Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TK787
Topic Author

TK Announces Bogota And Panama

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:06 pm

http://www.kap.gov.tr/bildirim-sorgu...ari/bildirim-detayi.aspx?id=503012

Even though it was rumored before, TK finally announces Bogota and Panama in the future.
It could be as soon as this year when more 77Ws arrive.
IIRC, it will be a triangle route from IST with C49/Y300 77W.
I know few friends will be very happy to be using this route since they live in both Columbia and Turkey, parts of the year.

DolphinAir747

RE: TK Announces Bogota And Panama

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:12 pm

I'll believe it when they sell it. This is what, the fourth time TK has "announced" BOG?

A388

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:13 pm

I hope TK won't follow the route that TP has with their BOG-PTY triangular flights which didn't last very long. In any case, good luck to them of course.

A388

Yakamoz

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Another new planned route is Ivano-Frankivsk in Ukraine.

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 1):

Second time to stock exchange. First one was in Dec 2012.

jfk777

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:34 pm

Does any one know the schedule ?

lightsaber

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:50 pm

Panama would be a spoiler to the EK flight.

5,857 NM for TK vs. 7,463 for EK. A HUGE per flight cost difference.

Lightsaber
3 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Summa767

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:03 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 5):

I would imagine that Panama would be part of a triangular IST-BOG-PTY-IST, so extra costs for TK on that sort of operation. It also makes it somewhat less appealing..
but BOG-IST would most certainly need a stopover given BOG's altitude and climb rate needed. CCS would have been ideal at some point -with more potential for traffic to the Middle East than Colombia -except that things have changed there.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 2):
TK won't follow the route that TP has with their BOG-PTY triangular flights which didn't last very long

Looks like at least for starters it would be triangular  
But we all know what TK can offer in terms of network compared to TP.
This would be testing the waters for TK and when the right equipment comes in the next LH order and the new airport is up and running, we can expect non stops.

sq_ek_freak

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:42 pm

If, and it remains a big IF, Turkish were to start this route, what are the implications of EK's feeder network with Copa given that CM and TK are both Star carriers? In my view a big part of what makes this route viable for EK is CM, without them this route is toast for Emirates I think.
Keep Discovering

A388

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:54 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 7):

You're definitely right about that but I was thinking like how much demand there is from Colombia and Panama to fly this route profitably. I can totally see what you mean that TK is trying to test the waters on this route before expanding to other destinations in that region.

Quoting TK787 (Reply 7):
This would be testing the waters for TK and when the right equipment comes in the next LH order and the new airport is up and running, we can expect non stops.

No matter what equipment there is, BOG will always remain a payload restricted airport because of the airport's altitude.

A388

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:12 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 9):
I was thinking like how much demand there is from Colombia and Panama to fly this route profitably.

I'm sure TK must have done their homework, looked at what TP did wrong and take into consideration the competition on the route.

Few other things to consider:
-There are almost twice as many people living in Istanbul alone than the whole country of Portugal  
-Close to four times more pax use IST compared to LIS.
-Turkish citizens do not need a visa for Columbia or Panama.

3-4 times weekly might do well for TK.

DolphinAir747

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Is LH flying to PTY yet or did they cancel that too?

airevents

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:34 pm

LH is definitely launching PTY at the end of March. PTY is getting such a busy place, it is amazing!

A388

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 10):
3-4 times weekly might do well for TK.

Your points are well taken, I wish them good luck of course.

Quoting airevents (Reply 12):
PTY is getting such a busy place, it is amazing!

Yes, busy indeed. Let's see which ones will survive the PTY route because I don't see all these long haul airlines fly these European routes to/from PTY for long term.

A388

incitatus

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 7):

That statement plays both ways. TK has a very rich set of destinations, but what is the point of offering Panama City to Ulan Bator if pretty much there is not a market?

TP on the other hand could play well in the most important long-haul market from Colombia and Panama, which is Spain. Still the route did not work out. I expect TK to be selling a lot of tickets between BOG/PTY and Western Europe.

Few other things to consider:
-There are almost twice as many people living in Istanbul alone than the whole country of Portugal

However, the per capita income of Portugal is double that of Turkey. So many people in Turkey cannot afford air travel.

In my view, TK has much better chance than TP. TP's viability depends on its long-haul network and loss-making routes don't stick around long. TK on the other hand survives on short-haul and Europe. The Central America route will be just another long-haul route that loses money, no big deal.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

LAX772LR

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Quoting sq_ek_freak (Reply 8):
what are the implications of EK's feeder network with Copa given that CM and TK are both Star carriers?

Probably not much of anything.

CM is basically the AS of Latin America... they'll work with anyone if the price is right.

And always remember, the alliances are just loose marketing agreements:
airlines will always prioritize their own needs, then the needs of immunized partners, then the needs of select strategic partners--- long before they care about the needs of random Star/SkyTeam/OneWorld partners.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Hagic

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:48 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 5):

5,857 NM for TK vs. 7,463 for EK. A HUGE per flight cost difference.

You're forgetting the large detour that EK is forced to make around middle east. The PTY-DXB path flies right over Lebanon, Syria and the entire Iraq. In order to avoid them, IK has to fly over Egypt and Saudi Arabia, adding some additional 500 nm to the 7,463 nm you mention, making their option even worse.

TK has definitely the better grip here. However, what's the market east of IST for South Americans?. Anything west of IST is already well served by LH, AF, AV and IB.
There's only one freedom of the press: The freedom of the survivors - (G. Arciniegas)

DolphinAir747

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:11 pm

Quoting Hagic (Reply 16):
However, what's the market east of IST for South Americans?

South America including BOG has a very large Levantine population though I am not sure how much VFR travel that translates to especially in the current Middle East political climate.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:29 pm

Quoting incitatus (Reply 14):
However, the per capita income of Portugal is double that of Turkey. So many people in Turkey cannot afford air travel.

But when they do, they choose TK  
There is strength in numbers also. Panamanian and Colombian businessmen would love to business in Istanbul in such a dense market with young population, makes distribution simpler. When I first heard that there are more individual Starbucks stores in Istanbul than in Los Angeles I was surprised.

-Edited for more info:
Turkish "Domestic Only" pax number is up 14% to 97Million in 2015. People in Turkey can afford "some" air travel and 50% of it is on TK. Still, Turkish pax probably be a small percentage of the Panama/Bogota route.

[Edited 2016-02-04 15:54:52]

SJOtoLIR

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:13 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 2):
TK won't follow the route that TP has with their BOG-PTY triangular flights which didn't last very long

I don't visualize other path than a triangular route, like the extinct TP LIS-BOG-PTY-LIS.

Quoting A388 (Reply 9):
BOG will always remain a payload restricted airport because of the airport's altitude.

Even AF BOG-CDG is experiencing payload constraints due to the altitude at BOG.

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 11):
Is LH flying to PTY yet or did they cancel that too?

LH FRA-PTY 5x weekly is due to start on March 02nd.

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

ua900

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:22 am

CM and UA/LH have grown apart lately, not much but perhaps enough to give a good opening to TK.

TK and AV should be a nice combo in BOG and TK move to BOG would impact the ME3 more than what is going on at PTY since CM collaborates with the ME3 much easier than AV.

Exciting times for both PTY and BOG, looks like all the construction investment got noticed by quite a few carriers.
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

pipeafcr

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:54 am

Won't believe it till they apply for permission with the Aerocivil. Every year they announce the same intention with their investors but nothing happens. At least they did the right thing to remove CCS for PTY this time. Not a fan of triangulars but if the route does come to be I wish them good luck
Felipe Carrillo

einsteinboricua

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:15 pm

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 6):
CCS would have been ideal at some point -with more potential for traffic to the Middle East than Colombia -except that things have changed there.

I believe BOG and PTY are chosen due to AV and CM, both being *A carriers. They can provide the traffic to support the flight. Whether it'll be feasible and sustainable remains to be seen.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

A388

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 19):
Quoting A388 (Reply 2):TK won't follow the route that TP has with their BOG-PTY triangular flights which didn't last very long
I don't visualize other path than a triangular route, like the extinct TP LIS-BOG-PTY-LIS.

What I meant to say is that I hope the route will survive longer compared to the short lived life of the TP flights. I'm not sure there is enough demand for the TK flights beyond Turkey/Europe. As someone else already pointed out, Colombia and Panama are already very well connected to Europe so TK won't have a real advantage over these European carriers already flying to Panama and Colombia. That only gives TK more potential on other routes to Asia maybe but how big is this demand from and via Colombia and Panama?

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 19):
Quoting A388 (Reply 9): BOG will always remain a payload restricted airport because of the airport's altitude.
Even AF BOG-CDG is experiencing payload constraints due to the altitude at BOG.

Well, that's what you get when flying an aircraft that has four hair dryers as engines (just kidding) 

A388

pipeafcr

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:41 pm

Inside source has let me known that TK flights to BOG are to start May 2, with 3x weekly frequencies. Not sure if it'll be a triangular yet but it's very probable that it will be.

[Edited 2016-02-05 08:44:08]

-Turkish citizens do not need a visa for Columbia or Panama.

Also Colombians and Panamanians don't need visas to enter Turkey, Schengen, or Russia (basically all of Europe)

[Edited 2016-02-05 08:48:41]

[Edited 2016-02-05 08:49:16]
Felipe Carrillo

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:53 pm

Quoting pipeafcr (Reply 24):
that TK flights to BOG are to start May 2, with 3x weekly frequencies.

Well, from "Turkish Aviation Feb 2016" thread, a.net member "tk105" posted this:

"I heard a rumor that recently announced IST-BOG-PTY-IST will start in May. Is it May 2016 or 2017? From another threat, I remember that due to ongoing renovations at PTY, TK prefers to wait till 2017 when upgrades to PTY Terminal will be ready. Is it still the case?"

Rafabozzolla

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:21 am

Turkish citizens do not need a visa for Columbia or Panama.

It´s not Columbia, it´s Colombia!

Aeroflot777

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:40 am

Quoting TK787 (Thread starter):
since they live in both Columbia and Turkey
Turkish citizens do not need a visa for Columbia or Panama.

Colombia is the name of the country.

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:05 pm

Quoting Rafabozzolla (Reply 26):
It´s not Columbia, it´s Colombia!
Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 27):
Colombia is the name of the country.

Thanks for correcting, it is a typo.

RCS763AV

Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:03 pm

We'll see. They haven't even applied with Aerocivil, the colombian aviation authority. The application process is done via a public hearing which is carried out around every two months where all of the airlines submit their aplications. These are reviewed by Aerocivil for a couple of weeks and either granted or not. So a May 2016 launch date seems a bit on top of everything.

Then again, TK has announced this officially two times and on colombian media at least 6. Is this their way of advertising themselves?

Also, I don't believe as much in the BOG-PTY triangle routing. Look at the disaster TP was (granted, this was combined with terrible marketing, no codeshares with AV or CM at the start and a different catchement with much more competition, and really 0 planning or effort from TP to sell the route).

Quoting A388 (Reply 23):
That only gives TK more potential on other routes to Asia maybe but how big is this demand from and via Colombia and Panama?

I think that with the right fares people will connect in IST for some european destinations (maybe not Spain, France and the UK but Central, Eastern Europe and Russia). Also, there is a solid and growing demand of flights to Asia from Colombia. Korean, Indian, and Chinese companies are thriving in our market, and the Japanese have already established themselves. Colombian companies are also starting to export goods to the asian markets.

A388

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:13 pm

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 29):
Also, there is a solid and growing demand of flights to Asia from Colombia. Korean, Indian, and Chinese companies are thriving in our market, and the Japanese have already established themselves.

I know that but big is this growing now really? From 50 to 70 passengers going to destinations outside Europe like Asia?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great these airlines start such routes but I find these routes to be starting too soon and resulting in cancellation of the route because it was started to soon. Outside of Brazil, Chile and maybe Argentina too I only see Miami as a market that has decent potential for Asian demand. Maybe it's just me I don't know.

A388

pipeafcr

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:39 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 30):
Outside of Brazil, Chile and maybe Argentina too I only see Miami as a market that has decent potential for Asian demand. Maybe it's just me I don't know.

It's definitely just you. The market size between Chile/Argentina and Asia is just the same, or if not less, than between Colombia and Asia. Don't underestimate the Colombian market, there is always room for more flights and not just to/from BOG. I say its perfect timing for TK to start flights to Colombia
Felipe Carrillo

lightsaber

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:13 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 15):
airlines will always prioritize their own needs, then the needs of immunized partners, then the needs of select strategic partners--- long before they care about the needs of random Star/SkyTeam/OneWorld partners.

100% agree. Each airline makes each decision on money for them.

additional 500 nm to the 7,463 nm you mention, making their option even worse.

Yes, worse than my great circle distances.
Only emphasizing my point. Advantage TK.

TK has definitely the better grip here. However, what's the market east of IST for South Americans?. Anything west of IST is already well served by LH, AF, AV and IB.

I disagree due to the extreme economic growth since the 1980s when the Nimbys frooze the EU3 hubs. While MAD has room to grow, they lack the network to serve the east. Bridge hubbing is bad enough. But triple hubbing? Premium travelers want to spend less time away from family.

The next 3 billion are scrambling to enter the middle class. The EU3 are not focused on the growth to serve their potentual customer needs. Thus TK and EK will compete for those customers.

Every prediction I've read has the Global middle class growing by 1.25 to 1.5 billion over 12 to 15 years. Those customers will be in Asia, South America and Africa. Thus more connections and the fewest stops wins the premium passengers who skipped buying the business jet.

Lightsaber
3 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

A388

Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:50 am

Quoting pipeafcr (Reply 31):
It's definitely just you.

I really hope so and as I said before I think it's great to see these airlines starting these flights so I wish them well.

A388

Summa767

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:35 am

Quoting pipeafcr (Reply 31):
It's definitely just you. The market size between Chile/Argentina and Asia is just the same, or if not less, than between Colombia and Asia

Mmm. I would very much like to see figures that show this. I would be grateful if you could provide them, as the statement is very hard to believe..

A388

Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:41 pm

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 34):
Mmm. I would very much like to see figures that show this. I would be grateful if you could provide them, as the statement is very hard to believe..

Yes, I agree with you when I look at the nonstop flights to Australia and New Zealand from Argentina and Chile but as I don't know how well these routes perform I can't judge on them. Brazil for sure should definitely have a much bigger Asian market when looking at all the Asian airlines flying to Sao Paolo. When looking at Brazil I definitely don't see this as being "just me"  

In the end as I already said, I do wish all these airlines well on these new routes to Colombia and Panama.

A388

pipeafcr

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:46 pm

It's official, Colombia's Aerocivil expedited the request from Turkish airlines and has approved the following:

4x weekly IST-PTY-BOG-IST on A332 and B777 aircraft to start on May 2. Time schedule is yet to be released by the airline
Felipe Carrillo

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:04 pm

Well, I guess a rumor no more 
I wonder if it starts with 332 and goes to 77W if they need the extra capacity. C49/Y300 a lot of seats to fill on the 77W, compared to A332 with C22/Y228.

factsonly

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:41 am

Quoting pipeafcr (Reply 36):
4x weekly IST-PTY-BOG-IST on A332 and B777 aircraft to start on May 2.

Surely this must be the other way round:

- IST-BOG-PTY-IST

or TK is able to get unrivaled performance out of its aircraft.

codeshare flights on AVIANCA are available on TK website:

Flight TK8465 - Operated by AVIANCA
Aircraft Type Airbus Industrie A330

Departure
London , Heathrow (LHR) - Terminal 2
Saturday 28 May 2016 22:40

Arrival
Bogota , El Dorado International (BOG) - Terminal 1
Sunday 29 May 2016 04:05

Duration 11h25

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:25 pm

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 1):
I'll believe it when they sell it
Quoting sq_ek_freak (Reply 8):
If, and it remains a big IF, Turkish were to start this route
Quoting pipeafcr (Reply 21):
Won't believe it till they apply for permission with the Aerocivil.
Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 29):
Then again, TK has announced this officially two times and on colombian media at least 6. Is this their way of advertising themselves?

from Turkish Aviation thread, looks like with a 332; starting May 4th.
"PTY and BOG available for booking.

A332 - WeFrSu
TK175 IST-BOG 0210-0800
TK175 BOG-PTY 0930-1100
TK175 PTY-IST 1230-1025+1

mict

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:34 pm

Inaugural flight to be operated by a 77W.

Avianca

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:58 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 39):
A332 - WeFrSu
TK175 IST-BOG 0210-0800
TK175 BOG-PTY 0930-1100
TK175 PTY-IST 1230-1025+1

very interesting schedule!
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Hagic

Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:25 am

Again, what's the rationale behind this?

If I'm to fly to ANY destination west of IST, that is, the entire European continent (West, Central and Eastern Europe, the Baltic states and Scandinavia) even European Russia and anywhere in Africa, AV, LH and AF already offer:

- Direct and (daily) flights through MAD, LHR, FRA and CDG with hundreds of connecting flights anywhere, on the most direct route.
- No stop at PTY is needed (with a second stop at IST for non O/D traffic, the most likely scenario).
- AV and LH are already Star Alliance

If competition is the issue here, what BOG really needs is KL (AMS non-stop both ways) or AZ (either MXP or FCO or both).

[Edited 2016-02-24 17:27:36]
There's only one freedom of the press: The freedom of the survivors - (G. Arciniegas)

pipeafcr

Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:28 am

Quoting Hagic (Reply 42):
Again, what's the rationale behind this?

If I'm to fly to ANY destination west of IST, that is, the entire European continent (West, Central and Eastern Europe, the Baltic states and Scandinavia) even European Russia and anywhere in Africa, AV, LH and AF already offer:

Well what's the rationale behind TK flying to Pearson if AC, AF and LH already fly between Europe and Toronto?
Felipe Carrillo

Hagic

Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:51 am

Quoting pipeafcr (Reply 43):
Well what's the rationale behind TK flying to Pearson if AC, AF and LH already fly between Europe and Toronto?

What's the O/D traffic between Canada and Turkey compared to an eventual O/D traffic Colombia-Turkey (and with a stop in PTY to boot)?

Josh32121

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:10 am

Quoting pipeafcr (Reply 43):

YYZ's a much bigger O&D market with a lot of demand beyond IST (middle east and India, etc.), eh? Doesn't sound like rocket science to me.
ATLien

incitatus

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:49 am

The airlines you mentioned do not offer the fares TK is going to be offering. That is the advantage.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

LAX772LR

Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:12 am

Quoting pipeafcr (Reply 36):
4x weekly IST-PTY-BOG-IST on A332 and B777 aircraft to start on May 2.

Can't be. Attempting to fly BOG-IST completely invalidates the point of making it a triangle route.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

factsonly

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:51 am

If competition is the issue here, what BOG really needs is KL (AMS non-stop both ways)

KLM already flies AMS-BOG 3x/week, but due to B772 performance returns from BOG via Cali to AMS.

KLM was planning to raise AMS-BOG frequency to 4x/week in S16, but has cancelled the additional frequency as the aircraft could apparently make more money elsewhere now TK is starting this route.

So competition TO BOG will be intense, and with EK and TK competition FROM PTY will also be intense.

Wishing TK lots of success, hoping things go better than with TP's triangle route.

TK105

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:24 am

Quoting factsonly (Reply 48):

It is very logical for TK to start this route 3w and using an A332. Turkey O&D and natural market of TK (Levant, Iran and South-East Europe) is enought to fill this capacity. I'm sure that this route will be succesful and mature with in 2 years by becoming a daily operation.
The future is in the skies.