fishmeal
Topic Author

Pope's Flight To Rome

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:51 am

I just watched the Pope's flight from Juarez to Rome fly over DFW at 35,000 feet. I noticed that the Aeromexico 787 has an "N" tail number. Isn't that reserved for US aircraft? Mexican airliners usually have the "XA" prefix.

VirginFlyer

RE: Pope's Flight To Rome

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:02 am

Aeromexico has 5 787s on lease from AerCap, registered N961AM, N964AM, N965AM, N966AM, and N967AM, plus 2 from CIT registered N782AM and N783AM. Additionally there are two owned by Aeromexico registered XA-AMX and XA-AMR.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

Viscount724

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:04 am

Quoting fishmeal (Thread starter):
I just watched the Pope's flight from Juarez to Rome fly over DFW at 35,000 feet. I noticed that the Aeromexico 787 has an "N" tail number. Isn't that reserved for US aircraft? Mexican airliners usually have the "XA" prefix.

Many AM aircaft have US registrations, including all 777s, most 787s and many 737s. Probably relates to leasing company requirements. I recall when KLM and Swissair had a few US-registered 747s

DeltaB717

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:56 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 2):
I recall when KLM and Swissair had a few US-registered 747s

Norwegian Long Haul's 787s are all Irish-registered due to lessor requirements.

Not to mention, closer to the subject of the Pope, that a lot of Alitalia's fleet is also Irish-registered, again due to lessor requirement.

migair54

Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:14 am

if I'm not mistaken the Pope always fly Alitalia to the destination and then the local airline, if capable, back to Rome, not long ago He also flew on KQ B787.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 2):
Many AM aircaft have US registrations, including all 777s, most 787s and many 737s. Probably relates to leasing company requirements. I recall when KLM and Swissair had a few US-registered 747s

TACA used to have all the planes N register except the ones lease to Cubana that were Irish register.
IB used to have B747 register in Iceland also.

I don't know why but many leasing companies register planes in Ireland, must be a good reason and I saw many business jets are register in places like Isle of Man (M-XXXX) registration, maybe for taxes.

LTU932

Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:47 am

Quoting migair54 (Reply 4):
TACA used to have all the planes N register except the ones lease to Cubana that were Irish register.
IB used to have B747 register in Iceland also.

Most of the aircraft operated by AV that came from TA and LR are US registered, this also goes for pretty much all of their aircraft operated starting in the late 1980s. However, for a while, some of the E-Jets operated by LR were Costa Rican registered (TI-xxx). That being said, AV also has quite a few aircraft with US registrations as well.

Quoting migair54 (Reply 4):
I don't know why but many leasing companies register planes in Ireland, must be a good reason and I saw many business jets are register in places like Isle of Man (M-XXXX) registration, maybe for taxes.

Definitely taxes. AFAIK the reason why Russian airlines register their Western built aircraft in the Carribean (in the case of UN, in Ireland) is also because of the excessively high import taxes they'd otherwise have to pay for them in Russia. Until that changes, which seems unlikely, there won't be any more Western built aircraft getting RA-xxxxx registrations apart from those 757s that VIM Airlines operated some time ago.

[Edited 2016-02-17 23:48:03]
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

bwest

Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:58 am

If I'm not mistaken one of the reasons to register airplanes in Ireland also has to do with the fact that if the airline goes bankrupt (always a risk with AZ ), the aircraft can't be impounded.
I love my Airport Job! :)

LatinPlane

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:24 am

AM is has been putting up reports of the preparations for the Pope's flight on its youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE7dM_cDHZU
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

aa1818

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:59 am

Reading some of the responses stating that the a/c is registered due to where it is leased from, in the case of BW (Caribbean Airlines of Trinidad and Tobago), their entire fleet is leased from a mix of GECAS, ILFC and ALC yet all aircraft bear the Trinidad and Tobago code "9Y". Why is that?

Cheers,
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

migair54

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:55 am

Quoting bwest (Reply 6):
If I'm not mistaken one of the reasons to register airplanes in Ireland also has to do with the fact that if the airline goes bankrupt (always a risk with AZ ), the aircraft can't be impounded.

I am not sure, because as long as the planes does not belong to the airline how can they be impounded??

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 8):
Reading some of the responses stating that the a/c is registered due to where it is leased from, in the case of BW (Caribbean Airlines of Trinidad and Tobago), their entire fleet is leased from a mix of GECAS, ILFC and ALC yet all aircraft bear the Trinidad and Tobago code "9Y". Why is that?

not only BW, most airlines have leased planes and register in the country of the airline, I think it's a matter of local legislation, there's some legal issues to consider depending on the country of registration of the plane, most of the planes I fly are leased and in the ID of the plane I can see that they are register in our base country but the legal owner (leasing company) has an address in Ireland.
Something similar happen with many boats around the world.

Quoting LatinPlane (Reply 7):
AM is has been putting up reports of the preparations for the Pope's flight on its youtube channel.

Nice touch with the shield in all the parts.

TYCOON

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:08 pm

One of the main reasons for registering aircraft in Ireland (EI-) or in the U.S. (N) even though the aircraft is flying for and may even have been ordered/purchased by the airline is that financiers (whether lessors or banks) are more comfortable with the legal enforceability in Irish and U.S. jurisdictions than many other foreign ones.
If an aircraft is registered in Ireland or the U.S., it is easier for the lessor or financier to repossess it regardless of where the aircraft actually is or for which airline it flies.
I remember some years ago flying from Salt Lake City to Ontario on a Delta B737-200 registered EI-BOM...but this was because it was on lease from GPA at the time.
I believe however that some countries expressly forbid national airlines from flying aircraft registered in foreign countries (Swiss comes to mind).
I may be wrong on the last point though.

SKAirbus

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:18 pm

Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 3):
Norwegian Long Haul's 787s are all Irish-registered due to lessor requirements.

All but one of the Dreamliner have now been moved to the Norwegian register according to: https://www.planespotters.net/production-list/search?fleet=Norwegian-Long-Haul&manufacturer=Boeing&type=787&fleetStatus=current
Base: BRU

Viscount724

Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:31 am

Quoting TYCOON (Reply 10):
I believe however that some countries expressly forbid national airlines from flying aircraft registered in foreign countries (Swiss comes to mind).
I may be wrong on the last point though.

Swissair operated this 747-300 with US registration N221GE from delivery in 1983 until 1992 when it acquired Swiss registration HB-IGE.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Wingnut

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos