RWA380

RE: AS To Start 3x Daily SJC-SAN/SJC-SNA

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:40 am

Quoting AirFiero (Reply 42):
Yes! They marketed it as "Continental West", with crazy low fares like $19 each way. I flew that to LAX with a girlfriend once.

Continental West was a totally different animal.

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 47):
No, I'm talking waaaaay before Continental West in the early 70s. Pure Continental Proud Bird with the Golden Tail.....
Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 49):
Tom is correct. CO flew 727-100s on a routing something like SEA-PDX-SJC-BUR-ONT back in the 1970s.

Here you go:

1971: http://www.departedflights.com/CO103171.html
http://www.departedflights.com/CO103171p12.html

1978: http://www.departedflights.com/CO043078.html
http://www.departedflights.com/CO043078p8.html
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

caflyboy

Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:20 am

Hi all, I've been a fan for years (decades?) and have finally decided to post something!
Just wondering if this is a move to get closer yet with AA and the former SJC hub from both OC and QQ and all the potential AA flyers in Silicon Valley? Great to see AS expanding on the west coast into some new markets with the right aircraft. Just wondering if they are using the leverage of AA to build more out of SJC? Seems like DL got the jump on LAS and now AS is tapping into the other former AA markets.

Speaking of, what were the strongest AA markets out of SJC that currently are monopolized by one carrier that AS could stick some capacity on, create some synergy in SJC and tap into an AA flyer base?

Now if they would do a MRY to the PNW...

PlanesNTrains

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:36 am

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 9):
I wonder if BUR will get some AS-OO service.

Well, I'd enjoy seeing SJC-BUR/TUS/PSP (the latter two seasonal, and possibly flown and I'm just not aware). BUR-SMF might be an interesting through flight from SEA/PDX as well.  
Quoting DC10LOVER (Reply 23):
My dream but i wish Alaska came to Denver big time and made a hub in Denver . They can easily be the 2nd largest airline at Denver.

Enjoyable to "weed" through your post, as that's what you'd have to be smoking to believe that'll ever happen.  

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

chrisair

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:45 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 52):
Well, I'd enjoy seeing SJC-BUR/TUS/PSP

They flew SJC/SFO-TUS once before. I'd love to see that come back again. Same goes for the E175 on the PDX-TUS route.

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 47):
Gate 14 will be an AS Gate starting in June.

AS has the worst gate set up at SJC: it'd be great if they could consolidate the gates. One morning you leave from 26, and the next you leave from 16. They have it weird there.

olddominion727

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:14 pm

maybe they'll bring back SJC-AUS with the E175??

theSFOspotter

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:25 pm

Does anyone else think this is a waste of aircraft? Those are routes that WN is strong out of in all 3 of the bay area airports. I don't think SJC is a big enough market to have 3 daily. 1 daily would make more sense than adding frequencies. With LH pushing back their SJC launch date, I don't see a bright future for SJC.
Q-400 A319 A320 B737-300/400/700/800/900ER B757-200/300 B787-8

SANFan

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:20 pm

Quoting theSFOspotter (Reply 55):
Does anyone else think this is a waste of aircraft?

Not at all. I think the routes will do quite well, especially with Es on the route.

Speaking (only) of the SJC-SAN service, it is connecting 2 of AS's largest non-hub stations (I would term both as 'focus' cities even though AS seems to use that term only for SJC so far) with year-round PDEW of 800-900. WN has served the market for years, uncontested, with their 737 fleet, 9-10x daily. The last competition in the market was late summer of 2009, before Eagle pulled out of the route.

Both SJC and SAN have apparently been targeted by AAG for growth so, given the above numbers, what could be more natural than connect them. Three daily year-round r/t on E175s is a perfect start and I really wouldn't be surprised to see that increase at some point.

bb

PlanesNTrains

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:33 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 53):
They flew SJC/SFO-TUS once before. I'd love to see that come back again. Same goes for the E175 on the PDX-TUS route.

Ya, I flew TUS-SJC-SEA once on QX/AS, but it'd been years.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

flySFO

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:43 pm

AS has the worst gate set up at SJC: it'd be great if they could consolidate the gates. One morning you leave from 26, and the next you leave from 16. They have it weird there.

AS needs the occasional international arrival, WN doesn't. So AS should give 25-28 to WN in exchange for 19-22. Then AS will have 14-22, with 14, 19-22 being full-time AS, 15-18 being used for AS international arrivals, other international flights, and domestic AS flights. WN shouldn't have an issue getting 23-28 since they keep their 6 gates and move even closer to the security checkpoint / exit.

SANFan

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:43 pm

FYI, AS's Route Map page has been corrected to eliminate the 'seasonal' tag on both new routes, and the start date now reads "June 8".

Thank you Alaska folks.

bb

lhpdx

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:45 pm

How funny......Look like you were right after all SanFan..Congrats again.......

Tomassjc

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:27 pm

As long as WN rules the roost, and seemingly gets whatever they want and need from SJC, it won't happen.

I always thought it would be great for AS to consolidate to the 5 gates in the "rotunda" at the end of A. But bag delivery is an issue. All those bags have to travel along way underneath the street to make the 20 minute bag guarantee, yet DL seems to do it.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

alasizon

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:51 pm

Quoting MarcoPoloWorld (Reply 34):

Seem like dead-end routes... Secondary airports, no alliance, no network, and virtually no connectivity at either end.... Those would have to carry almost exclusively O&D.

The only dead end side of this is SNA.

SAN has a good handful of markets including Hawaii. SJC has quite a few less connecting markets but does have Hawaii too.

I agree it will be a lot of O&D but it is another option versus Southwest and gives fliers who like AS an option to choose them
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

32andBelow

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:10 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 62):
The only dead end side of this is SNA.

SAN has a good handful of markets including Hawaii. SJC has quite a few less connecting markets but does have Hawaii too.

I agree it will be a lot of O&D but it is another option versus Southwest and gives fliers who like AS an option to choose them

I mean we are talking about find 76 people at a time between the largest population centers in CA. It should be possible good recognition, pricing, and product.

travelin man

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:21 pm

Yeah the O&D is huge between SoCal and NoCal. Connections will play a very minuscule part in this equation, and I bet there are enough passengers who want their AA (or DL or AS) miles that these flights will be pretty full.

It's interesting that Southwest recently started SoCal to PNW non-stop routes (AS' bread and butter), and now it seems AS is responding with intra-CA routes (WN's bread and butter).

32andBelow

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:27 pm

Quoting travelin man (Reply 64):
It's interesting that Southwest recently started SoCal to PNW non-stop routes (AS' bread and butter), and now it seems AS is responding with intra-CA routes (WN's bread and butter).

It should also be noted that WN is adding more and more big planes and AS is adding more small planes.

yeelep

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:20 pm

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 27):
Just curious, how many RON's at AS's largest stations?

SEA will have between the low 40's to low 50's, last night they had 44.

hiflyeras

Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:39 am

alaskaair.com route map/new route information has been corrected. Service begins June 8th and is not seasonal.

BoeingGuy

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:00 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 57):

Ya, I flew TUS-SJC-SEA once on QX/AS, but it'd been years.

AS started SJC-TUS on 737s sometime around 2001 or 2002. The 737 service was very short lived. Then SJC-TUS was operated by QX CR7s for a few years. There were two a day. Somewhere along that time period, they also added SFO-TUS on a QX CR7. I forget exactly when this was discontinued, but maybe around 2005 or so.

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 52):
Well, I'd enjoy seeing SJC-BUR/TUS/PSP (the latter two seasonal, and possibly flown and I'm just not aware).

AS has indeed flown SJC-PSP in the past. For many years it was a seasonal main-line AS flight. Then it was discontinued. About 4 years ago, AS brought it back for one season with a QX CR7, but then it hasn't returned since that I'm aware of.

I've posted many times on A.net that I'd like to see AS start SJC-SNA, even if it's just a Q400. I personally have sisters in both SJC and SNA who fly back and forth a lot for family stuff. With AA cutting SJC-SNA and B6 cutting SJC-LGB, that left WN with a monopoly. Good to see AS jumping in and giving some competition and a choice to passengers flying that route.

BoeingGuy

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:06 pm

Quoting theSFOspotter (Reply 55):
Does anyone else think this is a waste of aircraft? Those are routes that WN is strong out of in all 3 of the bay area airports. I don't think SJC is a big enough market to have 3 daily. 1 daily would make more sense than adding frequencies. With LH pushing back their SJC launch date, I don't see a bright future for SJC.

Isn't this a bit over-dramatized and a "sky is falling" kind of post? LH, who was totally unexpected and probably poorly planned to start SJC, and was likely a knee-jerk reaction to BA starting SJC-LHR, is pushing back their launch date. Therefor, SJC doesn't have a bright future?

NH is doing well at SJC. HU is at least fairly full, although we don't know about the yields. I'm sure BA will do well, similar to how AUS is doing. AS is expanding there. Hopefully, SJC will get back some more transcontinental flights.

I'd hardly say that SJC doesn't have a bright future. It's also a very convenient airport to get to right in the middle of a highly populated and affluent area with a lot of high tech business.

Sydscott

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:45 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 65):
It should also be noted that WN is adding more and more big planes and AS is adding more small planes.

LOL AS is adding more and more of all sizes. There are 19 737-900ER's coming into the fleet this year along with the regional jets.

Noise

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:05 am

Here's hoping we'll one day see SJC-RDU nonstop like we did when Midway still existed.

yeelep

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:25 am

Quoting sydscott (Reply 70):
LOL AS is adding more and more of all sizes. There are 19 737-900ER's coming into the fleet this year along with the regional jets.

Those planes aren't only for expansion. There are up to eleven 737-400's leaving the fleet this year, as well as the three -700's that are being converted to freighters.

BoeingGuy

Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:47 am

Quoting Noise (Reply 71):
Here's hoping we'll one day see SJC-RDU nonstop like we did when Midway still existed.

That was very short lived IIRC. AA also announced SJC-RDU but never started it.

But yes, it will be interesting to see what, if any, more expansion AS has planned from SJC. They've added a number of cities in the past several years, but also later discontinued several that were added: AUS, LAX, GEG, PSP.

I could see AS making a go of AUS, TUS, PVR, PSP, ABQ, FLL, RDU, EWR, BOS, GEG and maybe MEX (if they return to MEX) from SJC. PSP and PVR would probably be seasonal.

chrisair

Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:13 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 68):

AS started SJC-TUS on 737s sometime around 2001 or 2002. The 737 service was very short lived. Then SJC-TUS was operated by QX CR7s for a few years. There were two a day. Somewhere along that time period, they also added SFO-TUS on a QX CR7. I forget exactly when this was discontinued, but maybe around 2005 or so.

I forgot all about mainline flying the SJC-TUS route. They started SJC-TUS (along with SEA-TUS) in 2000. I flew the evening SJC flight many times. It was a great way to get to PDX before the nonstop started (and much better timing).

They switched the MD-80 for the CR7 in 2002, right when QX started the PDX nonstop. That nonstop lasted a year, then switched to PDX-SFO-TUS and TUS-SJC-PDX routings.

They pulled back one SJC flight and discontinued SFO in spring 2004, then dropped the second SJC flight in the summer.

AS has been at 1x/day ever since, with occasional (poorly timed) second flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos