Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aviationaware

Iran Orders 118 Airbus Jets - Part 1

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:41 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 7):
Again, nice mix. Must admit, I thought there'd be more A320s, but what the heck, that's a very nice order in anyone's money.
Quoting BoeingVista (Reply 14):
The A320 count seems low.

Note that those orders are new orders, there will probably be a lot of used market business to come still - they need for new short haul planes is much more immediate and much easier to satiate by employing the used market. The need for long haul planes is not quite as immediate, as the Iranian economy has to develop first after the years of sanctions and the network has to be grown organically - don't forget that with all the bilateral treaties involved, developing a long haul airline, especially one that focusses on connections, is very much depending on diplomatic effort as well as an economic one.

Hence the pretty off-looking widebody / narrowbody ratio.

ec99

Quoting jtdieffen (Reply 41):
Impressive deal for Airbus. It will be interesting to watch from a deliveries perspective as this represents a massive expansion of Iran Air in a region with some serious competition. Either way, congrats to all involved

This is a great day for aviation but some realism probably is in order. Tehran says these planes will be delivered within four years.

I do not have time at the office to really dig into the passenger numbers but it looks to me like this at least quadruples Iran Air’s current available total seat count across its fleet. I just can’t figure out where the growth to pay for these planes is coming from. Sanctions will be lifted but it is going to take years to build up infrastructure to support this sort of growth (this is similar to the infrastructure needs in Cuba before capacity can really explode). Finally, god knows how long it will be till IR can fly their A380s or any plane) to the USA.

I think US market is going to be important since IKA is close enough for all the European low cost carries to jump on these routes. Some may disagree but I believe the past 10 years have shown that it is tough to fly a new expensive widebody on 2000 mile routes against a Ryanair 737 or Easyjet A320.

JerseyFlyer

No ATR's so the 100 seat and regional "jet" order is still in play, lets hope that Canada can free Bombadier to start a C-Series sales campaign.

More likely SSJs:

"Back in November, Russia’s Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Moscow might deliver a large batch of Sukhoi Superjet 100 passenger aircraft to Iran by 2020."

http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/1...21/442705/IRAN-RUSSIA-SUKHOI-JETS/

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:42 pm

There is more:

Quote:
In parallel the Minister of Roads and Urban Development, Dr. Abbas Ahmad Akhoundi, has signed a comprehensive co-operation agreement as part of the country’s modernisation of its civil aviation sector, to support the development of air navigation services (ATM), airport and aircraft operations, regulatory harmonization, technical and academic training, maintenance, repair and industrial cooperation.

Not only are Airbus selling new airplanes to Iran, they will also assist the country with airport infrastructure.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

ER757

Congrats to Airbus on securing this huge order - nice mix for sure!

Struggling to see where Boeing long-haul planes would be needed with that mix.

Yeah, same here. The current political climate in the US and the continued bad blood between Iran and the US most likely plays into the size of the Airbus order.

jacobin777

Quoting vwguru (Reply 44):
Considering Trump is not in office, I do not see how he would carry any weight on this discussion. Boeing was never in the running on this one, they just kept Airbus honest and ensured they got a good value for their money. IMO it doesn't matter who wins in the US in November, Iran was never sending any of the recent re payment of funds anywhere near Boeing when it came to an aircraft order. Its going to be a while before any major US-Iran trade becomes normalized.

Of course, but that's not the point. As you stated, Iran isn't going to be sending any monies (yet) towards Boeing/US and a large part of that is due to the fact Congress/U.S. Govt/Presidential Candidates are hostile towards Iran.

Regardless, this thread is about Airbus and IR.  
"Up the Irons!"

DLPMMM

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:44 pm

I am surprised there are no option quantities.

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Quoting ec99 (Reply 51):
I do not have time at the office to really dig into the passenger numbers but it looks to me like this at least quadruples Iran Air’s current available total seat count across its fleet.

It will be more than quadruples. Iran was talking about 300 new airplanes, including some 100 jets from Boeing.

I assume Iran has a good indication about what kind of traffic they can expect. Without any sanctions, airlines will now start flying to the country again.

Quoting ec99 (Reply 51):
Sanctions will be lifted but it is going to take years to build up infrastructure to support this sort of growth (this is similar to the infrastructure needs

Hence Airbus are going to assist building up the infrastructure, maintenance and pilot training.

TC957

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:50 pm

If this is just for IR, then wait what Mahan will order. I suspect they will gobble up the used 340's on the market and also put in a mega order soon.

JerseyFlyer

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:51 pm

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 57):
Airbus are going to assist building up the infrastructure, maintenance and pilot training.

...which are all pre-requisites for being able to absorb all the new airliners

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:54 pm

Quoting TC957 (Reply 58):
If this is just for IR, then wait what Mahan will order. I suspect they will gobble up the used 340's on the market and also put in a mega order soon.

Don't know, but remember Mahan is a private company. Iran Air on the other hand is government owned, an order from Mahan Air would be much smaller.

migair54

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:55 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 46):
Yes, this order is just for Iran Air.

So we can still see a big order from people like Mahan Air, they have a big Airbus fleet with few widebodies to replace and I am sure they will do as soon as they can to get the new ones soon. 32 Airbuses and 2 B747 and 16 BAE 146. So 50 to replace and some for expansion, another 60-70 planes minimum, and I imagine this one will go to Airbus also.

Quoting HALtheAI (Reply 48):
I'd say the most likely suspects for the rumored 20 A380 order are
1) China - to be split among the CHI3
2) SQ - as replacements for the rest of their A380s coming off lease
3) SV - to replace their 747s

it will be great to see them signed to any of them and actually all of them could need the frames, however I don't see 20 planes shared in 3 Chinese airlines, and SV really need to replace the B747 and some b777 soon.

Quoting HALtheAI (Reply 48):
The CEO of TK said just a few days ago that they weren't considering ordering any A380s: WSJ: Turkish Airlines Chief Predicts Growth Despite Terror Attacks

Maybe they say it publically for the price negotiations, TK is getting a huge volume and some routes could work great with A380 due to some restrictions, however they don't have First class any more, so we are talking about 570 to 600 seats with 3 class layout, new economy comfort and not many markets are that big so far, but maybe they forecast they have is bigger than we think.

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:59 pm

12 A380's the program lives.. JL lives! upping the count from the 8 speculated to an order for 12

So it was worth waiting for the wine as it made the negotiations a bit easier, that Leahy guy just pushed in another four whales.

BoeingVista

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:04 pm

Quoting JerseyFlyer (Reply 52):
"Back in November, Russia’s Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Moscow might deliver a large batch of Sukhoi Superjet 100 passenger aircraft to Iran by 2020."

http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/1...JETS/

Somebody posted a link on the other thread(s) showing that Iran has denied they ever ordered SSJ.
BV

mariner

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:12 pm

Quoting BoeingVista (Reply 63):
Somebody posted a link on the other thread(s) showing that Iran has denied they ever ordered SSJ.

I did. Here it is:

http://www.iran-daily.com/News/127791.html

"Iran official denies Superjet deal with Russia

An Iranian official has denied reports that the country had signed contracts to buy Superjet 100 passenger aircraft from Russia."

mariner
aeternum nauta

WIederling

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:13 pm

Considering Trump is not in office, I do not see how he would carry any weight on this discussion.

Look into what Reagan had arranged before he was in office ( sabotaging the then sitting president.)
or Merkels subversions in the run up to the 2002 elections.
Murphy is an optimist

mariner

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:19 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 61):
So we can still see a big order from people like Mahan Air, they have a big Airbus fleet with few widebodies to replace and I am sure they will do as soon as they can to get the new ones soon.

Not to rain on the parade, but I;m not sure that Mahan Air can buy aircraft from either Boeing or Airbus.

Mahan is subject to its own sanctions, for supporting terrorism, and I don't know if they have been lifted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/martinri...ian-aircraft-bonanza/#5194282b1c8a

Boeing Keeps A Low Profile In Iranian Aircraft Bonanza

Despite being Iran’s largest airline, Mahan Air is still subject to terrorism sanctions and so cannot place direct orders with Boeing or Airbus.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Beatyair

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:22 pm

Wow, A380's! I guess they think they have a lot of pent up traveler in Iran.

art

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:24 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 66):
Despite being Iran’s largest airline, Mahan Air is still subject to terrorism sanctions and so cannot place direct orders with Boeing or Airbus.

It's a mystery to me how an airline can be seen as a terrorist threat. Owners on some kind of blacklist?

ALAfly

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:26 pm

Congrats to IR and Airbus.

That is a massive order.

Quoting LH748 (Reply 3):

i would faint too if they order the 747-8I. But what are the chances for IR to order Boeing and what model wirh the order they have placed now?

Just my guess, but when they operating the new fleet I couldi agine they join SkyTeam at a point. Any thoughts even I know its simply to early at this time.

LSZH34

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:26 pm

I believe it now!

Great for the A380 and the -1000!

mariner

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:30 pm

Quoting art (Reply 68):
t's a mystery to me how an airline can be seen as a terrorist threat. Owners on some kind of blacklist?

From Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahan_Air

"On 12 December 2011, the U.S. Department of Treasury announced the designation of Mahan Air as a material and transportation supporter of terrorism "for providing financial, material and technological support to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force (IRGC-QF). Based in Tehran, Mahan Air provides transportation, funds transfers and personnel travel services to the IRGC-QF." [5]

The U.S. has imposed sanctions on Mahan Air three times since 2011 for allegedly shipping arms to the Syrian government; ferrying members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps; and providing transport for the Lebanese militia Hezbollah.[6]"

For those who don't trust Wiki, the sources are given:

http://www.treasury.gov/press-center/press-releases/Pages/tg1322.aspx

"Treasury Designates Iranian Commercial Airline Linked to Iran's Support for Terrorism

The U.S. Department of the Treasury announced today the designation of Iranian commercial airline Mahan Air pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224 for providing financial, material and technological support to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force (IRGC-QF). Based in Tehran, Mahan Air provides transportation, funds transfers and personnel travel services to the IRGC-QF."

mariner
aeternum nauta

Planesmart

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:31 pm

Quoting aviationaware (Reply 50):
Note that those orders are new orders, there will probably be a lot of used market business to come still - they need for new short haul planes is much more immediate and much easier to satiate by employing the used market.
Quoting aviationaware (Reply 50):
don't forget that with all the bilateral treaties involved, developing a long haul airline, especially one that focusses on connections, is very much depending on diplomatic effort as well as an economic one.
Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 53):
Not only are Airbus selling new airplanes to Iran, they will also assist the country with airport infrastructure.

The contract is all embracing, and includes used aircraft, regulatory and diplomatic assistance, finance, infrastructure, ground handling, ATC, training, engineering and much more. A similar (but smaller scale) deal is under negotiation with Cuba (and a few others).

Devilfish

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:32 pm

Quoting BoeingVista (Reply 31):
Quoting NH203 (Reply 29):
I don't think so. But Saudia will need a minimum of 13 A380s now...

This is true, they are not going to want to park their 747's next to Iran Air's A380, claming "It's a classic man" just doesn't was in the ME

Does it follow that Iran wouldn't want an ACJ350 and would need to upsize to the whale?...    ...

After all, the -SP is a classic and its disappearance is a sad but inevitable outcome of IR's order.    .

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 56):
I am surprised there are no option quantities.

Perhaps they're reserving those for these?...    ...

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 57):
including some 100 jets from Boeing

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 62):
So it was worth waiting for the wine as it made the negotiations a bit easier, that Leahy guy just pushed in another four whales.

It could backfire and trigger a reduction as IR could claim JL boozed them up too much...   

On second thought, four extra whales would be way overkill for even the most extravagant VVIP fleet...   

Maybe they'd squeeze in a white-tail 748i or 781 BBJ as a consolation to ease their return to the US? A military package is too far off the realm for contemplation now.

[Edited 2016-01-28 11:19:17]
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

BoeingVista

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:32 pm

Quoting TC957 (Reply 58):

Mahan has been rumoured to have already aquired seven A340-600's they are probably having their oil checked as we speak.

Mahan Is Receiving 7 A340-600 (by yenne09 May 9 2015 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 62):

Yes, another lazy billion (1.4 probably) thown on top of a mega deal.

This should be known as the buffet deal as Iran air took something off of every plate!   far more interesting than 50 of a single model, we never see deals like this not even at airshows.
BV

mariner

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:37 pm

Quoting BoeingVista (Reply 74):
Mahan has been rumoured to have already aquired seven A340-600's they are probably having their oil checked as we speak.

The link inside that OP shows that Mahan Air and others are still subject to sanctions:

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...ifts-sanctions-against-iran-air-co

"But despite the relative relief to Iran's aviation industry, the following Iranian (and foreign) carriers are, however, still subject to restrictive measures owing to their alleged support for the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force (IRGC-QF) as well as various other groups including Hezbollah in Lebanon and Bashar al-Assad's regime in Syria:
- Meraj Air (JI, Tehran Mehrabad)
- Caspian Airlines (IV, Tehran Mehrabad)
- Yas Air (MHD, Tehran Mehrabad);
- Pouya Air Lines (Tehran Mehrabad);
- Mahan Air (W5, Tehran Mehrabad);
- UM Air (UF, Kiev Borispol) (Ukraine, but related to Iran);"

mariner
aeternum nauta

BobMUC

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:46 pm

Congrats to Airbus on this great order!

I think the "low" number of A320c/neos leaves room for an additional Boeing order for 737NG/MAX, but probably no WBs

BoeingVista

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:46 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 75):
The link inside that OP shows that Mahan Air and others are still subject to sanctions:

These are US unilateral sanctions though, as long as the aircraft are physically in a country that has lifted the sanctions and no US companies are involved in the transaction they should be ok to fly them home I would think. Spares may be an issue though.
BV

mariner

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Quoting BoeingVista (Reply 78):
These are US unilateral sanctions though, as long as the aircraft are physically in a country that has lifted the sanctions and no US companies are involved in the transaction they should be ok to fly them home I would think. Spares may be an issue though.

Sure.

The only point is that Mahan cannot order directly from Airbus or Boeing. Iran Air can, at least form Airbus.

mariner
aeternum nauta

nimool

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:51 pm

I Would like to see one of the A380 in retro livery!  
wonder how it'll look!?
Iran Air, we take you there, we take you back!

seahawk

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Which makes no sense at all.

airzona11

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:56 pm

Quoting jacobin777 (Reply 39):
Looks like Boeing will lose out on this one..guess Donald Trump and the other idiots in Congress are happy Boeing will be losing out billions of dollars in revenues/income.

Ah yes, because the current and in power Administration brokered such a favorable deal for America that they got no share of this massive order. Great job!

Now back on topic.

Congrats Airbus, this is the type of order they need, extend current production runs and get much needed future orders into the healthy pipeline.

Curious about the maintenance agreements on these birds. They have developed some great expertise in longevity and with in-house engineering/maintenance. Will they outsource a lot of the maintenance, or setup a regional maintenance operation, ala Delta Atlanta Tech ops for other airlines (frames, engines, components).

scbriml

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:59 pm

Quoting seahawk (Reply 81):

What, a retro liveried A380?   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

TheRedBaron

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm

Holy cow ! such a massive order, congrats Airbus and Iran.

The next 4 years will be hectic with much needed personnel and training, for such a jump in capacity.

Iran must now embark in a multimillion, multiyear PR Honeymoon to make brand awareness and market presense because, as of now who (aside from a enters) knows IR exists as a international carrier....

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

seahawk

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:01 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 83):

No sanctions against Mahan but not against Iran Air.

MadameConcorde

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:03 pm

Quoting LH748 (Reply 3):
12 A380 with a Homa
So, are these all for Iran Air? Struggling to see where Boeing long-haul planes would be needed with that mix.

Last I talked with Iran Air long haul fleet captains (B747SP and B747-200) on fairly recent flights, they wanted to have new Boeing aircraft, namely B777-300ERs to replace the old B747s after they get retired, not Airbus.

Quoting TK787 (Reply 12):
Who would have thought the next 380 customer would be Iran last year ?

It's all about politics.

Still a few weeks ago Iran was considered a rogue nation who wanted to bomb Israel and wipe the Zionist State off the map.

A rather curious U turn if you ask me. Somebody must want to make money and cash in big no matter who the client is.

Quoting BaconButty (Reply 26):
LAX, JFK, LHR, CDG and KUL have been speculated on.

Iran Air already flies to LHR, Orly (not CDG), and KUL.

They flew 12 hours direct flights from Mehrabad airport to JFK with B747-SPs from 1976 until early in November 1979 when the last/final Iran Air flight to JFK was rerouted to Montreal because of the hostage crisis after which there were no more

Quoting jmchevallier (Reply 33):
This is not the end of the story, just Iran Air order list !
Quoting dfwneedsqf (Reply 40):
Great news for Iran Air

They signed an agreement. Let's see what gives.

Considering Trump is not in office

Please, NOT.

I rather Rand Paul in the White House than Donald Trump any day.

Wow!   
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

hohd

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:05 pm

380 is an overkill for Iran, the other aircraft types are fine. There are not that many places which would need 380, they can easily use 350 for LHR or CDG.
The 380 order will come back to haunt them.

amax1977

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:06 pm

Quoting jacobin777 (Reply 39):
Wow! Congrats to Airbus and IR on the HUGE order. I'm most impressed with the -1000XWB and A380 orders!

Looks like Boeing will lose out on this one..guess Donald Trump and the other idiots in Congress are happy Boeing will be losing out billions of dollars in revenues/income.

I guess this is his way of "making America great again".. .

Once again, CONGRATS to Airbus & IR!

Best comments I had read in long time  )))

BoeingVista

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 86):
Last I talked with Iran Air long haul fleet captains (B747SP and B747-200) on fairly recent flights, they wanted to have new Boeing aircraft, namely B777-300ERs to replace the old B747s after they get retired, not Airbus.

I bet they also wanted a BMW but drove home in a Honda. How is this relevent to this thread?

Still a few weeks ago Iran was considered a rogue nation who wanted to bomb Israel and wipe the Zionist State off the map.

Not by most sane people.

Sorry I forgot your rules, a signed contact for Airbus aircraft means nothing but mearly thinking about Boeing aircraft means we should start painting 77W's.
BV

astuteman

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:17 pm

Some people will be choking on their dinner tonight!

More likely cooking up way to turn this into a "no order here" ....   

Quoting EPA001 (Reply 11):
That the A350's are all of the -1000 version is also a nice surprise.

The -1000's journey is just beginning  
The A320 count seems low.

I can only see the A320 order as a beginning.

JL lives!

The devil's work indeed  

Rgds

MadameConcorde

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:27 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 87):
380 is an overkill for Iran

I will believe it when I see it.

Unless they want to turn Kish Island into Pattaya or Phuket and bring A380s full of tourist groups on package tours to the Persian Gulf Island.

Kish Island was the hip place during the Shah's regime coimplete with gambling casinos and fashion shows by French designers who flew in their teams and fashion models.

I am not sure how they will fill the A380s when Tehran, Shiraz and Isfahan are such an easy flight from Dubai with Emirates having several flights a day into a number of Iranian airports.

I say wait and see.

Also, they better upgrade IKIA with proper transport and hotels.

The IKIA taxi desk alone is totally inefficient and taxis are the only existing form of transport to the city aside from tour group busses. There is nothing such as airport busses. Only taxis.

scbriml

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Really?   

I've yet to find a major airline where the captains have ANY say in what planes get purchased. Well, maybe Putin Airlines.

One Iranian politician, not the entire country. The best way to handle that situation is to show Iran they are better off when they cooperate with the rest of the World instead of threatening it.

118 planes from Airbus will 'give'.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

william

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:37 pm

Politically Boeing never had a shot, and as been posted here, I do not believe Iran wanted to spend recently unfrozen funds with an American company (understandable bad blood). This was Airbus all the way, but that's fine, since Airbus's has the product range to handle all of Iran Air's needs. What's really going to be profitable for Airbus is the service deals this order will entail. Along the auto deal, France expertly and swiftly took advantage of new and potential longtime customer. Congrats to France and Airbus.

amax1977

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:43 pm

Congrats to Airbus and IR.

What a shame that Boeing didn't get to even smell this sweet big yummy pie!

tommy1808

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:51 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 87):
The 380 order will come back to haunt them.

Well... 87 posts, took a surprisingly long time for someone to say it.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

nimool

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:55 pm

Quoting seahawk (Reply 81):
Quoting scbriml (Reply 83):
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/6/0/5/0460506.jpg
Iran Air, we take you there, we take you back!

goosebayguy

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:57 pm

Amazing how Iran can order the same number of A380's as BA.

Tancrede

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:02 pm

Strange writing and it is feeling very biaised. I wonder if you would have stated differently if Boeing would have win this deal?

MadameConcorde

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:03 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 92):
118 planes from Airbus will 'give'.

Iran does not have the infrastructure to acomodate the order.

Their goal is to bring foreign tourists into the country, and business people as well.

Their airports are outdated.

Not talking about transport and hotels.

Major improvements are needed.

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:05 pm

Right, but then again the pilots are not the people buying new aircraft.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 99):
Major improvements are needed.

It's all in the press release, the airport and other infrastructure will be upgraded.

[Edited 2016-01-28 12:06:28]