Topic Author

Gol Airplane Catches Fire On Pushback

Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:42 am

News available in English:
http://www.airline.ee/gol-linhas-aer...g-737-engine-fire-during-pushback/

News available in portuguese:
http://g1.globo.com/hora1/noticia/20...olar-no-aeroporto-de-brasilia.html

No one was injured.
According to a passenger (portuguese news), everybody was kept inside the aircraft until the fire was contained.
Shouldn't they have evacuated the aircraft? Why leaving the passengers inside that "oven" with so much fuel on the wings?

aloges

RE: Gol Airplane Catches Fire On Pushback

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:50 am

Quoting WillianBH (Thread starter):
Shouldn't they have evacuated the aircraft?

According to the source in English, that's exactly what they did:

Quote:
GOL Linhas Aéreas says the 145 passengers on their way to Sao Paulo were evacuated safely and put on other flights.

That goes completely against the eyewitness.  
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

WillianBH
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:54 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 1):
According to the source in English, that's exactly what they did

They did, but only after the fire was contained, and looking at the pictures, seems it was done by the finger. Didn't see any emergency slides being deployed.

FredrikHAD

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:41 pm

Quoting WillianBH (Thread starter):
Shouldn't they have evacuated the aircraft?

With an external fire and at an airport, you have better odds surviving inside the aircraft than outside. This is true even if there's a massive fire under the fuselage, since the risk of evacuating into the flames are obvious. Rescue services are required to start cooling the fuselage and supressing flames within a certain time frame (180 sec normally) and that should be within the survivable timeframe for the persons inside. If the pilots were certain there was "only" an engine fire (compressor stall or similar?), the risks of evacuating are far more severe than staying inside. The only safe exit would have been the front left, and only after total spooldown of both engines. There was most probably a huge flame blowing rear from the engine and winds made it burn the side of the fuselage. Flames could easily have reached all rear exits, melting the slides and burning pax.

/Fredrik

TWA772LR

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:51 pm

In the English article, the no. 2 engine looks intact with the burns limited to the fuselage and underneath the wingbox. Could it have been a contained engine failure?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Aeroflot001

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:58 pm

A lot of conflicts. The GLOBO link says it was going to Congonhas, the English link says GRU, can anyone confirm?

winGl3t

Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:01 pm

Quoting Aeroflot001 (Reply 5):

It was flight G3 1415 from Brasilia to Congonhas

AirlineCritic

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:04 am

Happy that everyone is safe!

Quoting FredrikHAD (Reply 3):
With an external fire and at an airport, you have better odds surviving inside the aircraft than outside. This is true even if there's a massive fire under the fuselage, since the risk of evacuating into the flames are obvious. Rescue services are required to start cooling the fuselage and supressing flames within a certain time frame (180 sec normally) and that should be within the survivable timeframe for the persons inside. If the pilots were certain there was "only" an engine fire (compressor stall or similar?), the risks of evacuating are far more severe than staying inside. The only safe exit would have been the front left, and only after total spooldown of both engines. There was most probably a huge flame blowing rear from the engine and winds made it burn the side of the fuselage. Flames could easily have reached all rear exits, melting the slides and burning pax.

I get that.

But I would like to see video of the incident.

If this was a matter of seconds, and then the fire was out; fine. If they kept the passengers in there for long, I still think it would be a bad decision. You should be able to evacuate to the other side, for instance.

FredrikHAD

Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:01 pm

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 7):
You should be able to evacuate to the other side, for instance.

I agree partially, but if they knew this was not an actual engine fire, but a combustion flame, things are a lot less dangerous, right? If the engine as such had actually caught fire, then fuel would have been in direct danger of igniting. I'm sure someone here can enlighten us on the fire hazards in a real engine fire situation.

Normally, I'd like to have pax evacuated, but given that the engines were running and fire crew nearby (probably), they may have realized that waiting for the #1 engine to spool down and start evac on one single exit would take longer than for the fire trucks to arrive. In my opinion the only safe exit was the front right exit, and only after engine 1 complete stop.

/Fredrik

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos