Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

TFFIP
Topic Author

BA Icc Crew Question

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:15 pm

Is there still a base of BA Singaporean cabin crew?

Also, do all flights to India have some Indian based crew or just certain ones.

ajs123uk

RE: BA Icc Crew Question

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:32 pm

Unfortunately the Singapore base is closing this year, June or July time, and there are always Indian based crew on the India flights working alongside the London based crew.

tonystan

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:37 pm

The odd time if there's been some disruption or sickness amongst crew you may find the odd flight without ICCs but it's the exception rather than the rule.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

GSTBA

Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:14 am

BA has ICC based at the following Indian airports : BLR, BOM, DEL and MAA. BA's flights to HYD are operated by BOM based ICC''s.

BA also currently have ICC bases in BAH, CAI, EZE, GRU, HKG, MEX, NRT & SIN, As previously mentioned BA are closing there SIN base in June or July this year. BA will open two new bases in PEK and PVG around the same time as the SIN base closes.

smi0006

Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:52 am

Quoting ajs123uk (Reply 1):

Unfortunately the Singapore base is closing this year, June or July time, and there are always Indian based crew on the India flights working alongside the London based crew.

That's a shame, why are they close the base? Did SIN crew ever go down to SYD as well?

Quoting GSTBA (Reply 3):
BA also currently have ICC bases in BAH, CAI, EZE, GRU, HKG, MEX, NRT & SIN

How big are these bases? 100 crew? Are they managed out of LHR? Sort of takes you back to the old glamour days of multiple crew bases. Does recruitment occur often, or are they all senior bases where everyone is on a good gig and doesn't want to leave?

GSTBA

Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:23 am

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 4):
That's a shame, why are they close the base? Did SIN crew ever go down to SYD as well?

Yes they did used to operate the flight to SYD at one point. The SIN based crew currently operate BA's flights to CTU, PEK and PVG. Trips can range from 5 to 12 days in length, operating trips such as SIN-LHR-PEK-LHR-SIN

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 4):
How big are these bases? 100 crew? Are they managed out of LHR? Sort of takes you back to the old glamour days of multiple crew bases. Does recruitment occur often, or are they all senior bases where everyone is on a good gig and doesn't want to leave?

The bases each have either a base manager or senior crew members who take care of the running of a base. I believe that there is one manager in LHR in overall charge of all the bases. BOM is currently the largest ICC base. I don't think there are many bases that currently have as many as 100 crew, maybe between 20 and 60.

Recruitment for bases in BOM and DEL is currently ongoing. BA have also just completed the recruitment process for there new bases in PEK and PVG due to open later this year

readytotaxi

Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:18 am

No need for a base in North America ?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

FCAFLYBOY

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:39 am

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 6):
No need for a base in North America ?

Why would BA need a base in North America? We largely speak the same language

bastew

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:11 am

BA said that the reason they closed the SIN base was due to the fact that there was no need for Mandarin speakers on LHR-SIN-SYD as the overwhelming majority of the passengers spoke english. However the SIN base also crewed LHR-PEK, LHR-PVG and LHR-CTU. BA insinuated that these routes be better served by China based crew as they will offer a more 'bespoke' service to Chinese customers and are more in tune with the cultural niceties. The reality is, most of the SIN base were on old contracts and pay scales and the new chinese bases are on new low cost contracts. = £££ saved. Sad for the SIN base.

TFFIP
Topic Author

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:20 am

I'm not Chinese but I was born in Singapore and speak Mandarin which is pretty rare for non Chinese and some of the Chinese in Singapore don't speak it with the same fluency as say people from Bejing. Of course the BA crew do, they were chosen for it but

Quoting bastew (Reply 8):
no need for Mandarin speakers on LHR-SIN-SYD as the overwhelming majority of the passengers spoke english

has probably been the true case since since August 1965!!

I think BA hired a local group of Chinese, Korean and Japanese speakers for the mix fleet groups, but I guess
they are pretty much just mixed into the general scheme of the fleet.

Didn't realize Indian bases were so extensive. Nice to know. Thanks for all the feedback to my question!

[Edited 2016-02-07 03:29:51]

thegoldenargosy

Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:18 pm

What does ICC stand for?

TFFIP
Topic Author

Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:51 pm

Quoting thegoldenargosy (Reply 10):
What does ICC stand for?

International Cabin Crew - crew based in (cities mentioned above) who are nationals and speak the language.

GSTBA

Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:53 pm

Quoting TFFIP (Reply 9):
I think BA hired a local group of Chinese, Korean and Japanese speakers for the mix fleet groups, but I guess
they are pretty much just mixed into the general scheme of the fleet.

You are correct that BA have in the last few years recruited UK based Korean and Japanese speakers to fly as part of the mixed fleet operation to ICN and HND.

FYI ICC crew are also known as OCC (Overseas Cabin Crew) or STC (Singapore Temporary Crew) dependent on base. OCC are CAI based crew who have in recent years been recruited to operate as part of the Mixed Fleet operation and are on similar terms and conditions as mixed fleet crew.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos