Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Southwest Unveils Remodeled LAX T-1 Lobby

Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:46 pm

As part of near $600mil renovation of LAX Terminal-1, Southwest Airlines took the wraps off and opened its new ticket lobby.

The enlarged and brightened ticketing lobby will lead to a revised larger consolidated security screening checkpoint.

Other improvements still in work through 2018 in T-1 include: replacement of the passenger boarding bridges, refurbished arrival/ baggage claim area, revised passenger waiting room/concession area, renovations to airline support offices, new automated baggage system, and new ramp pavement and hydrant fuel system improvements.

Story:
http://www.blogsouthwest.com/a-major-milestone-for-lax/

More Photos
http://www.swamedia.com/photos

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

airliner371

RE: Southwest Unveils Remodeled LAX T-1 Lobby

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:01 pm

Huge improvement over the old lobby. I look forward to when the new security checkpoint is complete because the current one can be a mess.

I'm also interested at seeing the new gate areas in the pictures on swamedia. Looks like they have a new gate area. It's very modern and the seats have lots of power ports and cup holders. Looks very professional, hope this is expanded to all Southwest airports as their new gate area look. Nice job Southwest!

http://www.swamedia.com/photos/lax-t...minal-1-modernization-milestone-12

[Edited 2016-02-19 15:09:55]

futureorthopod

Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:49 pm

NICE! Rarely flew southwest while still growing up in LAX, but always hated how archaic and cramped T1 looked whenever I did.

SFOA380

Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:57 pm

I still think of T-1 as new! Funny how time flies. I flew into LAX on PSA the week it opened. Looks great. Again it's good to see LAX improve. Such an important gateway and city needs an airport that reflects such.

DCA-ROCguy

Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:10 pm

The T1 gate areas that are already renovated, which I visited on a trip in January, are amazing. The electrical outlets and power ports everywhere, along with tables, are very convenient. Very good place to be if you have time to kill. There are very few outlets in the old section!

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

treebeard787

Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:33 pm

Wow, looks good! It's a huge improvement over the old T1 check-in area, that's for sure.
Allons-y!

airzona11

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:11 pm

Awesome looking remodel. The check in, security and baggage claim for WN at LAX always stood out to be old, dated and in need of refresh to match the branding.

That being said, the views of all the planes from across the globe on the taxi to the terminal after landing, is one of my favorites.

kevin752

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:42 pm

I was there just yesterday. It was very very nice. Love the self tag kiosks as well. LOL the lobby agent was so impressed that I could tag my bag so well. I told her that I am a customer service agent for DL and I did this for a living. I hear they want to make a FIS area in T1 to have intl arrivals. Not sure if that is the truth or rumor. The terminal is looking much much better than it did before. Always enjoy flying WN too bad my trip did not allow me to fly on the 737-300  
"Keep Climbing"

mtnwest1979

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:54 am

My best memories of T1 was pre 9/11 when the folks trying to get donations would place their small wares next to you and work the area and come back and either collect $ for item or pick item back up of seat.
Seen it so many times. Kind of miss it now lol.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:50 pm

Quoting kevin752 (Reply 7):
I hear they want to make a FIS area in T1 to have intl arrivals. Not sure if that is the truth or rumor.

No such plans.

wnflyguy

Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:43 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 9):

Once park One lease is up in 2018/19
WN and LAWA will build terminal 0.
This will add 8 new swing gates and FIS holding area.
About that same time that DL will Start relocating to Terminals 2&3.

Until then WN few international flights will use terminal 2 for arrivals only.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:57 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 10):
Once park One lease is up in 2018/19
WN and LAWA will build terminal 0.
This will add 8 new swing gates and FIS holding area.
About that same time that DL will Start relocating to Terminals 2&3.

All highly speculative and long term project at best. LAWA board has not approved or requested such project.
T-0 was a concept resultant from now decade old North airfield realignment and loss of gates which appears wont happen occur now.

Also opening another FIS @ LAX seems highly improbable. CBP has actually recently asked LAX about options of closing FIS facilities with exception of T2 and TBIT. With increased travel volume, and nationwide staffing shortage CBP desire is to consolidate facilities and maximize existing staffing use.

jsnww81

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:23 pm

Quoting SFOA380 (Reply 3):
I still think of T-1 as new! Funny how time flies. I flew into LAX on PSA the week it opened.

I do too... in my mind T1 is still the "new" terminal. When it opened (and for a good many years afterward) it was the height of 1980s modernism, all sleek concrete and smoked-glass ribbon windows. I always thought it was nice that they built the same numbered "1" pylon next to T1 that all of the other terminals had - a little nod to the past.

Air Cal, America West, Muse Air, PSA and Southwest all inside too! TranStar and Piedmont also operated briefly out of T1 after they were acquired by Southwest and USAir. Still seems weird to me that the building is almost 35 years old.

chrisair

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:42 pm

Can't wait till it's totally complete. T1 desperately needed to be updated.

Quoting mtnwest1979 (Reply 8):
My best memories of T1 was pre 9/11 when the folks trying to get donations would place their small wares next to you and work the area and come back and either collect $ for item or pick item back up of seat.
Seen it so many times. Kind of miss it now lol.

The Hare Krishnas? IIRC they were kicked out back in 2010. I remember seeing them over at T5 and T3 too.

[Edited 2016-02-22 08:43:36]

mtnwest1979

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:47 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 13):
The Hare Krishnas?

No, I don't think so. They were mostly a group of apparently deaf folks working the gate areas. Very low key but interesting to
see them do their thing.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

airliner371

Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:11 am

This is unrelated to the LAX remodel but WN related and I don't think it deserves its own thread but is worth posting so this is the best thread.

I found this pic on Instagram and it shows the first WN 737 to be updated with the new evolve look. Updates includes a new bulkhead design, Heart logo and blue seat cushions. It is still the same evolve seat, all -700s and evolve -800s will get this look. The Meridian seat should debut in May, if it is on schedule, and will include all new -800s after that.

Updated Southwest Evolve Interior

http://www.instagram.com/p/BBtV17bMFS2/?taken-by=airlinernick
Obviously not my photo but I included the owners name in the picture and I provided the link to his picture on Instagram.

I think it looks good, would look better with the BSI retrofit...  duck 

[Edited 2016-02-22 22:32:48]