jetpixx
Topic Author

How Is The New Eastern Airlines Doing?

Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:39 am

I know they do the charter flights for the Florida Panthers, but I am curious if they're moving along toward becoming a regularly scheduled carrier, if they're making money, losing money...has anyone flown on them?

I was excited to see them return, as were many, but after a lot of early pomp and circumstance it seems they're going along quietly without a lot of news. Hey, they made it much longer than PeoplExpress!
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LGA, M57, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

EA CO AS

RE: How Is The New Eastern Airlines Doing?

Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:50 am

Quoting jetpixx (Thread starter):
I am curious if they're moving along toward becoming a regularly scheduled carrier

EA now has 5 aircraft - 4 738s and 1 73G - the most recent 738 with the Boeing Sky Interior. They met with Boeing recently regarding aircraft configuration options on their 737MAX orders.

Their charter business is going well (ferrying the Florida Panthers and Bernie Sanders, among others) and they've partnered with Miami-Dade College to create a "workforce pipeline" from their school of aviation.

So far, so good!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

N202PA

Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:06 am

Congrats to the new EA, hope they can start scheduled service as planned!

Are they still in line to receive their order of MRJ's when they (eventually) are ready?

dbo861

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:32 am

When are they supposed to begin scheduled passenger operations?

UA444

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:58 am

Are there new build 737-800s they're going to get going to be 737-825s?

VC10er

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:26 pm

It's odd, I don't know why my " gut feel" this about the rebirth of the new Eastern is very positive, i.e.; I can see this really working, yet, every attempt to bring back PanAm I never had the "gut feeling" that PA would ever come back (as much as I would love to see PanAm back)

It seems like Eastern can make a comeback.

I'd fly her!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

bjorn14

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:30 pm

Anybody know how much they paid to obtain use of the Eastern name?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

jfk777

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:58 pm

Eastern right now is a novelty in Miami but its not 1985 and MIA is not EA hub anymore. A small niche EA flying under AA's radar is one thing but an EA with 20 737-800 establishing a hub in Miami will cause an itch in the wrong place in DFW which will get EA a Texas sized response it may not survive. IF EA wants to be a bigger airline Miami is not big enough any more for two airlines any more, it needs to find a new hub like in Kansas City.

A388

Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:03 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 1):
Their charter business is going well (ferrying the Florida Panthers and Bernie Sanders, among others) and they've partnered with Miami-Dade College to create a "workforce pipeline" from their school of aviation.

I'm really happy to see EA back and flying and I really hope they will become the next big major airline to compete in today's consolidated aviation world where now only have UA, AA and DL as the mainline airlines from the U.S. Don't get me wrong, I like these airlines too but the more airlines there are, the better for me as aircraft spotter 

A388

PRAirbus

Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:25 pm

They could definitely start scheduled service from MIA to places like SDQ; SJU; etc where AA has a monopoly...but those are generally VFR markets; I doubt the new EAL will attract any major business accounts...there are opportunities for them to operate as a niche carrier serving Caribbean destinations; flights to Cuba and charters here and there. Going longhaul or Transcon would be another story since AA will not sit idle. Also, they will not operate a hub for a while; customers want connections and frequency. Could this new EAL become another jetBlue??? The SoFla-Central American market is well served by AA; B6; NK and foreign carriers...good luck to new EAL.

EA CO AS

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:32 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 7):
an EA with 20 737-800 establishing a hub in Miami will cause an itch in the wrong place in DFW which will get EA a Texas sized response it may not survive.

I'd guess EA would have AA at a significant CASM disadvantage, just as NK does at DFW. They'll coexist.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see EA look to codeshare with AA and provide inexpensive feed to their MIA hub.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

flyjoe

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:33 pm

IF EA wants to be a bigger airline Miami is not big enough any more for two airlines any more, it needs to find a new hub like in Kansas City.

Agree.. Plenty of other, options than poking the Big 4 bears, such as PIT or CLE and focusing on the P2P routes from the northeast to FL or Caribbean. They may be better off being a thorn in the side of an Allegiant or Spirit.

zippyjet

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:26 am

Quoting VC10er (Reply 5):

Now, Eastern is flying under the media radar whereas all the incarnations of Pan Am seemed to be at the forefront. Not a good thing when things are not flying their way.

It would be great to see the New Eastern achieve hub status at MIA but there's that obstacle if you get my drift. Eastern should definitely stay at MIA. They could fly regularly scheduled flights to BWI (AA is the only carrier with nonstops to MIA). We WN have FLL taken care of. Easterm could also maybe make a hub in MCO. Best of luck to them. And, I've had several dreams where they flew nonstops to BWI from MIA because in my dreams we had a nice non-rev agreement with the new Eastern.   
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

rikkus67

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:36 am

A little odd seeing Eastern up here in YYC! A welcome change in the local 737 dominated scenery!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...=gm.823813571063697&type=3&theater
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

hz747300

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:48 am

They can make Phoenix / Mesa Gateway a new hub with the slogan, "East of California". If an ULCC model, feeding key markets it should be doable.
Keep on truckin'...

YQBexYHZBGM

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:23 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 12):
Easterm could also maybe make a hub in MCO.

"Official airline of Walt Disney World" revisited, not a bad idea at all. Families still want an airline that offers reasonable amenities at a reasonable price so they can go visit The Mouse without breaking the bank. If the new EA did nothing else but fly nonstop from MCO to strategic markets in the northeast and midwest, they'd likely do well. I'd certainly advise against them trying to re-establish their former ATL hub -- let DL have it.

Al
YQBexYHZBGM

zippyjet

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:41 am

Quoting YQBexYHZBGM (Reply 15):

I agree, the province of DL and we may just sneak back up to compete (WN). I was thinking the airline of Mickey Land. Keep an MIA presence by all means. They could run flights from MIA and especially MCO to BWI, ILG, whoever made a quick entry pulled out. This would cover PHL suburbs also maybe ACY, SYR (used to be big flying L1011s to SYR), BUR, maybe break back into Canada-Ontario/Hull, and MCI, ICT, FNT,MDW, MKE. The new Eastern could align itself with Carnival Cruise Line or RC. Carnival is a cruise powerhouse out of MIA. The new Eastern could even do Key West.

[Edited 2016-02-09 17:44:31]
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

AVENSAB727

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:52 am

Any possibilities that the new EA could launch a few flights or a hub out of IAH or HOU in Houston, more competition is welcome!
Always look on the bright side of Life!

N202PA

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:08 am

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 14):
If an ULCC model, feeding key markets it should be doable.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel to compete with the likes of Allegiant and Spirit? Not exactly what the people who chose the iconic Eastern brand seem to have in mind.

cfichad

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:52 am

Here is my vision for the New Eastern Airline when they start scheduled service.

Big version: Width: 540 Height: 540 File size: 24kb

[Edited 2016-02-09 19:57:16]
A proud American who loves his country and opposes Donald Trump and the Trump agenda!

A388

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:37 pm

Quoting cfichad (Reply 19):
Here is my vision for the New Eastern Airline when they start scheduled service.

Excellent vision you have their to include CUR in their network. I think AA and EA can co-exist on this market.

A388

stlgph

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:17 pm

you know something people, Eastern Airlines *probably* chose to start in Miami for a reason. not Pittsburgh. not Cincinnati. not Phoenix. but Miami? YES.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

a380787

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:35 pm

Slightly curious about your vision - why the scissor hub in CVG ?

32andBelow

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 22):

That's my question. All you are really gaining is 1 stop transcons.

N202PA

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:03 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 24):

That's my question. All you are really gaining is 1 stop transcons.

Probably an attempt to capture O&D out of CVG, although that's not really what Eastern is being set up to do. Seems their goal is to capture the Latin American market out of Miami and feed that operation from other cities. Sort of like what Pan Am was going to do at the end before Delta pulled out.

32andBelow

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:14 pm

Quoting tjwgrr (Reply 23):
I wonder if Bernie realizes the new Eastern Airlines Group isn't state run and is a for-profit corporation?

Bernie's not a communist. Read a book every once in a while.

cfichad

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:26 pm

I chose Cincinnati because there is an empty hub sitting in Cincinnati where there are many Fortune 500 companies willing to put money up for service to place like Boston because of Proctor and Gamble, New York because of Wall Street and the connections to the Cincinnati business community.

I believe that Eastern could ultimately set up a decent sized operation in Cincinnati based on the O&D and setting up an operation that would feed the Miami operation. Seattle to Cincinnati then on to Miami would feed the Caribbean, as would Los Angeles and San Francisco. These are markets that, as large as they are don't have much to the Caribbean. Miami with their massive O&D to places like Haiti and the DR would fill the seats as well as adding the Cincinnati operation.

Of course I am a dreamer and this isn't steeped in reality  
A proud American who loves his country and opposes Donald Trump and the Trump agenda!

wjcandee

Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:08 pm

Spirit is changing its strategy because the majors are starting to respond to it. Fornaro is running for the hills from the majors, and talking about taking business travelers again in minor markets. Given that, Eastern is delusional if it thinks it is going to take on the majors in their own house and win.

DETA737

Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:11 pm

As someone working in the travel industry, I get so many different requests for packages from Orlando to Punta Cana, Cancun, and Montego Bay. Cancun in particular always seems to be a popular destination. I also see requests for Caribbean destinations from the West Coast, they could presumably add some flights there, following the same strategy as the Canadian carriers. They don't necessarily need to have daily scheduled flights to all destinations, but the following might be some good options after a few years.

BERMUDA
Philadelphia
Washington

CANCUN
Austin
Baltimore
Buffalo
Charlotte
Cincinnati
Hartford
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Miami
Milwaukee
New Orleans
Orlando
Pittsburgh
Raleigh/Durham
St Louis
San Antonio

GEORGETOWN, GUYANA
Miami
New York/Newark

LIBERIA, COSTA RICA
Boston
Miami
New York
Washington

MONTEGO BAY
Austin
Charlotte
Hartford
Miami
Orlando

PUNTA CANA
Boston
Charlotte
Los Angeles
Orlando
Philadelphia
Washington

ST MAARTEN
Miami
New York
Washington

TAMPA
Cancun

VARADERO
Miami
New York
Newark

eal

Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:24 pm

This would be an excellent route map, however I do believe that EA would be able to operate MIA-SFO as well given the AA monopoly. I believe an AS-EA partnership would work incredibly. The new Eastern has stated that they plan on operating a Latin American network.

Italianflyer

Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:22 pm

What concerns me is EA lack of branding. Yes, nostalgia is great but hardly a foundation. AA has a global network; B6 is tech savvy and offers an above average soft product; WN is..well..WN & NK has their
'You get what you pay for' model. Where does that leave EA?

Growing into Lat Am markets out of highly competitive SoFla at a time when many Latin commodity-dependent economies are tanking is risky. Putting their eggs in an emerging Cuban market is also risky. Aligning with a few major cruise lines may be a wise near term move.

commavia

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:17 pm

I'll say this much - the last time I was at MIA, I saw two Eastern 737s sitting on the field (not at the terminal) going nowhere, and all but one of their flights showing on the departure board were delayed, all >3 hours.

Eastern right now is a novelty in Miami but its not 1985 and MIA is not EA hub anymore. A small niche EA flying under AA's radar is one thing but an EA with 20 737-800 establishing a hub in Miami will cause an itch in the wrong place in DFW which will get EA a Texas sized response it may not survive.

I tend to agree.

Quoting PRAirbus (Reply 9):
there are opportunities for them to operate as a niche carrier serving Caribbean destinations; flights to Cuba and charters here and there

The problem with this whole "niche" concept, though, is that it really provides no sustainable, defensible competitive advantage against far larger, stronger non-"niche" competitors.

Eastern can be a "niche carrier" service the Caribbean, but what good does "niche" do up against AA and JetBlue in South Florida? Eastern can carve out a "niche" flying charters to Cuba, but then where does that leave them when the market gets flooded with tons of new, scheduled capacity?

The few startup scheduled passenger airlines that have succeeded in the U.S. since deregulation - and there have been very few - all had a business model build on more than a "niche."

Quoting stlgph (Reply 21):
you know something people, Eastern Airlines *probably* chose to start in Miami for a reason. not Pittsburgh. not Cincinnati. not Phoenix. but Miami? YES.

Yeah - kind of like how SkyBus "chose" to be based at CMH, PeopleExpress "chose" to be based at PHF, California Pacific "chose" to be based at CLD, etc. The mere fact that a startup airline's management team consciously "chose" to base their operation somewhere doesn't necessarily mean they "chose" wisely. History certainly proves that.

Quoting Italianflyer (Reply 31):
What concerns me is EA lack of branding. Yes, nostalgia is great but hardly a foundation. AA has a global network; B6 is tech savvy and offers an above average soft product; WN is..well..WN & NK has their
'You get what you pay for' model. Where does that leave EA?

spinkid

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:15 am

I have a feeling scheduled service will likely be up the road at FLL, and PBI ad well to destinations in the Northeast to begin with.

They still need to decide if they will be a LCC like B6 or WN or ULCC like Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant. I can't imagine them flying as a Legacy style.

AVENSAB727

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:25 am

I believe they can succeed, that is if they play their cards right, right now, it seems that they are doing very well, going to a configuration studio in Boeing to configure their New 737NGs and 737MAX. They are doing something right, if they have made it this far.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

EA CO AS

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:50 am

Quoting Italianflyer (Reply 31):
What concerns me is EA lack of branding.

Which you won't see until scheduled service begins. Charter companies don't spend a lot on branding and marketing.

OB1504

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:52 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 10):
I'd guess EA would have AA at a significant CASM disadvantage, just as NK does at DFW. They'll coexist.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see EA look to codeshare with AA and provide inexpensive feed to their MIA hub.

NK has awoken the sleeping giants and AA is now price-matching them. NK booted its CEO and is retrenching. AA will not allow EA to succeed if they decide to go head-to-head.

I also doubt that AA and EA would need to codeshare. AA codeshares with AS because it has no hub of its own in the northwest, but why would AA codeshare with a carrier out of MIA when they can fly the passengers all the way themselves?

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 28):
Spirit is changing its strategy because the majors are starting to respond to it. Fornaro is running for the hills from the majors, and talking about taking business travelers again in minor markets. Given that, Eastern is delusional if it thinks it is going to take on the majors in their own house and win.

Quoting DETA737 (Reply 29):
As someone working in the travel industry, I get so many different requests for packages from Orlando to Punta Cana, Cancun, and Montego Bay. Cancun in particular always seems to be a popular destination. I also see requests for Caribbean destinations from the West Coast, they could presumably add some flights there, following the same strategy as the Canadian carriers. They don't necessarily need to have daily scheduled flights to all destinations, but the following might be some good options after a few years.

An approach like this would be a good way for EA to build up scheduled operations and brand recognition without inciting AA.

Quoting commavia (Reply 32):
I'll say this much - the last time I was at MIA, I saw two Eastern 737s sitting on the field (not at the terminal) going nowhere, and all but one of their flights showing on the departure board were delayed, all >3 hours.

Delays are a fact of life with any airline's Cuba operations, so you can't read too much into that. As far as charter carriers go, EA is one of the more reliable ones.

hz747300

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:21 am

Quoting N202PA (Reply 18):
Scraping the bottom of the barrel to compete with the likes of Allegiant and Spirit? Not exactly what the people who chose the iconic Eastern brand seem to have in mind.

Hmmm.... They can choose to chase their nostalgia all the way down to the bankruptcy court. I do believe that this is the only gap in the market right now in the US though is the ULCC. However, it would be a mistake to base it at 2nd or 3rd tier city, it needs to be tier 1. Miami is a good choice. Good luck to them--it's good to see the brand back. It'd be great to have a functioning Pan Am again too.
Keep on truckin'...

EA CO AS

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:00 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 35):
why would AA codeshare with a carrier out of MIA when they can fly the passengers all the way themselves?

Because they may be missing out on some feed to MIA that they cannot profitably serve...but a lower-cost EA could.

That's why.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos