Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

G500
Topic Author

Boeing Factory Tours? Big NO-NO At Gulfstream

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Does Boeing still allow tours of their Boeing factory in Seattle????

Gulfstream will not even allow Gulftstream pilots to take a picture once inside their factory. I asked a Gulfstream mechanic why so much paranoia, he said. "Because there isn't an airplane that has not been cloned "

moo

RE: Boeing Factory Tours? Big NO-NO At Gulfstream

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:55 pm

Quoting g500 (Thread starter):
Gulfstream will not even allow Gulftstream pilots to take a picture once inside their factory. I asked a Gulfstream mechanic why so much paranoia, he said. "Because there isn't an airplane that has not been cloned "

Makes no sense since anyone cloning an aircraft could get more from buying a few aircraft and taking them apart than they could from photos of the FAL - certain aspects of manufacturing are trade secrets, such as the precise way in which engine manufacturers shape and treat their fan blades, but you wouldnt get those processes happening anywhere near the FAL.

BAeRJ100

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:55 pm

Boeing factory tours in Everett can be purchased from the Future of Flight. They don't allow any photography either (they don't even allow cell phones to be taken on the tour).

I did the tour a couple years ago and loved seeing the 787s, 777s and 747s during production, but the downside is because the tour guides are on such a strict schedule and deal with quite a large group it was also very impersonal - there was the typical pushing/I paid for this so I'll block everyone mentality from a lot of the individuals, while us who were more polite and tried to wait for a view were expected to miss out. You stop at various 'lookouts' over the production lines, some can accomodate everyone while others you have to take it in turns to look over. At some of the latter, barely half the group would have a chance to look before the guide would be YELLING at us that we had to go. And it was always the same people that pushed in to view first and would take their time. (rant over!)

[Edited 2016-01-27 05:56:14]

[Edited 2016-01-27 05:56:55]
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

finnishway

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:01 pm

I just saw a clip in the Finnish media about airline manufacturers. They had visited Airbus in Toulouse and Boeing in Everett. TV presenter on that clip told that Boeing allows everybody to buy tour tickets for tours in their factories, but you are not allowed to take pictures there. He said that airline manufacturers want to protect their patents and they weren't allowed to film inside the factory themselves. For the news clip they used material filmed by Airbus and Boeing themselves.

N14AZ

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:06 pm

I asked a Gulfstream mechanic why so much paranoia, he said. "Because there isn't an airplane that has not been cloned "

I would think that confidentiality towards the private customers plays a larger role...

Quoting BAeRJ100 (Reply 2):
They don't allow any photography either (they don't even allow cell phones to be taken on the tour).

Question: how comes we see pictures from the FAL from time to time (particuarly from the 787 FAL)? Are this authorized pictures?

longhauler

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:17 pm

I remember going to Seattle to pick up a new B767. We were given a personal tour by our own company rep, but still were under very strict rules.

We were allowed cameras, but had to wear a visible pink "camera authorized" tag on our lapel.

We were told that cameras were controlled/restricted for several reasons. Among them were as stated above, some companies did not want visible pictures of their aircraft being made public, either for security or for corporate confidentiality.

Another reason I found interesting, was not the aircraft itself, but Boeing wanted to keep certain aspects and methods of the construction process kept secret. So having a copy of the end product was less important than how it got to be that end product. This would make sense to me, as Boeing has been building airframes for many many years. I am sure by now that have discovered better ways of construction.

For that reason, even though we were wearing "camera authorized" tags, we were asked a couple of times during the tour not to take pictures as we arrived at a particular point in construction that was not for public knowledge.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

smittythepirate

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:25 pm

I know you were talking about Everett but Boeing South Carolina does not offer tours of the plant to the public. They recently had a family day which allowed the workers to bring friends and family on campus to see but photography was banned inside all buildings.

[Edited 2016-01-27 06:27:52]
www.jbweather.com

Acey559

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:27 pm

I toured the Embraer Executive Jets line back in 2014 and don't remember them making any kind of fuss. They even went as far as to mention a little about who had purchased a few of the aircraft on the production line. Those planes did have logos though so not exactly a secret. Very accommodating folks down there, though.

apfpilot

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:51 pm

I've toured the Cirrus production line and photos were allowed (they had a special "skunk works" area though that was behind black curtains and no entry was permitted) and Hawker Beechcraft and was able to take photos without issue.
http://i.imgur.com/PohLezN.jpg
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

EMBQA

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:57 pm

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 7):
I toured the Embraer Executive Jets line back in 2014

Embraer company policy is no photography..period.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

voodoo

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:22 pm

I imagine company engineers from all companies pose as tourists, camera or none. So how secret can things be?
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

diverted

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Quoting BAeRJ100 (Reply 2):
Boeing factory tours in Everett can be purchased from the Future of Flight. They don't allow any photography either (they don't even allow cell phones to be taken on the tour).

I did the tour a couple years ago and loved seeing the 787s, 777s and 747s during production, but the downside is because the tour guides are on such a strict schedule and deal with quite a large group it was also very impersonal - there was the typical pushing/I paid for this so I'll block everyone mentality from a lot of the individuals, while us who were more polite and tried to wait for a view were expected to miss out. You stop at various 'lookouts' over the production lines, some can accomodate everyone while others you have to take it in turns to look over. At some of the latter, barely half the group would have a chance to look before the guide would be YELLING at us that we had to go. And it was always the same people that pushed in to view first and would take their time. (rant over!)

I did it in June, and my experience is very similar to yours. Very cool seeing 747s,777s, and 787s being built, as well as various other things like the Dreamlifter were pretty cool. Though like you mentioned, it was very impersonal, and I felt like the tour itself was rushed as we spent a good portion of the time waiting for lolligaggers.

A neat experience, undoubtedly, but not necessarily worth doing more than once. I also found the views less than stellar for a good portion of it. IE, the area where they have a cutout of a JL 747 (can't remember if it's a 100 or 200) overlooking the 747 production line. Cool, but you don't get a great view of them, just an overhead angled view.

Would be cool if they had different levels of tours so to speak, the general tour like they do now, as well as a more in depth (and of course more expensive) "enthusiast" tour. Smaller groups, more informed guides (During my tour myself and a Navy Rhino driver found ourselves correcting the tour guide more than once) and more attention to detail than the "Here's the 747, the 777, and the 787 have a nice day, and be sure to spend money at the gift shop"

slider

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:47 pm

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 4):
I would think that confidentiality towards the private customers plays a larger role...

This is exactly right. They also do not allow tours or ANY external visitors at their finishing centers in ATW and LGB, where the very specific client outfitting and equipping happens.

longhauler

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:41 pm

Quoting voodoo (Reply 10):
I imagine company engineers from all companies pose as tourists, camera or none. So how secret can things be?

I am sure you are right. But it is like terrorists with regard to security. Yes, they eventually will garner the information, but ... why make it easy?

I recall many stories (urban legends) while Concorde was being developed and built. Soviet officials would visit the site looking for as much information as they could find while building their own TU-144. Including, wearing sticky soled shoes to return with bits of metal. Then, they could see what alloys were being used!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:56 pm

Wasn't the no camera rule at the Everett plant done because they wanted to avoid FOD should the camera accidentally fell onto the assembly line?

I do recall reading about it here:

Boeing Everett Tour (by ACB777 Oct 12 2003 in Civil Aviation)

Boeing No Longer Allow Cameras On Factory Tours? (by Bobcat Jul 14 2002 in Civil Aviation)

Everett (by A380 Jan 16 2001 in Civil Aviation)
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

mbm3

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:18 pm

I tool a tour of the 747/777/787 factory floor and was forbidden to take any pictures, with our minders paying close attention. I am sure there are a number of very valid reasons for the policy, but I was certainly bummed not to have a couple shots.

Then again, inspecting the cabin of 787 #003 before certification made it all worthwhile.  
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

catiii

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:21 pm

Gulfstream will not even allow Gulftstream pilots to take a picture once inside their factory. I asked a Gulfstream mechanic why so much paranoia, he said. "Because there isn't an airplane that has not been cloned

What's the big deal? It's their factory and their processes, why the surprise that they don't want photography inside their walls?

77west

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:34 pm

Gulfstream is that restrictive that they won't even allow flight simulation enthusiasts to make a replica airplane for MS Flight Sim !
77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W

BravoOne

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:13 pm

You cannot take cameras into any Boeing simulators either. Even employees working on projects need special permission to photograph in the sims.

airplanenut

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:18 pm

Photography at Boeing isn't banned just for people on the tour. Without a permit for the specific camera, photography and photographic equipment are banned period, even for employees (this includes the factory, offices, etc.). When big events roll around (first flights, etc.) the policy often changes to allow cameras on site, but no photography except in the designated event area (which is usually outside somewhere on the field).
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

cschleic

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:24 pm

Times have changed, everywhere. Back in the day, the Everett tour was free and cameras were allowed. I've got old slides from the upper viewing points of the 747 floor with partly completed -200s and -300s.

b747400erf

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:30 pm

What kind of things could you possibly photograph that would damage your company? especially on a tour that is designated only in certain areas far away from the production.

airforceone

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:46 pm

Curious. There is a Gulfstream pilot who runs the website code7700.com. Great website if anyone is interested on old stories/experiences and also learning academics. But he has posted what essentially is the AFM for the GV. Could rival companies get information off of that?

Stitch

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:10 pm

The Boeing tour guides note that photography is not allowed because once someone dropped their SLR from the gallery onto a wing and damaged it. Whether apocryphal or not, I cannot say.

When I started with Boeing Commercial I was given a full factory tour in Everett as part of my employee orientation and we were told not to bring cell phones or cameras for said tour.

catiii

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:16 pm

This is two separate questions by the way and the thread title is misleading. How does banning photos inside the Gulfstream factory lead to the statement that Gulfstream doesn't do tours (I took a tour there in 2013) and does Boeing still do tours?

joffie

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:21 pm

Correct. No camera or phone on the tour. I did it back in November. They did say someone dropped a camera on a wing and it caused lots of damage. No idea if that is true.

Perhaps they don't want phones due to security (IE could remotely detonate a bomb?)

Stitch

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:53 am

Quoting joffie (Reply 25):
Perhaps they don't want phones due to security (IE could remotely detonate a bomb?)

They could do that from the parking lot of the Future of Fight Museum or even driving by on WA-526.

FlyPIJets

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:33 am

You can take tours of the Everett factory but not the Renton factory. Renton is where the 737 is assembled. Both would be considered Seattle area factories.

I took the Everett tour a couple of years ago. Here are my take-aways.

1. The tour is as much about the building as it is the aircraft assembly. The building (is/was) the largest factory by volume in the world. The infrastructure in the facility in pretty impressive, so, don't ignore that part of the tour. It is an interesting thing too. Not only did Boeing gamble on the 747, but, the facility in Everett as well. Both have paid off. Future CEOs - investment in corporate manufacturing in the US pays off very well, but will feel like a big gamble.

2. Photography was prohibited when I was there, just as everyone is posting here. I don't recall the answer from the tour guide on the reason, protect trade secrets I think. But, no photos, so pay attention and try to remember everything you see in case you can't get back.

3. The tour guides, all Boeing employees with jobs at the factory, were very knowledgable. And very factual. No one could stump them, they repeated aviation history very well, they knew the facility, etc...

4. I never felt rushed or hurried. I felt like a welcomed guest by employees proud of their work.

5. It was well worth the admission price to see the 747 being assembled. And how that process varied from the 777 and 787.

6. Don't miss it if you get the chance.

EDIT:

Also, don't forget to go to King County Airport (Boeing Field) to check out the original Boeing factory plus everything else there. That is a must see as well. (Seattle proper and Boeing Field are both in King County in the State of Washington)

[Edited 2016-01-27 17:51:29]
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

TheSonntag

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:29 am

I visited the XFW plant in 2013. Certainly worth it, very cool to see. However, the procedure is rather strict, you must book in advance and send them a copy of your passport.

The guide hinted that Boeing employees were not allowed during the tour, though, but since I am a german citizen, I did not ask whether you can do the tour with an US passport, too.

If you can, it is great.

N14AZ

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:38 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 28):
The guide hinted that Boeing employees were not allowed during the tour

Is that really true? Or was it rather a joke? I mean, if Boeing would like to spy (something, I don't believe) they could easily ask a joint supplier to spy for them.

Sounds strange to me, and if they would feel the need to block Boeing's employees they would have to block staff from Embraer, Bombardier, Antonov and the chinese OEM as well??

EIDL

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:54 am

The Everett tour has boards in the gift shop of hi-res photos of various points that people might want to photo with the idea that you can take a picture of the board instead. Bit of a clonky workaround though.

TheSonntag

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:11 am

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 29):

Is that really true? Or was it rather a joke?

I am not sure. There is no official document in advance or any Terms and conditions that prohibit Boeing employees to join a tour, at least no public one.

The only publich restrictions are a strict prohibition of cameras, and that you have to follow your guide. The tours can be booked here:

https://werksfuehrung.de/de/airbus-touren/

747400sp

Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:15 am

Quoting slider (Reply 12):
ATW and LGB

Please forgive me, but as a California, I feel it should be LGB and ATW.

vzlet

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:28 pm

Quoting cschleic (Reply 20):
...old slides from the upper viewing points of the 747 floor with partly completed -200s and -300s.

This from 1985:
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark Carlisle

"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

caoimhin

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:39 pm

I've seen multiple Reddit users post photos of themselves standing in front of a detached vertical stabiliser in the 747-8 house livery, they explained that it was taken on the Everett tour. Is that in an area outside of the main building or tour zone?

wilcharl

Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:40 pm

Did the public tour at Everett as others have stated no cameras ... no cell phones allowed..

Went on a private tour of Everett and we were allowed to take cameras but as others have stated were extremely restricted on where we could photograph. The private tour was one of the best things I have ever done in my seventeen years in the industry.

Stitch

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:55 pm

Quoting caoimhin (Reply 34):
I've seen multiple Reddit users post photos of themselves standing in front of a detached vertical stabiliser in the 747-8 house livery, they explained that it was taken on the Everett tour. Is that in an area outside of the main building or tour zone?

It is located inside the Museum of Future Flight.

airplanenut

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:48 pm

Quoting caoimhin (Reply 34):

There's a 747 vertical stabilizer in the Future of Flight museum, which is the location where the tour starts/ends (no photography is prohibited there). See the last photo here: http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads/48149-Paine-Field-KPAE-9-8-14

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 29):
Is that really true? Or was it rather a joke? I mean, if Boeing would like to spy (something, I don't believe) they could easily ask a joint supplier to spy for them.

Could well be true. When I was in high school, I took a tour of the US, which included the Jelly Belly factory tour when we got to San Francisco. The year before mine, the daughter of the CEO of Peeps was on the same tour. They needed to get permission from high up in the executive ranks for her to be allowed on the tour. Of course, they could have said nothing and no one would have been wiser, but disclosing the information was the right thing to do in light of the policies set forth about competitors and their relatives taking the tour.
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

kanban

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:42 pm

The aircraft manufacturing battle these days is as much the manufacture and assembly processes as it is the actual design. Boeing has been investing millions in state of the art processes and is reluctant to share these with competitors (even though years ago we accepted French interns from what became Airbus and allowed them to learn everything they wanted). anyway a good part of the photo ban is preserving the processes, the camera story (although true) is more a PR effort at placating the visitors. .. a good process engineer could learn a lot for just the walk through. Note: you will probably never see a tour of the new 777 wing facility, or the insides of the body join processes (all models), or details of the moving lines. The 737 line used to be open but since 2000 they have clamped done so tight that even retirees who worked there can not come in on family day. and the 737 wing facility was never open to viewing.

canadianpylon

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 5):

Another reason I found interesting, was not the aircraft itself, but Boeing wanted to keep certain aspects and methods of the construction process kept secret. So having a copy of the end product was less important than how it got to be that end product. This would make sense to me, as Boeing has been building airframes for many many years. I am sure by now that have discovered better ways of construction.
Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 14):
Wasn't the no camera rule at the Everett plant done because they wanted to avoid FOD should the camera accidentally fell onto the assembly line?

I took the tour in September, and the reason the tour guide said the 'No Camera' rule was in place was to protect the employees having their pictures all over the internet (twitter, Facebook, etc...) without their authorization. When you're there, you are literally on top of hundreds of employee at any given time, so this makes some sense.

They did also talk about not holding anything over the railings to avoid dropping items on the workers below.

Quoting FlyPIJets (Reply 27):

EDIT:

Also, don't forget to go to King County Airport (Boeing Field) to check out the original Boeing factory plus everything else there. That is a must see as well. (Seattle proper and Boeing Field are both in King County in the State of Washington)

Absolutely! I spent 1/2 a day at Future of Flight, and almost a full day at the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field. I enjoyed the Museum of Flight more than Future of Flight tour.

Be warned... they are at opposite ends of Seattle. It's a long bus ride & walk from downtown Seattle to the Future of Flight.

This reminds me.... I have to do a trip report.
Always looking for the longest route with the most transfers.

kanban

Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:40 pm

Quoting canadianpylon (Reply 39):
I took the tour in September, and the reason the tour guide said the 'No Camera' rule was in place was to protect the employees having their pictures all over the internet (twitter, Facebook, etc...) without their authorization. When you're there, you are literally on top of hundreds of employee at any given time, so this makes some sense.

can't disagree with the logic.. it only takes one malcontent seeing their picture somewhere to start a class action suit against the company for failing to protect their privacy. One wonders where such nonsense will end.

jetstar

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:26 am

Quoting cschleic (Reply 20):
Times have changed, everywhere. Back in the day, the Everett tour was free and cameras were allowed. I've got old slides from the upper viewing points of the 747 floor with partly completed -200s and -300s.

Same here, back in the early 90’s I took the tour and it was free and camera’s were allowed, I got some great pictures of an ANA –400 among others in final assembly.

Back in the late 1970’s I was a ground mechanic for a Gulfstream 2 operator and we took the airplane back to Gulfstream in SAV to comply with some service bulletins and we all got a personally guided tour of the assembly line by a Gulfstream customer service rep. and we were told even back then no cameras.

Same applied at the Lockheed plant in Marietta GA when I attended Lockheed’s JetStar maintenance school. Because of the pass I had, it allowed me to walk through the entire C-130 production line, as long as I stayed within the yellow lines of the safety zone because I did not have safety glasses on, I was told by my instructor absolutely no cameras and considering that this plant was on an Air Force base and was owned by the Air Force and building military airplanes I was totally surprised they even allowed me the freedom to wander around unescorted.

JetStar

pwm2txlhopper

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:29 am

There were no cameras allowed when I took the tour back in 1995. I even recall signs posted along the roads leading past the plant stating no photography allowed.

wilcharl

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:45 pm

Another huge reason why companies don't allow photos aside from operational security and privacy of their employees is because it tends to bog down the tour. Ever been to a major European tourist destination?

Imagine someone with an Airlinerfetish trying to grab the perfect shot of the left phalange as its being attached to the encabulator on the right wing...

bikerthai

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:00 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 16):

What's the big deal? It's their factory and their processes, why the surprise that they don't want photography inside their walls?

You'll be surprise on all the tricks and small tools used in building an aircraft. Many of these tools are developed to improve efficiency and safety and gives a competitive advantage to a manufacturer.

An astute person may be able to pick out these tools and tricks if given time to look at photos and videos.

Of course, industrial spies have probably taken these tours many times and discovered many of these tools and tricks.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

roseflyer

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:04 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 21):
What kind of things could you possibly photograph that would damage your company? especially on a tour that is designated only in certain areas far away from the production.

It is relatively simple. Trade secret law requires a company to make reasonable efforts to keep things confidential. You certainly can observe some processes that are covered by trade secrets and not patents. Designing an airplane is one thing. Establishing a cost effective repeatable production system is another. Airbus and Boeing are able to get detailed information about each others airplanes. Getting insights on how to lower production costs can be more difficult. Keeping production costs low is crucial when orders so often come down to price.

The 737 production line is where incredible innovation takes place and only private tours are allowed. Read this article if you want to understand how they are modernizing production. It doesn't provide enough details to duplicate the process, but if someone photographed every step in the process, it might be easier for another company to take advantage of the insight.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business...renton-plant-for-737s-big-ramp-up/
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos