LAXintl
Topic Author

Emirates Sponsor Los Angeles Dodgers

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:05 pm

Marking the airlines first entry into the world of baseball, Emirates announced that it will become the sponsor of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The multi-year deal will include variety of joint marketing and branding efforts including home plate and stadium signage plus the opening of Emirates airport like hospitality lounge at Dodger stadium for invited guest.

In addition the Dodgers will provide support and brand rights to Dubai based All-Star travel team to be known as the Dubai Dodgers.

http://www.emirates.com/media-centre...gers-announce-new-partnership-deal

=

http://cdn.ek.aero/media-centre/2d/71d710d7a111e5a2e17111166f0303/Emirates-and-LA-Dodgers-Press-Conference.jpg

http://cdn.ek.aero/media-centre/3a/5bba10d79f11e586a745083088d664/Emirates-and-LA-Dodgers-Press-Conference---Dodger-Stadium-Field.jpg

With LA being such a major media market, this surely will help further get EK's name out to the general public.

[Edited 2016-02-22 08:44:36]
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

910A

RE: Emirates Sponsor Los Angeles Dodgers

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:34 pm

Will United cancel their partnership with the Dodgers now?

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
With LA being such a major media market, this surely will help further get EK's name out to the general public.

Are the Dodgers games even available on local cable in the Southern California area yet? Didn't Time-Warner have a big fight with the Dodgers about carrying their games the past two seasons?

Air New Zealand and the San Francisco Giants had fun with a sponsorship in 2013.

http://www.airnewzealand.com/press-r...-a-uniquely-kiwi-themed-game-night

cougar15

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:39 pm

... and did I ever get flamebaited on this very platform when I suggested EK will build their own markets, sponsor local sporting & charity organisations and work the rest from there!
Don´t recall how many fanboys from a certain place across the pond told me ´that will never happen, this is Amercia.....!'
EK are smart, they will do what they have done all over the world & welcome upmteen new pax as a result with their service levels , even in the very patriotic US of A!
good on EK, superb news for the dodgers!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

mercure1

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:54 pm

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 2):

Really no reason why EK or any other of the ME3 or folks like TK not continue to follow their marketing strategies in the US.

Sports sponsorship are probably one of the most effective means to get a name out there among general public.

Look at TK and how well its done with its Messi and Kobe sponsorship. They managed to earn one of the top 5 most viewed TV commercials in the world as result.
mercure f-wtcc

ikramerica

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:54 pm

Just seems so silly. Official airline sponsor of a sport that middle easterners don't care about by an airline that barely serves Los Angeles. And DXB is far, far too out of the way to be a waypoint for Asia.

Then again, I couldn't tell you the "official airline" of most other sports teams in the USA, and baseball doesn't allow huge banners on their jerseys, so other than signage in the park, you probably won't know.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

32andBelow

Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:07 pm

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 3):

Well I'll tell you one thing. You ain't getting a giant fly Emirates logo on the front of a dodger jersey like you get with those sell out soccer clubs in Europe.

thekorean

Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:07 pm

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 2):

Who is flaming you for that? Thats stupid. It would make sense for EK to market their product and Americans, we love sports here.

Surprised no ME3 sponsors NFL teams.

Only thing I don't get is Dubai Dodgers. Who the hell cares about baseball in Dubai?

tozairport

Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:18 pm

Cool. One more reason for me to hate the Dodgers now. Hollywood sellouts would sell their soul for a quick hit. They can make Jennifer Anniston their official spokesperson to make the whole thing complete. Go Giants.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

lightsaber

Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:46 pm

Quoting 910A (Reply 1):
Are the Dodgers games even available on local cable in the Southern California area yet?

With the local blackout, who cares? Viewership is just over 56,000 homes now.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...tlement-only-delays-the-inevitable

Normally EK does wise deals... The Dodgers seem like a poor choice until the cable issue is sorted out. I was going to introduce them to Doger baseball as I have found memories of the games. But without TV... Eh, I've found other things and let the corporate teams rot.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

ua2162

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:01 pm

Maybe some of those government subsidies can make their way over to the Dodger payroll so they can actually win for once   

enilria

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:23 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
Marking the airlines first entry into the world of baseball, Emirates announced that it will become the sponsor of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

With AA/UA/FL fighting for LAX, they were dumb to let EK snatch this away. It may seem like a minor deal, but these hometown sports deals really do makes fans associate with an airline. You saw in DEN where WN went after everything they could get and it's a component of winning the local O&D battle.

goboeing

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:32 pm

Sad times in the USA.

Pathetic.

cougar15

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Quoting goboeing (Reply 11):
Sad times in the USA.

why? they buy umpteen Boeings from you guys, more than anyone else on this earth? Thats a lot of money for the number one export earner!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

AABB777

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:41 pm

Sad times in the USA.

Pathetic.

It's unfortunate that a U.S. airline could not have come to an agreement with the Dodgers (or another US company for that matter.) How will Dodger fans react to the EK sponsorship? My guess is many of them have never heard of EK and will most likely never fly them either. In the end, money talks!

tortugamon

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:41 pm

Sad times in the USA.

Pathetic.

I would love to hear why. If I was a Dodger fan I don't know why this would bother me.

tortugamon

thekorean

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:16 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 10):

LA still has 7 or 8 teams they can sponsor. True big fish in that town are the Lakers.

jayunited

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:19 pm

With AA/UA/FL fighting for LAX, they were dumb to let EK snatch this away. It may seem like a minor deal, but these hometown sports deals really do makes fans associate with an airline. You saw in DEN where WN went after everything they could get and it's a component of winning the local O&D battle.

Really why??
As it stands right now EK poses no threat to the US3 on routes out of LAX to Mexico, Central America, Europe, Asia, or Australia. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe EK already won the war between them and the US3. There is no US airline present in the Middle East and UA only has 2 flights to India and as far as Africa UA only has 1 flight while DL still has a handful of flights but for the most part the war is between them is over the ME3 won.

So instead of focusing on the US3 I think this is EK going to battle against TK, QR, and EY at LAX. It's no secret LA is a huge melting pot people from all over the world have migrated to LA this includes quite a few people from the Middle East and as foreign nationals adapt to life here in the U.S. we are seeing more and more of them becoming familiar with U.S. sports and showing to up games to support their team. This is an extremely smart move by EK but their opponent at LAX is not the US3 it's the other airlines that make up the ME3 plus TK.

Although I have no proof of this I think EK has played nice here in the U.S. with the other ME3 airlines and TK but as each of these airlines continues to add more and more destinations here in the U.S. at some point the gloves are going to come off and it is going to get ugly. Sponsoring the LA Dodgers is probably just the beginning of EK's plan to convince passengers that they should be the airline of choice for travel between the U.S. - Middle East, India, and Africa.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:31 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 4):

Just seems so silly. Official airline sponsor of a sport that middle easterners don't care about by an airline that barely serves Los Angeles. And DXB is far, far too out of the way to be a waypoint for Asia.
Quoting AABB777 (Reply 13):
How will Dodger fans react to the EK sponsorship? My guess is many of them have never heard of EK and will most likely never fly them either.

Its all part of broader marketing. Getting your name out there, earning mind-share from consumers.

I'm sure EK will do some flashy PR gigs jointly with the Dodgers, and I can already see the number of VIPs, Celebs and high end corporate events that will be hosted at Emirates Club at the stadium. Its all good PR.

Quoting thekorean (Reply 15):
LA still has 7 or 8 teams they can sponsor. True big fish in that town are the Lakers.

Lakers fading fast. Clippers are seeing higher attendance.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

But baseball is the bigger fish in LA. Average game attendance more than 2 times that of basketball

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2015

Matter of fact, LA Dodgers are number one in the nation for league attendance.

tortugamon

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:31 pm

Quoting jayunited (Reply 16):
It's no secret LA is a huge melting pot people from all over the world have migrated to LA this includes quite a few people from the Middle East

Well half the games the Dodgers play will be at that stadium playing an out of market team which presumably those home-town teams will watch and will be susceptible to this marketing as well. Its not just the LA market that this sponsorship impacts.

tortugamon

panamair

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:35 pm

I thought Delta already has the Lakers...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-los-angeles-lakers-113489499.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-no-airline-will-ever-dominate-lax

"....American has signed up the Hollywood Bowl, the LA Clippers NBA team, Universal Music Group Inc., and others. Delta boasts the LA Lakers, the Grammy Awards, and the NHL’s LA Kings..."

910A

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:04 pm

I thought the old sponsor was United, but apparently last season Southwest was the official airline sponsor of the Dodgers.

http://ftnnews.com/sports/26813-sout...ial-airline-of-the-la-dodgers.html

richierich

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:17 pm

Sad times in the USA.

Pathetic.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this. For one, Emirates sponsors a ton of sports all around the world - they are the airline emblazoned on the jerseys of several high profile soccer clubs including Paris St.Germain, Real Madrid, and Arsenal. The home stadium of Arsenal, in London, is Emirates Stadium for goodness sake. It's all about the $$$, and despite some local objection at first, I don't think the average fan of any of these clubs minds today. Secondly, did any US airlines bid? Do they even care? My guess is that sports advertising/sponsorship is not a high priority or they choose to use their marketing budgets elsewhere. So what is the issue?

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 18):
Well half the games the Dodgers play will be at that stadium playing an out of market team which presumably those home-town teams will watch and will be susceptible to this marketing as well. Its not just the LA market that this sponsorship impacts.

100% correct. Also, in the world of sanitized sports highlights, how many replays will be shown right in front of the huge Emirates sign?

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 17):

Its all part of broader marketing. Getting your name out there, earning mind-share from consumers.

Bingo.
It's very difficult to quantify and it is certainly not up to me to decide if EK will get value for money from this deal, but their goal must be to implant their brand and this will go a long way toward that. After a while, the Emirates brand - perhaps well known to aviation geeks but not so much to more casual fliers - will be put out there at the national pastime. There are still a lot of Americans who have never seen an Emirates plane, and this helps make a subconscious connection. Based on past indications, I wouldn't, for a minute, expect this to be their last US sports team sponsorship either...
None shall pass!!!!

ldvaviation

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:53 pm

Sad times in the USA.

Pathetic.

Each of the US3 is more profitable than Emirates.

ikramerica

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:54 pm

I'm sure EK will do some flashy PR gigs jointly with the Dodgers, and I can already see the number of VIPs, Celebs and high end corporate events that will be hosted at Emirates Club at the stadium. Its all good PR.

I just don't understand it for the bases balls team. West coast baseball. Where the majority of fans are hispanic or white, and aren't traveling to the ME or beyond. And the Asians who do follow baseball are flying Westward not 3/4 of the way around th world the wrong way to get to Asia. And you can't put the name on the jersey. Or the caps.

adamh8297

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:40 am

Man I am praying for a Fly Emirates - New England Revolution soccer jersey. B6 is now official airlines for all other BOS sports teams.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

jayunited

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:45 am

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 18):

Yes you are correct and I stated this is a smart move by EK but it is more to the point I was making that EK is taking the gloves off. Perhaps I was wrong to limit my comments to the LA market but still I believe EK is now taking it's fight over marketshare here in the U.S. to the other ME3 airlines as well as TK.

Think about it MLB is played in the U.S. and Canada, when AA became the official sponsor of the Cubs that was a shot aimed directly at UA. AA coming into UA's hometown and taking over sponsorship is huge domestically because AA competes directly against UA all across this country that was the consensus on a.netters. So if we apply the same angle to EK's sponsorship of the LA Dodgers then this sponsorship poses no threat to U.S. carriers because EK can't sell tickets domestically here in the U.S. and can't sell tickets for nonstop flights between the U.S. and Canada. EK has no presence at all on nonstop routes between the U.S. - Asia, or Australia and has an extremely small presence on flights between the U.S. and Europe. This sponsorship is EK taking direct aim at the other ME3 airlines and TK all of these airlines have plans to expand here in the U.S. this is EK preparing to do battle to increase their marketshare in the U.S.

AABB777

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:53 am

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 13):
How will Dodger fans react to the EK sponsorship? My guess is many of them have never heard of EK and will most likely never fly them either.

Yes, it's part of a larger strategic marketing and public relations initiative that goes well beyond the LA market. EK will receive massive brand awareness that stretches nationally. However, how many of these VIPs, celebs, and high end corporate pax are relevant to EK, specifically from a US perspective. Not too many. I've looked into similar sponsorships for another foreign airline that flies to the U.S. and we determined that there was just too much 'waste' for such a tremendous amount of investment. Also, the majority of EK's Economy Class customers are VFR who buy primarily on price and are not loyal to any one airline. Sure, the Dodgers sponsorship may help with brand recognition among this segment, and EK may use tickets as an agent incentive to sell EK (another example of an ME3 airline buying the business), but these Y class customers are extremely price sensitive and a sponsorship with the Dodgers isn't going to change their buying behavior.

In my opinion, for EK, this is a great sponsorship and will get them a lot of PR. But, I still question how much this will affect revenue and customer bookings for EK.

I also wonder if the Dodgers were also perhaps talking to a U.S. carrier who was out-spent by EK...

tozairport

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:37 am

Quoting ldvaviation (Reply 22):
Each of the US3 is more profitable than Emirates.

And yet Emerates can afford to by more A380's than the rest of the world combined, operate them 1/3 full, and take them to places that don't make money. Why is that? Oh yeah, they are propped up by their government so they can compete unfairly. That is what is pathetic.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

tortugamon

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:54 am

Quoting jayunited (Reply 25):
Yes you are correct and I stated this is a smart move by EK but it is more to the point I was making that EK is taking the gloves off. Perhaps I was wrong to limit my comments to the LA market but still I believe EK is now taking it's fight over marketshare here in the U.S. to the other ME3 airlines as well as TK.

Agreed and I bet their first call was to the Yankees to see what they could get. Dodgers are a very good second choice. I would think NFL is the next logical place for them.

tortugamon

thekorean

Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:10 am

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 28):

Yankees are partnered with EY I think. At least they co own NYCFC.

jetwet1

Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:11 am

Try comparing the O/D numbers for WN at Den and EK on the LAX-DXB, maybe LAXint has the numbers at hand.

True big fish in that town are the Lakers.
Lakers fading fast. Clippers are seeing higher attendance.

And the Kings split them right down the middle.

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 26):
However, how many of these VIPs, celebs, and high end corporate pax are relevant to EK, specifically from a US perspective.

Next to none.

Quoting tozairport (Reply 27):
And yet Emerates can afford to by more A380's than the rest of the world combined, operate them 1/3 full, and take them to places that don't make money. Why is that? Oh yeah, they are propped up by their government so they can compete unfairly. That is what is pathetic.

1 hub compared to 5-8, if AA/DL/UA could route all their passengers through 1 hub both internationally and domestically, the 380 would be selling like the 737. To put it into more context, DXB had roughly 49,300,000 go through DXB, DL had 129,400,00 go through it's 7 hubs.

lightsaber

Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:22 am

Well, if nothing else, this has us talking about EK.   

Or USC football.   

Matter of fact, LA Dodgers are number one in the nation for league attendance.

So there is one benefit of the cable blackout.   

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

ikramerica

Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:46 am

Out of market teams won't hear Emirates ads or mentions on their broadcasts even when they play the Dodgers. But they will see the in stadium ads on screen during the 81 games played in dodger stadium.

Will it be more influential than seeing the Utz potato chip signs during Yankee games? There is brand recognition but I still have never eaten an Utz chip.

hoons90

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:11 am

operate them 1/3 full,

And you know this how?

I've been routinely monitoring EK's loads to ICN (one of my home airports), and loads hover around the 85% mark or above throughout most of the year with the A380. I also used to work for the same ground handler that EK uses at YYZ (my other home airport), and flights routinely go out 90%+ full, year round.

and take them to places that don't make money.

And you know this how?

they are propped up by their government so they can compete unfairly. That is what is pathetic.

Emirates does not receive direct government support at all, and its operations are supported by its profits.

Emirates may benefit from Dubai's taxation policies as well as labor laws, but to call that "propping up" an entire airline would be an incredible stretch.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

stlgph

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:32 am

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 28):
Agreed and I bet their first call was to the Yankees to see what they could get.

No, the Yankees are tied to Delta.

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 26):
I also wonder if the Dodgers were also perhaps talking to a U.S. carrier who was out-spent by EK...

No. the Dodgers went shopping and no one was interested in playing. Emirates came along and offered them a great opportunity. (more below)

what I love about this thread.
1. everyone is making it about Emirates
2. few people truly understand anything to do with marketing and branding

*sigh*

This isn't just about Emirates. This is also a way for the Dodgers to promote their team and brand around the world. Make fun of the Dubai Dodgers all you want but they'll be getting the name, the branding the apparel out there. Every t-shirt sold will bring money back to the Dodgers. And when folks see the games in Dubai or wherever or what have you and then they end up in Los Angeles, why not swing by for a baseball game? Dodgers being in L.A. almost guarantee a prime time spot any time they play ball home or on the road. The deal also gives enough to Emirates to allow them to have say on how it will work in their favor and it gives the Dodgers the same freedom. Smart move by both parties.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

3rdGen

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:20 am

But it is a waypoint for South Asia, as well as East Africa, as well as the Middle East.

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 5):
Well I'll tell you one thing. You ain't getting a giant fly Emirates logo on the front of a dodger jersey like you get with those sell out soccer clubs in Europe.

But in North American sports you also don't get non-stop sports action for 45 minutes, followed by a 15 minute half time break followed by non-stop action for another 45 minutes. All in all 1 hour 45 minutes to get a 90 minute game done. This is versus basketball which takes 3 hours to complete a 48 minute game meaning that there's 2 hours and 12 minutes of sponsored highlights, advertising and other marketing. And don't forget the three days of sponsored all-star events. Same goes for Football, Baseball and Hockey. I'll take the on shirt advertising.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

qfba

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:04 am

All this bashing of the ME3.

Without CHAPTER 11 America would have been without any airlines.

tjcab

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:43 am

Quoting qfba (Reply 36):

All this bashing of the ME3.

Without CHAPTER 11 America would have been without any airlines.

bobdino

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:15 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 8):
Normally EK does wise deals... The Dodgers seem like a poor choice until the cable issue is sorted out. I was going to introduce them to Doger baseball as I have found memories of the games. But without TV... Eh, I've found other things and let the corporate teams rot.

Unless you know the commercial terms of the deal, how can you say if it's wise or not? Might have cost them a pittance. Or it might be that the corporate hospitality at the stadium is worth heaps to their high-end clientele. Or... who knows, really.

I know very little of baseball as well as not having seen the terms, so I don't have a personal opinion on whether it was a smart or stupid call. But it's definitely consistent with how Emirates has handled brand advertising - see all the soccer clubs mentioned up-thread.

[Edited 2016-02-23 04:17:43]

BlatantEcho

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Makes sense, but the Dodgers???

They are terrible.
I get that they are in LA, but why not sponsor a team that wins in the post season.

It's sort of like sponsoring a AA farm team that happens to be near a big city.
Maybe Emirates likes overhyped product that doesn't deliver the goods??

AVFCdownunder

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:39 pm

On the contrary, I think it is a very astute move. Whilst you are correct that baseball may not be the #1 sport in the Middle East, it will certainly serve to enhance the profile of Emirates in the US. Whilst they might "barely serve" LA at the moment, surely this will help put bums on seats when Americans are considering their long haul options.

I watch a lot of English Premier League football on TV. One of the most prominent adverts is the dynamic changing pitchside advertisements pointing out the range of places one could be flying to with Emirates, rather than watching the match on a cold drizzly wiinter's afternoon.

DolphinAir747

Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Official airline sponsor of a sport that middle easterners don't care about by an airline that barely serves Los Angeles. And DXB is far, far too out of the way to be a waypoint for Asia.

Only if you use "Asia" to mean Northeast and Southeast Asia. LAX has large markets to Iran, India, etc. which are very well served by EK.

ikramerica

Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:48 pm

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 41):

Yes, and I can count the number of Dodgers caps I've seen on an Indian or Persian on one hand, living here for 17 years.

Lakers? Heck yes. Even clippers these days. But Dodgers at this point are mostly supported by regional hispanics, Asians and pacific islanders who like baseball and a diminishing white population, which is what I said from the start. Even the African American community is moving away from supporting baseball around here as fewer non-hispanic Black people play the game.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswit...shifts-bring-cultural-complexities
And while I can't find much about the Dodgers demos specifically (their own demo page comes up blank), baseball overall has 5% "other" fan base meaning non-white/black and 11% hispanic. The Dodgers are likely far higher on the hispanic front considering the southland is a plurality with the second largest population being foreign born hispanics.

But I'm sure EK has done the research and decided it makes sense, if for no other reason than to prevent another airline like EK from doing it.

32andBelow

Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:53 pm

They won't be able to for much longer if oil prices stay where they are. Those oil states are going to be broke as a joke.

timpdx

Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:11 pm

Emirates should purchase the naming rights to the new Rams stadium. They are going to put a graphic on the roof of the stadium and its right under the approaches to LAX.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

mjoelnir

Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 43):
They won't be able to for much longer if oil prices stay where they are. Those oil states are going to be broke as a joke.

As Dubai does not depend on oil, finished it a while ago, but rather on earning money with EK and other investments, I think the low oil price suits them es well as anybody else running an airline.

[Edited 2016-02-23 11:17:32]

[Edited 2016-02-23 11:18:39]

United1

Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:37 pm

Quoting 910A (Reply 20):
I thought the old sponsor was United, but apparently last season Southwest was the official airline sponsor of the Dodgers.

Not sure if UA ever sponsored the dodgers but UA does fly them around....
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

b747400erf

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:19 pm

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 3):

Sports sponsorship are probably one of the most effective means to get a name out there among general public.

Look at TK and how well its done with its Messi and Kobe sponsorship. They managed to earn one of the top 5 most viewed TV commercials in the world as result.

Do you have a citation for that? Sports sponsorships are very wasteful and rarely produce enough results to offset the money spent. Just having your commercial with football stars be viewed so many times does always not translate into more sales. Nor does the idea that attaching yourself to the super star like Messi is a bit different than the Dodgers, who most of the world cannot name a single player.

There was a study done about stadium sponsorship deals and almost every company that started as the sponsor for new American stadiums went bankrupt and had to cancel their deal only a few years later. I will try and find this study.

jacobin777

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Are you being serious or are you trying to make most people here laugh?

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 43):

Its irrelevant at least for EK.

Sounds to me some people here are simply crying "foul" that EK has become so successful.
"Up the Irons!"

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:55 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 47):
Do you have a citation for that? Sports sponsorships are very wasteful and rarely produce enough results to offset the money spent. Just having your commercial with football stars be viewed so many times does always not translate into more sales. Nor does the idea that attaching yourself to the super star like Messi is a bit different than the Dodgers, who most of the world cannot name a single player.

Sports sponsorship (incl celebs/players) are probably one of the worlds most effective means of marketing.

Its not just airlines, but clothing and all types of other consumer goods that make good use of sports related deals.

Why?? Because sports are the most watched entertainment in the world which gives companies tons of eyeballs to get their names out, build brand awareness and win consumer mindshare.

Secondly, and maybe more importantly, with sports there is a unique connection with the public. Many people have very tight connection and affinity with either a sport, a team, or groups of players and companies seek to tap into that relationship.

It been well shown that sports partnerships have more lasting impact in winning mindshare than buying basic paper or TV commercials as such advertising lacks the emotional connection that sports marketing provides.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos