ASFlyer
Topic Author

AS To Start 3x Daily SJC-SAN/SJC-SNA

Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:11 pm

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/alaska...ines-grows-san-jose-170000632.html

SEATTLE, Feb. 17, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Alaska Airlines today announced it will add two new routes from San Jose to Southern California starting June 5, 2016. The new, three-times daily nonstop service will connect Bay Area customers to Orange County/Santa Ana and San Diego. With this expansion, Alaska will operate 28 peak-day departures to 14 destinations from Norman Y. Mineta San José International Airport.

"These new routes will bring low fares and an elevated inflight experience to our California customers, offering convenient connections to popular leisure destinations in Mexico and Hawaii served by Alaska as well as to Beijing and London, served by our partner carriers Hainan Airlines and British Airways," said Andrew Harrison, Alaska Airlines' Chief Commercial Officer.

Alaska will fly the routes with 76-seat E175 jets, operated by SkyWest Airlines, which features 12 seats in first class, 12 seats in preferred class and 52 seats in the main cabin. The E175 boasts cabin dimensions on par with a 737. Onboard amenities include Wi-Fi Internet access, free and premium entertainment direct to customer devices, and in first class, 110 volt power in every seat and complimentary tablets. Food and beverage will include hot meals for purchase, sourced from iconic Pacific Northwest brands, in addition to microbrews and wine.

"I'd like to thank Alaska Airlines for choosing to expand service in Silicon Valley," said San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo. "Alaska's new flights speak to the strength of our local economy and will provide another convenient option for the many Silicon Valley residents who travel to Southern California for business and leisure. We look forward to helping facilitate Alaska's continued growth at SJC in the years ahead."

[Edited 2016-02-17 09:13:29]

32andBelow

RE: AS To Start 3x Daily SJC-SAN/SJC-SNA

Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:23 pm

Are there current PDX/SEA-> SJC frequencies on the E175 or will that need to be added as well?

lindy field

Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:46 pm

Great announcement. I wish Alaska lots of success on these routes and look forward to seeing the 175s at SJC and SAN.

Prost

Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:46 pm

Alaska has been fairly clear that they plan on diversifying their route network, it's nice seeing some flights like this added. I'll be interested to see how additional E175s will change their route map.

mikesairways

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:02 pm

Awesome news - these routes will do great. These have been overdue for a long time.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

Tomassjc

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:02 pm

Nice to see our home airport getting some more love! A welcome addition against the monopoly that Southwest has held for years.

Tomas SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

chrisair

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:16 pm

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 5):
A welcome addition against the monopoly that Southwest has held for years.

3x/day won't make a huge dent on the WN stranglehold at SJC. It'll be nice to have a choice, however.

Didn't AS fly SJC-SNA many years ago? I know they had OAK-SNA, but I seem to recall SJC-SNA. I know they used to have a fairly decent network to SoCal from the Bay Area: LGB, ONT, PSP and BUR from SJC.

lhpdx

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:20 pm

Great new SJC! Maybe AS wants to build SJC into a focus city.........

dc10lover

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:28 pm

Maybe the routes will go 737 some time into the future.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

threeifbyair

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 5):
Nice to see our home airport getting some more love! A welcome addition against the monopoly that Southwest has held for years.

Makes sense. I can see AS launching some more of these WN-monopoly routes.

Quoting chrisair (Reply 6):
Didn't AS fly SJC-SNA many years ago? I know they had OAK-SNA, but I seem to recall SJC-SNA. I know they used to have a fairly decent network to SoCal from the Bay Area: LGB, ONT, PSP and BUR from SJC.

I wonder if BUR will get some AS-OO service.

I feel like there is some decent potential for more intra-California routes. WN has been strong in the larger markets, but with E175s AS can get into thinner markets. Maybe SBA gets something.

SANFan

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:12 pm

Great for all 3 airports involved!

This also takes SAN up to 17 destinations with about 28 daily departures!

I've hoped for a long time, especially since AS pulled their SJC-LAX service, that they would instead try SJC-SAN; it's a natural route for them.

My only question is that I thought AS only had 2 new slots for OO adds at SNA. Did that change? Or has there been some adjustment somehow?

Quoting lindy field (Reply 2):
Great announcement. I wish Alaska lots of success on these routes and look forward to seeing the 175s at SJC and SAN.

I've been anxiously awaiting some news from AS regarding rumored new service at SAN! This is terrific.

AAG has sat by and watched WN come in and compete on 3 of AS's SAN routes -- MCO, SEA, PDX -- and I'm very happy to see AS finally returning the favor!

Who knows, we might also see SAN-OAK at some point flown by Chester!

BTW Lindy, AS's online skeds are showing the E175 also flying from SAN to BOI and SLC beginning July 1. I have a feeling we might be seeing a lot more of them as 2016 goes on.

bb

steex

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:21 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 1):

Are there current PDX/SEA-> SJC frequencies on the E175 or will that need to be added as well?

There are not currently, but AS will be adding a fifth daily PDX-SJC flight on the E75 at the same time.

psa1011

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:22 pm

OAK needs some AS service to SoCal, as the AS/DL relationship won't last forever.

Coronado990

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:31 pm

It would be nice to see AS expand even further from SJC into the SoCal market and go somewhere WN can't touch such as CLD (Carlsbad-Palomar). The Q-400 and E-175 are just right for that airport.
We're up.

Tomassjc

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:04 pm

Didn't AS fly SJC-SNA many years ago? I know they had OAK-SNA, but I seem to recall SJC-SNA. I know they used to have a fairly decent network to SoCal from the Bay Area: LGB, PSP and BUR from SJC.

I don't believe that AS ever operated SJC-SNA. After the JetAmerica acquisition, there was quite a bit of AS service Bay Area-SoCal, as you mentioned above (BUR, LGB) PSP came later from SFO and also off and on from SJC, as did OAK-SNA.

Slightly off topic, is anyone on here old enough to remember CO's 727-200s on BUR-SJC-PDX-SEA in the 70s with various routings and stops?

Tomas SJC

[Edited 2016-02-17 12:05:03]
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

SANFan

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:13 pm

Quoting Coronado990 (Reply 13):
It would be nice to see AS expand even further from SJC into the SoCal market and go somewhere WN can't touch such as CLD (Carlsbad-Palomar). The Q-400 and E-175 are just right for that airport.

Wouldn't it be great to see a few Qs a day from CLD to the various Bay Area airports? (And why not LAX while they're at it?!)

I think the first F/C service between SAN and SJC will be very well received. I'm sure there are more than a few commuters flying that city-pair frequently who can and will take advantage of the added comfort up front.

Also, I like the schedules - first and last flights exactly 12 hours apart & a third in between. Good times for one day round trips in both directions.

I'll revise my earlier remark to the fact that AAG will, beginning June 5, operate 29+ daily flights from SAN and will RON 9+ a/c here every night. Both are new high water marks for AAG ops at Lindbergh Field!

(And I personally don't think they're done yet...)

bb

SurfandSnow

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:18 pm

Interesting that AS sees new international partner services and its own p2p operations as a means to help routes like these. WN may no longer be considered the invincible juggernaut, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them announce nonstop LAX-SEA flights tomorrow now! Even so, I've long thought there could be opportunities for a second carrier on WN's busier intra-California monopoly routes like these. Not everyone thinks highly of WN; some people really do value things like assigned seats, food, F, Y+, and FFer miles that can take you overseas...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

RJNUT

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:34 pm

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 16):
Not everyone thinks highly of WN; some people really do value things like assigned seats, food, F, Y+, and FFer miles that can take you

or that can connect you to overseas! I found it interesting they even mentioned that in their presser , BA and HU both!

hiflyeras

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:51 pm

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them announce nonstop LAX-SEA flights tomorrow now

Doubtful...with AA and NK recently adding SEA-LAX there's more than needed capacity between AS, DL, AA, VX, NK and (still barely hanging on) UA..

whatusaid

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Good to see this happen for SAN and SJC.

OO was to have taken delivery of 4 175's in the 1st half of 2016 and another 6 in the second half according to Skywest's last financial report. Other than BOI-SAN and SLC-SAN, most of the 175s have thus far been been mostly dedicated to new markets. Is there any more detail as to whether today's announcement ties up the last of the 1st half deliveries or are we now into the 2nd half deliveries? BUR, FAT, SBA, YEG, and COS are CRJ700 markets due for upgrades or temporary downgrades to Q's. There's definitely more to come from AS before the year is out.

chrisair

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:32 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 15):
I'll revise my earlier remark to the fact that AAG will, beginning June 5, operate 29+ daily flights from SAN and will RON 9+ a/c here every night. Both are new high water marks for AAG ops at Lindbergh Field!

Great. And their awful, dilapidated terminal will be even worse. Flew through there a few weeks ago and it was worse than WN. Didn't think that was possible.

Not everyone thinks highly of WN; some people really do value things like assigned seats, food, F, Y+, and FFer miles that can take you overseas...

Not sure how much "food" they'll serve on these flights. Doubt anything more than the snack packs/fruit cheese will be for sale. At least that's what QX did on the SJC-LAX flights.

Sydscott

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:08 pm

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 9):
Makes sense. I can see AS launching some more of these WN-monopoly routes.

I'm actually surprised they didn't jump into SJC-LAS like Delta has.

Quoting SANFan (Reply 10):
AAG has sat by and watched WN come in and compete on 3 of AS's SAN routes -- MCO, SEA, PDX -- and I'm very happy to see AS finally returning the favor!

I'm still waiting for the SEA & SAN to IND announcement. I'd be willing to bet that if AS did that WN would jump onto SAN-IND as well.

My only question is that I thought AS only had 2 new slots for OO adds at SNA. Did that change? Or has there been some adjustment somehow?

I assume there is a change in frequency on the SEA and/or PDX runs which could make sense considering the number of 737-900ER's coming into the fleet. So any adjustment in flights could be made up capacity wise to allow for the SJC add at SNA. I also thought they had 1 additional slot pair allocated over and above the 2 new slot pairs for OO.

georgiabill

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:13 pm

Hoping AS will fly SJC-BOS give B6 a little competition.

dc10lover

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:37 pm

My dream but i wish Alaska came to Denver big time and made a hub in Denver . They can easily be the 2nd largest airline at Denver.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

SANFan

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:52 pm

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 21):
I'm still waiting for the SEA & SAN to IND announcement. I'd be willing to bet that if AS did that WN would jump onto SAN-IND as well.

The way AS usually schedules their flts between the west coast and Midwest/east coast stations, they would need one a/c (presumably mainline) for each route. That's a good sized commitment for AAG to start IND-service. But I think a good one, which I hope they are willing to do.

I continue to think that it is really just a matter of (little) time before either AS or WN jumps into both markets. (Or maybe they'll go the amiable way, with AS taking SEA and WN going with SAN...)

Regarding SJC, it looks to me like AS will probably up-gauge their r/t to SLC from a Q to an E as that would fit in very nicely with the new SJC schedules released today -- turning from the 10:05am arrival in SJC from SNA, & being back in SJC for the 4:20p departure to SAN. That would pretty well complete the turn schedule for today's announced flights.

bb

32andBelow

Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:01 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 24):
AS will probably up-gauge their r/t to SLC from a Q to an E as that would fit in very nicely with the new SJC schedules released today

Upgauge? I guess it will have first class, but will average fare be higher?

SANFan

Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:08 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 25):
I guess it will have first class, but will average fare be higher?

I have no idea if the fares change when a flight is changed from a Q to a CRJ or an E but I wouldn't think so.

It seems to me that SJC-SLC is the ideal stage length for AAG routes that are expected to be 'upgraded' from Qs to the E, as per discussions on several threads here recently.

bb

flyoregon

Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:27 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 15):

Just curious, how many RON's at AS's largest stations?

RWA380

Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:55 am

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 14):
Slightly off topic, is anyone on here old enough to remember CO's 727-200s on BUR-SJC-PDX-SEA in the 70s with various routings and stops?

Yes, I remember flying the 727's with the golden tail, I also flew AS PDX-SFO-LGB, ONT-BUR-PDX, SNA-OAK-PDX so they have had a few intra California routes in the past.

This also takes SAN up to 17 destinations with about 28 daily departures!

I thought of Thomas & Yourself when I saw this news, congrats to two more cities in the AS family with their additions, may all these adds do well.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

wedgetail737

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:48 am

Good to see AS starting SJC-SAN and SJC-SNA service. How well will the E-175 compete against the WN 737-700's? Hopefully the service isn't a fleeting moment.

mtnwest1979

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:51 am

Quoting DC10LOVER (Reply 23):
They can easily be the 2nd largest airline at Denver.

How, by ramping up to 200 flights/day? I would highly doubt they would ever be 2nd there.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

flySFO

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:54 am

Will AS need to get some more gates at SJC with the addition of these new flights? Looks like only 1 gate is needed to support the new flights, and 1 RON.

I believe they current use 25-28 plus 1 of 16-18 at times for Mexico arrivals?

Sydscott

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:15 am

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 29):
Good to see AS starting SJC-SAN and SJC-SNA service. How well will the E-175 compete against the WN 737-700's? Hopefully the service isn't a fleeting moment.

Both routes are actually marked on the Alaska Airlines route map as "seasonal service". Does that mean they are for summer season only?

lhpdx

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:30 am

Yes these are both seasonal only service............

MarcoPoloWorld

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:10 am

Seem like dead-end routes... Secondary airports, no alliance, no network, and virtually no connectivity at either end.... Those would have to carry almost exclusively O&D.

SANFan

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:21 am

Quoting lhpdx (Reply 33):
Yes these are both seasonal only service............

Source please? 'Cause I don't think you're correct.

First, there's no reason that either of these routes should be seasonal.

Second, the online sked's go thru early January of 2017 and all the new flights are listed throughout.

And third, I sure don't see any mention of seasonality mentioned in the pr.

bb

[Edited 2016-02-17 19:23:58]

lhpdx

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:22 am

Look on the AS website.....Maybe your right and AS is wrong............

lhpdx

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:23 am

Portland (PDX) - Atlanta (ATL) June 4, 2016 – August 27, 2016 1x daily (seasonal)
San Jose (SJC) - San Diego (SAN) June 5, 2016 3x daily (seasonal)
San Jose (SJC) - Orange County (SNA) June 5, 2016 3x daily (seasonal)

SANFan

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:34 am

Quoting lhpdx (Reply 37):
San Jose (SJC) - San Diego (SAN) June 5, 2016 3x daily (seasonal)
San Jose (SJC) - Orange County (SNA) June 5, 2016 3x daily (seasonal)

My apologies to you lh'. You are right that it does say that on the Route Map page.

That being said, there is definitely a conflict within the AS website and I'm going with the Route Map listings being in error. (I expect it will be corrected soon.)

I would be very surprised if these new SJC-routes end up being seasonal.

bb

hiflyeras

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:52 am

Nothing in the press release indicated that these new routes are seasonal. Whoever updated the AS website has apparently messed up.

AirFiero

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:04 am

Aren't the regional jets exempt from slots?

AirFiero

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:06 am

Quoting Coronado990 (Reply 13):

What California Pacific would have been?

AirFiero

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:08 am

Yes! They marketed it as "Continental West", with crazy low fares like $19 each way. I flew that to LAX with a girlfriend once.

SANFan

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:30 am

Quoting AirFiero (Reply 40):
Aren't the regional jets exempt from slots?

I don't think so.

bb

wedgetail737

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:35 am

Quoting AirFiero (Reply 42):
Yes! They marketed it as "Continental West", with crazy low fares like $19 each way. I flew that to LAX with a girlfriend once.

Continental West used 733's while they were around. However, HP put up a fuss on the "Continental West" name and sued Continental to drop the
name on the basis that it sound too similar to "America West." However, the SJC-LAX service continued with DC-9-30's. That's when I flew the SJC-LAX
route.

SANFan

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:39 am

Quoting hiflyeras (Reply 39):
Whoever updated the AS website has apparently messed up

It also appears they got the start date wrong. All 6 flights -- per the booking engine as well as the online skeds -- appear to begin on Wed., 6/8/16, and not the 5th.

Looks like someone was in a hurry to get the info posted a.s.a.p.

bb

AirFiero

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:47 am

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 44):
However, HP put up a fuss on the "Continental West" name and sued Continental to drop the
name on the basis that it sound too similar to "America West."

I wasn't aware of that. My understanding was, it was a temporary marketing thing.

Tomassjc

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:54 am

Quoting flySFO (Reply 31):
Will AS need to get some more gates at SJC with the addition of these new flights? Looks like only 1 gate is needed to support the new flights, and 1 RON.

I believe they current use 25-28 plus 1 of 16-18 at times for Mexico arrivals?

Gate 14 will be an AS Gate starting in June. Gates 16, 17 and 18 are in use for RONS and early morning departures in addition to the Mexico arrivals in the afternoon.

Quoting AirFiero (Reply 42):

No, I'm talking waaaaay before Continental West in the early 70s. Pure Continental Proud Bird with the Golden Tail.....

Tomas SJC

AirFiero

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:00 am

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 47):

Tomas SJC

Oooh. I don't remember that.

BoeingGuy

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:16 am

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 47):
No, I'm talking waaaaay before Continental West in the early 70s. Pure Continental Proud Bird with the Golden Tail.....

Tom is correct. CO flew 727-100s on a routing something like SEA-PDX-SJC-BUR-ONT back in the 1970s.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos