Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PUDFW
Topic Author

ORD Sixth And Final East-west Runway Deal

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:42 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...new-runway-met-20160129-story.html

Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the city's major airlines have struck a deal to build the final runway envisioned in the city's multibillion-dollar modernization of O'Hare International Airport, but new gates that experts agree are key to significant reductions in long-standing flight delays are not part of the pact.

- New Hotels, upgraded Hilton
- Mentions new gates/ new layout configurations for AA, UA but no deal yet

This is a step in the right direction the runway modernization plan needs to finished.

I realize the major hangup is additional domestic gates however, I am disappointed there is no plan for expansion at T5. Its clear there is a significant demand for international flights and its outdated and crowded. Not addressing this now is a clear mistake. No mention of even an A380 gate which now almost a decade after the introduction of the plane...

Chicago wants to be a world class city, we need a world class international terminal. The existing one can be renovated and its possible to add at least 10 more gates with an expansion to the east. Very disappointed there is not a plan in place to do this yet.

stlgph

RE: ORD Sixth And Final East-west Runway Deal

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:02 pm

Quoting PUDFW (Thread starter):
Chicago wants to be a world class city, we need a world class international terminal. The existing one can be renovated and its possible to add at least 10 more gates with an expansion to the east. Very disappointed there is not a plan in place to do this yet.

Because the first one to speak up gets to pay for it.

No one wants to pay for it.

Look at the mess that is the Hudson River rail tunnels.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jayunited

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:02 pm

This small portion of the article is extremely important so I just did a copy and paste of the four paragraphs that are really important and key to getting a deal done.

"When she took the job last June, Evans hinted at changes to the Daley plan by saying that additional gates were needed elsewhere at the airport to accommodate the increased flight capacity created by the construction of new runways in recent years. On Friday she said the prospect of potential gates elsewhere at the airport could entice the two big airlines.

"For the first time Chicago has put a plan on the table that allows them to add gates to their facilities," Evans said. "So this is huge for them. The old plan kind of sent the message that we're going to build gates for somebody else. Of course they opposed that.

"This plan is specifically intended to say to United and American (that) we want you to grow at O'Hare and we intend to give you the real estate to do that," she said.

Evans also said that there would be room for "OALs," or "other airlines," to use some of the new gates the city would like to build. The city will seek their input as it tries to move forward with expanded terminal plans, she added."

I think this new plan has a chance of working because it would give both AA and UA additional gates whereas the old plan was AA and UA help pay for gate that their direct competition will use. I think a compromise can be reach which would have AA and UA pay for their own new facilities or additional gates and the city along with the LLC's would pay for new facilities that those carriers would use and any government funds that the project would secure should be split evenly between AA, UA and the city.

I have long stated the original plan was wrong trying to for AA and UA to pay for additional gates with no guarantee that they would have access to the additional gates. With this new woman Emanuel has in charge of the project I think AA and UA will get on board because they will benefit from the additional gate space as well.

ORD Boy 2

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:55 pm

I bet you that World Gateway plus at least a remote terminal on the West side of the airport with Bus or train service to T1, T2, or T3 will be the immediate deal.

commavia

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:58 pm

Quoting jayunited (Reply 2):
I think this new plan has a chance of working because it would give both AA and UA additional gates whereas the old plan was AA and UA help pay for gate that their direct competition will use. I think a compromise can be reach which would have AA and UA pay for their own new facilities or additional gates and the city along with the LLC's would pay for new facilities that those carriers would use and any government funds that the project would secure should be split evenly between AA, UA and the city.

For sure. The hangup was always going to be that AA and United don't want to pay, or at least don't want to pay that much, for their competitors to add gates and thus add competing flights. This funding quandary has clearly been at the root of the stalemate over additional gates at ORD, and really ORD expansion in general.

I have long stated the original plan was wrong trying to for AA and UA to pay for additional gates with no guarantee that they would have access to the additional gates. With this new woman Emanuel has in charge of the project I think AA and UA will get on board because they will benefit from the additional gate space as well.

Given past experience at ORD, I am not surprised with the trepidation from both AA and United. Nonetheless, it seems as if a deal could be in sight that does, indeed, ultimately lead to more gates for the hub carriers.

I'll be very interested to see what kind of deal, if any, emerges in the next year. Specifically, I am curious where there would be space to put additional gates for either AA or United. I suppose in the case of T3 there is a possibility to add another concourse north of L but that would seem to require enormous infrastructure relocation cost. And as for T1, is there any space to add anything? Or is the City envisioning providing additional gate space for AA and United by building some other terminal, somewhere else, and moving non-hub carriers there to free up space in T2 and T3/L?

airportplan

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:16 pm

There are many things going on in the background that members on this board are not privy to. Many options being explored by the Chicago Department of Aviation, UA, AA and their consultants that have nothing to do with the West Terminal or the World Gateway options. While these options are not completely new Terminals, they do propose new concourses some of which would have their own FIS facilities. Stay tuned.

kaitak

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:25 pm

How long will the new runway be, and where (north or south of the existing ones?)

(Sorry the attached article is subscriber only).

AmricanShamrok

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:43 pm

No mention of even an A380 gate which now almost a decade after the introduction of the plane...

Gate M11 is being reconfigured into an A380-ready gate by Winter 2016/17.

Quoting kaitak (Reply 6):
How long will the new runway be, and where (north or south of the existing ones?)

The new runway will be 9C/27C and located close to 9R/27L. I'm not sure of the exact length but I'm fairly sure it'll be in the 10,000-13,000 foot range.

[Edited 2016-01-30 09:49:45]

kordcj

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:54 pm

This is exciting news, especially the de-icing pad! I'm curious if they do plan to press ahead with world gateway. I'd hope with all the new space to the west, they'd build a new terminal first, then demolish as they go. So many efficiencies could be gained if they took on a DEN like approach to the terminal complex. Ahh well baby steps. Looking forward to seeing the new gate plan.

The new runway will be in between 9L/R. Just north or 9R sort of how 10C is just south of 10L. One article stated 11500 which would make it slightly longer than 10C. It'll also be a design group VI runway.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

kngkyle

Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:07 pm

Quote:

....But she spoke in terms of not only new gates but whole new concourses and said she expects to hammer out that deal by yearend.

The airport has enough demand from carriers for another 2,100 linear feet of terminal (likely enough for several gates), Evans contended. "All of the carriers want more gates. United, American, Spirit, JetBlue. There's no question about it."

2,100 linear feet is about the size of Concourse B in Terminal 1 which has 22 gates.

(Sorry the attached article is subscriber only).

"agreed to construct an 11,245-foot-long east-west runway just north of existing passenger terminals and to make two other fixes much desired by the carriers: construction of a new crossfield taxiway system and of a central de-icing center."

AAplat4life

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:32 pm

I thought that the original plan did give some additional gates to AA and UA. When it was initially proposed, however, we did not have other carriers so eager to expand at ORD. Now things have changed both on the domestic and international fronts. I suspect that Delta may raise some objections, but it may not have a lot of leverage.

Quoting commavia (Reply 4):
I'll be very interested to see what kind of deal, if any, emerges in the next year. Specifically, I am curious where there would be space to put additional gates for either AA or United. I suppose in the case of T3 there is a possibility to add another concourse north of L but that would seem to require enormous infrastructure relocation cost. And as for T1, is there any space to add anything? Or is the City envisioning providing additional gate space for AA and United by building some other terminal, somewhere else, and moving non-hub carriers there to free up space in T2 and T3/L?

The City does expect that there will be infrastructure relocation cost, such as demolishing the heating/cooling building past T3, which is sad to some degree because it is a good example of mid-20th Century Chicago School architecture. That will make room to expand T3, and there is talk of expanding the K concourse and T5 (international).

jayunited

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:45 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 4):
And as for T1, is there any space to add anything? Or is the City envisioning providing additional gate space for AA and United by building some other terminal, somewhere else, and moving non-hub carriers there to free up space in T2 and T3/L?
Quoting AAplat4life (Reply 10):
I thought that the original plan did give some additional gates to AA and UA. When it was initially proposed, however, we did not have other carriers so eager to expand at ORD. Now things have changed both on the domestic and international fronts. I suspect that Delta may raise some objections, but it may not have a lot of leverage.

The original plans under Mayor Daley did call for additional gates however city would not give AA or UA any guarantees that they would have access to those gates but the city wanted both airlines to help pay for the project.
The only 2 carriers that have ever matter since the project was proposed was AA and UA, this project pre-dates any mergers so prior to the NW/DL merger DL was almost a non-factor at ORD and that is not a dig at DL it just truth. As a matter of fact the only carriers that were involved in the project and in negotiations with the city were AA and UA.
Mayor Daley wanted to open up ORD to more competition at AA and UA's expense without giving AA and UA anything in return for their substantial investment and that has always been the problem. Both AA and UA's position on this project has been the same from the beginning they both want and need additional gates at ORD but the only way they will support terminal expansion is if the city of Chicago guarantees them access to more gates. If the city continued to insist that If you had just taken a few moments to read the article or even the 4 paragraphs I copied and paste onto this thread you would have seen that Mayor Emanuel is taking a different approach he is still asking for AA and UA's help to pay for terminal expansion but the difference is both airlines would have guaranteed access to more gates so that they can grow their operations along with all the other carriers at ORD.

jcwr56

Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:02 pm

Quoting jayunited (Reply 11):
As a matter of fact the only carriers that were involved in the project and in negotiations with the city were AA and UA.
Mayor Daley wanted to open up ORD to more competition at AA and UA's expense without giving AA and UA anything in return for their substantial investment and that has always been the problem

Can you quote a source for that because the World GateWay Project also had the Foreign Flags involved, DL, NW and some of the smaller carriers too. Yes, UA/AA were the heavies, but any shuffling of gates and terminals would/could not be done without agreements from the other carriers that have signed long term leases with the city.

These current projects are not UA/AA driven but I'm sure there's been talks with all the players.

One thing I believe we can agree on, it will still be 2-3 years away before these get built.

jayunited

Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:02 am

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 12):
Can you quote a source for that because the World GateWay Project also had the Foreign Flags involved, DL, NW and some of the smaller carriers too. Yes, UA/AA were the heavies, but any shuffling of gates and terminals would/could not be done without agreements from the other carriers that have signed long term leases with the city.

I never said other airlines would not be effect I said only AA and UA were involved in negotiations when when it came to funding the project and they were. DL was a non-factor and NW wasn't even using all the gate they had they were leasing out gates they didn't need to other carriers, and with hubs at both DTW and MSP, the city never even approach NW about funding ORD's World Gateway project. So while the while the world gateway project would have benefited every airline serving ORD the only airlines the city was asking to help fund the project was AA and UA because combined they controlled over 80% of the traffic into/out of ORD.

After doing some research I have to say I was wrong about the original plans. I came across the original plans in which Mayor Daley, the city and both AA and UA did agree in principal on terminal expansion that would have added and additional 32 gates to ORD and both AA and UA would each get 10 additional gates. However once the city released the timeline for the completion of the project both AA and UA balked because the project would have benefited the smaller airlines first in fact 3 years before either AA or UA would reap any benefits.
This proposed timeline is where all the problems started.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...SSUE01/100015031?template=printart

Anyone who has lived in Chicagoland during the Daley administration knows you followed Daley's rules or he could make life difficult. When AA and UA voiced strong opposition to the original plan Daley changed the plan and shut shut them out of any additional gates but he still thought he could force them to help pay for terminal expansion in exchaged for nothing in return. Which is comfirmed by the current article which this thread is based upon.

However after re-reading the current article there is a mistake its also claims the original proposal called for UA and AA to help fund the project without giving them any additional gates because every aviation geek in Chicago remembers this because it made the news Daley trying to force 2 airlines to pay for terminal expansion with nothing in return. And this was business as usual in Chicago but the only reason I think Daley lost this fight was because he was fighting the 2 largest airlines in the U.S. and they had joined forces and successfully blocked the project.

Here again is a copy and paste of part of the current article which explains that it. If you would like I can copy and paste the entire article because I know the Chicago Tribune does require a subscription if you want to access certain articles online.
"When she took the job last June, Evans hinted at changes to the Daley plan by saying that additional gates were needed elsewhere at the airport to accommodate the increased flight capacity created by the construction of new runways in recent years. On Friday she said the prospect of potential gates elsewhere at the airport could entice the two big airlines.

"For the first time Chicago has put a plan on the table that allows them to add gates to their facilities," Evans said. "So this is huge for them. The old plan kind of sent the message that we're going to build gates for somebody else. Of course they opposed that.

"This plan is specifically intended to say to United and American (that) we want you to grow at O'Hare and we intend to give you the real estate to do that," she said."

There are a lot of sources on this topic which I would be more than happy to post but my post would be extremely long.

jcwr56

Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:18 pm

Quoting jayunited (Reply 13):
I never said other airlines would not be effect I said only AA and UA were involved in negotiations when when it came to funding the project and they were. DL was a non-factor and NW wasn't even using all the gate they had they were leasing out gates they didn't need to other carriers, and with hubs at both DTW and MSP, the city never even approach NW about funding ORD's World Gateway project. So while the while the world gateway project would have benefited every airline serving ORD the only airlines the city was asking to help fund the project was AA and UA because combined they controlled over 80% of the traffic into/out of ORD.

Jay, I was around at the time and yes, I can tell you the city also reached out to the other carriers. Most folks wouldn't care if the Tribune reported LH, SK, DL or NW or any number of the carriers that would have their rates and charges increased as well as would have to sign off on it too. But for us local folks, UA and AA are the two names everybody knows so that's what they (the Tribune) went with.

Anyway, that's water under the bridge. The fact is ORD is finally moving forward in an area that needs desperate attention.
The only issue that everyone will want to know is when they will start to build. I would probably surmise Q1 2017 since the agreements will take to the end of this year to hammer out.

AAplat4life

Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:30 pm

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 14):
ay, I was around at the time and yes, I can tell you the city also reached out to the other carriers. Most folks wouldn't care if the Tribune reported LH, SK, DL or NW or any number of the carriers that would have their rates and charges increased as well as would have to sign off on it too. But for us local folks, UA and AA are the two names everybody knows so that's what they (the Tribune) went with.

It is also worth noting that ORD terminal leases expire in 2018 (at least for AA and UA), and the City is in the process of negotiations with them.

Tdan

Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:47 pm

Quoting airportplan (Reply 5):
There are many things going on in the background that members on this board are not privy to. Many options being explored by the Chicago Department of Aviation, UA, AA and their consultants that have nothing to do with the West Terminal or the World Gateway options. While these options are not completely new Terminals, they do propose new concourses some of which would have their own FIS facilities. Stay tuned.

Listen to this guy as he know what he is talking about.

Regarding the specific runway deal, it looks to be a very good and cost effective way to add an additional runway which further improves operations. Regarding terminals, the L gates are the main problem at this point with all of the NK and F9 growth. Will be interesting to see the eventual solution here.

Quoting AAplat4life (Reply 15):

It is also worth noting that ORD terminal leases expire in 2018 (at least for AA and UA), and the City is in the process of negotiations with them.

The 800-lb gorilla is the new use and lease with AA and UA. It should be very good news that the runway was approved and removed from the use and lease negotiations.
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth, a thousand leagues away our land of birth... -Captain Bruce

jcwr56

Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:20 pm

Quoting AAplat4life (Reply 15):

ay, I was around at the time and yes, I can tell you the city also reached out to the other carriers. Most folks wouldn't care if the Tribune reported LH, SK, DL or NW or any number of the carriers that would have their rates and charges increased as well as would have to sign off on it too. But for us local folks, UA and AA are the two names everybody knows so that's what they (the Tribune) went with.

All long term leases expire on May 11th 2018 if I remember correctly. So it's just not UA/AA the city is dealing with.

United787

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:06 pm

Congrats to ORD! Build it and do it fast... With 6 parallel runways, will that be the most of any airport in the world? ATL has 5 and seemingly no room for a 6th. ORD will also retain 2 crosswind runways for a total of 8!

Chicago wants to be a world class city, we need a world class international terminal. The existing one can be renovated

T5 just got all new restaurant options on the gate side of security. I don't think T5 needs a renovation but it does need an expansion.

Quoting Tdan (Reply 16):
The 800-lb gorilla is the new use and lease with AA and UA. It should be very good news that the runway was approved and removed from the use and lease negotiations.

Agreed. Negotiations will be a lot easier now that the issues have been decoupled and the runway deal is done. Glad to hear that Rahm has taken a different approach with AA and UA and confident now a deal will be negotiated for new gates this year. I was hopefully that they were talking but with no news leaking out, was worried that nothing was happening.

jayunited

Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:58 pm

Anyway, that's water under the bridge. The fact is ORD is finally moving forward in an area that needs desperate attention.
The only issue that everyone will want to know is when they will start to build. I would probably surmise Q1 2017 since the agreements will take to the end of this year to hammer out.

I can only hope Rahm will succeed where Daley failed and finally get AA and UA to commit to helping to fund new terminals and expansion of existing ones in exchange for additional gates which both airlines need. And I hope the new deal includes AA(One World) and UA(Star) getting their own separate FIS terminals. Which would free up a tremendous amount of space at T5 during rush hour. And it would save both AA and UA millions of dollars in fuel cost and free up mechanics that are currently busy taxiing aircraft from T5 to domestic terminals or the hangar it would free some of them up to go back to actually fixing the aircraft because you would need such a large team focusing on just moving aircraft around the airport.

commavia

Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:13 pm

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1306738/hold-mayor-emanuel-strikes-deal-american-airlines-new-ohare-gates

Well now we know what at least part of the gate/terminal deal with AA will entail, per the Sun-Times this morning:

- AA adding a total of five gates to 3/L
- With the expansion, AA's total gates at the airport will increase to 71 from the current 66, and the airport's overall total number of gates will increase to 195
- First major expansion of domestic gate capacity since Terminal 1 opened in 1987 (pretty remarkable)
- Total cost estimated at $55-75M, to be paid fully by AA
- Estimated completion 2018

I'm interested to learn more about how, exactly, L can be expanded, and also about whether these five new gates will be mainline-capable or for Eagle.

[Edited 2016-02-06 06:18:05]

ORD Boy 2

Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:28 pm

They will be for Eagle. Interestting announcement.

jcwr56

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:00 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 20):
I'm interested to learn more about how, exactly, L can be expanded, and also about whether these five new gates will be mainline-capable or for Eagle.

American's already rehanging L10 and moving fuel pits around out at the end so don't be surprised to see L12 out there.

Given the location of Air Choice One, moving them could add L14 on the south side. Now with the ULLC and LLC carriers adding their own L11 on the end, that's going to be one packed concourse on the very short term.

commavia

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:05 pm

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 22):
American's already rehanging L10 and moving fuel pits around out at the end so don't be surprised to see L12 out there.

Interesting.

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 22):
Given the location of Air Choice One, moving them could add L14 on the south side. Now with the ULLC and LLC carriers adding their own L11 on the end, that's going to be one packed concourse on the very short term.

Yeah - and as has been discussed before, L is already jam packed at times without any of the above changes, and certainly without the addition of five more gates.

ORD Boy 2

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:17 pm

Now here is the questions.. What does UA and maybe DL get?

Also, where does B6, F9, VX and NK go? NK has talked about expanding at ORD... Do they go to the "West Terminal" or a T6?

And the ultimate dream is new FIS at 1 and 3...

jayunited

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:22 pm

Quoting ORD Boy 2 (Reply 24):
Now here is the questions.. What does UA and maybe DL get?

I've been thinking about this as well. With the new runway (9C 27C) and the extension of (9R 27L) the city intends to demolish runway 14R32L. So my question is could UA potentially build another concourse lets just say concourse D to the Southwest of concourse C while keeping clear of runway 4L22R? Or Should UA try to come to some type of agreement between the city and DL that would move DL to a new terminal which would give UA all of T2 and UA could then demolish, rebuild and expand the E concourse from the ground up so that it would include an FIS facility and be able to handle all of UA's international flights as well as a majority if not all of Star's international flights.

Of course construction of either of these options would have to wait till runway 14R32L is demolished or (B) wait till a new terminal is built to house DL and probably all of the LCC's.

PUDFW
Topic Author

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:25 pm

With the additional five gates, it would be interesting to know if American plans any upgrades in the L concourse along with this. Seems like an opportunity to update the whole concourse otherwise I think you could have a new section which looks different from the rest of it.

As a general point, I am not sure I understand what American is doing with their terminal, they updated the gate desks with the new branding and installed their new carpet scheme in a few gates but left the old dirty carpet in much of the rest of the terminal. It would make sense to finish this and update the chairs (from 1980s) with new ones that have power ports. Anyone know what the plan is?

I think in general if American invested money in T3 with a light renovation/ update it would greatly enhance the space. The bones of T3 are good, and the ORD face (from the 2000s) project for the check in space really made a difference. I wish the secure area would get some attention. The sidewalls still have the old branding, it kind of looks like its been half @ssed. I think United has a plan to update their gate space, they have a few gates with this concept but its not been rolled out other places yet.

jsnww81

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:18 pm

Quoting PUDFW (Reply 26):
The sidewalls still have the old branding, it kind of looks like its been half @ssed.

Agree. I was at ORD in December and it was a very bizarre mix of newly-branded gate podiums and sidewalls/seating from the late 1980s. Even Concourse G - which I would unhesitatingly offer up as the best regional jet terminal in the country - is starting to look a little mismatched. The branding efforts at DFW and LAX seem to be a bit more uniform and are coming along faster.

AmricanShamrok

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:44 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 20):
AA adding a total of five gates to 3/L

I don't understand where they can add gates at 3L. Are they extending the concourse? If so, what impact (if any) would that have on Taxiway A?

United787

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:52 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 28):
I don't understand where they can add gates at 3L. Are they extending the concourse? If so, what impact (if any) would that have on Taxiway A?

They can't go east because they hit taxiway A. I think they have to go north from the main terminal and the east to make an "L" and have single loaded gates on the south side of the expansion but that would be a whole new concourse and that would likely mean the end of the Central Heating & Refrigeration Plant which is a great piece of modern architecture, especially at night.

This is great news, I can wait to see what is in store for UA!!!

I am hoping they close 14R/32L and 4L/22R and build another concourse west of and parallel to C, let's call it D. It could be longer than C and include an FIS for all of UA and Star Alliance!!!

bjorn14

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:02 pm

Its sad that ORD can build 2 runways in a few years but no LON airport can even get one!
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

muralir

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:54 pm

I'm sure more is in store as the lease renewal negotiations get underway. Until the leases expire, my understanding is that the airlines hold a lot of veto power over new construction, but with the leases expiring, the balance of power shifts to the city.

That said, I'm glad the new administration is taking a more conciliatory and cooperative tone with UA and AA. After all is said and done, they are the two hub airlines and we should keep them happy as well.

My own vote for new gates would be for a 'D' concourse beyond terminal 1's 'C' concourse (now that the diagonal runways are decommissioned) with FIS capability and underground access to both terminal 1 and 3, thereby allowing both AA and UA to get FIS capability with new gates, which would potentially allow for terminal 2 to be closed and rebuilt.

But, IMHO, even more important would be to get more common access gates and counters. Every modern airport I've been in in Asia and Europe have this. Indeed, in most of them, *all* counters are common access, with counters allotted per flight schedules. As busy as ORD is now, I still walk by plenty of empty gates at any given time. Now that leases are being renegotiated, I hope the city is able to get UA and AA to allow more common access to improve utilization. That would be a no-cost way to improve gate capacity while allowing the smaller airlines room to expand.

United787

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:11 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 30):

Its sad that ORD can build 2 runways in a few years but no LON airport can even get one!

ORD has built 3 and is starting on the 4th!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos