked 350 flight crews did that for you. You'd also be the first passenger in my 10,000+ hours of flight time to request it. Now, I wouldn't be insulted nor think of it as a security risk, but that's a fair amount to ask of us especially on a short sector.

C767P

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:27 pm

He asked on the walk around, not the best time to do it. Probably caught the FO off guard and after he thought “what was that all about, I didn’t really know who that was, kind of odd….”

If the worker had waited until he was done and given a little more info on why he wanted to know that I am guessing the FO invites him up to the flight deck to chat for a little while.

catiii

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:49 pm

Quoting N757ST (Reply 43):
You'd also be the first passenger in my 10,000+ hours of flight time to request it.

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't regularly flown the line for a while now being up in the office, but I can't recall a single instance of someone asking anything similar. You're committed to being an enthusiast.

Classa64

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:55 pm

Next time someone asks me what tire pressures they should set there tires to in the winter out in the parking lot at my dealership ( I am a tech in my uniform ) I am calling the cops, total over reaction I think. I would at least of thought the FO, after answering, may have asked why he was asking such a question, any normal person would have. I wonder if the person asking used the miss-information given by the FO in his flight sim and crashed....
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

C767P

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:31 pm

Quoting Classa64 (Reply 46):
I would at least of thought the FO, after answering, may have asked why he was asking such a question, any normal person would have.

Maybe if the the person asking hadn't asked while the FO was busy WORKING, he or she wouldn't have been caught off guard by it.

Everything gets put on the pilot. Not just flying the airplane but everything about security. Check badges of people around the airplane; be on the watch for suspicious activity.

So when someone comes up with a question that’s not normal, during a walk around, the FO probably flagged it as a security threat and decided to tell someone. Better to be safe instead of regret it later.

Everyone saying the FO overreacted are the same ones who would say that if something happened that pilots should do their job.

DualQual

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:42 pm

Quoting C767P (Reply 47):

This thread really takes Monday Morning QBing to a new level. NONE of us were present and know the specifics about what exactly was asked and the exact manner it was asked.
There's no known cure for stupid

3MilesToWRO

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:02 pm

Well, the situation seems ridiculous, although there might have been some details we don't know about. As it was, after all, said several times. However:

Quoting georgiaame (Reply 34):
Had the FO and police used a tad of racial profiling in this instance, the question could have been answered, and everyone would have gone about his or her daily business unimpeded, and the flight would have taken off on time. But because zero tolerance stupidity prevails when it comes to making an intelligent call on security and we never, ever want to hurt someone's personal feelings when it comes to race/creed/religion/national origin/gender/sexual orientation/, everyone got into a kerfuffle and the plane departed late. Which is why I always feel less secure when flying when I am the guy who gets questioned by the TSA. By questioning me, they may very well have let the bad guy through.

I'm afraid you don't quite get the idea of statistics. Racial profiling is not about "we check *only* bearded guys with fabric on their heads, and *never* check the square-jawed guys in baseball caps". It's about "we check *more*often* guys with fabric than baseballists". So being out of the group of higher risk does not guarantee you're not going to be checked at all. There's been quite a number of snow-white freaks after all.

And when it comes to a report (be it reasonable or overreacted, doesn't matter) the profiling is irrelevant at all. A person was reported to be doing something questionable. Already. The headgear and shaving level doesn't matter at the moment, we're in a next stage now and verify the actual action, not the potential.

nm2582

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:07 pm

It seems like some weight should be placed on the nature of the question.

Asking about a trim setting and the effect of various CG inputs is different than asking something like "So, say I found an A320 just sitting there and I fueled it up, how would I go about starting it up to take a quick test flight around the field?"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos