Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

enilria
Topic Author

Somali Bomber Was Targeting Turkish Airlines

Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:14 am

I know this is being talked about at the bottom of the Daallo thread, but I think nobody will see it there and it brings another airline into the situation.

"That particular passenger (who was behind the blast) boarded the aircraft on a Turkish Airlines boarding pass and was on the list for the Turkish Airlines manifest," Yassin told Reuters news agency.

http://news.airwise.com/story/somali...mber-meant-to-be-on-turkish-flight

PEK777

Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:25 am

Somalia has airplanes?

mham001

Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:14 am

Quoting PEK777 (Reply 3):
Somalia has airplanes?

That's what I thought too. A little more clear to say the person with the bomb was targeting ...

factsonly

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:43 am

Turkish Airlines spokesman Yahya Ustun confirmed the carrier had cancelled a flight to Mogadishu last week due to bad weather and said the company will not make any further comment.

Yassin said Daallo picked up the 70 stranded Turkish Airlines passengers to fly them to Djibouti, including the suicide bomber. In total, the flight had 74 passengers.

If 70 TK passengers were stranded in Mogadishu due to a cancellation of the TK flight, that leaves 4 passengers for Daallo airlines themselves.

CARST

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:03 am

Quoting factsonly (Reply 5):
If 70 TK passengers were stranded in Mogadishu due to a cancellation of the TK flight, that leaves 4 passengers for Daallo airlines themselves.

You know, pax don't pay enough, especially in Somalia. Weapon traders pay more, so filling four seats was enough for Dallo initially...

ua900

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:15 am

Incredibly lucky for TK. As for Daallo, in spite of the defiant rhetoric a la "we'll keep flying there no matter what", the question might become what they want to fly there with since it seems this was their only remaining A321. Maybe back to AN-24s, it's not a bad plane and seems to match demand capacity-wise.

The lesson for Somalia might be to double screen wheelchair passengers with laptops. Or improve the Tarmac and airport security in general, sounds like an ecclectic place to fly into:

"The security is zero," pilot Vlatko Vodopivec told AP.

"When we park (the plane) there, some 20 to 30 people come to the tarmac," said Vodopivec, a veteran pilot who has made numerous flights to the airport. "No one has a badge or those yellow vests. They enter and leave the plane, and no one knows who is who ... They can put anything inside when passengers leave the aircraft."

"You can land at the airport only from the seaside," he said. "On the other side of the runway is the city. Bigger planes don't land over the city because of security concerns. Some planes landed with bullet holes in their fuselage."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...E=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

wing

Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:15 am

Turkish Airlines has its own security when the airplane arrives.Turkish special forces traines local armed forces for a very long time and a regiment of Turkish Special Army force is based in Mogadishu.Anytime THY airplane lands the speceial trained crew with dogs secure around the airplane and search the airplane and the passengers before boarding.Still its lucky for THY it didnt happen on board.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

CrimsonNL

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:20 am

I've always wondered what kinds of crew are manning these TK flights. I can imagine they are payed a hefty premium for exposing themselves to the danger of flying to Somalia.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

TurkishWings

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:41 am

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 12):

I've always wondered what kinds of crew are manning these TK flights. I can imagine they are payed a hefty premium for exposing themselves to the danger of flying to Somalia.

Martijn

No dedicated crew. Many just don't turn up for the flight (as is the case for many African flights) so they just pick people who are on stand-by.

To my best knowledge, the crew stays in JIB. The next crew then does JIB-MGQ-JIB-IST. Quite a big day for the crew.

P.S: Can someone please correct the title? Thank you...
Coffee - Tea or Me?

AirPacific747

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:12 pm

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 12):
always wondered what kinds of crew are manning these TK flights. I can imagine they are payed a hefty premium for exposing themselves to the danger of flying to Somalia.

No they are not. They could easily be expat pilots as TK employs a lot of expat pilots. And they just get the standard salary.

bjorn14

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:38 pm

Was the bomber the guy who got sucked out of the airplane?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

shanxz

Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:07 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 15):

Indeed he was...
Airlines are in the service business, not transport. Brand matters...

bjorn14

Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Quoting shanxz (Reply 16):

Thanks...poetic justice.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Toni_

RE: Somali Bomber Was Targeting Turkish Airlines

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:47 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 5):
The lesson for Somalia might be to double screen wheelchair passengers with laptops. Or improve the Tarmac and airport security in general, sounds like an ecclectic place to fly into:

They can improve the screening, but with Somalia being one of the most corrupt countries on the planet, it still leaves me with serious doubts concerning the airside security. The statement of the pilot about people without badges and vests strolling around the aircraft makes me feel very uneasy.

Quoting wing (Reply 7):
Turkish Airlines has its own security when the airplane arrives.Turkish special forces traines local armed forces for a very long time and a regiment of Turkish Special Army force is based in Mogadishu.Anytime THY airplane lands the speceial trained crew with dogs secure around the airplane and search the airplane and the passengers before boarding.Still its lucky for THY it didnt happen on board.

Do they have these special forces at other African airports too?

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 11):
No dedicated crew. Many just don't turn up for the flight (as is the case for many African flights) so they just pick people who are on stand-by.

Bad news travels fast in a company, and I wouldn't be surprised if TK crews were pulling all sorts of tricks and stunts to get out of this particular flight.

nitepilot79

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:29 am

Quoting shanxz (Reply 11):
Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 15):

Indeed he was...
Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 12):

Quoting shanxz (Reply 16):

Thanks...poetic justice.

Right??? I just hope he was alive and conscious for the fall. But that metal looks pretty torn up, so I'd imagine he was too. Good. But even better if he was "around" for the drop.

Flyingsottsman

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:23 am

Good !!!! Another oxygen thief terrorist mother***ker going to hell.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos