Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aerokiwi

RE: AS Launches 'Brand Refresh'

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:57 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 146):
They can still look cool sometimes, but they're mostly dated.

Which is interesting because with all the whooshes and curves employed nowadays, usually extending from the tailplane over the reaer fuselage, cheatlines really stand out while the modern types just kinda morph into one homogenous blah.

There's a lot to be said for cheatlines. They naturally complement the fuselage and add a bit of flair where otherwise we're left with large mass of bulk colour, usually white.

EA CO AS

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:36 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 150):
Is the 1 -400 full freighter going to stay?

For now, yes. Long-term? Not likely.

Quoting JBo (Reply 146):
I'm also curious if the Horizon logo has been redone in this new style.

The internal Horizon brand is being refreshed also and will be rolled out later.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DocLightning

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:16 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 146):
The primary reason that every airline had cheatlines back in the day was because they were the easiest way to paint an aircraft (mask a straight line down the airplane, apply paint, repeat).

Funny you should bring that up, and a bit OT, but here is a discussion from 12 years ago that I remember (god I'm old) about this very topic.

Why Is It Called "Cheat Line"? (by Wilco Mar 3 2004 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 151):

There's a lot to be said for cheatlines. They naturally complement the fuselage and add a bit of flair where otherwise we're left with large mass of bulk colour, usually white.

Cheatlines were neat, but to me they look kind of anachronistic. I did like the Ron Allen cheatline, though.

I prefer to see a fuselage in at least two distinct colors (not white and grey...distinct), like white and blue or white and red or...the best mainline airline livery of all time:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Simon Wong

...painted on the prettiest airliner of all time, of course. Landing at the most epic large airport of all time, of course. Because that's how we roll here at a.net.  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Braniff747SP

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:14 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 116):
Again, lots of $$ for little gain.

I disagree.

The roll out of the entire brand identity--across the website, airports, etc--has a positive impact.

It's not life changing, certainly, especially on the airplane itself. But the rest of the product gets a much-needed refresh.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

chrisair

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:40 am

Quoting HiflyerAS (Reply 149):
First -700 is currently in Israel having its new cargo door installed

What's the tail number of this 700?

PlanesNTrains

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:40 am

Quoting turbineseaplane (Reply 131):
I love the HA livery by the way - BLOWS this AS one out of the water. Not even close. The colors, the image...just much better choices on key things.

While the Hawaiian livery is beautiful, and a clear nod to "Hawaii", I gather that Alaska Airlines is trying not to be too "Alaska" but rather to be more "national airline". Unfortunately that means no moose on the tail and no big dipper and north star combo.  
Quoting Alasizon (Reply 136):
I feel like this will look great on a Q400.

I feel like it was designed for the Q400. At first glance it reminded me of their themed planes.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Pohakuloa

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:01 am

All in all it is a breath of fresh air. The blues and greens though coinciding with the pro teams of the PacNW, are also reflections of the environment which those teams have taken on as well. The colors in my opinion: White of snow and ice, grey belly of rock mountains (and some may say ice as well), dark blue of the deep northern pacific waters, light blues of a cloudless sky and the greens of the spring foliage and also of the northern lights also represented by the wisps of blended colors on nacelles and wingtips. The color blend rearward to the tail blends the 6 colors tastefully. I'm indifferent about the font choice, it's not bad, but nothing as unique as it's predecessor.

I do like the lower font placement on the fuselage as a slight stroke of design genius, whether intentional or otherwise. Just as with HA's 717s, with it painted lower, it naturally displays on the bottom curves of the fuselage while still being easily viewed from the side. With a growing trend of belly badging, this saves on complexity of an additional design element and increases visibility on the ground while on approach or departure for those who do happen to see it above while off airport.

Only thing I would do to make this design selection a bit better would be to add a border line (ara: cheat line). Just an inch or two wide at most in the dark blue separating the grey belly and white main fuselage up front slowly fading into the gray starting about the forward of the MLG housing and completely blended by the rear of the MLG housing. Providing a subtle pop of separation by providing contrast and (for many) subconsciously eliminating the empty/bland feeling the front of the plane gives off to some.

All in all, I give it a 7/10. Better than some, not the greatest in the skies.

In regards to the back and forth on personal tastes, it is just that, personal tastes. It's like comparing apples, oranges and pears while trying to bake a cherry pie to decide which vanilla ice cream is the best. That's why we are different and not clones. Agree to disagree gang, but don't belittle because others have separate views and tastes. There is no right or wrong in personal taste, unless your equine is far too tall.

Respectfully,

Pohakuloa
Fast cars and 'Jet A' - such a sweet smell!

tomascubero

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:46 pm

Quoting yeelep (Reply 141):
It's already there, another -800.

Are they only being painted in VCV or also in GSO? Would be nice to keep a record of which are being painted.

aerokiwi

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:17 am

Quoting Pohakuloa (Reply 156):
That's why we are different and not clones. Agree to disagree gang, but don't belittle because others have separate views and tastes. There is no right or wrong in personal taste, unless your equine is far too tall.

An interesting choice of words, given this appears to simply be another in a long line of tailfin colours draping over the reaer empenage combined with a white fuselage and billboard tails. Seems pretty cloney to me.

Agree on the personal taste element, but from an overall design perspective, this is very samey and, I suspect, comes with a pretty limited shelf-life of 6-7 years. There'll be a push soon enough to either simplify further or rehog the whole thing. Afterall, it seems this was driven by the new AS head of marketing/brand/whatever. Once she's out the door, smeone else will want to stamp their mark, presumably.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 152):
Cheatlines were neat, but to me they look kind of anachronistic. I did like the Ron Allen cheatline, though.

Except, they're so rare now that they'll stand out as something else altogether. And a cheatline, as you point out with NW, isn't just single block colour running the length of the fuselage at the same width. It can take a variety of forms.

EA CO AS

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:20 am

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 158):
Agree on the personal taste element, but from an overall design perspective, this is very samey and, I suspect, comes with a pretty limited shelf-life of 6-7 years. There'll be a push soon enough to either simplify further or rehog the whole thing. Afterall, it seems this was driven by the new AS head of marketing/brand/whatever. Once she's out the door, smeone else will want to stamp their mark, presumably.

Disagree; while the new VP of Marketing was instrumental in leading the change, this was part of an effort from a cross-divisional brand council that had been working on this for about 24 months total, including numerous focus groups and a design freeze to rethink strategy during a major incursion by DL.

This new branding is likely to stick around for quite a long time.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Byrdluvs747

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:34 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 159):
This new branding is likely to stick around for quite a long time.

While you are most likely correct, I am hoping for the contrary. Maybe next time they'll come up with something more unique and not another focus group mish-mash.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:37 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 160):
Maybe next time they'll come up with something more unique and not another focus group mish-mash.

Considering how positive it's been received so far, in a variety of venues, I'm guessing they'll stick with their new design.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

rgreenftm

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:45 am

My understanding is that the Feb Alaska inflight magazine has a rendering of the new livery in both the Q400 and the ERJ.

EA CO AS

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:28 am

Quoting rgreenftm (Reply 162):
My understanding is that the Feb Alaska inflight magazine has a rendering of the new livery in both the Q400 and the ERJ.

Here you go:

Alaska Airlines Inflight Magazine Online

Click forward to page 183.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:31 am

Just as I suspected - the new design fits the Q perfectly!

-Dave
-Dave

HPRamper

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:44 am

It indeed looks very sharp in person.

aerokiwi

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:58 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 159):
Disagree; while the new VP of Marketing was instrumental in leading the change, this was part of an effort from a cross-divisional brand council that had been working on this for about 24 months total, including numerous focus groups and a design freeze to rethink strategy during a major incursion by DL.

"Cross divisional brand council"? Good grief! So I take it this was the same brains trust that gave the go ahead for the brand refresh only to completely reverse that decision a few months later and go down this wibbly wobbly route Bbecause of the "major incursion by DL", you say?

Corporate-speak at its finest   Let's see in 7 years.

ER757

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:48 pm

Will give me something to look at on my AS flight this afternoon  
While at SEA prior to boarding, I'm hoping to spot one of the newly painted planes (I think there's only two so odds are low)

BoeingGuy

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:25 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 163):

Here you go:

Alaska Airlines Inflight Magazine Online

Click forward to page 183.

This is starting to grown on me. I initially had the same reaction as the new AA livery. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

However, I'm really liking both the new AA livery and this new AS one.

airliner371

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:25 pm

Alaska got quite a bit of backlash on social media after they update their website to read "Meet our Eskimo."

Here's one example posted on their Facebook page...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...p.10153244022891050&type=3&theater

flyoregon

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 164):
Just as I suspected - the new design fits the Q perfectly!

Agreed. The renderings in the magazine are not far off from the ones I threw together and posted earlier in the thread.

They look great! Interested to see what the new Horizon font style will be. If you notice in the magazine, it says "Alaska SkyWest" in the normal font and very faintly it says "Alaska Horizon" but its in a light gray and most likely simply a generic filler until the new logo is made public.

JBo

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:52 pm

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 170):
Agreed. The renderings in the magazine are not far off from the ones I threw together and posted earlier in the thread.

I actually think you did a better job of scaling/positioning the titles on the fuselage. I personally hate it when titles flow over the L1 door too much.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

BoeingGuy

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:53 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 169):
Alaska got quite a bit of backlash on social media after they update their website to read "Meet our Eskimo."

Here's one example posted on their Facebook page...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...p.10153244022891050&type=3&theater

People really need to get a life. I don't see that as derogatory at all. AS wasn't referring to owning a person or owning a race of people. They were referring to their new logo. Also, "Eskimo" doesn't have negative connotations as do some of the other examples given on those Facebook postings.

Sooner787

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:11 pm

That livery would look amazing on a 787   

EA CO AS

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:17 pm

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 166):
So I take it this was the same brains trust that gave the go ahead for the brand refresh only to completely reverse that decision a few months later

The internal brand council had also partnered with a major brand design firm and it was at their suggestion - with the DL incursion - that the brand refresh was temporarily halted.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Not sure what your issue is, but again, the refresh has been widely praised. Hate if you must, but it makes you look petty and small.

chrisair

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:29 pm

The more I see photos of the new livery, the more it's growing on me--kinda like the new AA livery.

I still wish AS put more color on the actual plane though. The old cheat line gives enough color to make everything look less white.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 174):
The internal brand council

Gotta love corporate speak. I don't know why, but this is what I imagine the "internal brand council" meetings look like:

with the DL incursion - that the brand refresh was temporarily halted.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "DL Incursion" occurred long before before the first brand refresh last year. I was under the impression they stopped painting planes last fall after the current branding started gaining fans.

EA CO AS

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:14 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 175):
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "DL Incursion" occurred long before before the first brand refresh last year. I was under the impression they stopped painting planes last fall after the current branding started gaining fans.

This was actually a pretty long, involved process, with twists and turns along the way. The preliminary brand refresh work was underway well before DL's SEA incursion began. They'd gotten down to two different finalists for branding looks before deciding to halt and assess things while defending SEA, on advice from brand consultants while also hearing feedback from customers that they liked the current look and feel at that time.

Once it became clear that AS was holding their own against DL, the wholesale brand refresh was shelved in favor of a milder approach, changing the dark blues to navy blue, smoothing out the Alaska wordmark to be more presentable in digital form, etc.

Ultimately, the decision was made to revive the full brand refresh again, designed to keep the emotional connection for existing customers while simultaneously appealing to newer ones. And that took about 12 months to fully flesh out, and was ultimately unveiled on 1/25/16.

Sooner787

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:19 pm

At the risk of repeating myself, United need to find the firm
that designed Alaska's new livery and hire them ASAP   

ER757

Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:00 pm

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 177):
At the risk of repeating myself, United need to find the firm
that designed Alaska's new livery and hire them ASAP  

Couldn't agree more. I was just thinking that yesterday when I was at SEA awaiting my flight. Walked past the UA gates and was thinking how old and tired that livery looks compared with others.

chrisair

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:40 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 176):
This was actually a pretty long, involved process, with twists and turns along the way. The preliminary brand refresh work was underway well before DL's SEA incursion began. They'd gotten down to two different finalists for branding looks before deciding to halt and assess things while defending SEA, on advice from brand consultants while also hearing feedback from customers that they liked the current look and feel at that time.

Interesting. Thanks for the behind the scenes peek at the process.

aerokiwi

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:02 am

Sorry to disappoint you.

No disappointment - confirms what usually happens in branding/marketing guff. Self-referential justification for unnecessary, confused and drawn out change for the sake of change. Justifies everyone's job.

Not sure what your issue is, but again, the refresh has been widely praised. Hate if you must, but it makes you look petty and small.

I think I've been explicit in what my issue is but again, bubbles. And maybe cast your net a little wider than ANet and AS enthusiasts. Petty and small? So dissenting opinion isn't your thing, huh? Petty and small indeed.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:09 am

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 180):
So dissenting opinion isn't your thing, huh? Petty and small indeed.

If you don't like it, that's understandable. However, it seems like you want to criticize the livery, the decision to rebrand, and the process of the rebranding. Does it really matter one bit why they decided to do what they did a year ago or do what they did now? Is it that big of a deal to you? I guess it just surprises me that you are that opinionated about the progression of their branding refresh. I just appreciate that someone actually working their has explained it to the rest of us who aren't really all that caught up in the behind-the-scenes and are more just enjoying seeing something different.

-Dave
-Dave

airzona11

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:40 am

Having just flown Alaska, the new branding is AWESOME. In the seat-backs, the safety card, entertainment card and menu card sit perfectly and display the color palate incredibly well.

Branding wise, it is without a doubt the one that stands out the most and seems the most modern and professional.

This is all just my personal anecdotal impression, but boarding a plane at least weekly, the experience using the app, on board and at the airport, from a brand perspective, is without a doubt the most impressive of any carrier I have flown.

EA CO AS

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:05 am

Quoting airzona11 (Reply 182):
This is all just my personal anecdotal impression, but boarding a plane at least weekly, the experience using the app, on board and at the airport, from a brand perspective, is without a doubt the most impressive of any carrier I have flown.

No, no. You're clearly wrong. Aerokiwi said so.

seat1a

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:14 am

Nice work, Alaska, for clean and contemporary take on the logo and tail.

Does anyone know about the paint schedule for planes and when all of the rebranding of the planes will be complete?

F9Animal

Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:00 am

I love it. I also like the crisp new Alaska. The entire scheme is easy on the eyes, and grabs my attention. I still wish they would dedicate a few planes with the lei on them.
I Am A Different Animal!!

EA CO AS

Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:05 am

Quoting UA444 (Reply 185):
No, it needs to be trashed completely.

Nope, it's just fine. The only improvement would be changing the titles on the aircraft to read "Continental" instead.   

cschleic

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:02 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 151):
The internal Horizon brand is being refreshed also and will be rolled out later.

Will the special Horizon schemes stay?

JBo

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:39 am

Quoting cschleic (Reply 189):
Will the special Horizon schemes stay?

I'm sure EA CO AS will have official word on that as it rolls out.

Personally, I think it would be cool if the college liveries were adapted to the new livery by simply re-coloring the navy tail and the three swirl stripes to the particular colors of the featured college, and their logo in place of Chester.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

antoniemey

Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:27 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 188):
Nope, it's just fine. The only improvement would be changing the titles on the aircraft to read "Continental" instead.  

That would make my mother very happy.

Seriously though, I get that some people don't like the globe. I get that a lot of people miss the tulip. And I get that there's a large overlap between those two groups.

But UA has invested enough into making the globe their emblem that it's not going away without a lot of trouble and expense. So, as long as UA is preforming decently, it's not going away.

Now, the livery as exists is not the greatest to ever fly, it could use a refresh. But don't expect when the time comes that UA gives it that refresh that there will be anything other than a globe on the new tail.

UA ditching the globe is about as likely as AS dropping Chester or DL dropping the widget.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:44 am

Quoting antoniemey (Reply 191):
UA ditching the globe is about as likely as AS dropping Chester or DL dropping the widget.

I'm just not sure that the UA globe is as intrinsic to "United" as Chester is to Alaska or the widget is to Delta. Not saying they'll change it, but it definitely screams "Continental" to some folks, just as the Tulip screams "United".

-Dave
-Dave

hiflyeras

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:08 am

Quoting antoniemey (Reply 191):
But UA has invested enough into making the globe their emblem that it's not going away without a lot of trouble and expense. So, as long as UA is preforming decently, it's not going away.

It's been how many years? I don't think UA when I see that tail...I still think CO.

antoniemey

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:42 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 192):
I'm just not sure that the UA globe is as intrinsic to "United" as Chester is to Alaska or the widget is to Delta.

Not claiming it is, just saying that they're going to need to see a really good reason to change it. Or have a CEO on an ego trip.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

coolian2

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:53 am

How about a new UA livery thread?
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

airliner371

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:50 am

I'm curious, will there be a new bulkhead design with the new branding?

nicholasjet

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Interesting article on the rebranding here, including some great images of the evolution of the brand and logo... well worth a look if you like the article.

http://thedesignair.net/2016/02/09/g...anderson-for-their-alaska-rebrand/

EA CO AS

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:05 pm

From the article:

David Bates did have one regret with the rebrand though that would speak to most of our readership. “We wanted to give everyone that works for Alaska Airlines a 1/200 Gemini Jets scale model of the new livery design to admire at the launch.”

Man, I would have LOVED that!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos