Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cityairline
Topic Author

Philippine Aviation 2016

Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:51 pm

Hey everyone! It's been a while since wee had the last Philippine aviation thread, so I figured I'll start a new one.

Every now and then I read news about airlines increasing their presence in the Philippine market, but often the news are not "big enough" to deserve their own threads.

The Philippine aviation market is an interesting one. Even though the economy is booming (+6% in 2015) faster than most of its neighbours, the major gateway of MNL is capacity restrained and congestion is getting even worse! Several airlines have expressed interest in launching Manila or increasing frequencies, but have been turned down by the airport.
NZ were looking at AKL-MNL but were only offered slots around midnight, so I don't know if they moved on or if they are considering it.

First piece of news I wanted to highlight is the number of passengers passing through MNL last year. After two years of growth of only 3%, it returned to a higher 8% last year.

Domestic: 19,513,514 (+8%)
International: 17,168,087 (+7%)
Total: 36,681,601 (+8%)

This year the airport expects to breach 40 million passengers.
http://www.gov.ph/2016/01/21/two-million-more-passengers-2015/

Another piece of news is that Philippine Airlines will increase its only European route, London, from 5 weekly to daily flights. Although, this was discussed in a separate thread:
Philippine Airlines Increases LHR To Daily (by cityairline Feb 3 2016 in Civil Aviation)

Speaking of the only European route, PAL has expressed that they only want to add one more destination in the continent in the nearest future. It seemed for a while that it would be CDG, but now it's leaning a bit more towards 4 weekly FCO operated by the A340-300. Let's see if this is announced by the airline sometime soon.

Yesterday Turkish Airlines increased their Manila flights from 3 weekly to daily. I was on a IST-MNL flight in January and was expecting a majority of Filipinos travelers (just like most of long haul flights to Manila), but was surprised to see that around 250 of the 350 passengers onboard seemed to be tourists. The same on the way back! Good to see that Turkish contributes to an increased tourism flow into the country...

Another airline that surprised me lately is BR. They have been serving the TPE-MNL route daily (widebody) for many, many years. But after new ASA was signed between Taiwan and the Philippines, BR added a second daily (widebody) flight in January. And later this year, the airline will add a third daily (widebody) rotation on the route!

And, as previously posted, this spring Emirates increases MNL from 14 to 18 weekly while Etihad increases MNL from 14 to 17 weekly. All operated by the 77W!
Emirates will also launch their new DXB-CEB-CRK-MNL, also with the 77W.

Qantas also increased their SYD-MNL from 4 to 5 weekly flights (all year round) two months ago, all operated by A330.

Cathay increased their Manila flights to 7 daily (!!!), all operated by widebodies.

Last but not least, Jetstar Japan will launch service to Manila from Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya later this year.
NRT-MNL Daily
NGO-MNL Daily
KIX-MNL 4 weekly

Well, post away!

/Alex

[Edited 2016-02-09 08:44:41]

[Edited 2016-02-09 08:48:10]
I don't fly to live, I live to fly...

diesel33

RE: Philippine Aviation 2016

Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Thanks for setting up another thread!

Quoting cityairline (Thread starter):
Another airline that surprised me lately is BR. They have been serving the TPE-MNL route daily (widebody) for many, many years. But after new ASA was signed between Taiwan and the Philippines, BR added a second daily (widebody) flight in January. And later this year, the airline will add a third daily (widebody) rotation on the route
BR will also begin flights (4x weekly) between Taipei and Cebu beginning on March 27th.

I started a thread a few weeks ago but don't believe anyone answered. Anyone have any information on how ET is going in Manila? I am curious to know.

[Edited 2016-02-09 08:15:21]

cityairline
Topic Author

Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:40 pm

Quoting diesel33 (Reply 1):
Thanks for setting up another thread!

I started a thread a few weeks ago but don't believe anyone answered. Anyone have any information on how ET is going in Manila? I am curious to know.

I must have missed it!
Oh thanks for the reminder, ET actually announced today that their ADD-BKK-MNL route will get the 767 replaced by the 787 from July.
I have no idea of how the route is performing.

sassiciai

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:05 pm

I departed through NAIA T3 on 2 February to HKG, and to my delight and surprise, the ominous departure tax collection desks were closed! I was 550PHP richer as a result!

I had heard ages ago that this was on the table, but had never heard that it had actually happened. It did not seem to have been passed straight on into the airfare offerings, they seem to be more or less as before! Cebu Pacific PHP3058 single MNL to HKG including 1 checked case, that's a bit less than €60

On the topic of congestion, where I have experienced taxi times to become No 1 for departure of more than 1 hour in the past, at 16.30 on 2 February, my Cebu Pacific plane taxied straight from T3 gate1 to the departure runway without any holds, and we were airborne immediately thereafter. There were more taxi-ing traffic problems in Hong Kong than in MNL for a change

SEPilot

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:30 pm

BR will also begin flights (4x weekly) between Taipei and Cebu beginning on March 27th.

That is of great interest to me. I would love to have the option of skipping MNL (my normal destination is DPL, as that is where my wife's family lives.) However, my wife does have a sister and one of her best friends living in (or near) Manila, so we may end up not utilizing it. But MNL is a nightmare.

BR's adding flights TPE-MNL and JFK-TPE is also of interest to us, assuming we decide not to spend time in Manila. Right now the flights MNL-DPL (on both Cebu and PAL) leave around noon, and no flight from JFK arrives in time to catch them, necessitating staying overnight in Manila (on any airline that I have checked.) I have been very satisfied with BR, and expect to stick with them in the future. Our next trip there will likely be next fall, so we will see what is available.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

Tomassjc

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:47 pm

That is of great interest to me.

BR is offering some incredibly low intro fares. As low as $628 R/T from the West Coast. I think the sale ends 15 Feb.
CX is also a great CEB option through HKG if you want to avoid MNL. Has anyone heard anything about PR starting LAX-CEB non-stops in the future?

Tomas SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

diesel33

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:37 pm

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 5):
Has anyone heard anything about PR starting LAX-CEB non-stops in the future?

It starts next month (March 15th) three times a week!

cityairline
Topic Author

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:00 pm

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 5):
Has anyone heard anything about PR starting LAX-CEB non-stops in the future?

Like diesel33 said, yes. And if you want some more information:

http://www1.airliners.net/aviation-f...eral_aviation/read.main/6469351/1/

/Alex

ABpositive

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:29 pm

One thing I think they really need to do is sort out the transit between terminals. As it is, you have to go through the notorious outside traffic which can take 2 hours between terminals sometimes. Couldn't this be easily fixed with an air-side shuttle bus between terminals?
T4 also desperately needs a lounge for PR given NAIA is their main gateway and there are so many flights leaving from that terminal now too.

SEPilot

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:16 am

Quoting ABpositive (Reply 8):
One thing I think they really need to do is sort out the transit between terminals.

That is the truth; I tried to put my sister-in-law on a flight, and was told it was at T2; we got there and found out it was T3. It took nearly 3 hours to get there, and she missed it (we could have walked in less time). Fortunately there was a later flight which she got on.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

diesel33

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:31 pm

Quoting cityairline (Reply 2):
ET actually announced today that their ADD-BKK-MNL route will get the 767 replaced by the 787 from July. I have no idea of how the route is performing.

I noticed this too but one thing I didn't realize is that sometime between the start of flights (July 2015) and today, ET has increased the number of flights from 3x weekly to 4x weekly. Very interesting.

The777Man

Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:45 pm

Any news on plans for a new airport ?

The current airport is way too congested and needed replacement ten years ago.....Only one major runway is not enough capacity.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

Devilfish

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 pm

Quoting The777Man (Reply 11):

This is the latest.....

http://www.philstar.com/business/201...-lake-top-choices-new-airport-site

Quote:
"The two options being considered now are Sangley Point in Cavite and Laguna Lake.

JICA earlier identified five possible locations for the new international airport for Manila, but later on trimmed the list to central Manila Bay and Sangley Point.

Abaya said the DOTC is waiting for JICA to submit its final report on the pre-feasibility study so a notice to proceed on the full feasibility study could be issued.

'We’ll wait for their final report, then we’ll give the letter,' he said.

He said the first phase of the full feasibility study would determine whether the new airport should be in Sangley Point or in Laguna Lake.

The second phase, meanwhile, would go into more detail on the recommended location.

The full feasibility study would also cover the cost of constructing the new airport."

I'm more interested in what improvements they would do to the existing NAIA in the meantime to address the current congestion problems there.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

crownvic

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:04 am

One thing I think they really need to do is sort out the transit between terminals. As it is, you have to go through the notorious outside traffic which can take 2 hours between terminals sometimes. Couldn't this be easily fixed with an air-side shuttle bus between terminals?
T4 also desperately needs a lounge for PR given NAIA is their main gateway and there are so many flights leaving from that terminal now too.

There was an internal shuttle between the terminals in the past few years. Has this been discontinued? It offered some great ramp side views of the graveyard (now gone), when you passed by. Are you sure it no longer operates?

SEPilot

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:31 am

Quoting The777Man (Reply 11):

There are huge problems in trying to put a new airport anywhere near Manila; there is no empty land anywhere near the city, and the transportation infrastructure is hopelessly inadequate. Any new airport will of necessity be at least 20km from the city center, and new transportation systems (road, and hopefully rail) will have to be built to accommodate it. This may well double the cost.

Quoting crownvic (Reply 13):
There was an internal shuttle between the terminals in the past few years. Has this been discontinued?

It still exists, but it only serves ticketed passengers who have checked in. We tried to use it, but were denied because only one of us was ticketed and had not checked in. It is pretty much limited to passengers who arrive on a flight at one terminal and must leave via another terminal. There is supposed to be another one where you can pay, but we waited nearly an hour and it never came.

ABpositive

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:03 am

Quoting SEPilot (Reply 14):
Quoting crownvic (Reply 13):
There was an internal shuttle between the terminals in the past few years. Has this been discontinued?

It still exists, but it only serves ticketed passengers who have checked in. We tried to use it, but were denied because only one of us was ticketed and had not checked in. It is pretty much limited to passengers who arrive on a flight at one terminal and must leave via another terminal. There is supposed to be another one where you can pay, but we waited nearly an hour and it never came.

That's right, this only works if you're connecting flights on the same airline, but if you have to change terminals with different airlines you have to clear customs, if international flight, and collect luggage.

The777Man

Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:14 am

Quoting Devilfish (Reply 12):
This is the latest.....

Thank you for the info.

Laguna Lake is that the big lake to the east of Manila ?

There are huge problems in trying to put a new airport anywhere near Manila; there is no empty land anywhere near the city, and the transportation infrastructure is hopelessly inadequate. Any new airport will of necessity be at least 20km from the city center, and new transportation systems (road, and hopefully rail) will have to be built to accommodate it. This may well double the cost.

Sangley Point actually has part of the infrastructure there; the Cavite Express ways goes very close to where the new airport would be. They really should try to add some rail connection as well but thats another story.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

ABpositive

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:20 am

Quoting The777Man (Reply 16):

Sangley Point actually has part of the infrastructure there; the Cavite Express ways goes very close to where the new airport would be. They really should try to add some rail connection as well but thats another story.

Agree. Given the level of corruption every major infrastructure project takes (just look at Terminal 4 debacle) I imagine it would take 20 years to build another airport.
In the mean time, I'm surprised how a country of 100 million people only has one major international gateway in the first place. Philippine's government need to do more to promote other major cities' airports (e.g. Cebu) and make them more lucrative for carriers to use. A large number of arrivals at MNL are OFWs and tourists for who Metro Manila isn't final destination anyway.

SEPilot

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:07 am

Quoting ABpositive (Reply 17):
Philippine's government need to do more to promote other major cities' airports (e.g. Cebu) and make them more lucrative for carriers to use. A large number of arrivals at MNL are OFWs and tourists for who Metro Manila isn't final destination anyway.

Completely agree. The Philippines is a wonderful place, but Manila is one of the worst places I have ever been. I would be happy to be able to avoid Manila; unfortunately I have a sister in law and my wife's best friend who live there. But perhaps we can use an open-jawed ticket; maybe arrive in Cebu and depart from Manila. And I have several friends with Philippine wives, and most of them have no desire at all to go anywhere near Manila. Cebu would be a much better option for most of them.

cityairline
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:46 pm

Starting in March, Philippine Airlines will increase its frequencies on MNL-DRW-BNE from 3 to 4 weekly. Three months later they will also double frequencies on their MNL-PEK route from 4 to 8 weekly.

I think they are constructing an elevated expressway along some of the way between T1/T2 and T3. I'm not completetly sure but I thought I witnessed this last month.
Regarding the air-side shuttle, just like some of the above have mentioned, there already is one for those with an onward ticket with the same airline. I flew HKG-MNL-PPS on PR last month and we were put in a waiting area for about 30 minutes and were then taken to T3 via air-side. I have to add that we had an amazing view of T2, T4 and then T3 while aircraft were taking off from runway 13/31. It felt more lika sight-seeing tour, it was amazing!

Quoting SEPilot (Reply 9):
I tried to put my sister-in-law on a flight, and was told it was at T2; we got there and found out it was T3. It took nearly 3 hours to get there

Are you serious, three hours??? That's unacceptable...

Quoting ABpositive (Reply 17):
In the mean time, I'm surprised how a country of 100 million people only has one major international gateway in the first place. Philippine's government need to do more to promote other major cities' airports (e.g. Cebu) and make them more lucrative for carriers to use. A large number of arrivals at MNL are OFWs and tourists for who Metro Manila isn't final destination anyway.
Quoting SEPilot (Reply 18):
Completely agree. The Philippines is a wonderful place, but Manila is one of the worst places I have ever been. I would be happy to be able to avoid Manila; unfortunately I have a sister in law and my wife's best friend who live there. But perhaps we can use an open-jawed ticket; maybe arrive in Cebu and depart from Manila. And I have several friends with Philippine wives, and most of them have no desire at all to go anywhere near Manila. Cebu would be a much better option for most of them.

I get what both of you are saying and I partially agree. But if you think about it, it's not that strange at all.
The greater Metro Manila area has a population of 25 million, while the second largest city, Cebu, has only 3 million. The difference is huge, we're talking eight times the size.
Second of all, even though "only" 25% of the country live around Manila, almost 50% of the economic activity in the Philippines is being generated in the Manila area.
Third of all, Manila is the only region in the country where less than 10% of the population lives under the poverty line (believe it or not), while in Visayas and Mindanao around 30% live under the line.

And also, I'm not really sure if this is about promoting the provincial destinations more, beacause that's just what they're doing. They don't hand out any more slots at MNL, only to CRK, CEB, DVO etc... And STILL, there are tons of airlines knocking on MNL's door, but no one at CEB's.
You need to remember that Qatar dropped CEB, and Emirates will only fly there because they "have to" in order to get additional slots at Manila.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Cebu grow, and my own favourite Palawan. But the airlines go where the money is, and that's Manila. And if Manila long haul yields are low, the rest of the country is just not interesting...

That being said, I wish Philippine Airlines' new LAX-CEB all the luck in the world and hope it will stick around and mayby even become daily. The same with EK and let's hope CEB will be separated from CRK and get its own dedicated service...

/Alex

Devilfish

Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:36 pm

For those impatient for any news on PR's 'impending' new, long-haul type order, there is speculation that something could be announced at the Singapore Airshow.....

http://www.reuters.com/article/singapore-airshow-pal-idUSL3N15T052

Quote:
"Feb 14 Philippine Airlines Inc (PAL) is close to announcing a deal to secure about half a dozen wide-body Airbus jets to serve U.S. and Europe long-haul flights, several people familiar with the matter said.

The deal for Airbus A350-900 jets, likely to be announced at this week's Singapore Airshow, would be valued around $1.8 billion at list prices based on an outright purchase, though other deal structures may be considered, said the people who were not authorised to speak to the media.

One source said this could involve PAL leasing the planes.

PAL and Europe's Airbus declined to comment."

Another source.....

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-a...order-imminent-philippine-airlines

From another thread, PR might also announce its order for new turboprop aircraft there.

[Edited 2016-02-14 09:48:33]

cityairline
Topic Author

Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:51 pm

Quoting cityairline (Thread starter):
Another airline that surprised me lately is BR. They have been serving the TPE-MNL route daily (widebody) for many, many years. But after new ASA was signed between Taiwan and the Philippines, BR added a second daily (widebody) flight in January. And later this year, the airline will add a third daily (widebody) rotation on the route!

And now Taiwanese carrier V Air adds its first route to the Philippines, with a four weekly TPE-MNL in March!

ZV085 TPE1700 – 1900MNL 32S x135
ZV086 MNL2000 – 2200TPE 32S x135

/Alex

Devilfish

Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:48 pm

It appears that my description above of "something" being announced by PR at the SAS was fairly accurate.....

http://www.airbus.com/newsevents/new...22-a350-900-pal-02/?return_id=3403

Quote:
"Philippine Airlines (PAL) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Airbus for the order of six A350-900s, with another six purchase options. The news was announced today at the Singapore Airshow by Jaime J. Bautista, President & COO of Philippine Airlines and Fabrice Brégier, President & CEO of Airbus.

Philippine Airlines will configure its A350-900s with a premium three class layout and will operate the aircraft on non-stop flights from Manila to the US west coast and New York, as well as on services to new destinations in Europe. The aircraft will enable the carrier to operate non-stop service on the 8,000 nautical mile New York – Manila route all year round with a full passenger load."

A local blog is saying that PR has selected the long-range version configured for 300 seats. This (apart from the usual fiduciary issues) might explain the MOU as they could still be ascertaining the exact order mix.....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.c...6/02/peek-for-todays-headline.html

I'm dreading if PR would now go for the 90-seat Q400 just announced instead of their earlier choice...  crowded  ...

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...o-take-q400-up-to-90-seats-422050/

[Edited 2016-02-17 08:00:05]

Devilfish

Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:42 pm

The blog further says PR's A350 would fly to LHR on its first commercial flight.....

Quote:
"PAL President and Chief Operating Officer Jaime J. Bautista said the first A350 is scheduled to be delivered to the airline by December of 2018, while two others will follow in January and March of 2019, respectively. It is tentatively set to fly London on its inaugural."

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-haul-expansion-with-a350s-422052/

Quote:
"Asked why the airline chose the A350 over the Boeing 787-9, which it was also evaluating, Bautista says he believes the Airbus aircraft will help it operate long-haul services efficiently, and is a jet that is 'viable' for the airline 'technically and commercially'.

Bautista also discloses that PAL is studying the possibility of adding regional jets or turboprops to its fleet, for the operation of domestic routes where there are runway constraints. Its PAL Express unit currently has four Bombardier Dash 8 Q400s and four Q300s in service."

I guess "runway constraints" (not at MPH and a few others) and price would factor against a possible CS100 acquisition.         

crownvic

Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:03 am

I regularly visit the Philippines and here are some of my findings traveling through this countries two gateways several times, over the past two weeks:

1) Skyway- Once this project is completed, I think it will tremendously help the traffic flow into, out of and around the airport. Unfortunately, in typical Philippine fashion, the project is delayed, delayed, delayed and is exacerbating the poor roads currently handling this same traffic, The Skyway construction is restricting already constricted lanes with very little thought process involved with minimizing the congestion. I traveled on these same surface roads at 0100 HRS from T3 to Roxas and it took 1 hour and 15 minutes. Totally ridiculous and no work was even going on with this project.

2) Cebu - Macatan Int'l - This airport is a dump. It is filthy dirty, overcrowded and a rather poor facility. I was in shock when I was in the terminal and read it was built with Japanese investment money in 1997. I would have guessed it was a 1970s vintage building. Really bad and now the government is offering incentives for airlines to add unlimited service to this airport, in the hopes of pulling away traffic from MNL. They are going to create a monster at this already stressed facility, if airlines take the offer up in addition to EK. For people who know, the other problem they have there is the main bridge from the airport to the city and mainland Cebu is undergoing a massive repair causing insane travel times between two locations, only a few miles apart. This airport is not ready for long haul nonstops, but here they go.

3) MNL T-1 - Now the best kept secret. What was officially the world's worst airport (terminal) for so many years, is surprisingly not so bad now. I flew Thai in and out of this terminal and was surprised just how much it is improved. Although the renovation work put into it may not be up to the standards of a modern airport, it much better now. The Customs/Immigration are much smoother and the baggage claim area is so much better.

4) MNL T-2- This terminal has gone MNL's best, to probably their worst. It is completely overcrowded as PAL has grown. The inside facilities are inadequate (A/C, shopping, eating, bathrooms) and is in dire need of a renovation/expansion. With the clearing of the property adjacent to the terminal now, let's hope something is going to be done and not just talked about. I have watched this terminal really go downhill, just in a matter of 3-4 years.

5) MNL T-3- As airlines have moved over from T-1, this terminal is now showing signs of stress. It is the newest of all the terminals, but the allowing of Cebu Pacific to still dominate it, causes too much congestion. Personally, I feel all the international carriers should be at T-3 and CEB should be moved to the now renovated T-1, but the powers to be at CEB who managed to "snag" this terminal early on probably would ever go for it, but operationally for everyone, it would be a good move.

6) MNL T-4- Cannot comment as I did not use this terminal on this trip. Based on my visit there 6 months ago, not much will ever happen with this ground level, small terminal. It is fun for the enthusiast, because you get to enplane/deplane through the ramp airstairs like the old days.

Overall, I am not very optimistic for any new airport for MNL in the next 20 years (or forever). Too much red tape and government intervention to prevent anything of this magnitude from happening. Until they figure out how to clear the area parallel to the main r/w (to add another runway), this airport will suffer mounting delays. There continues to be a horrible infrastructure problem and getting a taxi upon arrival is getting worse and worse with each visit. Taxi lines at peak hours are now averaging over one hour. Most of all, upkeep is kept to a minimum. If more funds were dedicated to the upkeep of their facilities, it would be a big help, but they seem to just run everything into the ground before anything is done. The airport in Cebu is a perfect example. If you want to go to the Philippines, pack your patience. It's a great place to visit, once you get away from their airports!

TedToToe

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Quoting crownvic (Reply 24):
1) Skyway- Once this project is completed, I think it will tremendously help the traffic flow into, out of and around the airport. Unfortunately, in typical Philippine fashion, the project is delayed, delayed, delayed and is exacerbating the poor roads currently handling this same traffic, The Skyway construction is restricting already constricted lanes with very little thought process involved with minimizing the congestion. I traveled on these same surface roads at 0100 HRS from T3 to Roxas and it took 1 hour and 15 minutes. Totally ridiculous and no work was even going on with this project.

On my last trip to MNL we were due to fly PR to PPS; when the flight was cancelled, they put us up in a hotel for the night. I cannot remember the name of the hotel, but it seemed like only 3 or 4 miles from Terminal 3. The following day, for a rescheduled departure time of 10:15, the wake-up call was at 04:30!!! When we asked the reason, the PR agent explained that it was due to traffic, and they weren't kidding. It took the best part of two hours to get to the airport!!

Devilfish

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:39 pm

I regularly visit the Philippines and here are some of my findings traveling through this countries two gateways several times, over the past two weeks:

Thank you. It's a fairly accurate assessment of the situation.

1) Skyway

The delay is mainly attributable to the Government's failure to deliver the required Right-of-Ways on time. The chaotic traffic even at midnight is due to a combination of contractor negligence and authorities' apathy.

2) Cebu - Macatan Int'l

The contract for the new international terminal has already been awarded. The problem is they forgot to tell the military to vacate the area where it would be built and had no facility ready to transfer them to.

3) MNL T-1

Yes, T-1 is quite a surprise now that five big, foreign airlines have transferred to T-3. Perhaps they should consolidate PR's international and domestic operations at T-1's two concourses given the carrier's rapid growth? But that means PR would be farther from Rwy 13-31 and may miss out on connecting international passengers from T-3 (though they'd be within easy reach of an extended T-2).

4) MNL T-2

Inevitable for it was originally designed to be just a domestic terminal. Now, PR is having its international SFO flights docking at T-1. If PR were to vacate one wing of T-2 at a time and the Government finally managed to demolish the hotel (or integrate the structure in the design), then phased expansion of T-2 could proceed -- first towards the Nayong Pilipino area, then the domestic wing towards the fuel depot and cargo building -- for international airlines.

http://36.media.tumblr.com/b0804e1c9...umblr_nklhnlG8MR1qdbtojo2_1280.jpg

5) MNL T-3

Alternatively, they could let other international airlines share a much expanded and modernized T-2 with 5J (if PR would agree).

6) MNL T-4

T-4 simply has to go...there are much better provincial terminals than it now. A replacement domestic terminal could be built across Rwy 6/24 with good access once the proposed C-5 extension is complete.

All in all, various permutations of a grand scheme...which is to provide a quick, workable, affordable solution for NAIA which will meet the ASEAN Common Skies program...until a new, "dream" gateway is in place.

Overall, I am not very optimistic for any new airport for MNL in the next 20 years (or forever).

Frankly, I do not expect to see one in operation during my lifetime.

Until they figure out how to clear the area parallel to the main r/w (to add another runway), this airport will suffer mounting delays.

That most likely won't happen anymore. That area outside the airport's perimeter fence is now designated for a new highway connecting C-5 to the coastal highway extension to Cavite. Though the land inside where the emergency/fire/security and flight catering services are could be a viable location for a new domestic or LCC terminal should one with better access still be needed.....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Spijkers

There continues to be a horrible infrastructure problem and getting a taxi upon arrival is getting worse and worse with each visit.

You may now have another option.....

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/20...unches-premium-airport-bus-service

The airport in Cebu is a perfect example. If you want to go to the Philippines, pack your patience. It's a great place to visit, once you get away from their airports!

There may be hope yet.....

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/mac...-outstanding-ppp-projects-in-2015/

leo777

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:43 am

There was chatter about PAL coming back to ORD this year, anyone have updates?
You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

crownvic

Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:29 am

Quoting Devilfish (Reply 26):
2) Cebu - Macatan Int'l

The contract for the new international terminal has already been awarded. The problem is they forgot to tell the military to vacate the area where it would be built and had no facility ready to transfer them to.

That does not surprise me. Glad to hear they are expanding this airport. I did see a new ramp and construction going on between the terminal and the military area, so I guess the work has begun. However, they should have completed the work, before they started luring all this new international service. Like all projects in the Ph., I am sure there will be delays and the current terminal is already taxed without these additional flights.

Quoting Devilfish (Reply 26):
Until they figure out how to clear the area parallel to the main r/w (to add another runway), this airport will suffer mounting delays.

That most likely won't happen anymore. That area outside the airport's perimeter fence is now designated for a new highway connecting C-5 to the coastal highway extension to Cavite. Though the land inside where the emergency/fire/security and flight catering services are could be a viable location for a new domestic or LCC terminal should one with better access still be needed.....

That's not good. They have got to do something about the runway situation. The delays are horrible and the speed they move the a/c in and out is not very good. I grew up at busy airports throughout the U.S. and we move planes as if they are on aircraft carriers. Overall, in Asia, I see this same slow process of moving traffic at many of the airports (especially HKG). From what I understand, this is due to inflight ATC that just cannot get the speed up to the pace of a/c in the U.S...There is just too much "lolly gagging" going on at Asian airports. For example, if a plane lands on a runway that an aircraft is waiting to enter on take-off, my observance in the U.S. is, the a/c taking off begins the process of entering the runway immediately to take off asap. In Asia, the a/c taking off just sits on the taxiway until the landing a/c clears the runway. Of course, some may argue with me and think I am imagining this, but there is no way the pace of a/c traffic in Asia moves like it does in the U.S.

As for the bus service, I am not sure how successful that will be. Most of the international long haul flights arrive late in the evening. As you know, Manila literally has probably a 1000 hotels. The last thing I want to do after a 20+ hour flight is to be walking the streets of Manila in the wee hours, hauling a suitcase and thousands of dollars in my wallet, to get to my specific hotel. Not a safe idea, nor do I want to make a bunch of stops further extending the trip.

airlineaddict

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:59 am

Anyone have any renderings of the proposed positioning of an airport at Laguna Lake looks like? Last time I drove by there (over 5 years ago) there was a lot of fishing activity (fish farms)?

SEPilot

Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:28 pm

Quoting cityairline (Reply 19):
Are you serious, three hours??? That's unacceptable...

Yes, I am serious. Had it been me alone, I would have walked (and got there sooner.) But I did not think my fiancee (now wife) and sister in law would have been able to.

Quoting cityairline (Reply 19):
But the airlines go where the money is, and that's Manila. And if Manila long haul yields are low, the rest of the country is just not interesting...

Unfortunately true. I am hoping that the economies of the provinces are going to pick up; the governor of Zamboanga del Norte (who happens to be a good friend of my wife's family) is a businessman, and a very good man as well. He wants to help business develop in his province. His wife, by the way, is mayor of Dipolog, and she is very good as well.

3) MNL T-1 - Now the best kept secret. What was officially the world's worst airport (terminal) for so many years, is surprisingly not so bad now. I flew Thai in and out of this terminal and was surprised just how much it is improved. Although the renovation work put into it may not be up to the standards of a modern airport, it much better now. The Customs/Immigration are much smoother and the baggage claim area is so much better.

I can personally attest to that. My first trip, in August 2013, was on DL and through Terminal 1. It was indeed a dump. My second trip, on BR, was in June 2014, and Terminal 1 was in the midst of renovation. On my last trip, also on BR, I arrived on Oct. 1 2014, but did not see the arrival portion; I departed on Apr. 7, 2015 and T1 was truly transformed.

Overall, I am not very optimistic for any new airport for MNL in the next 20 years (or forever). Too much red tape and government intervention to prevent anything of this magnitude from happening.

I have to agree, unfortunately. As much of a problem as the airport is, the surface transportation infrastructure is so much worse. Getting anywhere around Manila is so frustrating that the airport is really a minor problem. To foreigners it is huge, as it is the first thing they experience and is so different from what they are used to, but to a Filippino it is a minor annoyance, and just part of the hassle of life in Manila. Comparatively few Filippinos travel by air, and the ones that do find that the hassles are no worse than just getting to the airport. Until the surface transportation improves considerably (which is going to be very difficult to do) building a new airport is just going to make things worse for most, because of the hassle of getting to it, since it will be of necessity far from the center of Manila (and in Manila, 5km is far.)

Devilfish

Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:07 am

It is the newest of all the terminals, but the allowing of Cebu Pacific to still dominate it, causes too much congestion.

Forgot to mention this. The linked photoshopped image of T-2 expansion also shows an "envisioned" turboprop terminal at T-3's western end for local carriers, essentially replacing T-4. 5J could transfer their domestic ops there while keeping their bigger jets at T-3.

but the powers to be at CEB who managed to "snag" this terminal early on probably would ever go for it

In fairness, 5J did not just "grab" their spaces at T-3...they "volunteered" to test-run and debug that terminal. Those were first offered to foreign airlines who declined citing the incomplete facilities and concerns about sanctions and their assets being seized for using T-3 which was mired in controversy then.

Quoting crownvic (Reply 28):
That's not good. They have got to do something about the runway situation.

It stumps me how they could buyout the surrounding properties for the highway extension and yet be unable to fund the same for the vitally needed parallel runway and taxiway. It's as if unseen minds are scheming to make the airfield an ensconced enclave while forcing the country to build a new airport from scratch on non-existing land.

From what I understand, this is due to inflight ATC that just cannot get the speed up to the pace of a/c in the U.S.

NATS of the U.K. is engaged for a year-long, two-pronged solution to considerably improve ATC and ground movements at NAIA. Though not much is expected to be heard from it with the national elections now looming. Of course, it doesn't hurt that in the U.S. there are vast expanses of land and airspace, and infinitely more money to conduct such operations.

The last thing I want to do after a 20 hour flight is to be walking the streets of Manila in the wee hours, hauling a suitcase and thousands of dollars in my wallet, to get to my specific hotel.

There is definitely that risk, though the stops are presumably right by your hotel if not on its driveway, and other well-lit, frequented commercial establishments. About as much risk when you're in an Uber cab all by yourself. The bigger danger I see is a bus full of tired travelers plying a well-defined route and schedule. Best to stay on the Skyway but still no assurances there.

Quoting airlineaddict (Reply 29):
Anyone have any renderings of the proposed positioning of an airport at Laguna Lake looks like? Last time I drove by there (over 5 years ago) there was a lot of fishing activity (fish farms)?

There's an image on the web of an airport superimposed on Talim Island in Laguna de Bay...but you get nothing when you click the 'View Image' button. Rumor has it that El Kapitan has an operating interest in the lake. Easiest way to build an airport there is to level the island's ridge by cut and fill and have the parallel runways running along its length. This would give the airfield better elevation in relation with the nearby mountains and protect it from perennial flooding. Problem is it wouldn't be properly oriented to take advantage of prevailing wind directions!...    ...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1EUBZ8SSR2M/UBOh3EUIYvI/AAAAAAAAKzU/6D0sAyiGBYo/s1600/Talim+Island+in+Laguna+de+Bay.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1EUBZ8SSR2.../Talim+Island+in+Laguna+de+Bay.jpg

airlineaddict

Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:24 am

Quoting Devilfish (Reply 31):
There's an image on the web of an airport superimposed on Talim Island in Laguna de Bay...but you get nothing when you click the 'View Image' button. Rumor has it that El Kapitan has an operating interest in the lake. Easiest way to build an airport there is to level the island's ridge by cut and fill and have the parallel runways running along its length. This would give the airfield better elevation in relation with the nearby mountains and protect it from perennial flooding. Problem is it wouldn't be properly oriented to take advantage of prevailing wind directions!...    ...

Thanks Devilfish! It looks like there are residents on the island. If this does go through, I'm sure the forced evictions will be a very lengthy process.

As for prevailing wind directions... do I see a future hotspot for crosswind landings?   

Devilfish

Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Quoting airlineaddict (Reply 32):
If this does go through, I'm sure the forced evictions will be a very lengthy process.

Actually, the Google airport image is over the water on the northwestern side of the island (near the gap with the mainland to the north).....

http://teakdoor.com/Gallery/albums/userpics/10238/talim_2.jpg
http://teakdoor.com/Gallery/albums/userpics/10238/talim_2.jpg

My 'easy' comment about putting the airport on top of the island was tongue-in-cheek. Moreover, the mountain on the southern tip is an 'extinct' volcano! It would be a logistical nightmare and you'd have to build a coastal highway literally to reach it from Metro Manila. Otherwise, it'd be like traveling to CRK. Unless they could acquire some expansive lakeshore fishponds east of Taguig/Paranaque.

airlineaddict

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:35 pm

Quoting Devilfish (Reply 33):
Unless they could acquire some expansive lakeshore fishponds east of Taguig/Paranaque.

That's what I was thinking... reclamation of the fishponds east of Taguig or Parañaque. If you build terminal access off Bicutan, it would be a short hike to the Skyway.

The question would then be where to put the runways/headings. Assuming you use MNL's runway 06-24 as the ideal heading, I don't know if there are terrain issues to the northeast (Angano/Binangonan)

Devilfish

Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:38 pm

CAPA analyzes PR's long-haul expansion when its A350XWB MoU is firmed-up and after those will have been delivered.....

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...leting-a350-900-acquisition-268000

Quote:
"Philippine Airlines (PAL) is planning significant expansion of its long haul operation as it takes delivery of new widebody aircraft, including A350-900s. PAL’s long haul fleet is slated to expand from only 12 aircraft currently to 14 by the end of 2016, and to at least 17 aircraft by mid-2019.

After several months of negotiations PAL has finally committed to acquiring at least six A350s, three of which are tentatively earmarked as growth aircraft. The new high gross weight A350-900s will enable PAL to operate nonstop flights to the east coast of North America, as well as to add capacity to the west coast of North America and to Europe.

The Philippine flag airline currently has six long haul destinations, only four of which are served nonstop from Manila. PAL plans to add new long haul destinations, upgrade one-stop routes to nonstop, and launch new long haul routes from its secondary hub at Cebu as it expands its long haul fleet."

Blog item with charts showing pax growth to destinations not currently served by Phillippine carriers from MNL... indicating potential new routes.....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.c...ggest-airline-biggest-unserve.html

http://www.anna.aero/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Manila-Airports-top-12-unserved-routes-1.png
http://www.anna.aero/wp-content/uplo...ports-top-12-unserved-routes-1.png

Devilfish

Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:57 pm

Now that it has been established that PAL will be getting a new 278T MTOW version of the A350-900, all that remain are the firming up of the order and delivery start in the first half of 2018.

However, another interesting part of the CAPA report is the planned renewal of 2P's domestic and short-haul regional fleet.....

Quote:
"PAL is now evaluating new turboprops from ATR and Bombardier, as well as regional jets from Bombardier and Embraer. PAL had meetings with all three manufacturers at the 2016 Singapore Airshow and is expected to make a selection by the end of 2016.

New turboprops will almost certainly be acquired as not all the domestic airports that PAL Express serves can accommodate jets. Regional jets are a possibility to supplement the turboprops on some existing domestic routes, and could potentially be used to launch new point-to-point domestic and regional international routes. However PAL may ultimately opt to acquire turboprops only, because the Philippine market, which is extremely price-sensitive with limited premium demand, may not provide sufficient yields to support smaller jets economically.

The recent report about a new 90-seat Q400NG now puts into doubt PR's previous preference for the 86-seater. Though a more intriguing question is whether they would be interested in the more expensive BBD CS100? CAPA already concluded that it's unlikely, but could a well-priced E190-E2 that has just been unveiled do the trick?    .....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Lucas M. Ulhôa

Meanwhile, QR is planning a resumption of flights to CEB.....

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...op-routes-to-cebu-and-hanoi-268399

This will certainly heat up competition there which could lead to a fare war.   

[Edited 2016-02-27 06:21:06]

Devilfish

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:45 pm

Nice stickers to celebrate PR's Diamond Jubilee this March...    ...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Yasu To
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gail Richard Snyder, III

A pity the A350s won't arrive in time to catch it. Still hoping for a retro liveried A340 though...   

Devilfish

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:26 pm

Quoting airlineaddict (Reply 34):
Assuming you use MNL's runway 06-24 as the ideal heading, I don't know if there are terrain issues to the northeast (Angano/Binangonan)

That's a moot issue. Here's a leap year message for all those anxious to start MNL's new international dream gateway.....

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/gov...le-for-rollout-of-sangley-airport/

Quote:
"The government, apparently, is not in a hurry despite the worsening aircraft and passenger congestion at the Naia.

[.....]

'For something as big as $10 billion or $15 billion, you have to do it right. You cant proceed without getting into every detail,' Abaya said. 'We are looking at a 10-year period, the feasibility study is still within the 2025 schedule.'

Under the draft pre-feasibility study submitted by Jica, the airport should be commercially operational by 2025, or some 10 years from now.

[.....]

But for aviation expert Avelino L. Zapanta, a former president of two local airlines, the solution to the mess at the main international gateway should also involve short-term goals.

'Sangley is a long-term solution, there’s no problem with that,' he said. 'It will take decades to be constructed and the government should see that our problem is right here and now. We need an immediate answer to the congestion.'

He referred to the Naia as a 'mess'. 'What I recommend is for us to pick the low-hanging fruits — meaning, we have to declare Clark International Airport as the main international gateway. This will free up Manila of at least a third of its flights,' Zapanta said.

[.....]

Philippine Airlines President Jaime J. Bautista has said that given the amount of time that the government needs to construct a new airport, it is but wiser to consider Clark first before Sangley.

'Sangley is a good plan. But it will take time, right? It will take about 10 to 15 years to be completed. In the meantime, let’s fix Clark first,' he said."

So, that is it in a nutshell. Yet, hope springs eternal.   

[Edited 2016-02-28 16:03:29]

scotron11

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:29 am

Quoting Devilfish (Reply 38):
'For something as big as $10 billion or $15 billion, you have to do it right. You cant proceed without getting into every detail,' Abaya said. 'We are looking at a 10-year period, the feasibility study is still within the 2025 schedule.'

Forgive me....but I cannot help but wonder how much of this money will actually be used for the airport...if ever....and how much will end up in the pockets of corrupt politicians / officials. $10-15 billion.....whee....many will be rubbing their hands to get on that bandwagon!

Devilfish

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:48 pm

Quoting scotron11 (Reply 39):

Not so fast.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...es-limit-asian-airlines-gr-422778/

http://www.philstar.com/business/201...ippines-eyes-more-foreign-carriers

Meanwhile, Alphaland is fielding a newly-acquired ATR72-500 to augment the first one on its Balesin Island Resort runs.....

http://business.inquirer.net/files/2016/03/balesin.jpg
http://business.inquirer.net/files/2016/03/balesin.jpg

View Large View Medium

Photo © Zaninger Jonathan
View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Havelaar

Devilfish

Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:33 pm

A step in the right direction.....

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/caa...-500-more-air-traffic-controllers/

However, there are distractions like this.....

http://www.buzzpinas.com/2016/03/01/...article-then-you-should-read-this/

But there're promising prospects as well.....

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/bcd...-for-clark-green-city-by-year-end/

Quote:
"A key component of this master plan is the Clark Rail Transit System, connecting Clark to Manila, whose project cost has already been tagged at a conservative $1.9 billion. 'The funding for the Tutuban to Malolos section has already been secured by the Department of Transportation and Communications, so we are now aggressively pursuing to build the Malolos to Clark line,' the BCDA head noted.

However, bright as these prospects are, officials from both BCDA and JOIN are keeping mum on the foreseen investments to be brought in by future joint-venture partnerships in developing the city."

Devilfish

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:57 am

Another positive development.....

http://www.philstar.com/business/201...-inks-law-easing-right-way-process

Quote:
"For property acquired via negotiated sale, the implementing government agency of the project must pay the owner fair compensation equivalent to the current market value of the land, costs of replacement of structure and improvements therein, as well as the value of crops and trees to be removed.

To determine the appropriate price offer, the implementing government agency may engage the services of a government financial institution or an independent property appraiser accredited by the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas.

The property owner is given 30 days to accept or refuse the government’s offer for payment.

If the land owner accepts the offer, the implementing agency will need to pay 50 percent of the negotiated price upon execution of a deed of sale.

The balance would be paid by the time the land title is transferred to the government.

Should the property owner decline the price offer, the implementing agency could initiate expropriation proceedings and take the matter to the proper court.

For informal settlers to be affected by the project, the government will have to establish resettlement sites.

To be able to acquire ROW site or location for infrastructure projects, the government will need to provide adequate appropriations.

The law takes effect 15 days after its publication in a newspaper of general circulation."

This should enable the Government to acquire properties in the vicinity of NAIA to make way for the vitally needed parallel runway and taxiway. It would also allow expeditious removal of the dilapidated PVH for Terminal 2's expansion. Problem is it may also make it easy for vested interests to advance their selfish agendas.

SEPilot

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:57 pm

I just was told by a friend who just returned from a missions trip to Dipolog that they are planning a new international airport for Mindanao. Does anyone have any information about it?

crownvic

Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:24 am

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3365

Sorry, but don't know how to hyper-link. Anyway, this site will keep you up on what most airport activity is happening in the Ph. It is mostly forums, but they segregate it by the different airports.

Devilfish

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:23 pm

Alleged factor in the non-development of Clark as a major alternate international gateway.....

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/aqu...ver-wanted-to-develop-clark-group/

And why it's imperative to develop Clark as the other linchpin in the dual gateway strategy to decongest MNL.....

http://www.philstar.com/business/201...3/14/1562628/it-will-have-be-clark

An insight into ATC woes.....

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/thi...-air-traffic-controllers-in-black/

Meanwhile, congratulations to PR on its Diamond Jubilee!!!    .....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jixWr5LNTf...05610867_7874888786592222363_n.png

.....Apparently, their corporate communications department do not think much of a retro-liveried A340.   

sassiciai

Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:18 pm

Maybe Clark can provide a viable solution eventually, after investment in all airport infrastructure.

At present, there is 1 runway, a "small" terminal, but f**k all access to the airport. I have never ever seen an airport with such primitive public transport facilities in the developing world. With the expansion of traffic (mostly international), there seems to have been 0 investment in public transport links. There is a bus service between Clark and SM Mall Ortigas! It is timetabled at about 6 round tripa a day, in a 60-seater coach! Half the scheduled buses fail to materialise

I once took a taxi from Manila to Clark (after the bus failed to turn up). Close to Clark airport, we were stopped at a checkpoint, and actually the Manila taxi was not allowed in to the area leading to the airport, as it is "reserved for local taxis"! We had to turn back, and drive into the horror of Angeles City, change taxi, and go again to the checkpoint and then the airport! What a clusterf**K of a situation! An international gateway!

Apart from the not-dependable bus, and the taxi situation, there are of course local alternatives, with jeepneys and even tricycles available for the "International Gateway user" to whisk him to the distant bus terminus in great comfort where once he works out the system and resists the con men all around, he can board an express bus into Manila! One hour +!

The only way to make Clark work is to build a very high speed train link from the heart of the Clark terminal complex (whatever that might mean there) straight into Manila, with stops in (at least) Makati, Ortigas, and NAIA T3). Resist building local stops for this link, or it will end up being a 3-hour journey and a train for all sorts of locals to/from Manila's market places

Devilfish

Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:04 am

Quoting sassiciai (Reply 46):
Maybe Clark can provide a viable solution eventually, after investment in all airport infrastructure.

And that's what they're saying.

An international gateway!

It's already doing that, albeit in a very limited way...it's only a reliever airport at present. You seem to have very high expectations for CRK now...should have used MNL instead (not much better though).

The only way to make Clark work is to build a very high speed train link from the heart of the Clark terminal complex (whatever that might mean there)

It means exactly that -- an uber expensive $10B proposition which will not pay its way, according to JICA.

Resist building local stops for this link, or it will end up being a 3-hour journey and a train for all sorts of locals to/from Manila's market places

The rail link has to serve the widest cross section of the population (after all, they're the ones paying for it) to be viable. A normal express train run from CRK at regular intervals can provide the more direct connection.

Meanwhile, for more pleasant news...AirSWIFT's new ATR42 has arrived to give passengers a much improved flying experience to ENI and other leisure destinations in the country...  ...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kit Stephen S. Agad - Aviation Photographers Philippines
View Large View Medium

Photo © OlivierG

[Edited 2016-03-20 03:12:16]

Devilfish

Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:15 pm

However, treatment of AirSWIFT's tailend livery above could be improved by removing the title from the rudder, putting the bird's split tail towards the tailcone, moving the flag higher up the vert stab, and lowering the registration to the light blue field aft of the door.

Quoting leo777 (Reply 27):
There was chatter about PAL coming back to ORD this year, anyone have updates?

They're looking at it along with a few others, but it may not be a priority and could take time.....

http://www.philippineflightnetwork.c...-us-destinations.html#comment-form

Quote:
"It is also believed that Philippine Airlines may be targeting another city in the eastern United States such as Chicago. However, the national flag carrier is currently awaiting the arrival of new long-range aircraft from Airbus, not scheduled to join the fleet until 2018."

View Large View Medium

Photo © Lance C Broad - YBBN Spotters Group

This after PR's inaugural CEB-LAX-CEB service.....

http://scontent.fmnl3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10474040_10153524687542825_792465488525547765_n.jpg?oh=21bea489c1c1d043865397f89d6ed39c&oe=578AC3C0
http://scontent.fmnl3-1.fna.fbcdn.ne...c1d043865397f89d6ed39c&oe=578AC3C0

For T2's expansion linked in #26, here's a photoshopped image of the extension towards Nayong Pilipino as viewed from T3 (I'd suggest addition of another arrival/departure hall near the end to prevent overcrowding).....

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/By1bNo3CcAAAl5a.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/By1bNo3CcAAAl5a.jpg:large

.....and the envisaged location of C5 connector to CAVITEX.....

http://d0ctrine.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img_5640.jpg
https://d0ctrine.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img_5640.jpg

copter808

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:54 am

Quoting sassiciai (Reply 3):
I departed through NAIA T3 on 2 February to HKG, and to my delight and surprise, the ominous departure tax collection desks were closed! I was 550PHP richer as a result!

It was probably added to your ticket price. So, you really didn't save anything.

This is what makes it one of the worst airports in the world for transferring between terminals. Makes it REALLY difficult for space-a travelers.

Shouldn't be all that difficult to fix if they had a shuttle on the airside that picked up and dropped off from the non-secure sides of the terminal.