Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Ammad
Topic Author
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:10 pm

Passenger Removed From Flight Due To Weight Limitation

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:01 pm

A man weighing 175 pounds says he was forcibly removed from a flight because he weighed too much.

Illinois dentist Dan Nykaza was preparing for takeoff on an American Airlines Envoy regional flight departing from O'Hare to Salt Lake City when he and another passenger were booted from the aircraft to reduce the weight, reports ABC7 Chicago.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/0... ... too-heavy/

175 pound is not much of weight, why he was removed?
Last edited by qf789 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling in title
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3636
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Quoting Ammad (Thread starter):
175 pound is not much of weight, why he was removed?

The flight was probably weight restricted. Not because he was heavy, because the airplane had too much total weight to operate safely.

http://www.myairlineflight.com/weight-restricted.html
 
deltaffindfw
Posts: 1520
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:42 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:09 pm

This is such crap reporting. It was a weight restricted RJ flight. The FA even told him that he was removed because the last two people to check in were the unlucky ones. No one took the option of being voluntarily bumped and get a voucher. It has nothing to do with *his* weight.
 
Ammad
Topic Author
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:10 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:09 pm

Yes, i think the Article is misleading. He may be removed due to fact that he was the last one to checked in. Not because of his 175 LBs.
 
Tdan
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:36 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:11 pm

Why is this news??? Flight was weight restricted and an IDB situation occurred. Happens all the time and the guy received compensation.
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth, a thousand leagues away our land of birth... -Captain Bruce
 
COEWR787
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:35 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:28 pm

Yeah. I used to virtually live on those compensations from denied boarding due to weight restrictions on Denver Stapleton to Salt Lake City flights back in the '90s   Used to happen almost every week when I was weekly commuting from EWR to SLC by UA.
 
User avatar
CrimsonNL
Posts: 2187
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:34 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:47 pm

175lbs for a grown man isn't a lot at all I'd say..

Anyway, standard assumed weights per passenger will be used. Not sure what they are at Envoy, but every male (or possibly adult) passenger over 12 years old will have the same assumed weight. Nothing discriminatory going on here.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine
 
copter808
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2000 1:14 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:19 am

Quoting deltaffindfw (Reply 2):
This is such crap reporting. It was a weight restricted RJ flight. The FA even told him that he was removed because the last two people to check in were the unlucky ones. No one took the option of being voluntarily bumped and get a voucher. It has nothing to do with *his* weight.

I saw this the night it was on the news. The reporter seemed to have no concept of the fact that airplanes have certain limits.

I have to give the reporter credit though. He had a story either way; "Airline throws passenger off because he was too heavy"; or "Airline flies overweight airplanes contrary to safety!"
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 4075
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:32 am

Wow.

That is some of the most senstionalistic and just plain bad aviation reporting I have ever seen...

Shame on that station...
 
nitepilot79
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:10 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:36 am

Article states that he and the other individual were picked because they were the last 2 to check in. Seems like an "einie-mieinie-minie-moe" or something would have been fair. Picking 2 people to bump because they were last to check in, comes across like punishment for being the last two to show...

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/0...d-from-flight-for-being-too-heavy/

Article quote:

"...he and the other passenger were told they were the last to check in, so they were out."
 
hz747300
Posts: 2420
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:38 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:23 am

I think it makes sense, if it has to happen at all, to pick the last people to check in. At least it's a system and not say, random, or rock/paper/scissors.

I recall two incidents similar on American Commuter flights. One, was from IAD to HPN on a Saab 340, and the flight attendant was asking people their weight, and one lady snapped, "what did you say?" The FA said she wasn't being fresh, rather she needed to balance the plane. A handful of couples on the 1-2 in the 2 were split, but my wife and I were allowed to sit together in the last row.

The other was a PHX to LAX E145 flight. This was crazy. The flight was already two hours late, and we had boarded and were in our seats. I don't know about the weight, but the guy doing the bags came on board and said to the FA that there was no room in the back for two bags. Everyone heard him. They debated what to do, and they said that they would try to fit the bags in the closet in the front (the last two to board appeared to be an AA pilot and AA FA dead heading). When that didn't work us passengers volunteered to try to rearrange the bags to make room inside the cabin, but they both had rolling carryon suitcases, at which point the FA asked both of them to deplane. Ironically, this was after the merger announcement between AA and Cactus, but before it closed. I remember thinking, why in the h3ll are they trying to squeeze on this flight when there are two A321s going to LAX at the same time.

Things like this do happen, and with compensation and if the process is 'fair', there shouldn't be a problem. Imagine if they did it by fare paid? So the two who paid the least or were on Priceline tickets got the boot.
Keep on truckin'...
 
BOS2LAF
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:21 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:40 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 9):
Article states that he and the other individual were picked because they were the last 2 to check in. Seems like an "einie-mieinie-minie-moe" or something would have been fair. Picking 2 people to bump because they were last to check in, comes across like punishment for being the last two to show...

This is pretty standard across the industry, and is in the contracts of carriage.

Solicit volunteers first, if no volunteers, the last to check in are SOL.

...If you consider a $1350 check to be SOL. That's my own companies' compensation for involuntarily denying boarding, and I *think* that amount is federally-mandated.
 
smi0006
Posts: 2608
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:48 am

Last to checkin is strange, most airlines I've delt with use the cheapest ticket rule, combined with FF status. Saves kicking off HVCs, and means it's black and white.
 
Passedv1
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:40 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:59 am

Doesn't matter male or female....just adult or child.

There are standard weights for everything...small bag...double bag, golf clubs, carry-on carried in cabin, carry-on gate checked the carried in cargo, etc.

There is also a standard weight for a pilot and a standard weight for a FA.

Incidentally, the regs allow every airline to use actual weights for people and/or bags if they ever wanted to. I can see not wanting to have to weigh your pax when you don't already do so...but every checked bag has been weighed for the past 10 years give or take...yet no airline chooses to use actual weights...hmm, I wonder which weigh the balance is tilted if we could compare the calculated weight(using assumed weights) of the airplane to the actual weight of the airplane.
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2280
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:11 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 9):
Seems like an "einie-mieinie-minie-moe" or something would have been fair. Picking 2 people to bump because they were last to check in, comes across like punishment for being the last two to show...

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/0...d-from-flight-for-being-too-heavy/

Wouldn't it be easier to remove checked luggage if they bumped passengers based on check-in time? As the last two to check-in their bags would also be the last to be loaded hence easiest to access.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
WearyDrover
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:12 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:15 am

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 15):
Wouldn't it be easier to remove checked luggage if they bumped passengers based on check-in time? As the last two to check-in their bags would also be the last to be loaded hence easiest to access.

Are bags actually loaded in order of check-in?

Airlines claim that premium passengers get their bags first so presumably premium passengers bags would have to be first off (most easily accessible). Hence my question.
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2280
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:18 am

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 16):
Airlines claim that premium passengers get their bags first so presumably premium passengers bags would have to be first off (most easily accessible). Hence my question.

I would assume that premium & FF status baggage are segregated, no?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
ikramerica
Posts: 15136
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:55 am

Happened to me once at MIA on AE to EYW. late connection, last to board, had to be offloaded. Put onto a USAir commuter including amenity kit and various other items to compensate for fact luggage wouldn't arrive with me.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
a380787
Posts: 4573
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:38 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:09 am

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 17):

Usually they're mixed in together with the same "priority tag" domestically. Certain long haul flights can have a separate "first class" tag that's supposed to be fastest to come out.

But a lot is also dependent on your check in time. And not all airports follow tag priorities 100% so there's only a general sense of priority, nothing truly guaranteed.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3177
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:20 am

Quoting Tdan (Reply 4):


Why is this news??? Flight was weight restricted and an IDB situation occurred. Happens all the time and the guy received compensation.

The general public, and most in the media, do not understand anything about aviation. That includes weight and balance of airplanes.
 
nitepilot79
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:10 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:10 am

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 15):
As the last two to check-in their bags would also be the last to be loaded hence easiest to access.

Thanks for being extra thorough, professor.
 
User avatar
moo
Posts: 5109
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 2:27 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:45 am

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 9):
Seems like an "einie-mieinie-minie-moe" or something would have been fair. Picking 2 people to bump because they were last to check in, comes across like punishment for being the last two to show...

Why does it need to be fair?
 
bond007
Posts: 4428
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:07 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:06 pm

Quoting BOS2LAF (Reply 12):
This is pretty standard across the industry, and is in the contracts of carriage.

Solicit volunteers first, if no volunteers, the last to check in are SOL.

...If you consider a $1350 check to be SOL. That's my own companies' compensation for involuntarily denying boarding, and I *think* that amount is federally-mandated.

Usually there is a clause that also adds something like, 'FF status, and ticket price may be considered'

The $1350 is a maximum amount AFAIK. It is based on 200% of one-way fare or $675 max if 1-2 hours delay, or 400% or $1350 max for more than 2 hours.

But, I see for AA, if it's 60 seats or less....."If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of ‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:..On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or ..."


Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3782
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:12 pm

Quoting nitepilot79 (Reply 9):
Picking 2 people to bump because they were last to check in, comes across like punishment for being the last two to show...

So if your late to the bakery and your at the end of the line and you get to your turn & they are out of your favorite item I assume you think they should make another full batch of your item because your late? The last 2 to show up and check in are the most fair to bump. They could have showed up earlier and then it would have been 2 others. Ennie minnie mine moe would make the professional crew look like they were stupid.
 
MSJYOP28Apilot
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:09 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:05 pm

Maybe the question should be why is AA using a plane that is every day up against structural max takeoff weight? With no alternate fuel and very little extra fuel, the ORD-SLC CR7 flights come in between 72-75K on takeoff weight depending on the winds. The payloads are in the 11-13,000 lb range. If an alternate was required for SLC, the offload would be pretty stiff with those payloads. Maybe a CR9, E175, or A319 would be more suited for this route.
 
Woodreau
Posts: 2070
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 6:44 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:10 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 23):
But, I see for AA, if it's 60 seats or less....."If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of ‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:..On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or ..."

But it is not, on AA an E175 is either 76 or 80 seats.

The passenger didn't weigh 175, he and the other passenger counted for 390lbs (195lbs per adult winter weight) as an E-175 is an carry-on airplane.

If the aircraft was an CRJ-700 or Embraer 140/145, then he and the other passenger counted for 378lbs (189lbs per adult winter weight) as carry-on bags are not allowed and must be gate checked.

As much as people who commented on the article were adamant that cargo be offloaded before passengers, in Denver on AA, they did just that.

Our normal 65 passenger CRJ-700 was flying DEN to LAX and that day was weight restricted to 56 passengers. After everyone was boarded and baggage loaded, the outside air temperature increased from 36degrees C to 38degrees C which weight restricted us to 50 passengers or offload 1100lbs or a combination of passenger and baggage.

Understandably there were no volunteers, so after 20 minutes, we left DEN with 56 passengers and no baggage , trying to leave before the temperature increased further (to 39 degrees C) and would force us to be even more weight restricted. Basically no one had any bags to claim in LA when they got there because their bags got left in Denver.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.
 
highflier92660
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:16 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:30 pm

There should be a happy medium between the almost intentional aeronautical idiocy contained in the article and someone like Woodreau who is undoubtedly a type-rated airline pilot.

The implication was John Q. Traveler aboard the Envoy CJR7 was a slim guy as opposed to Haystack Calhoun who has everyone from dispatch to pilots frantically recalculating weight & balance. For people watching the news report who haven't traveled the regional airlines of America recently, the implicit message was every passenger was now required to step on a scale prior to boarding; heck we don't know anything about an FAA standard passenger weight.

So here was another hapless passenger- and a skinny one too after following the Dan Marino babe-magnet diet- who was unjustly tossed-off a plane so it could take-off safely below MGTOW.  
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6488
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:51 pm

Quoting Passedv1 (Reply 14):
Doesn't matter male or female....just adult or child.

It doesn't normally ... but it can. If loads are getting close to limits, often Load Control will do a Male/Female/Child split. Otherwise, every seat is occupied by an adult weighing 88 Kgs.

Quoting Passedv1 (Reply 14):
I wonder which weigh the balance is tilted if we could compare the calculated weight(using assumed weights) of the airplane to the actual weight of the airplane.

In Canada, Transport Canada does "audits" of passenger and bag weights. More than once, I have seen a couple scales/pads in the bridge, attached to laptop computers and every crewmember and passenger will be weighed. If standard weights were not accurate, then likely they would be changed.

Interestingly, in addition to seasonal changes as you note ... weights also vary by destination.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!
 
access-air
Posts: 1577
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 5:30 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:41 pm

This is why airlines using their own metal with full sized airliners is better than using the RJs....
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!
 
canyonblue17
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:22 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:43 pm

Crap. Sensational. Total lack of understanding. Lazy journalism.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full
 
alasizon
Posts: 2916
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:53 pm

Quoting Woodreau (Reply 26):
As much as people who commented on the article were adamant that cargo be offloaded before passengers, in Denver on AA, they did just that.

Our normal 65 passenger CRJ-700 was flying DEN to LAX and that day was weight restricted to 56 passengers. After everyone was boarded and baggage loaded, the outside air temperature increased from 36degrees C to 38degrees C which weight restricted us to 50 passengers or offload 1100lbs or a combination of passenger and baggage.

Understandably there were no volunteers, so after 20 minutes, we left DEN with 56 passengers and no baggage , trying to leave before the temperature increased further (to 39 degrees C) and would force us to be even more weight restricted. Basically no one had any bags to claim in LA when they got there because their bags got left in Denver.

And I'm sure the ground crew later got grief about that. The reason it is pax before bags is that I have to pull ~6 bags versus one passenger. Given I work in PHX and have plenty of heat unfriendly CRJs on a daily basis, it becomes a science and you quickly can find bags that will fit in the overhead or underneath an unoccupied window seat (window seats have to be used first since you can't block the aisle). Sometimes what it comes down to is another passenger can get on but they must not have a gate check or be willing to leave it behind. Either way, we always are supposed to pull pax before bags unless the passenger that would get booted wants their bags pulled off and that is enough to keep us good on weight.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
airtran737
Posts: 3499
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:47 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:53 pm

Quoting access-air (Reply 29):
This is why airlines using their own metal with full sized airliners is better than using the RJs.

Happens on mainline all of the time as well. It's not just an RJ problem. Try taking an A321 on a transcon, or flying out of EYW, or a 739 out of SNA to the east coast.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1511
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:13 pm

I guess I've been lucky. I've never seen a passenger removed for weight. Bags yes. Cargo yes. Passengers moved to balance the aircraft, yes. But never a passenger removed.

On another note, how long is a flight from ORD to SLC on an RJ? The article mentions AA Envoy - just checking they seem to fly CRJ700's on the route.

I typically see weight restrictions and balancing on RJ135/145. I don't think I've ever experienced it on a CRJ 700 (or CRJ 900 / E175/ E190 for that matter).

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it struck me as unusual.

Maybe headwinds were fierce that day? Just looking on flight aware, AA seems to have a decent number of cancellations on that route recently.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90
 
a380787
Posts: 4573
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:38 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:18 pm

It's funny .... the average US male weights 194.7 lbs, so 175 is already BELOW the mean. Ridiculous to even attempt to spin it into anything.
 
757SanCam
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:32 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:19 pm

If this is indeed a weight restricted flight, why even sell the 2 seats? Happens all the time on west coast 737 flights in the winter to Hawaii. Simple solution, leave 2 seats unsold, and if flight weight is under restrictions, open up seats to stand by, just sayin'!
 
Hagic
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:19 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:41 pm

Quoting canyonblue17 (Reply 30):
Crap. Sensational. Total lack of understanding. Lazy journalism.

This is the 'journalism' of the XXI century: no sales and living off online advertisement of miraculous weight loss solutions.
There's only one freedom of the press: The freedom of the survivors - (G. Arciniegas)
 
bohica
Posts: 2462
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:21 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:49 pm

Quoting Ammad (Thread starter):
A man weighing 175 pounds says he was forcibly removed from a flight because he weighed too much.

        

I call bullshit.

Quoting Tdan (Reply 4):
Why is this news??? Flight was weight restricted and an IDB situation occurred. Happens all the time and the guy received compensation.

        

Thank you very much. End of discussion,
 
User avatar
malaysia
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 1999 3:26 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:34 pm

Quoting 757SanCam (Reply 35):
If this is indeed a weight restricted flight, why even sell the 2 seats? Happens all the time on west coast 737 flights in the winter to Hawaii. Simple solution, leave 2 seats unsold, and if flight weight is under restrictions, open up seats to stand by, just sayin'!

Bag/cargo count may be much lower at day of flight, so no restriction met and weather conditions. better to sell all the seats they can possibly?
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens
 
coolian2
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:02 pm

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 32):
Try taking an A321 on a transcon, or flying out of EYW, or a 739 out of SNA to the east coast.

Huh? Current build A321s have effectively no issues with transcons, and find me a 739 scheduled out of SNA anywhere.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900
 
nonrev
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:46 am

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:02 am

Not a news story, really. Does remind me of a situation where a friend and his girlfriend were flying back sub-load. Flight was weight restricted and despite them both being sat in F class, with champagne in hand, one had to disembark. Being that she had taken more leave, and he had to be back at work, she reluctantly got off and waited for next flight. She would be marginally over 100lbs wet-through.
 
Ammad
Topic Author
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:10 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:23 am

Quoting bohica (Reply 37):

Quoting Ammad (Thread starter):
A man weighing 175 pounds says he was forcibly removed from a flight because he weighed too much.

        

I call bullshit.

Thanks Captain obvious. Every body infer the same.

Also, fore mention statement is coming from this new article as i mentioned earlier.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/0...d-from-flight-for-being-too-heavy/
 
N1120A
Posts: 26659
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:40 pm

RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:54 am

What a ridiculous headline. Typical False News.

Weight restrictions happen fairly frequently, especially RJs
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss
 
vr-hkg
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2001 7:32 am

Re: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:36 pm

Genuine question: Assuming he was a ticketed passenger, why would he be removed instead of baggage of the same weight? Surely it's more important that a passenger arrives on time than that their bags do?
 
wn676
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

Re: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:44 pm

vr-hkg wrote:
Genuine question: Assuming he was a ticketed passenger, why would he be removed instead of baggage of the same weight? Surely it's more important that a passenger arrives on time than that their bags do?


It takes about seven standard-weight checked bags to equal the weight of one adult passenger. The customer service impact stemming from that kind of policy is likely more far reaching than removing passengers first.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 13930
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: RE: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:08 pm

nitepilot79 wrote:
Seems like an "einie-mieinie-minie-moe" or something

...careful: saying THAT on an airplane can get you sued!
Just ask WN. :lol:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1772
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:11 pm

wn676 wrote:
vr-hkg wrote:
Genuine question: Assuming he was a ticketed passenger, why would he be removed instead of baggage of the same weight? Surely it's more important that a passenger arrives on time than that their bags do?


It takes about seven standard-weight checked bags to equal the weight of one adult passenger. The customer service impact stemming from that kind of policy is likely more far reaching than removing passengers first.


But this is ORD-SLC we're talking about. Three airlines fly that route - AA, UA, DL. Yes, it might have been an inconvenience to not have your luggage arrive with you, but surely AA could have delivered the bags within the next 3-4 hours, whether it was on another AA flight, or paying UA or DL to take them. I would argue that removing passengers has a much greater customer service impact than removing luggage. Doesn't seem like a bright move on AA's part.
 
seatrump
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:33 am

Re: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:27 pm

This is standard at my airline also to remove a passenger. They will ask for volunteers first, if none, the agent will go find a no-status passenger on a low fare and have them dragged off.

If we were to remove up 7 bags instead we now have 7 pissed off pax instead of 1 and we have to deliver all of those bags which is expensive. Also, we now have to go through and find the bags of no status pax because we sure as hell aren't leaving the bags of frequent fliers behind.... This means digging in the cargo pit and searching bag tags and comparing to a pax list. How long do you think this will take? We now have an entire plane of pissed off pax...

Much easier to remove a pax, trust me. The passenger selected, he could have been 90lbs or 300lbs, that makes no difference. We count them all the same.
 
wn676
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

Re: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:33 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
wn676 wrote:
vr-hkg wrote:
Genuine question: Assuming he was a ticketed passenger, why would he be removed instead of baggage of the same weight? Surely it's more important that a passenger arrives on time than that their bags do?


It takes about seven standard-weight checked bags to equal the weight of one adult passenger. The customer service impact stemming from that kind of policy is likely more far reaching than removing passengers first.


But this is ORD-SLC we're talking about. Three airlines fly that route - AA, UA, DL. Yes, it might have been an inconvenience to not have your luggage arrive with you, but surely AA could have delivered the bags within the next 3-4 hours, whether it was on another AA flight, or paying UA or DL to take them. I would argue that removing passengers has a much greater customer service impact than removing luggage. Doesn't seem like a bright move on AA's part.


Same could be said for rerouting the passenger. Look at it this way, 7 bags is 6 more complaints, 6 more times to mess something up compared to removing just that one passenger. And what if you're over by, say, the weight of 5 passengers? Now you're looking at potentially up to 32 bags removed. On an RJ, that's nearly half of the passengers on the aircraft that will be affected. And then take into consideration that not all of those affected passengers will remain in the vicinity of the destination airport; if someone is arriving at SLC and then driving 3 hours away, now the airline also has to pay for those bags to be delivered that much farther, which is not cheap. It's simply not worth it to remove bags before pax, to the airline and the majority of their customers.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.
 
User avatar
thekorean
Posts: 1799
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Re: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:53 pm

If they checked in on time this is unfair.

Unload the fattest ones. They should be encouraged to lose weight anyway.
 
wn676
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

Re: Passenger Removed From Flight Du Weight Limitation

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:28 pm

thekorean wrote:
If they checked in on time this is unfair.

Unload the fattest ones. They should be encouraged to lose weight anyway.


All adult passengers weigh the same in the eyes of the airline. Tough one for those who checked in last, but life is unfair that way.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos