Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YVRLTN

RE: AS Launches 'Brand Refresh'

Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:25 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 26):
But most people won't think of the northern lights upon seen those colors unless they are told that's what they represent. I'm willing to bet more people think of some tie-in with the Seattle Seahawks upon first glance.

Things that make you go hmmm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andre Nordheim

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 28):
Personally to me, I don't think of either but feel like that rather reflects the Pacific NW in general. One could go with the navy reflecting the ocean, the middle blue reflecting the numerous lakes, rivers and streams, the sky blue reflecting the clear sky (when its not cloudy) and the green reflecting the numerous forests in the PacNW. While the green is a little off color in my opinion, memories of flying into PDX in the late spring are definitely filled with that color.

No, this really reflects the PNW 
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark McGrath

Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Vulindlela

Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:34 am

They've done well to incorporate the colors of the two local sports teams. I think it really increases the "hometown airline" feel they are going for. I like it.
"If you take everything I've accomplished in my entire life and condense it down into 1 day, it looks decent!"

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:52 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 19):
Anyone can do minimalist. It doesnt take a genius to do less. AS should have taken some cues from Hawaiian and Fiji Airways to incorporate some more "Alaska" into the livery.

They have great liveries, but they are selling "Hawaii" and "Fiji". Alaska is selling a whole lot more than that. I think the whole point of the refresh/rebrand was to make them feel less Alaska-centric and more mainstream.

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 26):
I'm willing to bet more people think of some tie-in with the Seattle Seahawks upon first glance.

Don't tell that to anyone in Atlanta or we'll have a new widget hub open up in ANC.  

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

hiflyeras

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:00 am

Better look at the new font...is growing on me.

caljn

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:02 am

Yay! Some color! Looks like AS finally got color TV! Yes I'm old.

And this is the airline Continental should have merged with and launched a West coast Pacific hub at SEA. Pity.

EyeSky
Topic Author

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:06 am

Quoting HiflyerAS (Reply 54):
Better look at the new font...is growing on me.

I like the new wordmark - not as feathery as the old one. When they ditched the K kicking the A I wondered what they would come up with. This is good.

[Edited 2016-01-25 19:17:16]

lhpdx

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:31 am

The new lively is absolutely beautiful!! I just love my hometown airline......

VC10er

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:43 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 19):

I never read anything more untrue: yes anyone can do less and call it minimal. True minimalism it the most difficult thing to do in design and give it meaning. It's a never ending quest for perfection and is NOT just about the removal of the unnecessary. It's about what IS there, NOT what isn't.

Take a 4 year design course at art school in Lausanne, Zurich or Tokyo.

Minimalist is a practice. And I studied SWISS and Bauhaus for 3 years at Parsons and New School. It is not easy.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

dbo861

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:49 am

When has an airline introduced a new brand/livery and people on this website NOT hate it? I think this has the most positive reactions I've seen when we see a new livery get introduced, so I think that makes it an overall success.

ASFlyer

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:55 am

Quoting dbo861 (Reply 59):
When has an airline introduced a new brand/livery and people on this website NOT hate it? I think this has the most positive reactions I've seen when we see a new livery get introduced, so I think that makes it an overall success.

I was thinking the same thing. People here can be very critical about just about everything - and this has way more positive response. I think AS did a good job of refreshing, changing but still keeping what people loved about current design.

UA444

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:00 am

Most of the reaction to UA's rising blue livery on this forum in 2004 was pretty positive.

bunumuring

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:10 am

Quoting UA444 (Reply 61):
Most of the reaction to UA's rising blue livery on this forum in 2004 was pretty positive.

... and I SO wish United would go back to that livery!

I love the new Alaska livery! But like some others here, I wish that they had somehow incorporated some colour on the nose and/or forward fuselage. Maybe repeat the tail 'pattern' in reverse / upside down over the cockpit area? Just an idea...

Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

dbo861

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:10 am

Quoting UA444 (Reply 61):

My point exactly, 12 years ago..and how many new liveries have been introduced since then? All to mostly negative response on this website.

DocLightning

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:15 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 30):

Some of the best paint to adorn an aircraft.

Fair enough, but not the second time.

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 32):

OMGZ AS AND HA ARE MERGING!!!      

Don't think this hadn't occurred to me.  
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 24):
believe that this was a Landor project, as was HA. Formulaic much?

Actually, evidently it's Hornall Anderson. I just looked at their website. No mention of the AS brand. Now, you'd think a branding agency would make a big deal out of completion of a major project in its own publicity.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DeltaRules

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:50 am

Not bad, but AS' current scheme is one of the few Eurowhite schemes which looks good.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

panam330

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:07 am

I LOVE the new font, and the livery is pretty decent. About the only thing I [mildly] dislike is the tiny little swish of color on the engines. I feel like they lack color. The swish is good, don't get me wrong - I just wish it were thicker, to match the tail, but it's not that bad overall. A nice refresh overall, but I fear its trendiness will eventually be its downfall in 10-15 years when it looks "so 2016".

Byrdluvs747

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:26 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 53):
They have great liveries, but they are selling "Hawaii" and "Fiji". Alaska is selling a whole lot more than that. I think the whole point of the refresh/rebrand was to make them feel less Alaska-centric and more mainstream.

Why not sell your strength? Which for AS is Alaska and the Pacific northwest. If you remove Chester and the AS font would anyone recognize this livery as an airline based in the region?

The whole de-Alaskification argument is rather weak. Do those in marketing really believe that the traveling public is fearful that all AS routes connect in ANC? Maybe in the pre-internet days of travel agent dependency, but people can see actual routes online now.

I dont see New Yorkers avoiding WN because the name sounds too region specific.

This just waters down the AS brand into another dull corporate logo.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 51):
Things that make you go hmmm

The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

A332DTW

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:50 am

It's alright, certainly not bad. I can't help but think they took a page out of SW's book.

DCA-ROCguy

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:53 am

The airline industry's war on color continues. Down with Euro-white!!

The beautiful blue and green combo on the tail needs to continue along the entire fuselage, maybe with a splash up the middle like WN had on canyon blue, and titles higher.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

DocLightning

Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:09 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 66):

The whole de-Alaskification argument is rather weak. Do those in marketing really believe that the traveling public is fearful that all AS routes connect in ANC? Maybe in the pre-internet days of travel agent dependency, but people can see actual routes online now.

If AS wants to expand into a less regional airline then they need to balance their regional flair with their national appeal (and they'd do well to. Most regional airlines wind up being part of another airline...I wonder what airline would like to acquire AS? Hmm?).

If they stay a Pac-NW airline, they will die a slow death. If they expand, they thrive. They're a very unique airline, though.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

EA CO AS

Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:42 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 43):
Quoting Alasizon (Reply 28):That being said, blues and greens are very popular colors with millenials and in general right now so it seems like the right move for AS, it makes their branding sleeker while still keeping the heritage in tact
Don't forget that before the all blue livery AS sported blue & green before, obviously AS is paying homage to their beginnings on the West Coast as well.

The shade of green chosen was because it evoked a sense of "Oh - they fly to tropical places, too?" and part of the refresh is getting people who wouldn't ordinarily think of Alaska Airlines to start doing so.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 69):
If they expand, they thrive.

Ninety new markets since 2010 isn't expanding enough for you?  

This year will see growth of another 8% YOY. And beyond that, 4-8% annually, depending on economic conditions.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Braniff747SP

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:14 am

Their website and other digital materials look a great deal better with this new design -- the old one looked dated from that standpoint.

Airplane itself looks alright, nothing spectacular but not too bad either.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

seahawk

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:29 am

Sleek, modern and bit too many colours though. And the halo around the Inuit looks a bit strange.

b747400erf

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:39 am

Too generic and euro white to me, their old liveries are all classics, but this... meh

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:57 am

Why not sell your strength? Which for AS is Alaska and the Pacific northwest.

Because they are trying to outgrow their regional pigeon hole and so are moderating the PNW/Alaska sensation a bit.

If you remove Chester and the AS font would anyone recognize this livery as an airline based in the region?

Well, the point is that Chester and the font IS the livery to a degree. Like many airlines today.

I dont see New Yorkers avoiding WN because the name sounds too region specific.

I think that is becoming a tired argument nowadays. You are picking one of the largest national carriers in the country with a huge marketing presence to compare it to. And I'd argue that WN is no longer the mustard yellow Texas startup. Nor the Canyon Blue feisty national. They actually look a lot like....the new Alaska....with the font and curving lines at the rear. Sounds like great minds think alike.  

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

bpat777

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:23 am

As trivial as it may sound, I think the color on the engines is just enough to make the plane not look too white/euro white.

Byrdluvs747

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:52 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 69):
If AS wants to expand into a less regional airline then they need to balance their regional flair with their national appeal (and they'd do well to. Most regional airlines wind up being part of another airline...I wonder what airline would like to acquire AS? Hmm?).

If they stay a Pac-NW airline, they will die a slow death. If they expand, they thrive. They're a very unique airline, though.

Did HA sellout to some national marketing bs when they started HNL-JFK? No, they kept their unique branding and I'm sure their NYC passengers enjoy it.

You seem to be confusing my desire for AS to keep their Alaska-ness with remaining a SEA-centric airline. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I've always wanted AS to expand their network to other hubs.

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 74):
I think that is becoming a tired argument nowadays. You are picking one of the largest national carriers in the country with a huge marketing presence to compare it to.

You just proved my point. WN didn't have to change their name, identity, or branding to become a national airline.

And I'd argue that WN is no longer the mustard yellow Texas startup.

Even before they changed from the mustard livery, they were a larger airline than AS. So that just shows that Southwest name didn't hinder their efforts to garner marketshare in all parts of the country.

Because they are trying to outgrow their regional pigeon hole and so are moderating the PNW/Alaska sensation a bit.

And as history has shown, they can do that without wasting money repainting aircraft.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:59 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 76):
You just proved my point. WN didn't have to change their name, identity, or branding to become a national airline.

Name? No. Identity? Somewhat. Branding? Absolutely. They might have did it on a different timeline than Alaska, but they obviously recognized that at some point they needed to freshen it up, become more current, and appeal to a new audience. Ditto Alaska.

Even before they changed from the mustard livery, they were a larger airline than AS. So that just shows that Southwest name didn't hinder their efforts to garner marketshare in all parts of the country.

You could say the same about Alaska. They've looked the same for 25 years and when you look at the before and after route maps they obviously haven't been hindered either. But like Southwest, Alaska decided that it was time.

And as history has shown, they can do that without wasting money repainting aircraft.

I accept your reasons for why you feel the way you do, but will defer to the people at the airline who obviously feel differently based on feedback from their customers, non-customers, etc.

Seriously, though. After a quarter century or so I think they probably are accurate in needing to freshen it up a bit. Just my opinion.  

-Dave
-Dave

EA CO AS

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:02 am

Southwest name didn't hinder their efforts to garner marketshare in all parts of the country.

Because "Southwest" wasn't the name per se, but the brand; people knew what it was even if they didn't fly everywhere.

That's the same thing Alaska is aspiring to be, long-term; not a regionally-associated name, but an instantly recognizable brand people will associate with safe, dependable, caring and genuine service.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Coal

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:27 am

Looks like Transavia to me   

https://www.alaskaair.com/javascripts/microsite/img/airplanes/common_width/12_current.png
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

ALAfly

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:21 am

Really beautifull and much better then the previous.

There will be a belly painting too? Or only when the MAX enter's the fleet?

Cheers

TCX69K

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:50 am

Love the new brand!

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh498/TCX69K/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsknmmxlxm.jpeg
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh498/TCX69K/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsssmdzowp.jpeg

Polot

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:18 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 5):

Yes, since if you remove Chester and the AS name from the current (old) livery it just screams Alaska versus say generic corporate jet.

This livery has more color than the old one, so anyone complaining it is too white or bland or whatever is barking up the wrong tree.

[Edited 2016-01-26 03:20:38]

rwsea

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:28 am

Well done Alaska! I think this looks great. Probably the best brand refresh/new livery that I've seen in quite some time.

bluesky73

Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:14 pm

I find these days I have become very disillusioned with Airline new liveries.....however this one (although not seen properly from lots of different angles and in flesh so to speak) looks fresh, more colourful and yet keeps the well known brand.
Would like to see what the blue/green arrow (as on poster) would look like in front of Alaska text (not too big).

Great job AS, looks like we starting 2016 off to a much better start 

[Edited 2016-01-26 05:15:20]

jeffh747

Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Absolutely love the new livery. Perfect rebrand, while keeping the iconic Chester.
The only thing that boggles my mind is why they bothered with that revised livery back in August.
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

qf789

Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:35 pm

I think this livery looks great. Well done Alaska Airlines
Forum Moderator

msp747

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:11 pm

Quoting jeffh747 (Reply 85):
The only thing that boggles my mind is why they bothered with that revised livery back in August

I asked that question on the other AS forum page. Was the livery before this one always supposed to be an interim one? Or did they just decide that refresh didn't go far enough and started over?

A388

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:37 pm

I like this brand refresh of AS, very well done and I'm glad the eskimo (Chester?) face remains on the tail!!!

A388

winterlight

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:45 pm

Quoting jeffh747 (Reply 85):
The only thing that boggles my mind is why they bothered with that revised livery back in August.

It was mentioned in this thread or maybe one of the others that a new head of branding took over since the previous revision and wanted a new start.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

winterlight

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:52 pm

dcaord

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:46 pm

I am so confused. Didn't they just modify their livery (albeit, every so slightly) a few months ago??

Tomassjc

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:07 pm

Quoting dcaord (Reply 91):

I am so confused. Didn't they just modify their livery (albeit, every so slightly) a few months ago??

Yes, and then shortly after bringing on a new director of marketing last summer, it was decided to further overhaul the brand on a deeper level.

Tomas SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

GSPSPOT

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:09 pm

Is there a link to more pictures available?
Great Lakes, great life.

winterlight

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:22 pm

Quoting dcaord (Reply 91):

See reply 89 & 92.

[Edited 2016-01-26 09:23:26]

boeingrulz

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 93):
Is there a link to more pictures available?

There are additional photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/airlinereporter

flybynight

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:58 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 11):

I like it! Makes the current livery look positively ancient. The only thing I dont like is the saintly halo around the Eskimo... just looks a little weird.

I am guessing it is supposed to be Northern Lights.
Regardless, I like this new look. A little more color and funk. Good job to AS.
Heia Norge!

777X

Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:00 pm

I agree that they did an excellent job! I think they did lose some of the ruggedness that they are known for, but I think that's what they wanted. They're not just an Alaskan carrier anymore, they're an American carrier.

flybynight

Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:08 pm

Looks modern. Updated. A little more colorful. The Northern Lights color pattern is a good choice.

Heia Norge!

United787

Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:09 pm

I like it, I like it a lot! Great wholescale refresh but still keeping the look of the font and Chester... I never liked Chester before because I always thought it looked muddy, like an ink blob. I think this solves my previous issues with it!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos