Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

LAX T4 To Tbit Connector Open (w/photos)

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:33 pm

LAWA has opened the $115 million connector that links Terminal 4 with the Tom Bradley International International Terminal. Connector will allow passengers to connect between TBIT and all southside terminals behind security in addition to direct link to TBIT FIS area from several T4 gates.

Story and photos:

Making international connections at LAX just got easier. Here's why.
http://www.briansumers.com/home/2016...bout-to-get-a-lot-easier-heres-why

=

For info the connector is currently in a "soft opening" as some work remains to be completed including escalators on the TBIT end.
Due ongoing work and staffing needs, the connector wont be available 24/7 or be accessible by all passengers as AA polices access over next fews days/week.

[Edited 2016-02-26 16:10:41]

commavia

RE: LAX T4 To Tbit Connector Open

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:45 pm

Tried it out yesterday. Despite the connector not being "done" yet, it looks really nice and they did a good job. The views from the windows looking out over the T4/TBIT alleyway are great, as are the views looking down on the TBIT ticketing lobby, security checkpoint and concessions along the walk.

As has been discussed in the past, it's true that theoretically any passenger from as far as T8 could now walk airside to get to TBIT via this connector. Nonetheless, as the connector's color scheme and style (classic AA, matches T4) and wayfinding signage (all T4, no mention of T5-8) attest, this connector is going to dramatically improve the connecting experience especially for AA with its international partners.

[Edited 2016-02-26 15:47:28]

roseflyer

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:52 pm

Why on earth did that cost over $100 million? That seems far too expensive for a two thousand foot walkway.

commavia

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:56 pm

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 2):
Why on earth did that cost over $100 million? That seems far too expensive for a two thousand foot walkway.

It's a lot more than what's pictured. The walkway itself had to be integrated with and into existing buildings at both ends, and several levels below what's pictured, there is going to also be a major baggage sorting/screening facility, security checkpoint and I believe also a bus port. If I'm not mistaken, none of that has opened yet, and it's clearly evident when walking through and outside of the connector (on the outdoor curb walkway between T4 and TBIT) that the whole thing is far from complete.

[Edited 2016-02-26 16:35:43]

LAXintl
Topic Author

RE: LAX T4 To Tbit Connector Open (w/photos)

Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:11 am

The connect is a multi-level, multi-use facility. Its basically a 5 story building.

There are different level corridors for FIS passengers and non-FIS passengers. There will be a 5-lane security check point, house a checked baggage inspection system and also have a bus port in addition to having automated baggage system down in the guts and other utilities. The top floor once complete will also feature an outdoor plaza for smokers.

reality

Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:25 am

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
LAWA has opened the $115 million connector that links Terminal 4 with the Tom Bradley International International Terminal.

I'm sure it is very nice, but it is amazing how it would cost $115 Million! I'm sure it is "green" and "state of the art." Even in San Francisco, where the average home price is 1 million, it is hard to imagine how this would cost as much as 115 homes. Just sayin'. In the US as a whole the average home price is around $200,000. So this $115 million represents the cost of 575 typcial homes of about 2000 square feet each. Since they are not private enterprises, airports don't seem to try to keep costs under control. Mind blowing.

roseflyer

Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:31 am

Well now I understand that it is more than a 100 million dollar hallway, but it still seems pricey. It is more of a terminal extension.

jsnww81

Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:35 am

Great news. This will really improve the experience for AA customers, especially as AA schedules more domestic flights from TBIT during off hours. I always cringe when I see a 100-series gate on my AA boarding pass: no Pre-Check, no Admirals Club, and in the morning most of the food and retail in TBIT is closed. It was definitely a sub-optimal experience, despite the new TBIT being a beautiful facility. Now domestic passengers can arrive at T4 and use the facilities there, then make the walk over, if they choose.

Plus, once the baggage sorting facility is finished, they can tear down the current outdoor sorting shed and finally open the last new gate on TBIT's south concourse. It's been sitting there finished for over a year, but the shed makes it impossible to tow aircraft in or out.

N1120A

Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:56 am

Quoting reality (Reply 5):
I'm sure it is very nice, but it is amazing how it would cost $115 Million! I'm sure it is "green" and "state of the art." Even in San Francisco, where the average home price is 1 million, it is hard to imagine how this would cost as much as 115 homes.
Quoting roseflyer (Reply 6):

Well now I understand that it is more than a 100 million dollar hallway, but it still seems pricey. It is more of a terminal extension.

Remember, as mentioned, this is way more than just a hallway.

First, they had to build what is functionally a bridge. There was no actual, physical connection between the two buildings, so this required full engineering to have two buildings, built at different times, be able to "marry" each other. Then, they built a multi-level structure that incorporates the following:

1) An airside bus plaza, with secure access to ramp buses.

2) The actual connector bridge, which is secure side and has to be built with both proper escape routes and secure access.

3) The FIS corridor, which must also be both secure and also allow for emergency escapes.

4) Automated baggage system and baggage transfer

5) Baggage screening

6) Security checkpoint

7) Landside road improvements

timpdx

Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:00 am

I was going to post this yesterday, but thought there was already a thread on the connector, so I didn't post. And of course search on Anet is useless.

These pics were posted on Skyscraperpage yesterday:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=7350377#post7350377

WALmsp

Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:38 am

The views from the windows looking out over the T4/TBIT alleyway are great,

A new vantage point for photo ops?  

csturdiv

Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:14 am

Hopefully that'll change my impression of LAX. I'll see in June when I transit through it on my way to ORD from SYD on AA.

LAX772LR

Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:21 am

Quoting WALmsp (Reply 10):
A new vantage point for photo ops?

First thing I noticed as well. Hope it doesn't create a backup.

goboeing

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:33 am

What an unbelievable waste of $115,000,000.

Byrdluvs747

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:41 am

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 6):

I'm not sure the term walkway or hallway is a good definition for this project.

http://www-dev.insidesocal.com/aviation/files/2014/02/TBIT-connector-2.png

AAlaxfan

Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:27 pm

Quoting goboeing (Reply 13):

What an unbelievable waste of $115,000,000.

Why? It has created a post security passage to and from TBIT that flyers have been asking for, for years. You're from California, you should know the costs involved in any construction project are generally overpriced with all the regulatory bs that goes into getting these things started and approved. $115m seems like a bargain, for all the work they did.

deltaffindfw

Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:44 pm

It's too bad the outside patio faces the roadway.

http://www.walterpmoore.com/projects/lax-terminal-4-connector

barney captain

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:34 pm

It's been a while since I was over there, but how can you walk airside from T8 to T4 to get to the new connector? Are the tunnels open again?

jsnww81

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:50 pm

Quoting barney captain (Reply 17):

It's been a while since I was over there, but how can you walk airside from T8 to T4 to get to the new connector? Are the tunnels open again?

It's a very long hike but it's doable. From T8 you take the third-level walkways past T7 to T6, then descend into the tunnels to go from there to T4. Then back up and into the new connector. It's only going to be an easy experience for pax going from T4 to TBIT (which was the intention; it's just a happy coincidence that a seamless walk from T8 is now possible.)

The T4-T5 and T5-T6 tunnels get arbitrarily closed from time to time as well, which is bizarre. A month ago I was down there and a Delta employee was redirecting everyone back upstairs to buses.

barney captain

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks for that! I was under the impression that those tunnels were permanently closed after 9-11.

747-600X

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:57 pm

This has to be have been a waste of money. The connection was a great idea, but someone, somewhere opted for a far more opulent model than was necessary.

slowrambler

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:03 pm

Quoting 747-600X (Reply 20):
This has to be have been a waste of money. The connection was a great idea, but someone, somewhere opted for a far more opulent model than was necessary.

And then people moan about airports in other countries being so much nicer than in the US. This is a major, major improvement in the usability of LAX as an international gateway, it apparently solves logistical problems and improves capacity, and will last a long time - nothing wrong with making an actual investment in something nice.

Spend IAD C/D money, get an IAD C/D airport.

N1120A

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:30 pm

There is nothing "opulent" about it. It is a highly flexible design that does a lot of jobs. It also allows AA to successfully both permanently close the T4 FIS and stop the busing operations they have been doing, increasing airport efficiency. It also facilitates the vast majority of the relatively small percentage of connecting traffic at LAX.

OzarkD9S

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:31 pm

Not if you're AA. Or an AA/oneworld passenger. Of all the legacies they now have "maybe" the best setup. The Eagle's Nest notwithstanding, and when DL moves to T2/3 down the road AA may have THE best setup.

ericm2031

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:02 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 23):
Not if you're AA. Or an AA/oneworld passenger. Of all the legacies they now have "maybe" the best setup. The Eagle's Nest notwithstanding, and when DL moves to T2/3 down the road AA may have THE best setup.

I agree. Even with the remote terminal, they still have the best connection to their partners in TBIT and AS in T6. The connections between DL and their partners scattered between TBIT and T2, and UA in the same situation, this is a much better setup that will continue to get better once they get 5. DL will also get much better when they get T2, and if the AS relationship sours more, then there is no need for them to be close to them anymore. UA is really going to be in the worst situation as there really is no way to improve what they have being at the end

rnav2dlrey

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:03 pm

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 18):
The T4-T5 and T5-T6 tunnels get arbitrarily closed from time to time as well, which is bizarre.

Is there a reason why this happens? The (approximate) midpoints of the hallways are always manned, and there's a gate that's closes.

Walkimg through last time, I remember thinking to myself that the employee between T4/5 (or maybe 5/6) has a miserable job - sitting in a chair next to a loudspeaker blaring the same recorded 'caution' message over and over. I'd quit after the first 15 minutes.

ericm2031

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:24 pm

And I arrived today at Gate 41 and got to use the new connector for arrivals. It is a pretty hefty walk but not bad. I'm sure the plan in the future is to keep as many of the intl flights at TBIT.

ldvaviation

Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:35 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 22):
There is nothing "opulent" about it. It is a highly flexible design that does a lot of jobs. It also allows AA to successfully both permanently close the T4 FIS and stop the busing operations they have been doing, increasing airport efficiency. It also facilitates the vast majority of the relatively small percentage of connecting traffic at LAX.

The architectural flourishes are on the landside. The two-storey glass wall and the louvered metal screen. (That's a lot of design for a building of this size and function.)

Otherwise, it is a basic stucco box that floats on its own foundation as I think you described above.

jsnww81

Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:23 am

Quoting slowrambler (Reply 21):
Spend IAD C/D money, get an IAD C/D airport.

Amen.

LAX is a major international gateway to the US, and honestly, it's been refreshing to see them step up and actually try and build an airport that can hold its own against the ones many of its passengers are coming from. Pax are arriving from ICN, HND, HKG, PEK, DXB, DOH... world-class facilities. For much of the last few decades they were greeted by the old TBIT - as bad of an international terminal as there ever was - and then transferred to the disjointed, mismatched domestic buildings. That's changing, and if costs a bit of coin to make it happen, I say spend the money.

Imagine if, decades and decades ago, planners had gone the budget route. We wouldn't have Grand Central Terminal or LA's Union Station or any of the facilities that are so treasured today. Nobody celebrates IAD's trailer park or DTW's functional-but-forgettable North Terminal or the giant steel box that ATL calls an international terminal.

fbgdavidson

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:24 am

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 7):
Great news. This will really improve the experience for AA customers, especially as AA schedules more domestic flights from TBIT during off hours. I always cringe when I see a 100-series gate on my AA boarding pass: no Pre-Check, no Admirals Club, and in the morning most of the food and retail in TBIT is closed. It was definitely a sub-optimal experience, despite the new TBIT being a beautiful facility. Now domestic passengers can arrive at T4 and use the facilities there, then make the walk over, if they choose.

I've not used LAX T4 since this has been done....

Theoretically then could you use the QF lounge in TBIT when on AA domestics? As a oneworld Emerald this is certainly enticing, even with use of the FL possible....how long is the walk from the QF lounge back to the main T4 departures area?

N1120A

Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:26 pm

Quoting ldvaviation (Reply 27):
The architectural flourishes are on the landside. The two-storey glass wall and the louvered metal screen. (That's a lot of design for a building of this size and function.)

Sure, and those aren't expensive to build. The cost here is in the complex nature of all the tasks the it does.

Quoting fbgdavidson (Reply 29):
Theoretically then could you use the QF lounge in TBIT when on AA domestics? As a oneworld Emerald this is certainly enticing, even with use of the FL possible....how long is the walk from the QF lounge back to the main T4 departures area?

I haven't used the connector yet either, but based on the QF lounge's location, it shouldn't be that long.

MKIAZ

Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:58 pm

Quoting ericm2031 (Reply 26):

Is there a reason why this happens? The (approximate) midpoints of the hallways are always manned, and there's a gate that's closes.

I would guess this is because if there is a security breach in any of the terminals the gates would be closed off and they would only have to re-screen people in the terminal where the breach occurred.

ldvaviation

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:09 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):
Sure, and those aren't expensive to build. The cost here is in the complex nature of all the tasks the it does.

In the original design, the two-storey glass curtain wall looked like a cable mullion system. That can be quite expensive.

As to the tasks, the $115 million did not include the cost of the CBIS on the second floor.
That cost something like $300 m. AA and the TSA paid for that.

aklrno

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:30 am

The current version of LAX opened in 1961. The only building that has been totally demolished and replaced is T2. All the rest is still there, heavily remodeled and mostly surrounded by enough new structure that the original stuff is almost invisible. Walk the tunnels from the satellites to baggage claim and you see the original, 55 year old mosaic walls.

Before you criticize the expense of the connector, consider all the functions it performs and the fact that it may be there for 50 years. Maybe much longer. Its worth it to build something reasonably nice if the difference between nice and bare bones isn't much. For example, if you put an extra $20,000,000 into "really nice" it comes down to about $1000 per day for the next 50 years. That will probably be way less than $1 per passenger using it. I admit that doesn't include the cost of money, but by the end of 50 years it will probably be equivalent to about $50-100 per day in current terms. Currently LAWA doesn't pay much on their bonds. And LAWA produces a profit every year.

mercure1

Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:28 pm

Looks nice, but agree its a lot of money for likely small percentage of user.

winginit

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Is it published anywhere when the baggage sorting facility will be complete?

MAH4546

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:20 pm

Quoting fbgdavidson (Reply 29):

Yes, you can, as long as you are not elite via AAdvantage.

Also, LAX-JFK/MIA premium passengers do get access to the OW Business lounge (if in 2-class F or 3-class J) or QF First lounge (if 3-class F).

N1120A

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:45 am

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 34):

Looks nice, but agree its a lot of money for likely small percentage of user.

Remember that AA operates flights from Bradley now. This includes both domestic and international flights. Additionally, what connections are had at LAX almost all involved by one of the airlines that is now connected to Bradley via this connector.

jsnww81

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:31 am

Took a walk through the new connector tonight when I arrived into T4. It's not as long of a walk as I imagined it'd be, although once inside TBIT it's a little bit of a schlep to the escalators that take you into the main departure hall. It'll definitely make life a lot easier for folks leaving on AA flights assigned to TBIT gates.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos