Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Indy
Topic Author

MLB Airport Question

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:04 pm

I don't know how I ended up there but I ended up on MLB's airport website. It appears as if the airport has just a single DL flights. Is that correct? The airport appears to struggle mightily to keep any kind of service. The location, in my opinion, is poor. Because of traffic even a short drive to the airport can take some time. Is there even a point to keeping the existing location? Would MLB be better off building a new airport away from the city and selling off the real estate where the current airport is located? Keeping service has been a problem at MLB for decades now.
IND to RDU to OKC in 18 months. This is what my life has become.

FlyPNS1

RE: MLB Airport Question

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:07 pm

MLB has American service to CLT as well. The reason they suffer is mostly because of their proximity to MCO. Moving the airport somewhere else won't help much.

Indy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:33 pm

Sanford is closer and does better. Melbourne and Daytona are about equal distance. Drive time according to Google is 1 minute difference. So proximity to Orlando isn't the issue. Something else is a factor. As a former Melbourne resident I can tell you the drive is bad. The location is undesirable. Is that the big reason? Who knows. But it certainly has to be a factor. Maybe proximity is an issue and location is the straw that broke the camels back.

KPWMSpotter

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:02 am

Melbourne (MLB) is a small regional airport, however they have plenty of service for their size:

4-5x daily Delta to ATL
3x daily American to CLT
2x weekly Elite Airways to PWM
2x weekly Elite Airways to APF

A change in location would hardly create additional demand; central Florida is already well served via MCO, SFB, DAB, and to a lesser extend FLL to the south. MCO and SFB are less than an hour drive from most of the Melbourne metro area.

Melbourne serves a niche market for the Space Coast and cruise ship traffic; were it not for these two attractions, Melbourne likely wouldn't see any airline service. Building a new airport is an extremely expensive proposition; hardly a smart investment for a region already well served by larger and well established airports.
I reject your reality and substitute my own...

Viscount724

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:14 am

Quoting KPWMSpotter (Reply 3):
Melbourne (MLB) is a small regional airport, however they have plenty of service for their size:

4-5x daily Delta to ATL
3x daily American to CLT
2x weekly Elite Airways to PWM
2x weekly Elite Airways to APF

And Porter's once-a-week (Saturday only) Q400 seasonal nonstop from Toronto (YTZ), from December 19 to April 30.

DeltaRules

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:21 am

DAB is in a similar boat as MLB with 4-5 daily to ATL on DL, 3-4 daily to CLT on AA, and a daily flight to JFK on B6. Both suffer as a result of MCO. Even the terminals have a similar feel, with MLB's being notably more dated and in need of a refresh.

Still, both are preferable to the aesthetically-pleasing zoo MCO can be.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

beefstew25

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:30 am

For business travel MLB is awesome compared to the kid zoo that is MCO. Easy security and parking etc. Hell, free refills on coffee. Fast wifi. And for an unknown period you can eyeball 4 ex Transaero 744's.
MLB

Flaps

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:30 am

Quoting DeltaRules (Reply 5):

Still, both are preferable to the aesthetically-pleasing zoo MCO can be.

Absolutely. I much prefer both MLB and DAB to MCO and for business travel (or really any travel to that area) unless I'm actually going to Orlando itself I choose these two over MCO.

Indy
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:18 pm

So when MLB was listing just one flight that info was wrong. I used to like flying out of MCO but that place has become a terrible location for departing flights. TSA is a wreck there.

FlyPNS1

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:36 pm

Quoting Indy (Reply 2):
Sanford is closer and does better. Melbourne and Daytona are about equal distance. Drive time according to Google is 1 minute difference. So proximity to Orlando isn't the issue.

Sanford basically has Allegiant and a bunch of charter carriers. They have NO service from any major network carrier...LCC or legacy. And Sanford's primary purpose is just to be another gateway to all the attractions in Orlando.

Daytona suffers the same way as MLB. They each have very similar amounts of capacity. However, DAB has managed to woo B6 to give them one flight. Daytona loses most of it's traffic to MCO (and to a lesser extent SFB), just like MLB does.

Rage

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:51 pm

MLB is my home town airport.

It is funny that growing up, I drooled to go over to MCO to see the variety and exotic carriers. One distinct memory was of my dad puling me out of school on "special occasions" to watch historic aviation events there. I was there when the B-52 landed that is now on display on the north side of the field, as well as when two Concorde's landed simultaneously on the parallel runways.

I went to flight school in Sanford and it seemed overnight that it went from a sleepy little ex-Navy base full of 152's to "holding short" for several wide bodies departing nearly overnight.

Now that I am grown with a new family of my own, I drool over flying out of MLB for the simplicity, ease, and laid back atmosphere. I GLADLY pay the MLB prices to avoid the MCO headache.

Don't get me wrong though, I have found myself coming full circle by bringing my children to MCO for the "self titled" historic aviation events.

Italianflyer

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:58 pm

I find it interesting that MLB markets itself as ORLANDO-Melbourne International airport.

xpfg

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:53 pm

Quoting Indy (Reply 8):
So when MLB was listing just one flight that info was wrong. I used to like flying out of MCO but that place has become a terrible location for departing flights. TSA is a wreck there.

Yes, quite wrong, and they have all mainline service on DL, with some being 757 at certain times of year.

MLB flights stay pretty full overall between AA and DL. Can't say I know much about the Porter flights to Canada loads wise right now.

Quoting Italianflyer (Reply 11):
I find it interesting that MLB markets itself as ORLANDO-Melbourne International airport.

Why? It's marketing. Makes sense...Port Canaveral is right there for Disney Cruise traffic, and Orlando isn't too far away drive wise. It's the same effect of Allegiant marketing SFB as "Daytona" at times.

Italianflyer

Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:58 am

I understand the marketing angle, I just find it interesting. Brevard County is home to over 500K....rather than calling it Melbourne-Port Canaveral Intl they went with a city appx. 70 miles away. Would be lIke DAY marketing itself as Northside Cincinnati/Dayton Cox Intl. Airport.

teneriffe77

Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:59 am

They should Change the name to Melbourne-Canaveral International airport as more people know about Cape Canaveral than Melbourne florida.

bjorn14

Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:14 pm

Quoting teneriffe77 (Reply 14):

Yep. I always thought Melbourne/Cape Canaveral or Space Coast would be nice.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

mi5flyer

Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:34 am

Airline traffic at MLB is largely driven by the aerospace/defense industry firms on and adjacent to the airport. Embraer has an assembly plant where they make the Phenom on the north side. Harris, NG and I think Boeing all have a significant presence in the immediate area. The upgrade list on DL flights from ATL can be staggering. The airport management seems to be trying to attract more intl./seasonal service (Porter) but I'm not sure how that's going.

MCO is connected to Port Caneveral by the 528 and is arguably a lot easier to reach than MLB as there are no stoplights to deal with.

JBAirwaysFan

Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:38 pm

Quoting mi5flyer (Reply 16):
MCO is connected to Port Caneveral by the 528 and is arguably a lot easier to reach than MLB as there are no stoplights to deal with.

MLB is also much further east from I-95 than DAB, which could arguably put DAB in a better position to serve Port Canaveral as well since they are much closer to I-95 which also connects to 528. DAB to Port Canaveral is less than an hour as well.
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

squrt29

Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:38 pm

Keep in mind that Elite Airways flies scheduled flights from there and maintains their aircraft there. They are acquiring new aircraft and routes, though I'm not sure I'd hold my breath to see MLB become an Elite Airways hub....

vjzalb

Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:47 pm

MLB is extremely convienent if you need to be in central-coastal FL versus MCO and then taking 528 and the dreaded I-95 to get to Melbourne.

Irony: LiveTV has its headquarters in MLB and services UA and B6...neither airline flies to MLB  

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos