Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

chrisp390
Topic Author

Air China To YOW?

Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:38 pm

I was on the internet and came across this Air China ad on the side of the screen. Either they accidentally used YOW-PEK or they plan to launch it but have not formally announced it. Does anyone know which it is likely to be? I have not heard anything about YOW-PEK until now.

Here is a screenshot,

auroralives

RE: Air China To YOW?

Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:41 pm

If it was just a pop-up ad, the internet probably figured out you are in Ottawa, and modified the ad accordingly (slightly mis-representing the non-stop aspect). As per the last paragraph of this article, Air China markets flights to Ottawa (via Montreal) and in conjunction with AC.

http://flyerreport.ca/news/air-china...ights-between-beijing-and-montreal

Very doubtful Air China is planning YOW-PEK anytime soon.

factsonly

Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:55 pm

Air Canada offers 5x daily connections in the YOW-PEK market, via YYZ, IAD, ORD using different AC or STAR codeshare combinations.

No doubt STAR carrier CA is able to make various similar connections between PEK-YOW.

The advert on your screen may look like a non-stop service, but that is marketing for you.

Cyow

Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:17 pm

Nevertheless, isn't it time that Canada's capital, a G7 country, have direct links to some of its other G7 member capitals? Right now, there are only 2 (IAD and LHR) + FRA - defacto business capital of Germany. France / Italy anyone? It doesn't need to be daily, and don't tell me that YUL or YYZ already serve. That's like saying since EWR/JFK serve, PHL doesn't matter.
"Broadsword calling Danny Boy"

DolphinAir747

Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:30 pm

Quoting auroralives (Reply 1):
Very doubtful Air China is planning YOW-PEK anytime soon.

Why? Seems like a good route with the Chinese community in Ontario and growing trade/political links between China and Canada. I would not at all be surprised to see this.

yowza

Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:21 pm

Quoting chrisp390 (Thread starter):
Does anyone know which it is likely to be?

They look to have used IP to location software, determined your whereabouts and advertised (somewhat misleadingly) how they could get you to PEK. If you visit the site where you saw this ad in Privacy Mode on your browser you will likely see a different variant of this. As others have pointed out, there are myriad way to for them to offer you YOW-PEK using alliance partners. It is also possible that they offer coach service to YUL from the station in Ottawa as KL and AF have for years.

Quoting cyow (Reply 3):
isn't it time that Canada's capital, a G7 country, have direct links to some of its other G7 member capitals

Kind of specious reasoning no? YOW may be housed in the capital region but the commercial heart of Canada is very much Toronto. So why bother? Are you holding Berlin to the same standard? If you feel this applies to the G7, why not the BRICS? You can't get from Brasilia or Pretoria to any other BRICS capital...

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 4):
Seems like a good route with the Chinese community in Ontario and growing trade/political links between China and Canada.

The Chinese community in Ontario is very much centered around metro Toronto - not Ottawa.

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 4):
I would not at all be surprised to see this.

I would be SHOCKED if this were to happen any time soon. With the exception of the US and Caribbean the only regular international flights out of YOW are to LHR and FRA. With good reason... YOW also has the misfortune of being flanked on the east and the west by two *A fortresses in YUL and YYZ.

YOWza

fly_yhm

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:05 am

I'm much closer to YYZ than YOW and I have been seeing the same advertisement.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

Viscount724

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:13 am

Quoting cyow (Reply 3):
and don't tell me that YUL or YYZ already serve. That's like saying since EWR/JFK serve, PHL doesn't matter.

You can't ignore YUL and YYZ. And YOW population is much smaller than the PHL metro area. There simply isn't that much demand for the points you refer to. Government travel is largely within Canada. If there was demand for the services you refer to, they would be operated. Even YOW-FRA can't justify year-round service which is why it's a seasonal operation.

chrisp390
Topic Author

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:55 am

Quoting fly_yhm (Reply 6):

Funny thing is though I was in Calgary when I saw and posted this, so no idea what is going on. If it was an IP address locator I would have thought it would have marked YYC over YOW

whywhyzee

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:59 pm

Its likely a seat sale including a connection, I see stuff like that all the time.

wpigott

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:54 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 7):
Even YOW-FRA can't justify year-round service which is why it's a seasonal operation.

From talking to the AC Concierge at YOW, the reason why YOW-FRA is seasonal is because AC doesn't have enough 763s in the winter to run it. It is daily this summer with a A333, it is a very busy route with connecting traffic on LH

Viscount724

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:13 am

Quoting wpigott (Reply 10):
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 7):
Even YOW-FRA can't justify year-round service which is why it's a seasonal operation.

From talking to the AC Concierge at YOW, the reason why YOW-FRA is seasonal is because AC doesn't have enough 763s in the winter to run it. It is daily this summer with a A333, it is a very busy route with connecting traffic on LH

I guess it makes more sense to operate YOW-LHR year-round than YOW-FRA since there's' more O&D traffic to/from LHR which usually means higher yield.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos