Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

crownvic
Topic Author

Bangkok Airport Third Runway?

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:14 pm

I just got done experiencing a few days at Suvarnabhumi Airport and was quite impressed with how busy it was. That being said, this fairly young airport that is less than 10 years old, is already at over-capacity. Looking at satellite images, there definitely appears to be a third runway and taxiway "ghost" on the western side of the airport parcel, yet there is nothing about this runway existing or being added. Was this a construction blunder that was abandoned for some reason or was there a change in plans after the runway and taxiways were started? I have tried to find some info about this and cannot locate anything about it. There must be a story behind it, so please join in!

anstar

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:20 pm

They might need some more terminal capacity - but I don't think they need a third runway just yet??

JHwk

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:30 pm

There are four runways in the master plan, although with the housing having been built right up to the airport's property line it is unlikely politically. There was going to be a mid-field terminal plus a duplicate of the main terminal at the south end of the airport. The original design was intended for 45MAP, the midfield would bring it to 65MAP, and I think the final phase topped out at 100MAP.

They are running at ~55MAP now, so they definitely are short on terminal capacity.

migair54

Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:17 pm

For sure they need more capacity, I went there in November and I did not remember to see the airport so crowded before, specially with Chinese pax, it was crazy, so many flights, huge groups of chinese pax moving around the airport.

Ironically the only airline that seems not make a good use of the airport is TG, they are not doing good at all.

Quoting JHwk (Reply 2):
There are four runways in the master plan, although with the housing having been built right up to the airport's property line it is unlikely politically. There was going to be a mid-field terminal plus a duplicate of the main terminal at the south end of the airport. The original design was intended for 45MAP, the midfield would bring it to 65MAP, and I think the final phase topped out at 100MAP.

The space for the runways is more than enough, actually the third runway was in process to the west, close to the nearest houses and to there is plenty of space, same for terminal, where you said, south is perfect, between the runways.

https://www.google.co.tz/maps/place/Aeropuerto+Internacional+Suvarnabhumi/@13.6781018,100.7340697,7514m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x120d19554f157a07!6m1!1e1?hl=es

thekorean

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:43 pm

Any chance they can move LCC ops, all, to Don Mueang?

crownvic
Topic Author

RE: Bangkok Airport Third Runway?

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:33 am

Quoting migair54 (Reply 3):
The space for the runways is more than enough, actually the third runway was in process to the west, close to the nearest houses and to there is plenty of space, same for terminal, where you said, south is perfect, between the runways.

So, that is where my question is. Wiki has nothing on this third runway and there seems to be no information on Google. Was this third runway in the original plan and was scrapped? Looks like a lot of work had been done already. Did somebody determine it was too close to the adjacent housing? Just can't seem to find any information about a third runway, that is showing on the satelite map, but seems to be non-existent in regards to even existing.

migair54

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:08 am

Quoting crownvic (Reply 5):
So, that is where my question is. Wiki has nothing on this third runway and there seems to be no information on Google. Was this third runway in the original plan and was scrapped? Looks like a lot of work had been done already. Did somebody determine it was too close to the adjacent housing? Just can't seem to find any information about a third runway, that is showing on the satelite map, but seems to be non-existent in regards to even existing.

Maybe they start the construction to block that space and avoid future issues, I don't know how's political situation now in Thailand but maybe a few years ago after they started they shift priorities to some other areas, or even to recover the other Bangkok airport from the huge floods it suffered.

The expansion of the whole airport was suppose to finish by 2017, increasing the capacity to 80M, I think this project must have been stopped due to political issue or corruption investigation.

Thai77w

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:27 am

Work was started on the 3rd runway but halted, as they decided building the mid field sat terminal was a higher priority.
That too has been delayed due to Budget cuts, but should be restarted this year. There is plans of the works etc available, if you google Airports of Thailand Suvarnabhumi master plan you should get a link to a few articles.

99% of LCC is already at DMK so it isn't the issue.
Aircraft types I've been on: PA31,Q300,AT75,AT76,717,733,738,739ER,763,772,77E,773,77W,788,789,744,319,320,332,333,346,359,380

christao17

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:18 am

Additionally, it has been reported in local news that in order to build the full-length third runway, additional environmental impact assessments need to be conducted. The AOT (operator of the airport) was trying for a compromise, a shorter runway which would not need the EIA, but the courts ruled that they couldn't do that. My understanding at this point is that they are going back for an EIA for the full-length airport.

As a side note, when the airport was still under construction, I was riding my bicycle out there and realized eventually that I was riding on the packed and leveled earthworks for the third runway.
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

crownvic
Topic Author

Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:49 pm

Quoting thai77w (Reply 7):
Work was started on the 3rd runway but halted, as they decided building the mid field sat terminal was a higher priority.
That too has been delayed due to Budget cuts, but should be restarted this year. There is plans of the works etc available, if you google Airports of Thailand Suvarnabhumi master plan you should get a link to a few articles.

I'll try your search method and see what comes up as my Google search revealed nothing on this thrird runway. It is rather apparent, the current political situation in Thailand is showing instability and is affecting the future expansion plans. Thanks for your help.

JHwk

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:06 am

Quoting crownvic (Reply 5):
Was this third runway in the original plan and was scrapped? Looks like a lot of work had been done already. Did somebody determine it was too close to the adjacent housing?

The third (and fourth) runways were not needed until the midfield concourse was built. Politically I think the intent was to start the third runway and midfield concourse shortly after the airport opened; had Don Muang not been left open it would have been required fairly soon after. (Don Muang closing was originally one of the World Bank/IMF funding requirements.)

The earthworks for the third might have started as part of the process on moving the dirt from pre-loading the first two runways, not sure on that-- but the runways were supposed to be loaded for 10 years prior to final ground preparation to accelerate settling.

Quoting christao17 (Reply 8):
Additionally, it has been reported in local news that in order to build the full-length third runway, additional environmental impact assessments need to be conducted.

Funny, I would have thought the EIR from the 60's would still be good.  

EK413

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:07 am

Thought I'd share an aerial image to highlight the area in question  

The ghost runway is visible to the left...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

PatrickZ80

Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:22 pm

But isn't that too close to the existing 19R/01L runway? I know at LGW there are two runways as well, but only one can be used because they're too close to each other.

BKK is indeed too small for the amount of traffic it currently handles. Why do you think they reopened DMK? Actually I'm surprised Bangkok doesn't have a third airport yet. Even a smal airport would help to decrease the amount of traffic at BKK and DMK. UTP would be the closest I think, but still a long way from Bangkok.

dank

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:18 pm

Quoting PatrickZ80 (Reply 12):

But isn't that too close to the existing 19R/01L runway? I know at LGW there are two runways as well, but only one can be used because they're too close to each other.

The fact that there is a "ghost" taxiway between the two potential runways suggests to me that there's enough separation, especially with the offset.

lawair

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:25 pm

The separation is over 1000 ft, which based on what I can tell, is greater than the distance between atl and lax's parallel runways

teme82

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:42 pm

Quick look at the area with Google Earth the distance between the center lines are around 400m. Is that enough for parallel operations?
Flying high and low

CARST

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:27 am

Quoting teme82 (Reply 15):

Yes. 1000 ft are required AFAIK.

reality

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:09 am

More like 4000+ ft. if you want to have simultaneous landings and takeoffs in fog and rain. At least that is the problem at
SFO where the runways are only 750 ft apart. This is the reason the airport is so delay prone.

JHwk

Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:20 am

ctually I'm surprised Bangkok doesn't have a third airport yet.

It took Bangkok nearly 50 years to get this one built. Another is a very long time away. Suvarnabhumi will support Bangkok until it is under water.

Don Muang was reopened very shortly after closing due to the pavement cracking and general resistance from LCCs-- but mainly for politics.

qfvhoqa

Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:59 am

UTP would be the closest I think, but still a long way from Bangkok.

UTP is expanding to become the third "Bangkok area" airport. Its proximity to Pattaya would attract charter/leisure flights from Russia & China, slightly easing peak pressure at BKK. But it will not serve the central Bangkok area well, so I can't see too much traffic moving there.

777Jet

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:03 am

I must say, having lived in Bangkok at the time BKK opened, I was surprised at how few gates there were for an airport that was supposed to handle the numbers they were going on about. The shape of the terminal / wings were not the most efficient for maximizing how many aircraft can park at gates either. Having said that, at least there is plenty of land to the south of the current terminal / satellite area - enough land to basically build a clone of the current facility...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

hz747300

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:08 am

There's room, and by the time both the new terminal and runway are built, both will be needed. I was there yesterday, and it was a zoo, there was people everywhere. I realise it was the last day of the Chinese New Year holiday, but it was amazingly crowded this time. I don't know what their revenue is, but the shops were full and restaurants bursting at the seams.

Hope it moves forward quickly!
Keep on truckin'...

teme82

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:47 pm

Quoting CARST (Reply 16):
Yes. 1000 ft are required AFAIK.

Thanks!

Bu the looks of it the ghost runway could be 3.7 km long. I think that would be enough for the majority of the plane types to land while others take of from the 1L (C).
Flying high and low

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos