Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flybynight
Topic Author

Flying Out Of TFN On 3/27 :(

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:42 am

It will be very strange - and sad - to be flying out of TFN on 3/27 and heading back to the Seattle / Vancouver area. In fact our Iberia A320 will take us to Madrid about the same time the KLM and PanAM 747's crashed in 1977. I can remember my father telling me about the crash and watching it on TV at our house near Oslo, Norway. I was just shy of 10 years old. The picture of the burning left wing of the PanAm 747 became a permanent memory etched in time.

I wonder if the authorities - or TFN - will have a moment of silence. 538 people lost their lives that day, including many children.

I will definitely pause and think about that at TFN on the 27th...and hug my children a little bit closer as we ourselves fly out of there (and I won't mention it to my wife at all!!   )
Heia Norge!

DALCE

RE: Flying Out Of TFN On 3/27 :(

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:01 am

Sorry to be harsh, but it's been almost 40 years ago and the world has moved on. I don't see why authorities would do that.
538 people died which is terrible, but worse things happen in the world every day which don't even get any media-coverage at all.
It's not like D-DAY remembrance or something similar.
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

flyingalex

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Quoting DALCE (Reply 1):
Sorry to be harsh, but it's been almost 40 years ago and the world has moved on. I don't see why authorities would do that.

I agree, because it has been *almost* 40 years, they probably won't do anything. However, they might do something next year when it's *exactly* 40 years since the disaster. I wouldn't hold my breath for that happening though.
Public service announcement: "It's" = "it is". To indicate posession, write "its." Looks wrong, but it's correct grammar!

nikeherc

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:32 pm

I don't know that worse things happen every day. I am certain that anyone who lost loved ones on that day will always remember. Two 747s colliding was for many years considered the worst possible aviation accident, exceeded only by it occurring over the Super Bowl or a nuclear power plant. Civil aviation survived the event and learned and grew safer.

It is appropriate to remember and mourn those lost, even if we don't become mawkish or maudlin about it.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

richierich

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:52 pm

Quoting DALCE (Reply 1):

I don't agree - I think families of some of the victims will almost certainly hold some sort of remembrance service, if not at the TFN memorial then at other sites around the world. I would think that 3/27/17 will be a much larger memorial given that it was 40 years. Four decades sounds like a long time, and it is, but not if you lost a loved one. You don't forget.

Quoting flybynight (Thread starter):
It will be very strange - and sad - to be flying out of TFN on 3/27 and heading back to the Seattle / Vancouver area. In fact our Iberia A320 will take us to Madrid about the same time the KLM and PanAM 747's crashed in 1977.

Obviously you are aware of the date, the place and what happened. It wouldn't surprise me if you are only one of a handful of people on your flight who would have any idea of the anniversary, if not the crash itself. As you prepare to depart, I would recommend closing your eyes and saying a silent prayer for those that died that awful day, and know that while nothing can bring those souls back, the safety advances learned from the crash (CRM, communication, ground radar, etc.) mean that the likelihood of a similar crash is remote. Also lost in the crash were the almost heroic actions of the PA crew to try and get off the runway realizing an impending threat, as well as the numerous local taxi drivers and other civilians who helped ferry the injured to local hospitals. It was not just those in the KL and PA families that were forever affected that day.
None shall pass!!!!

B737900

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:17 pm

I vividly remember that day. I was a second year teacher in a remote logging camp in the Alaska bush. My father-in-law was a Pan American captain flying 747's based in SFO. We had no TV and no telephone except short wave. We were however able to receive an AM radio station out of Juneau. We heard of the accident on the radio. We immediately got on the short wave radio and called home. My father-in-law was on a trip to somewhere I have forgotten. He was safe. My family knew the Tenerife crew.

[Edited 2016-03-04 08:19:48]
Sounds like a Beaver on floats..........we're saved!!

CiC

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:36 pm

Next time you should visit the memorial
http://www.tenerife-memorial.org/default.php?lan=uk

On GoogleMaps just search
Mesa Mota Memorial, KLM/PanAm 27. March 1977

flybynight
Topic Author

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:38 pm

Quoting DALCE (Reply 1):
538 people died which is terrible, but worse things happen in the world every day which don't even get any media-coverage at all.
It's not like D-DAY remembrance or something similar.

I see your point, but I don't agree that worse things happen everyday. Certain tragic events become historically poignant.
I think the TNF accident in 1977 was one of those. Others that come to immediate mind would be the Titanic, Challenger Space Shuttle and MH370.
All of these were important tragic events that led to changes in their respective fields (or likely with the Malaysia Air 777).

So many lessons were learned on 3/27/77 at the cost of 500+ lives including 50+ children.
Heia Norge!

tjcab

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:51 pm

Quoting nikeherc (Reply 3):
I don't know that worse things happen every day.

just read the news - not just what they push on our TV screens. The world is a horrible place. I don't even know where to begin.

As mentioned, it may be an important day for those whom it concerns, but decades after the fact, for the general public, that's just like a slow media day.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos