Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

IR To Resume Flights To The US

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:46 pm

Source

I guess we finally know why IR wanted the A380s. Seems negotiations are ongoing to establish direct flights from Iran to the US, with LAX and JFK being the prime airports.

Didn't see anything opened and though this merited its own thread.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

thekorean

RE: IR To Resume Flights To The US

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:05 pm

Has US ever had a direct from openly hostile country before?

I guess SU to SVO.

lesfalls

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:08 pm

Quoting thekorean (Reply 1):

They had flights to Poland,Hungary,Czech republic and Romania when they were hostile.

[Edited 2016-01-26 13:12:24]
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

kelvin933

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:16 pm

Before there are any direct flights between Iran and the USA the countries need to establish diplomatic relations.
After an exchange of ambassadors, an air service agreement needs to be negotiated and implemented.
Considering the goings on in the US House of Representatives these things may take a bit of time.
“Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests.”

nicode

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:20 pm

With the new VWP for Iran in the United States, I'm surprised that even negotiations are ongoing...

WIederling

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:32 pm

openly hostile country

more like hostile reciprocity.
Murphy is an optimist

thekorean

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:38 pm

Quoting WIederling (Reply 5):

True, but American carriers aren't looking to start IKA.

MIflyer12

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:40 pm

Quoting kelvin933 (Reply 3):
Before there are any direct flights between Iran and the USA the countries need to establish diplomatic relations.

That gets repeated on a.net but I'll point out that the U.S. and Cuba had direct flights (charters) long before the recent restoration of embassies and full diplomatic relations.

kelvin933

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:08 pm

Quoting MIflyer12 (Reply 7):
That gets repeated on a.net but I'll point out that the U.S. and Cuba had direct flights (charters) long before the recent restoration of embassies and full diplomatic relations.

All the charters that I can remember on USA-Cuba have been operated by US registered aircraft.
Are you seriously suggesting that IR would be allowed to operate IKA-LAX charters ?
“Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests.”

sandyb123

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Quoting kelvin933 (Reply 3):

The best way to get Iran to be a diplomatic friend is to stop punishing them for the slightly dubious government and engage with them on all levels, including aviation.

I for one thing that IR starting scheduled service to the US is good for the world.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

LTU932

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:43 pm

Quoting nicode (Reply 4):
With the new VWP for Iran in the United States

You mean the restrictions on the VWP regarding those who travelled to Iran and people of Iranian descent with VWP eligible passports? There's no way Iran gets into the VWP, not to mention that with the lack of diplomatic relations, for an Iranian to get a US visa is nearly impossible anyway.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

PlymSpotter

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:49 pm

Quoting kelvin933 (Reply 8):
All the charters that I can remember on USA-Cuba have been operated by US registered aircraft.
Are you seriously suggesting that IR would be allowed to operate IKA-LAX charters ?

Is this not because the aircraft would be seized due to ongoing legal issues?

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

lesfalls

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:50 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 11):

That's why Cubana is afraid to fly to the U.S 
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

ASA

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:58 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 10):
with the lack of diplomatic relations, for an Iranian to get a US visa is nearly impossible anyway.

Lots of Iranian students come to the US for graduate studies ... great students in my experience!

They go to Turkey for their visa applications. Not easy by any means ... of course.

JayBCNLON

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:54 pm

I really do not understand why some here believe that formal bilateral diplomatic relations are a prerequisite for bilateral air traffic agreements.

The legal framework countries can choose to use is governed by ICAO, which is the UN organization for air traffic. Both the US and Iran are members of the UN and of ICAO. Countries can even have Air links without any agreements, even though that is quite rare.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilateral_air_transport_agreement

I also do not see why Iran with sanctions now being lifted would have to be considered any more hostile than any other country.

If there is demand - and i think there is no doubt that there is - for direct air links between Iran and the US then they should be and can re-established.

LAXintl

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:30 am

Is not going to happen for a looooooong time.

First Iran must earn IASA Category-I rating.

Second Iran must allow US agencies such as FAA, TSA and DHS to snoop around their airports and government authorities to certify security compliance.

Then Iran must enter into a bunch of bilateral agreements with the US including information and data sharing and things like willingness to accept back and deported passengers.

And lastly the biggest hurdle -- Iran is a designated state sanctioned terrorism sponsor nation. No way DHS will sign off with murky backgrounds of who provides what or who has what access to aviation security and facilities in Iran.

If you want a good example of how things can be hard to overcome - look at Lebanon a nation with similar murky background where a recognized terrorist organization is part of defacto governance of the nation.

[Edited 2016-01-26 16:32:32]
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

usdcaguy

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:59 am

Quoting JayBCNLON (Reply 14):
I also do not see why Iran with sanctions now being lifted would have to be considered any more hostile than any other country.

Certain elements within Iran still have it out for the US after all these years. After all, we gave asylum to their revolutionary trophy. That said, it's been an awfully long time, and I'm sure there is a lot of pent-up demand from both ethnic Iranians and Americans to visit Iran. Below is a TV commercial from Iran Air in the 70's, before everything got so dark and dreary. Perhaps they could use it again? The accent is a little strange, but it would definitely make people pay attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3WrZMPXzqU

solarflyer22

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:05 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 10):
ligible passports? There's no way Iran gets into the VWP, not to mention that with the lack of diplomatic relations, for an Iranian to get a US visa is nearly impossible anyway.

Yeah, there really is almost no way Iranians can enter the US and now with new rules in places VWP members who went to Iran after 2011 lost their visa free entrance into the USA. That kills of 50% off the potential pax right off the bat.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 11):
Is this not because the aircraft would be seized due to ongoing legal issues?

The USA already sanctioned Iran Air in the past, in part for flights to Syria, and any Israeli American will sue to have the plane impounded. These were the same imbeciles that tried to auction off the Persepolis Tablets housed at the University of Chicago's archaeological section because it was Iranian government property. Mind you these tablets are 2750 years and considered priceless and irreplaceable. So why not sue to get a $200 million A380 to pay for "terrorism" supported by a state sponsor of terror? Same deal for Canada too.

he legal framework countries can choose to use is governed by ICAO

Thats true. You don't need diplomatic relations or even a Embassy but up until recently, the US Gov had no way to contact the Iranian government directly. Certainly it would make it easier.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 15):
If you want a good example of how things can be hard to overcome - look at Lebanon a nation with similar murky background where a recognized terrorist organization is part of defacto governance of the nation.

It is hard. As soon as that plane lands in JFK, you can bet an Israeli American will demand to be flown to IKA with their Israeli passport much as they did to Kuwait Airways and that will torpedo the route. You may recall Kuwait abandoned the JFK to LON route for this exact reason.

It's hard to halfway normalize relations with the USA/Iran. Iran has to go either all in and abandon everything or the US/Israel have to compromise and take small steps like trade and aviation.

Still, I am surprised they are at a point where they are even negotiating it. I guess that's progress.

Viscount724

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:20 am

I guess SU to SVO.

SU has been serving the US since 1967. Both SU and Pan Am began JFK-SVO service the same day. Pan Am found the route unprofitable and dropped SVO after a few years (restarted many years later) but I think SU has operated continuously.

The Soviets stalled on finalizing a bilateral with the U.S. until the IL-62 was ready for service as they didn't want to lose face by operating the Tu-114 turboprop alongside Pan Am 707s.

LAXintl

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:29 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 18):
but I think SU has operated continuously.

SU service to the US was suspended in early 1981 after Afghanistan invasion and crackdown in Poland with resultant added US economic sanctions against the Soviet Union.

They resumed in 1986 after Reagan and Gorbachev met and both sides agreed to allow 4x weekly frequency for PA and SU.

chrisp390

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:36 am

I talked to someone many years ago before the merger at AA who told me AA was looking at flying to Iraq. I never asked much more about how serious it was or anything else but makes me wonder how difficult it can be to get these sort of things in order seeing as it never materialized.

Also does anyone have any idea why Qatar is not on the list of states that sponsor terror? From what I have heard there was a lot of evidence suggesting they support terror organizations.

[Edited 2016-01-26 18:46:22]

usdcaguy

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:28 am

Quoting chrisp390 (Reply 20):
Also does anyone have any idea why Qatar is not on the list of states that sponsor terror? From what I have heard there was a lot of evidence suggesting they support terror organizations.

The US Central Command has its forward headquarters in Qatar. They can do a workaround in that case to avoid inconvenient labels, as they always do.

MarcoPoloWorld

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:20 am

And lastly the biggest hurdle -- Iran is a designated state sanctioned terrorism sponsor nation.

Really?

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 21):
The US Central Command has its forward headquarters in Qatar. They can do a workaround in that case to avoid inconvenient labels, as they always do.

Well, then there we go.

ushermittwoch

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:52 am

The changes to the VWP have thwarted my holiday plans for 2016 since I was planning on visiting Iran this year. But obtaining a US visa is too much hassle for me personally. Really unfortunate.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

AirIndia

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:36 am

Quoting ASA (Reply 13):
They go to Turkey for their visa applications. Not easy by any means ... of course.

Istanbul and Dubai are the 2 US consulates that offer visa services for Iranians. The announcements in the US consulate in Dubai happen in English Arabic and Farsi, due to heavy volumes of Iranian applications.

ASA

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:48 am

"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" - said some wise guy!

Qatar only supports "freedom fighters"  

LAXintl

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:07 am

Quoting MarcoPoloWorld (Reply 22):
Really?

Yes very much. There are clear Congressional imposed restrictions for nations on the list including trade and financial links.

The requirements to get off the list which must be certified by the President in report to Congress are:

--There has been a fundamental change in the leadership and policies of the government of the country concerned,
--The government is not supporting acts of international terrorism, and
--The government has provided assurances that it will not support acts of international terrorism in the future.

No way an airline for a nation on the state sponsors of terrorism would be allowed to fly to the U.S.

Air Koryo has a better chance at landing at LAX at the moment than does Iran Air.

Quoting AirIndia (Reply 24):
Istanbul and Dubai are the 2 US consulates that offer visa services for Iranians.

Embassy in Ankara is the primary point in Turkey for such services. Iranians often take buses to Ankara.

directorguy

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:17 am

The process for getting a US visa for Iranians is terrible. Not only do applicants need to travel to Ankara or Dubai (both cater to Iranian residents and have Farsi speaking consular staff) but many applicants are subject to an open ended administrative processing which can take months or even years. Once they are 'cleared', visas can only be issued for 3 months, single entry. Does not encourage repeat business, and makes things harder for students, as a trip home over the holidays means they have to get a fresh visa application.
Extending visa validity to say 1 year multiple entries would be a positive move and would increase the viability of a direct Iran-US route.

mercure1

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:34 am

Quoting Directorguy (Reply 27):

In fairness its probably very hard if not impossible for the U.S. to properly verify the backgrounds and stories of applicants.
Its not like Iran shares information about its citizens with the U.S., so identity of pesons, validity of documents and stories is likely virtually impossible to corroborate for the U.S.

Normally is quite common between nations to share basic biographical information of its citizens including verifying if documents like passport is valid. I doubt U.S. and Iran have such basic communications.
mercure f-wtcc

eielef

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:46 am

I guess SU to SVO.

Think that this route existed since the Soviet Times. It was only after the fall of the USSR that an american company started flying to Russia (don't know what was before DL466/467 JFK-SVO-JFK).
But check all the american and PROChinese companies flying to PVG, PEK between others. And the "charters" to Cuba.

Did PanAm ever flew to Moscow? It would have been the Flight of the Spies, as it is today the SU104/105 SVO-IAD-SVO.

LTU932

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:28 am

Quoting ASA (Reply 13):
Lots of Iranian students come to the US for graduate studies ... great students in my experience!

Which is why I said nearly impossible. I guess it's a matter of time, money, lots of patience and luck.

The security concerns alone will put a halt to any effort by Iran to restart air service.

Quoting solarflyer22 (Reply 17):
Yeah, there really is almost no way Iranians can enter the US and now with new rules in places VWP members who went to Iran after 2011 lost their visa free entrance into the USA. That kills of 50% off the potential pax right off the bat.

Not to mention that even for US citizens, flying to Iran could mean that they can no longer obtain Global Entry or TSA Precheck. I believe this was also mentioned in one of the Iran threads.

[Edited 2016-01-27 00:33:12]
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

DolphinAir747

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:07 am

does anyone have any idea why Qatar is not on the list of states that sponsor terror? From what I have heard there was a lot of evidence suggesting they support terror organizations.

Same reason Saudi Arabia isn't. Take a guess. It rhymes with "boil"

nimool

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:13 am

First Iran must earn IASA Category-I rating.

Second Iran must allow US agencies such as FAA, TSA and DHS to snoop around their airports and government authorities to certify security compliance.

That is true, however from what is being heard that if they get the A380 deal done, the delivery would be 2019 onwards, so there is a good 3 year ahead of all what you said to be certified or earned.
Iran Air, we take you there, we take you back!

aviatorcraig

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:30 am

It is hard. As soon as that plane lands in JFK, you can bet an Israeli American will demand to be flown to IKA with their Israeli passport much as they did to Kuwait Airways and that will torpedo the route. You may recall Kuwait abandoned the JFK to LON route for this exact reason.

Not the same thing at all. The Kuwait service was a 5th freedom flight carrying passengers between two nations where the Israeli passport is recognised. The legal case was effectively about discrimination. On the other hand, the sovereign nations of Kuwait or Iran have the right to accept or deny entry to whoever they please - if you don't have acceptable documents to gain entry, the airline won't fly you because they have to take you back to the point of origin at their expense. The same thing happens on flights to the US every day of the week.

So why not sue to get a $200 million A380 to pay for "terrorism" supported by a state sponsor of terror? Same deal for Canada too.

I had no idea that Canada was a state sponsor of terror!  
707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!

pvjin

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:53 am

Hey, let's be realistic here. As soon as Iran adopts some more pro-American policies and starts buying American weaponry it will be removed from the list of states that sponsor terrorism. Saudi-Arabia and Qatar sponsor all kinds of Sunni terrorist groups that actually threaten the west unlike the Shia ones supported by Iran, yet they can fly to the US just freely and aren't on the list.

The US doesn't mind a little bit of terrorism or genocide as long as you buy American weapons and hold pro-US policies.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

directorguy

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:12 am

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 28):

Of course, but visas are also a political tool-until recently citizens of the People's Republic of China only got 1 year multiple-entry visas, and were only upgraded to 5 years after some high profile visit (I think Obama going to China).
Even Syrian citizens, as of this writing, still get 2-year multiple entry visas.

If and when Iran Air resumes flights to the US, it could be via a city in Europe, where passengers will be re-screened before they board the aircraft for the transatlantic leg. This is similar to what PK does. A 1-stop service to Europe could easily be operated by an A330 instead of going for a 777 or used A340 for a nonstop Iran-US flight.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:07 pm

Quoting Directorguy (Reply 35):
If and when Iran Air resumes flights to the US, it could be via a city in Europe, where passengers will be re-screened before they board the aircraft for the transatlantic leg. This is similar to what PK does. A 1-stop service to Europe could easily be operated by an A330 instead of going for a 777 or used A340 for a nonstop Iran-US flight.

The question is which country is willing to carry the burden for it. It could definitely work provided that, for the time being, just one country is willing to provide fifth freedom rights to IR and is "in bed" with the US and Iran. Germany, Switzerland, Sweden...those are probably the best candidates.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

airbazar

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:57 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 26):
Air Koryo has a better chance at landing at LAX at the moment than does Iran Air.

I should save this comment in the same file where "AA will never buy Airbus" is saved  It wasn't that hard to remove Cuba from that list and I don't expect that it will be that hard to remove Iran.
The difference with Iran when compared to North Korea is that they are a very large and rich nation in which U.S. businesses are begging to get in. Our government officials are no less corrupt than others, the difference being that we use the word "lobby" to describe it. A better comparison would be with Qatar, as many pointed out, which is a well know sponsor of "terrorism". I predict that Iran Air will be flying to the U.S. shortly after the next presidential election, if not sooner depending on who are the nominees. I suspect that open relations with Cuba will come first though.

us330

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:15 pm

Quoting Directorguy (Reply 27):
The process for getting a US visa for Iranians is terrible. Not only do applicants need to travel to Ankara or Dubai (both cater to Iranian residents and have Farsi speaking consular staff)

You can't really complain about the "travel" part of it, considering that the U.S. doesn't have any diplomatic or consular staff/officials in Teheran (and vice versa, except for Iran's UN representatives).

liftsifter

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:21 pm

openly hostile country

more like hostile reciprocity.

Quoting thekorean (Reply 6):

True, but American carriers aren't looking to start IKA.

What does that even have to do with anything? They're also discontinuing routes which were profitable in favor of a war with the ME3, should their actions now suddenly be the gold standard?

Quoting Directorguy (Reply 35):

It's up to Iran to show that their security measures are effective enough in order to avoid something like that.
A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A342 A343 A346 A380 B736 B737 B738 B744 B763 B77L B77E B77W B788 E190

aryonoco

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 26):
Iranians often take buses to Ankara.

They used to. Things have changed a bit with the recent troubles cause by Daesh and the skirmished in Kurdish areas of Turkey. A couple of Iranian buses gut ransacked after crossing the border, and ground travel to Ankara is now way down. Air travel is booming though.

aryonoco

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:27 pm

This would require a massive change in attitude on the parts of the Iranians to happen. I do not see that on the cards for quite some time.

The State Department still considers Iran to be a state sponsor of terrorism. Most of US' unilateral sanctions are Iran are still in place. There are just too many hurdles for direct flights. Unless there is more of a normalisation of relations, direct flights aren't going to happen anytime soon.

harleydriver

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:37 pm

I don't understand why the nonstop is required. I imagine the process to get a U.S. visa for an Iranian and vise versa for an American is so difficult and time consuming that a the passenger count for a nonstop flight wouldn't be that high. There are ways to get between the two countries via LHR, CDG and IST just to name a few that a nonstop flight isn't a requirement.
Department of Redundancy Department

Navigator

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:37 pm

As soon as money is involved and US gets benefits from increased travel and trade things tend to go fast on all levels. I think most people in this forum will be surprised to see things happening real fast in relations between US and Iran. In this case you have to think outside the box a bit...
747-400/747-200/L1011/DC-10/DC-9/DC-8/MD-80/MD90/A340/A330/A300/A310/A321/A320/A319/767/757/737/727/HS-121/CV990/CV440/S

jsfr

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:55 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 9):

The best way to get Iran to be a diplomatic friend is to stop punishing them for the slightly dubious government and engage with them on all levels, including aviation.

The best comment in this thread...

The more we all get to know each other on this planet, and the more we start making money from each other, the more we will all be friends!

Remember the queues outside the first McDonalds in Beijing?

Everybody seems to forget that Iran used to be (and after Dubai probably still is) the most westernised country in the Middle East.

CARST

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:19 pm

That would not happen in this case. This was only possible, because the route was between the US and some 3rd party country.

In this case no one could try this stunt, as said person (from Israel) would not get a visa for Iran, thus would be denied boarding for not having a visa. This is legal, even in the US of A.

PanAm1971

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Quoting nimool (Reply 32):
That is true, however from what is being heard that if they get the A380 deal done, the delivery would be 2019 onwards, so there is a good 3 year ahead of all what you said to be certified or earned.

They'd have to rush to get the process completed by that time. And its unlikely things can be rushed on this end. 2022 is about when I would expect the process to be done.

adambrau

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 30):

I guess SU to SVO.

Think that this route existed since the Soviet Times. It was only after the fall of the USSR that an american company started flying to Russia (don't know what was before DL466/467 JFK-SVO-JFK).
But check all the american and PROChinese companies flying to PVG, PEK between others. And the "charters" to Cuba.

Did PanAm ever flew to Moscow? It would have been the Flight of the Spies, as it is today the SU104/105 SVO-IAD-SVO.

Pan Am flew to the USSR for many years, both LED and SVO.

SVO had nonstop service from JFK on 747's in the 80's.

SVO and LED also had service via FRA on 727's in the 80's as well..
JFK Friendly

PanAm1971

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Quoting aryonoco (Reply 41):
This would require a massive change in attitude on the parts of the Iranians to happen. I do not see that on the cards for quite some time.

That depends which Iranians you're talking about. There is the Iran of Tehran... modern in outlook. Then there is the Iran of the hinterland. Some would argue the real Iran. Religious. Suspicious. Conservative. Obsessed with honor and face. The trick is to empower the former without causing another eruption of the latter. I expect it will be done. BUT it will take time. Probably more time than anyone would like.

N62NA

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:10 pm

You're joking, yes?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos