Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

toxtethogrady

RE: IR To Resume Flights To The US

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:18 pm

Quoting ASA (Reply 13):
Lots of Iranian students come to the US for graduate studies

Iranian researchers were also well represented at the most recent TRB meeting.

I'm surprised that Houston was not mentioned as a destination, since that had been proposed back in the Shah's days. I suspect the average Iranian would prefer to fly to Orlando and Disneyworld these days.

JerseyFlyer

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:27 pm

Quoting PanAm1971 (Reply 48):
There is the Iran of Tehran... modern in outlook. Then there is the Iran of the hinterland. Some would argue the real Iran. Religious. Suspicious. Conservative.

A pattern not unknown in other countries

toxtethogrady

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:30 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 49):
You're joking, yes?

You think Saudi Arabia is any friendler?

For that matter, I wouldn't trust Honduras any farther than I could throw it.

N62NA

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:40 pm

Quoting toxtethogrady (Reply 52):

Do the leaders of Saudi Arabia or Honduras constantly issue proclamations that they intend to wipe Israel off the face of the earth?

Here is the original quote to which I responded:

Quoting JayBCNLON (Reply 14):
I also do not see why Iran with sanctions now being lifted would have to be considered any more hostile than any other country.

If you agree, fine. I don't.

lychemsa

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:43 pm

Complete nonsense. I very much doubt this.

ec99

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:26 pm

The problem with Iran is that this regime was initially a big sponsor of terrorism (see link below). They have since cleaned up their act for the most part but this is still the regime that did some pretty bad intentional acts against the USA. I am not saying USA was wholly or even largely in the right on this issue but it doesn’t change that the Iranian government were state sponsors of terrorism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_and_state-sponsored_terrorism

Quoting ASA (Reply 25):
"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" - said some wise guy!

Couldn’t be better said. Are the Russians terrorists or freedom fighters carpet bombing Syrian civilians in an effort to defeat the various factions opposing the Syrian government. Are the Iranian financed and armed Hezbollah who have in the past assassinated opposition Lebanese political leaders and lobbed rockets into Israeli cities freedom fighters or terrorists?

All depends on ones perspective. This comes back to the IR air flights because it depends what the US government thinks. The problem is the Iranian view on freedom fighter vs terrorist is not really consistent with the view coming out of the White House and State Department.

Ultimately, I think this flight is only viable if the Iranians really want it and are willing to make concessions to get it. Nonstop LAX-IKA flights just doesn’t matter much to America. However, if the US government can get concessions from Iran, say they renounce terrorism, apologize for previous terrorist acts and stop arming and funding Hezbollah, I would bet any Democratic administration and perhaps even some GOP administrations would accept that trade off and allow the flights to move forward. My guess would be Iran is not willing to go through the steps required to make non-stop flights possible in the next five years but I hope to be proven wrong.

[Edited 2016-01-27 09:27:09]

airbazar

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:31 pm

Quoting toxtethogrady (Reply 52):

I find state governments who poison city water to be far more dangerous than any country.

vishaljo

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:48 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 26):
No way an airline for a nation on the state sponsors of terrorism would be allowed to fly to the U.S.

PK flies to JFK    but then again the following post explains how & why:

Quoting pvjin (Reply 34):
Hey, let's be realistic here. As soon as Iran adopts some more pro-American policies and starts buying American weaponry it will be removed from the list of states that sponsor terrorism. Saudi-Arabia and Qatar sponsor all kinds of Sunni terrorist groups that actually threaten the west unlike the Shia ones supported by Iran, yet they can fly to the US just freely and aren't on the list.

The US doesn't mind a little bit of terrorism or genocide as long as you buy American weapons and hold pro-US policies.

I was wondering about the possibility of Air India or 9W attempting a BOM / DEL - IKA - JFK or wherever there's a large Iranian population in the US.
Ofcourse i dont know if either of our carriers have FF for this but if they did.
Can't they logistically pull this off?

None of the Gulf carriers would attempt this for obvious reasons and there dosen't seem any other dominant player in the region.

WIederling

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:15 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 53):
Do the leaders of Saudi Arabia or Honduras constantly issue proclamations that they intend to wipe Israel off the face of the earth?

got any references in the original language?
The translations you find in (US) English news tend to be rather well pimped up to follow a certain lead.

There are a lot of "breathtaking" cites published in media that seem to have no reference in the original speech.

Old story but in the same vein: Khruschev: "we will bury you"  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_will_bury_you
composed from the same people that gave us the "Incubator Lie" ?
Murphy is an optimist

JoeCanuck

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:41 pm

Quoting solarflyer22 (Reply 17):
Same deal for Canada too.

It seems saner heads are prevailing. It's looking like some sanctions, (like those affecting BBD), will soon be lifted.

Quoting ASA (Reply 25):
Qatar only supports "freedom fighters"

You owe me a new keyboard.

Quoting aviatorcraig (Reply 33):
I had no idea that Canada was a state sponsor of terror!

Just ask any baby seal....

Hey, let's be realistic here. As soon as Iran adopts some more pro-American policies and starts buying American weaponry it will be removed from the list of states that sponsor terrorism.

...or...as soon as Iran starts paying off US representatives at the same scale as 'freedom fighter' supporting countries.

Quoting JerseyFlyer (Reply 51):
A pattern not unknown in other countries

....such as the gay and evolution friendly southern US.

Bill O'Reilly....? Is that you...?
What the...?

N62NA

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:55 pm

Quoting WIederling (Reply 58):
The translations you find in (US) English news tend to be rather well pimped up to follow a certain lead.

There are a lot of "breathtaking" cites published in media that seem to have no reference in the original speech

Oh I see, it's just a "translation error." Got it.

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 59):
Bill O'Reilly....? Is that you...?

????????????????

thekorean

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:11 pm

Hate to agree but facts are facts...

American list of terrorist sponsoring countries are countries we don't like.

Surprised Russia isn't on the list...yet.

QANTAS077

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:16 pm

Saudi's just send the Bin Laden's and 15 others to destroy your buildings...actions speak louder than words, remember that one day in September and where most of the hijackers came from.

then you go bomb Iraq whilst Mr Bush walks hand in hand with the King. you can't make this shit up.

[Edited 2016-01-27 13:17:13]

ua900

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:40 am

Quoting thekorean (Reply 1):
Has US ever had a direct from openly hostile country before? I guess SU to SVO.

How is Russia openly hostile to the U.S.? Having ups and downs in a relationship doesn't per se prevent flights, look at all the U.S. - CCS or U.S. - Cuba flights.

Quoting WIederling (Reply 5):
more like hostile reciprocity.

Taking it to *that* level might include places like Brazil and Argentina as well. Once again, doesn't preclude flights.

Quoting thekorean (Reply 6):
True, but American carriers aren't looking to start IKA.

They might at some point, though ample existing coverage through alliance partners and proximity to the ME3 might be bigger factors than US-Iran relations.

Quoting MIflyer12 (Reply 7):
That gets repeated on a.net but I'll point out that the U.S. and Cuba had direct flights (charters) long before the recent restoration of embassies and full diplomatic relations.

Exactly   

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 11):
Is this not because the aircraft would be seized due to ongoing legal issues?

CU does fly to the U.S. on occasion for official business without planes getting seized. The reparations issue is part of the current bilateral negotiations process. CU flies to lots of other countries without any issues.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 10):
with the lack of diplomatic relations, for an Iranian to get a US visa is nearly impossible anyway.

Lots of travel between the U.S. and Iran in both directions. Amazingly many Iranians don't overstay their Visas. Always good to have students see the other side to reduce conflict in the future.
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

aryonoco

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:41 am

This thread, like all other Iran threads, has descended into a farce again very quickly.

I appreciate that separating politics from the issue of Iran is not easy, but I do really wish we at least tried to keep this aviation related.

Some of the comments here are so off topic it's not even funny.

solarflyer22

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:47 am

Quoting thekorean (Reply 61):
Surprised Russia isn't on the list...yet.

I mean Russia and KGB/FSB have been busted with multiple plumonium assassinations which is a technique only they use. Is that terrorism? Not in my mind.

Terrorism in my mind is mass killing of civilians for a political reasons or blackmail. Russian hasn't really done that IMO.

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 62):

lol. There haven't been any proclamations or fatwas. They just want to throw salt in Israel's eyes and I frankly enjoy it.

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 59):
It seems saner heads are prevailing. It's looking like some sanctions, (like those affecting BBD), will soon be lifted.

Sorry, my comment on Canada is that Harper (like Bush, surprise, surprise) passed a law saying you could sue a foreign government for sponsoring terrorism. Someone in Canada actually sued to have the embassy land of Iran confiscated but I think lost. Same thing could happen to Iran Air assets potentially albeit unlikely imo. Trudeau already said he's going to remove Canadian Iran sanctions soon.

Quoting WIederling (Reply 58):

The never said they would wipe Israel off the map. I speak Persian fluently, I was born and raised in Iran and I saw AJad's speech on YouTube. It wasn't even close. The Israelis just flat out lied. It was not a mistranslation. It was based on something a Netanyahu staffer read online that was itself erroneous.

Quoting PanAm1971 (Reply 48):
Then there is the Iran of the hinterland.

Last time I was there, the hinterland was hard to find. Times are changing, not always for the best. The SUV has unfortunately exploded in popularity. Thanks USA!

shanderawx

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:10 am

Didn't IR fly to IAH in the early 1970s? I recall seeing the signs in the airport but am not sure the flights took place.

Freshside3

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:11 pm

Quoting shanderawx (Reply 66):
Didn't IR fly to IAH in the early 1970s? I recall seeing the signs in the airport but am not sure the flights took place.

Don't know about that, but IAH service would make a lot of sense. Also to Tehrangeles (LAX   )

JoeCanuck

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:13 pm

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 67):

Sense has never been a key ingredient for anything to do with Iran.
What the...?

Amsterdam

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:49 am

Didn't Iran Air have the longest flight of the world for a while, Teheran New York?

aryonoco

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:48 am

Quoting Amsterdam (Reply 69):
Didn't Iran Air have the longest flight of the world for a while, Teheran New York?

Yes, that's when they were the launch customer, with Pan-Am, of the 747SP.

The SP still couldn't do THR-JFK westwards, it had a tech stop at LHR. But the JFK to THR leg was non-stop and that was, for a time, the longest scheduled passenger route in the world.

Of course this was in the 70s, before the revolution and the hostage crisis and all that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos