qf789
Topic Author

Australian Aviation Thread Part 137

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:14 pm

With over 200 replies in Australian Aviation Thread Part 136 (by qf789 Feb 8 2016 in Civil Aviation) Australian Aviation Thread Part 137 in now open for discussion

In Thread 136 we discussed

Airservices to trial new flight path at PER
VARA ops out of PER, which terminal
Philippine Airlines to increase MNL-DRW-BNE from 3 to 4 weekly
VA half year results
VA usage of E90 on SYD-MEL route
EK A380 bursts tyre on arrival to MEL, damages wing, 77W operates MEL-AKL instead
Airline loads from SYD/MEL/BNE to US
Virgin and Allicance announce strategic partnership for FIFO charter
Government approves Gold Coast airport redevelopment
UA performs well on SYD-SFO despite QF now operating the route
VA’s twitter account and Kayne West
QF and the A320
TG increases SYD from 10 to 11 weekly for NS16
VA flight to LAX diverted due to bomb hoax
MH to start operating reconfigured A333’s to SYD from 23 March, MEL 18 April, ADL 20 August & PER 10 September
CX to send A333 instead of 77W to SYD on selected services
CI to add 5th weekly flight to SYD between 7 July and 28 October 16
Sydney Airport expects to get Badgerys Creek contract this year
Construction for Forrestfield/Perth Airport Link to start by end of the year, first trains to run in 2020
AN225 to visit PER in April
QF first half results, record first half profit
744 fleet to remain at 11, OEB & OJM due for retirement in the coming months will remain in the fleet, no timeline on when 744’s will be withdrawn
QF to recruit 170 new pilots over the next 3 years
QF to roll out WIFI on domestic
QF to acquire 3 F100’s
QF to offer BNE-CHC year round
QF to increase PER-SIN to 10 weekly
CA adjusts SYD schedule for NS16
QF has no plans for A380 fleet to get new business class seats
REX posts first half loss
QF International growth in Asia
ACCC authorizes QF/AA alliance for 5 years
JB under pressure to improve VA’s cash flow issues
TK pushes back SYD until late 2016 or 2017 at earliest
Identity checks at domestic terminals
Government VIP jet replacement program
TG to offer double daily A359 flights by August
QF fleet utilization
Forum Moderator

Sydscott

RE: Australian Aviation Thread Part 137

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:50 pm

QF to codeshare on Air North services from Wellcamp

http://australianaviation.com.au/201...-on-airnorths-new-wellcamp-routes/

I've actually been wondering whether or not there is a place for a 70 to 80 seat regional jet to sit alongside the Q-400's in the Qantaslink fleet.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:43 am

TT521 emergency landing in MEL, smoke in cabin, passenger numbers are conflicting from news articles, some say 60 others say up to 90

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/dra...y/5ef13fd5df78f303dacca822384a7576
Forum Moderator

777Jet

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:24 am

From previous thread:

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 190):
Moreover, I have never seen the point of "no fly lists".

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the NW253 underwear bomber, was supposed to be on a no-fly list because IIRC his father voiced his concerns about him to the US Embassy / authorities but he wasn't placed on the list and almost succeeded in his attempt.

Also:

'New figures show an average of two Australians per day are being removed from flights by counter-terrorism units on national security grounds.'

""A large number of the passengers being “removed” are suspected of trying to reach the Middle East to join terrorism organisations.

Figures confirmed by Yahoo7 show that since August 2014, where counter terrorism units have been active there have been 652 “offloads” of passengers in total.

Mostly alarmingly however half of these “offloads” have reportedly occurred in the past seven months resulting in the rate of passenger “removal” increasing by around 60 per cent.""

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/30968182/two-australians-a-day-removed-from-flights-following-potential-security-risk-threats/

-between July 2015 - February 10 there have been 316 removals.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 190):
Even if I am a terror suspect so long as security checks as adequate and effective then I shouldn't have the means to cause any trouble.

The 9/11 hi-jackers just used box cutters and knives.

I'd hope a bad guy couldn't have a knife passed to them by one of their mates working in an air-side restaurant / shop.

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 193):
Yes, but my point is that they have gone through security, and should no longer possess the means to be a threat.

There are other security gaps at airports that you notice as staff. Having worked at a regional airport and a major international airport, I am still surprised how easy it would be to get things onto a plane that shouldn't have gotten there. I won't go into much detail, as I don't want to advertise any specific short falls.

I've seen staff at the air-side Subway using pretty big knives  
Quoting qf789 (Reply 194):
As previously reported TG will start A350-900 service to MEL from 1 July (TG465/466) and from 1 August TG461/462 will be operated by A350-900. Reservations are now open as reported by airline route over the weekend.

The TG fleet is starting to get more diverse again... So many different types for an airline of that size...

The A340s and A300s left which helped with fleet commonality (costs) but now 787s and A350s are / will be in.

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 195):
As this is TG, we will wait and see on this one

So true  
Quoting Flyingsottsman (Reply 202):
It takes more than 1 term of Government to fix the mess that a Rudd/Gillard/Rudd Government left.

DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

DeltaB717

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:34 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 3):
The A340s and A300s left

I did not realise the -600 had left already... guess that was the effect of the big batch of 77Ws that joined the fleet.

CXfirst

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:45 am

""A large number of the passengers being “removed” are suspected of trying to reach the Middle East to join terrorism organisations.

At least these still have to bypass international departures, where customs and the boarding gate go through ID checks.

-CXfirst

qf002

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:05 am

I'd hope a bad guy couldn't have a knife passed to them by one of their mates working in an air-side restaurant / shop.

It's okay, a quick ID check at the gate will stop them from getting on the aircraft  

Bluebird191

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:04 am

All this talk about ID checks has made me think - it's not totally fail safe or 100% accurat. What's to say someone is using a fake ID that by all accounts and purposes appears to be real? Or using an alias that not even the authorities are aware of. Yes, an ID check can be a very valid step of the airport process, but whether or not the relevant authorities want to bare the cost of putting it in a numerous airports for the sake of domestic flights - consider all the regional airports that need to be staffed. Too costly and too time consuming in my personal opinion.

Sydscott

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:49 am

Quoting Flyingsottsman (Reply 202):
It takes more than 1 term of Government to fix the mess that a Rudd/Gillard/Rudd Government left.

I disagree. It only takes 1 term to lay out a plan and sell the Australian Public on it to fix what was broken.

But I'd suggest we take a political discussion onto the non-av part of the site if we want to have one. Or is everyone as enamored as I am by the US elections as I am. (And the train wreck that's about to happen over there?)

pugsley

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:14 am

Quoting sydscott (Reply 1):
QF to codeshare on Air North services from Wellcamp

http://australianaviation.com.au/201...-on-airnorths-new-wellcamp-routes/

I've actually been wondering whether or not there is a place for a 70 to 80 seat regional jet to sit alongside the Q-400's in the Qantaslink fleet.

And an email today from airnorth (I'm booked on one of their WTB-MEL services) about their Melbourne services advise it will use T4 for their operation. With a QF codeshare this will make transfers between the two difficult - not impossible but as with JQ-QF transfers and vice versa it will be a treck between T1 and T4.

Quoting AirnorthReservationsemail:
Airnorth services will operate out of Terminal 4 at Tullamarine Airport for all Cairns, Toowoomba and Melbourne services.
A319/320/321, A332/3, A343, A359, A388, AT7, BAe146, B717, B733/4/5/G/H/9, B743/4/4ER, B762/3, B772/3, B788/9, Dash8, ERJ135, ERJ170/175

allrite

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:50 am

Quoting pugsley (Reply 9):
And an email today from airnorth (I'm booked on one of their WTB-MEL services) about their Melbourne services advise it will use T4 for their operation. With a QF codeshare this will make transfers between the two difficult - not impossible but as with JQ-QF transfers and vice versa it will be a treck between T1 and T4.

You know their best food is exported. You going to raid the cargo at the airport?  

I wonder how many transfers they'd be looking at anyway? Be interesting to know the passenger breakdown.
I like artificial banana essence!

BNE

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:51 am

A direct flight between Brisbane and Coffs Harbour is returning.

From the Coffs Coast Advocate

Quote:

Regional airline, Fly Corporate today announced the introduction of a direct air service between Coffs Harbour and Brisbane.

Starting on April 11, flights will depart Coffs Harbour from Monday to Saturday and depart Brisbane from Sunday to Friday.

The flights will leave Coffs Harbour at 7.15am and return from Brisbane at 5.30pm using a 34 seat Saab 340B Plus aircraft.

Anyone heard of them.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

skyhawkmatthew

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:16 am

Quoting BNE" class="quote" target="_blank">BNE (Reply 11):
Anyone heard of them.

It's actually Corporate Air, a fairly major charter operator, expanding into RPT operations. Presumably "Fly Corporate" is either their banner for their RPT ops or the result of a confused reporter!

There are rumblings that they are planning to launch BNE-ABX flights for the ski season, too.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:40 pm

QR908 inaugural flight to SYD is airborne, operated by 77W A7-BAO

http://www.flightradar24.com/QTR908/8f81965
Forum Moderator

777Jet

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:47 pm

Quoting qf002 (Reply 6):
It's okay, a quick ID check at the gate will stop them from getting on the aircraft

The best way to stop dangerous items from getting onto an aircraft is to have security screening at each departure gate lounge, like the current SIN / Changi model. Having said that, that is a very expensive type of security model to operate so the usual folks will complain about that.

Checking the ID of people boarding the plane is one of the only ways to make sure the person getting on the plane is who is named on the itinerary. If they are on a no-fly list or their name is flagged for whatever reason it will become known when the boarding pass is scanned. So should we not have a system in place that attempts to verify that the person who should be on the plane is the actual person on the plane just because some criminals attempt to use fake IDs or travel under false names? Perhaps if you or your family is on an incident flight in the future you might change your tone and lax attitude towards security.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

qfvhoqa

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:50 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 14):
The best way to stop dangerous items from getting onto an aircraft is to have security screening at each departure gate lounge

Is it?
It might be the best way to stop passengers and crew from bringing dangerous items onto an aircraft, but what about the myriad other airport workers who can access the plane? It is impossible to eliminate all risk so it becomes a judgement about whether the risk is severe enough to warrant protection from.

Checking the ID of people boarding the plane is one of the only ways to make sure the person getting on the plane is who is named on the itinerary.

Has there been any evidence that this increases the risk of an incident on board a domestic flight within Australia? The 9/11 perpetrators used their real names, so this check wouldn't have stopped them.

Perhaps if you or your family is on an incident flight in the future you might change your tone and lax attitude towards security.

This smacks of fear mongering. Is there a credible threat to the security of domestic flying within Australia? If criminals are travelling under false names (they likely have been), why hasn't there been an incident?

777Jet

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:53 am

Quoting qfvhoqa (Reply 15):
The best way to stop dangerous items from getting onto an aircraft is to have security screening at each departure gate lounge

Is it?
It might be the best way to stop passengers and crew from bringing dangerous items onto an aircraft,

Yes, I was referring to passengers as the discussion was about passenger security / ID measures.

what about the myriad other airport workers who can access the plane? It is impossible to eliminate all risk

Agreed that it is impossible to eliminate all risks, but does that mean we should not do more to reduce the risk? I don't think so.

Has there been any evidence that this increases the risk of an incident on board a domestic flight within Australia? The 9/11 perpetrators used their real names, so this check wouldn't have stopped them.

No-fly lists and the like were not as widely used back then anyway.

Also, perhaps they wouldn't have been able to get knives and box cutters onto the plane if there was gate screening (where did they get the knives / box cutters from?) - unless of course their cleaner mate stashed them under the seat for them.

Regarding Australia, we have been pretty safe so far, but the bikie brawl at SYD domestic in which one was killed was concerning. Now, would these people make a no-fly list in the future? I should think so. But, if they aren't checking ID then it won't matter because they can easily board a flight in the future or just enter the terminal given that anybody can. Yeah, they could get fake IDs and they probably would being criminals, but atm it's way too easy for anybody to get onto a domestic flight in Australia.

This smacks of fear mongering. Is there a credible threat to the security of domestic flying within Australia? If criminals are travelling under false names (they likely have been), why hasn't there been an incident?

You're right. My bad. I forgot that this was an aviation forum - 'Tombstone Mentality'

Let's wait until something happens before money is wasted and poor people are inconvenienced  

Sydscott

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:11 am

Checking the ID of people boarding the plane is one of the only ways to make sure the person getting on the plane is who is named on the itinerary.

What I go back to is that it is a criminal offence for a person who is not the named passenger on the boarding pass to travel on an aircraft. Apparently there have been 80 or so instances where this has occurred. I go back to the night club / registered club example where there is an efficient and relatively painless way of scanning Id's at the same time as the person is scanning a boarding pass. I really don't see how it adds that much cost, aside from cost of the terminals, or adds that much time to a boarding process.

qf002

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:17 am

So should we not have a system in place that attempts to verify that the person who should be on the plane is the actual person on the plane just because some criminals attempt to use fake IDs or travel under false names?

Please explain how an ID check achieves this.

My "tone" is directed squarely at your obsession with a solution that does nothing to tackle the problem. If you go back and read my posts in the last thread you'll find that I agree that screening could be better but that there are better ways to approach it (ie facial recognition technology) rather than some throwaway gesture designed to give the illusion of safety without doing much at all.

TruemanQLD

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:02 am

Checking the ID of people boarding the plane is one of the only ways to make sure the person getting on the plane is who is named on the itinerary. If they are on a no-fly list or their name is flagged for whatever reason it will become known when the boarding pass is scanned. So should we not have a system in place that attempts to verify that the person who should be on the plane is the actual person on the plane just because some criminals attempt to use fake IDs or travel under false names? Perhaps if you or your family is on an incident flight in the future you might change your tone and lax attitude towards security.
Quoting 777Jet (Reply 16):
Agreed that it is impossible to eliminate all risks, but does that mean we should not do more to reduce the risk? I don't think so.
Let's wait until something happens before money is wasted and poor people are inconvenienced  

By the very same (condescending) logic, we should have security and I.D. checks at all train stations (and bus stations). Someone could easily bring a gun, knife or even a bomb onto a packed train (600+ people) or bus (50+ people) and could cause significant fatalities. Perhaps if YOU or YOUR family is on an incident on a train or a bus in the future you might change your tone and lax attitude towards security  

Rather than appealing to fear, show us some actual evidence that I.D. checks will assist in stopping terrorism or other crimes that our current (or easier, less time consuming to implement) security measures cannot accomplish.

ERJ135

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:24 am

QR inaugural flight to SYD over flew the airport at 2000 feet heading north to the city and took a sightseeing tour of the harbour before heading south again, probably to join the regular flight path again.
Welcome to Sydney QR. They hope to go daily soon.
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:39 am

Quoting ERJ135 (Reply 20):
Welcome to Sydney QR. They hope to go daily soon.

When QR announced SYD it was announced as a daily service
Forum Moderator

CXfirst

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:00 am

Quoting ERJ135 (Reply 20):
They hope to go daily soon.

???

It is daily.

-CXfirst

ERJ135

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:36 pm

Yeah sorry maybe a bad translation, I received a message from QR stating, "We look forward to serving Sydney daily" which to me sounded future.
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

qfvhoqa

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:34 pm

No-fly lists and the like were not as widely used back then anyway.

Some of them were selected for extra baggage screening by CAPPS, as the threat to aircraft in those days was thought to be in checked baggage.

Also, perhaps they wouldn't have been able to get knives and box cutters onto the plane if there was gate screening (where did they get the knives / box cutters from?)

At the time those items were not prohibited on domestic flights in the USA.

Why spend money on protecting us from something that isn't a credible risk? This ID issue has only arisen to prevent criminals traveling under false names. It's not been shown that it will make domestic flying any safer.

Quoting sydscott (Reply 17):
What I go back to is that it is a criminal offence for a person who is not the named passenger on the boarding pass to travel on an aircraft.

I don't have an issue with ID being checked in order to fly domestically. The fact that your ID will be requested if you check in at a desk but not via other means is strange to me.
The argument that it makes flying safer is where I take issue.

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 19):
Rather than appealing to fear, show us some actual evidence that I.D. checks will assist in stopping terrorism or other crimes that our current (or easier, less time consuming to implement) security measures cannot accomplish.

777Jet

Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:17 pm

Quoting qf002 (Reply 18):
ID check
a solution that does nothing to tackle the problem.

Oh brother  
better ways to approach it (ie facial recognition technology)

Whilst that might detect a criminal whose face is already in the database, it doesn't address the following issue:

What I go back to is that it is a criminal offence for a person who is not the named passenger on the boarding pass to travel on an aircraft.

That is another reason I am for checking ID.

Also, without ID checks and matching the traveler to the booking, the following 'Name Change' fees / fare rules are somewhat irrelevant for anybody who knows you can practically get onto an Australian Domestic flight using anybody's booking as ID won't be checked:

Jetstar - ""Passenger Name Changes
Permitted upon payment of the applicable Change Fee and Fare Difference within Change Deadline.
Name changes can be made for an individual passenger on a booking, but must apply to all flights for that passenger. ""

People need not worry about this on domestic flights in Australia.

By the very same (condescending) logic, we should have security and I.D. checks at all train stations (and bus stations). Someone could easily bring a gun, knife or even a bomb onto a packed train (600+ people) or bus (50+ people) and could cause significant fatalities.

Last time I checked passenger aircraft seemed to be the top prized trophy of terrorists given that there is something more 'spectacular' about bringing down an aircraft...

Perhaps if YOU or YOUR family is on an incident on a train or a bus in the future you might change your tone and lax attitude towards security

Are you the annoying little girl who sat next to me in kindergarten repeating whatever I said like a parrot?  

A35J

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:53 am

www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airways-to-fl...=flipper&utm_campaign=home-flipper

It looks like SYD is getting QR's A380 from June! Really exciting news!

smi0006

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:40 am

Also, perhaps they wouldn't have been able to get knives and box cutters onto the plane if there was gate screening (where did they get the knives / box cutters from?) - unless of course their cleaner mate stashed them under the seat

Smashed wine bottle would be equally dangerous, we still allow glass on aircraft and through security. We ban liquids gels and aerosols internationally, but we don't check the contents of colostomy bags? The real issues is accurate intelligence, as mentioned above we will never be able to remove every threat, but we can remove sensible and credible ones.

Regarding Australia, we have been pretty safe so far, but the bikie brawl at SYD domestic in which one was killed was concerning

Which could have as easily happened in a shopping centre. What was again of more concern, but was overlooked was the slow response time of the Police...

Quoting qf789 (Reply 21):
When QR announced SYD it was announced as a daily service

Very very surprised it's going to seasonal A380. I would have thought their niche in Melbourne would have been a more mature market and warranted this. I would say a prestige choice to compete with the other two.

IndianicWorld

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:18 am

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 27):
Very very surprised it's going to seasonal A380. I would have thought their niche in Melbourne would have been a more mature market and warranted this. I would say a prestige choice to compete with the other two.

The way that QR work I am not surprised. They work in strange ways  

It goes against all the talk around really about their next move.

CXfirst

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:47 am

Quoting qfvhoqa (Reply 24):
I don't have an issue with ID being checked in order to fly domestically. The fact that your ID will be requested if you check in at a desk but not via other means is strange to me.

From an operations view. It seems that having ID checks at check-in is more to reduce errors at check-in rather than make sure the right person flies. We hear about incidents where a check-in agent checks in the wrong person, because all they were given was a name which they misheard, and it results in 2 passengers ending up with the same boarding pass, causing issues at the gate.

Security might be a second benefit to ID at check-in, but really, it has more to do with reducing check-in errors and being able to charge name change charges.

International check-in is a whole different subject.

-CXfirst

BAeRJ100

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:35 am

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 29):
We hear about incidents where a check-in agent checks in the wrong person, because all they were given was a name which they misheard, and it results in 2 passengers ending up with the same boarding pass, causing issues at the gate.

Sorry, I know this is a bit of a tangent from the actual topic (upping security checks), but as someone who has been both a check-in agent and cabin crew, it really amazes me when this very thing actually does happen...

I worked check-in for Skywest in the pre-VARA days, and had it drilled into my head that ID must absolutely be checked, and there was a specific procedure for if someone tried to check in under a name that already had a boarding pass issued (that boarding had to be notified and anyone found with a pass with that name must be held until all other passengers had boarded so that it could be verified who was who). I now travel with VA quite a bit, who outsources their ground services to the same company I worked for (Aero-Care) and now uses the same check-in system (SABRE), and the only time I have been asked for ID is if I was connecting onto an international service. I have never been asked for ID when checking in for a domestic-only service. Then there's articles like this one from a few days ago where VA issued a boarding pass to a passenger apparently flying QF. It seems like the girl supposed to be traveling with QF doesn't speak English as her first language, and the only similarity was in their last names which wasn't even identical. I simply can't fathom how she got a VA boarding pass... showing a QF itinerary for a VA service should have set off alarm bells with the agent, but if she had shown ID instead the agent should have picked up that the name they were selecting didn't perfectly match? When I was cabin crew I saw it a few times, and even though it can be fixed pretty quickly with an ID check and liaising with ground staff, I simply don't get how it can happen with set procedures in place. I also doubt the intelligence of the passengers in some of these cases, is it that they can't be bothered making sure they have the correct boarding pass, or do they notice the wrong name and just go along with it?
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

qf002

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:39 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 25):
Whilst that might detect a criminal whose face is already in the database, it doesn't address the following issue:

That is another reason I am for checking ID.

Despite:

they could get fake IDs and they probably would being criminals

?????

[Edited 2016-03-02 21:40:37]

edmountain

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:42 pm

Speculation on the interwebs that QR will add a 5th Australian destination (Brisbane?) by the end of the year.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/bus...y/a613cd5f68611f3cd923cb004909809f

http://centreforaviation.com/news/qa...ustralia-in-the-near-future-531106

IndianicWorld

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:30 am

Talk going around seems to suggest there are still more changes to be announced from QR on their existing Australian network.. We wait and see  Smile
Quoting edmountain (Reply 32):
Speculation on the interwebs that QR will add a 5th Australian destination (Brisbane?) by the end of the year.

Given that it will need a bi-lateral increase to occur, it would have to be BNE they are aiming at.

They can currently fly into other destinations (outside of MEL,SYD,BNE and PER) without encountering those issues.

[Edited 2016-03-03 16:44:25]

TN486

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:55 am

Are you the annoying little girl who sat next to me in kindergarten repeating whatever I said like a parrot?  

No disrespect to anyone on this thread, but that is a funny comment, I needed a laugh today, thank you.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

A35J

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:42 am

While I probably sound like a broken record, CBR is still a real possibility despite SQ's arrival. An A350 would be an exciting addition.

IndianicWorld

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:50 am

Quoting A35J (Reply 35):
While I probably sound like a broken record, CBR is still a real possibility despite SQ's arrival. An A350 would be an exciting addition.

Given that even SQ had reservations about servicing CBR as a stand-alone destination, as it only really stacked up with the WLG tag, I really don't see it sorry.

SIN is a shorter route that still offers significant connectivity to Europe, plus the advantages of the Asian network.

eta unknown

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:22 am

JQ BNE-HNL getting the chop- to be replaced with BNE-HKT.

6thfreedom

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:40 am

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 37):
JQ BNE-HNL getting the chop

confirmed

to be replaced with BNE-HKT.

unconfirmed. reports say focus is on Phuket and Bali, no necessarily from Brisbane.
This could mean the B787 going out of Brisbane and into Melbourne or Sydney to increase frequency to Phuket and Bali.

777Jet

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:45 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 31):

Sounds like you are assuming that all criminals using fake IDs won't get caught out with their fake ID?

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 29):
it has more to do with reducing check-in errors and being able to charge name change charges.

Without the ID check at the gate that little bit extra additional revenue airlines can get from name change charges, or re-selling seats in cancelled bookings, is sometimes missed. I couldn't make a overnight return trip once and my friend wanted to go just for the flights so I just gave him my booking code and he checked in online and flew under my name without any problem at all because we obviously knew that no ID would be checked as it was a SYD-PER-SYD booking. It was 100% non-refundable so there was no benefit to me to cancel so I just let my friend try and go knowing he wouldn't be carded - but if I cancelled the airline would have kept my money and at that stage might have been able to sell that seat that I had already paid for for a lot more! Was a law breached? Yes. But at the end of the day that is what happens when simple measures such as ID checks don't happen. If we knew that ID gets checked we wouldn't have bothered. Anyway, my friend appreciated the lack of 'security' because he got to log his first 332  

TruemanQLD

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:57 am

Would have to be BNE

JQ BNE-HNL getting the chop- to be replaced with BNE-HKT.

Shame. Though hopefully this will help HA stay on the route. Would love to see BNE-HKT, however given they only run SYD/MEL-HKT 3x weekly each it would seem unlikely they could manage BNE-HKT 2 or 3x weekly. Assuming DPS and HKT are the same/very similar markets ex-Oz, BNE-DPS is a much smaller market than MEL/SYD-DPS, even when considering population.

Having said that, it could see the additional frequencies go into BNE-DPS to make it daily (currently 4x weekly) where JQ is the only LCC (currently) in the market and VA is likely looking at exiting to TT anyway.

eta unknown

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:37 am

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 40):
Though hopefully this will help HA stay on the route.

HA are now timetabled to operate 3x/week in low season- think starts in OCT and JQ pulls the plug end of OCT. Interestingly JQ said the BNE-HNL route was experiencing a "moderate" decline in pax bookings... well "moderate" doesn't warrant axing a route, so the lack of demand situation must be more extreme.

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 38):
unconfirmed. reports say focus is on Phuket and Bali, no necessarily from Brisbane.

My bad- yes you are correct- the extra HKT flights could be additional SYD/MEL.

TruemanQLD

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:05 am

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 41):
HA are now timetabled to operate 3x/week in low season- think starts in OCT and JQ pulls the plug end of OCT. Interestingly JQ said the BNE-HNL route was experiencing a "moderate" decline in pax bookings... well "moderate" doesn't warrant axing a route, so the lack of demand situation must be more extreme.

Though it's only a relatively new route to start with (started Dec 2014) so loads might not have been that good at any point and the decline now has just made it worse.

Anyone want to bet where the extra capacity will go? Surely SYD/MEL-DPS must be hurting with XT on the route, so maybe add an extra weekly service to both SYD/MEL-HKT?

sq256

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:22 am

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 41):

Travel Daily magazines confirms JQ's BNE-HNL axing, however mentions of HA looking at frequency increases (including talk of going Daily during the holiday peak seasons) into the BNE-HNL route, as it seems HA is the stronger player on the BNE-HNL route plus has the hub at the HNL end for feed.

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 42):
Anyone want to bet where the extra capacity will go? Surely SYD/MEL-DPS must be hurting with XT on the route, so maybe add an extra weekly service to both SYD/MEL-HKT?

Wouldn't surprise me if JQ puts an extra frequency on SYD/MEL-HKT, plus possibly consolidating themselves on BNE-DPS in a attempt to force VA out (and subsequently replace themselves with their TT low-cost subsidiary using more damp-leased 738s).

[Edited 2016-03-04 00:28:54]

PoleHillSid

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Last time I checked passenger aircraft seemed to be the top prized trophy of terrorists given that there is something more 'spectacular' about bringing down an aircraft...

But the cockpit doors are locked on all flights. How is someone going to bring down an aircraft just by being on it? Explosives are checked for at security. A gun or knife isn't enough.

As somebody else mentioned, a person with malicious intent could get onto a train, a bus, or a Lindt Cafe and cause harm. Should you now need to provide ID when buying a hot chocolate?

JQflightie

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:08 am

I'm going to add my 2 cents to the debate re ID Checks and No Fly Lists.
I was boarding a flight the other week in PER and the AFP did a random spot check on my flight and made every single customer show ID before boarding the flight, they did it all day on random flights, and it's happening more and more.
And there is a 'sort of' no fly list, however not mandated by the Govt. but QF Group do have a List/Group of pax who get bans which will not even let them make bookings under their name.
Although ID checks for domestic travel maybe a thing of the past, once you get onboard a aircraft and we think there is something not right with a pax, there are means and ways of getting I'd checks done after take off.
When is my next holiday?

eta unknown

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:17 am

Quoting JQflightie (Reply 45):
I was boarding a flight the other week in PER and the AFP did a random spot check on my flight and made every single customer show ID before boarding the flight, they did it all day on random flights, and it's happening more and more.

But did they match the ID to the boarding pass??? I'm hoping the answer is yes...

Quoting sq256 (Reply 43):
however mentions of HA looking at frequency increases (including talk of going Daily during the holiday peak seasons) into the BNE-HNL route, as it seems HA is the stronger player on the BNE-HNL route plus has the hub at the HNL end for feed.

Haven't heard about the peak season increases, but it's not hard to fill an aircraft ex Australia during the DEC/JAN school peak holiday season. I doubt HA is the stronger player- JQ has an Australian frequent flyer data base much larger than HA and JQ uses this very effectively to sell seats way in advance. While HA has a large US data base, most HNL-BNE traffic is BNE originating.

777Jet

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:32 am

Quoting PoleHillSid (Reply 44):
But the cockpit doors are locked on all flights. How is someone going to bring down an aircraft just by being on it? Explosives are checked for at security. A gun or knife isn't enough.

If you use your imagination you might be able to think of some terrible circumstances in which the pilots might feel obligated to open the cockpit door... Regardless of policy / procedure, pilots are human at the end of the day.

As somebody else mentioned, a person with malicious intent could get onto a train, a bus, or a Lindt Cafe and cause harm. Should you now need to provide ID when buying a hot chocolate?

Apples and oranges.

The AFP asked to check IDs - they must have had a reason?

Do they have different rules when it comes to checking IDs regarding just one passenger or every single passenger?

And there is a 'sort of' no fly list, however not mandated by the Govt. but QF Group do have a List/Group of pax who get bans which will not even let them make bookings under their name.

Well, without ID checking, they could make a booking under any name and probably make it on to any domestic flight, that is, if they are willing to forget about earning ff points  

TruemanQLD

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:47 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 47):
Apples and oranges.

How? Because it doesn't suit your argument?

While there are (extreme) ways to get around this, we can never be 100% secure. If ID. checks made us 100% secure I might support them but they don't. They just waste time.

IndianicWorld

Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:11 am

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 48):
While there are (extreme) ways to get around this, we can never be 100% secure. If ID. checks made us 100% secure I might support them but they don't. They just waste time.

Don't agree sorry.

ID checks may not make things 100% safer but they do still go a long way to either deterring or catching some members of society that should not be aboard planes.

Wasting time may be your take on it, but the reality is that there are far more important things than your time when considering these things.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos