kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 4/16: Dreams Of Flight

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:55 am

Good morning everyone and welcome to our new thread. It's been an interesting few weeks and the last thread has seen some very positive developments and perhaps one or two not so positive:

- Strong growth continues into 2016
- Swissport announces major jobs growth at Dublin Airport, with 200 new posts.
- New FR base at Bucharest
- Job losses at Bombardier NI
- Norwegian cans ORK-BOS for this years; hints at SNN-BOS in 2017, however all dependant on resolution of licence issue. Diplomatic lobbying continuing.
- DL upgrades DUB-ATL to A333 for Summer 2016
- Disturbing rumours about IAG plans for EI A350s.
- Big FR growth from BFS.

Let's hope March is a good month; hopefully we should get some clarity on the IAG/EI A359 issue.

Over to you, folks! Here's the link to the last thread, if anyone wants to refer back ...
Irish 3/16: The Imogen Edition (by kaitak Feb 7 2016 in Civil Aviation)

Eirules

RE: Irish 4/16: Dreams Of Flight

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:03 am

Thanks Kaitak, excellent introduction as always....

Quite a few delays into & out of DUB this morning, possibly due to the weather. Could make for a picturesque departure or arrival though

On another note, suggestions on another thread of QR announcing DUB in its next wave of expansion. Will this sound the death knell for EY. Surely there isn't enough capacity for 3 gulf carriers
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

dstc47

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:17 am

Anyone else having problems with the EI web site this morning?

For some reason it is continually failing to show any response except OOPs to CDG booking queries for me. Not crazy anyhow about the present redesign.

BestWestern

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:16 am

Quoting EIRules (Reply 1):
Will this sound the death knell for EY.

EY have a loyal corporate following from Dubli, and are back to twice daily this summer, so they should hold their own, but maybe on a F less 787.

Quoting kaitak (Thread starter):
IAG plans for EI A350s.

BA goes for frequency over size, so perhaps more frequency trumps bigger aircraft. During the dark days, many of us thought the 350 was too big and EI should have chosen the 788 - demonstrates how well a job Muller did with strategic realignment.

More frequency also permits more transit opportunity from longer European flights that can't get back to Dublin before the Long Haul wave to the West departs.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

OA260

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:29 am

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 2):
Anyone else having problems with the EI web site this morning?

Yes lots of bugs and issues this morning.

suggestions on another thread of QR announcing DUB in its next wave of expansion. Will this sound the death knell for EY. Surely there isn't enough capacity for 3 gulf carriers

The QR proposal has been on the cards for a while now and I would not be surprised to see it. Lets see who will win but as I said many threads back there is only room for 2 not 3 so expect one to exit eventually. With regards EY they are only bringing back 2nd daily for the Summer and then dropping it again so not really getting back to what they were! With EK looking at increasing capacity the war is truly on  

BestWestern

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:36 am

I did HKG - Europe four times last year on EY, three of which to Dublin in at least one direction, and J was 100% full on all Dublin segments and service was fantastic. I also had the pleasure of F ex Heathrow which was an amazing experience. In comparison, QR J is lacklustre in comparison.

If EI gets their act together with a loyalty programme and joins OneWorld, QR will be a very strong draw from Dublin though.

JAmie2k9

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:58 am

SK summer 2016 schedules show a big move away from CPH as expected but they have finally increased capacity to ARN. Worth noting FR may be exiting Oslo this coming winter so I'm sure if it happens either DY or SK will step up.

OSL - up to 6 weekly - no change
CPH - up to daily (6 in April) - drop of up to daily flight
ARN - 9 weekly (11 in July) - 5 weekly possibly 6 weekly during peak
GOT - Cancelled - 1/2 weekly

With EI exiting CPH, they may be able to add some capacity back.

Not easy to crack Nordic market and at the same time get rid of DY, AY and SK. EI and FR have been pulling capacity from HEL, ARN, RYG, NYO and GOT in recent years.

[Edited 2016-03-04 04:02:16]

321neo

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:08 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 6):
With EI exiting CPH

With this move will EI have any remaining destinations in Scandanavia?

OA260

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:10 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 5):
If EI gets their act together with a loyalty programme and joins OneWorld, QR will be a very strong draw from Dublin though.

If being the word. Some contracts still yet to be signed according to someone who is close to the situation and they will need to update their loyal customer base soon as many are wondering if to input their GC cards or to wait and put in their Aer Club numbers. Confusion over Tier requal and benefits. Usually there is a transition between clubs but many are worried in case they loose their status for a time in between. One would hope there is a proper full announcement next week to give people clarification and of course to get their numbers.

This is before any pre OW entry which might be delayed according to some.

OA260

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:18 pm

Quoting 321neo (Reply 7):

No so it is mostly DY SK AY now. SK have done really well in marketing their product in Ireland. I use them quite a bit myself. Some great fares and I took advantage of quite a few for this year already booked. I like their product too. CPH OSL great to transit through and being Star for me there is an added bonus. OSL is great as its a Boeing base as opposed to the Airbus base at CPH. Always nice to get a change   Some of the connections and fares are very tempting if you book well in advance.

[Edited 2016-03-04 04:19:41]

shamrock350

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:53 pm

Quoting 321neo (Reply 7):

Nope. Aer Lingus has always been very weak in Scandinavia and the Baltics, there's no service to Finland anymore either. I think everyone has lost count how many times CPH has been tried, they've never been able to make it work and at this stage probably never will.

Scandinavia has been tied up by FR, SK and DY, Finland is now covered by AY to HEL, and the Baltics are dominated by FR with VNO, KUN, RIX and TLL all served from DUB. The only place there could be room for EI to return is RIX or VNO but FR would put up quite a fight on what is traditionally a very price sensitive market.

Even in Poland Aer Lingus struggle these days, DUB-WAW is just four weekly when a few years ago it was served daily and may have seen the odd A330 at Christmas. There were also flights to POZ and KRK for a time and I think ORK-WAW was around too. Anyone know if they ever served WRO? I was there last week and saw a sign for Aer Lingus over a ticket desk!

I know the market has changed considerably in the past few years but I believe the Polish, Lithuanian and Latvian population in Ireland is still very big and it seems Ryanair has them all to itself. Maybe Wizz would be brave enough to give the Irish market a try again but after what happened at Cork and Ryanair's recent announcement at BFS, I'd be very surprised to ever see them return.

Shamrock350

OA260

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:11 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 10):
I think everyone has lost count how many times CPH has been tried

Indeed it seemed always to be off and on.

Anyone know if they ever served WRO?

I dont remember them doing this route.

I believe the Polish, Lithuanian and Latvian population in Ireland is still very big and it seems Ryanair has them all to itself

Alot of the Latvians left Ireland from the peak years back when there seemed to be a huge amount around also not as many Lithuanians either but the Polish have become very well established in many towns and cities throughout Ireland. Id love to see LOT back on the DUB-WAW route but doubt we will see it although they seem to be expanding elsewhere.

shamrock350

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:22 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 11):
Id love to see LOT back on the DUB-WAW route but doubt we will see it although they seem to be expanding elsewhere.

I actually had an excellent flight with LOT last week, WRO-WAW on the E170, a very short hop but it was very organised, on time and the on board service was great. Would be nice to see them in DUB, not sure what onward connections look like from WAW but they are definitely in growth mode at the moment.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 11):
Alot of the Latvians left Ireland from the peak years back when there seemed to be a huge amount around also not as many Lithuanians either but the Polish have become very well established in many towns and cities throughout Ireland.

I'm currently renting to a Polish family in Tipperary, they absolutely hate driving to DUB to fly home and they often ask why Wizz left Cork. I have a Lithuanian friend in Limerick as well, he was delighted to see SNN-KUN introduced last year, only for it to be dropped this summer!

OA260

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 12):
Would be nice to see them in DUB, not sure what onward connections look like from WAW but they are definitely in growth mode at the moment.

I used to use them DUB-WAW-ATH was a great service. They also had connections to SVO IEV MSQ LED LCA and of course all the Polish Domestics. Still it was very price sensitive and there were other issues and of course competition so they ended up pulling out. We got a mix of E Jet and B737 back then but the E Jet was superb. Always found the service and crew to be good. They had good timings out of DUB too which allowed for all of those connections.

RRTrent

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:42 pm

another note, suggestions on another thread of QR announcing DUB in its next wave of expansion. Will this sound the death knell for EY. Surely there isn't enough capacity for 3 gulf carriers

This will make life very difficult for EY, it will be interesting to see what happens if/when this gets announced.

I've heard that the plan is for EY to go double daily with the B789 once the aircraft are available

JAmie2k9

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:26 pm

I think the real issue for EI is routes to HEL/VNO/KRK and to Eastern Europe is not that they are loss making, now some might be but there is element of more can be made elsewhere which is a sound business case. It comes back around to the number of short haul aircraft which has been more less the same for years.

Even in Poland Aer Lingus struggle these days, DUB-WAW is just four weekly when a few years ago it was served daily and may have seen the odd A330 at Christmas

That was when FR did not serve Warsaw so them coming in with a daily service (dropped slightly since) and at the height of the crash it was never going to last. They have actually cut WAW to 3 weekly peak summer this year and I believe it comes back to the above point where they do not have enough aircraft and it's a case WAW not making enough.

OA260

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:39 pm

Quoting RRTrent (Reply 14):
This will make life very difficult for EY, it will be interesting to see what happens if/when this gets announced.

Totally agree.    In some ways it would be a shame to see them loose out to QR and EK seeing as it was EY that came to DUB and invested heavily in the route and made a huge success of it and of course they have the best lounge at DUB but this is business after all and its cut throat at DUB currently.

Keep hearing the QR BFS rumor too....

Eagleboy

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 8):
If being the word........Confusion over Tier requal and benefits. ......One would hope there is a proper full announcement next week to give people clarification and of course to get their numbers.

GC is ending on March 31st...so only 27 days left. You would expect a little more clarity for the planned commencement of AerClub on 1st April.

OA260

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:50 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 17):
AerClub on 1st April.

Maybe that is a bad date   Seriously though it is not fair to leave people hanging who have advance bookings on EI and not have a decent amount of notice. 30 days notice is pretty standard practice in many things these days.

EI320

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:38 pm

I'm struggling to envisage a scenario in which EY would exit DUB completely. The EY brand is now quite an established one in Ireland and the growth prospects for the market they serve (Ireland-Asia) remain strong.

ClassicLover

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:45 pm

- Disturbing rumours about IAG plans for EI A350s.

I'd hardly call it disturbing  

If it's a bunch more A330s and 757s, I don't mind. The A350 will be around a long time, as will the 787 and 777. If the A350s are ditched, something else will come along.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 8):
If being the word. Some contracts still yet to be signed according to someone who is close to the situation and they will need to update their loyal customer base soon as many are wondering if to input their GC cards or to wait and put in their Aer Club numbers. Confusion over Tier requal and benefits. Usually there is a transition between clubs but many are worried in case they loose their status for a time in between. One would hope there is a proper full announcement next week to give people clarification and of course to get their numbers.

One would assume, logically, that there'd be no loss of status and no missing days in between.

However, this is EI  
Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 17):
GC is ending on March 31st...so only 27 days left. You would expect a little more clarity for the planned commencement of AerClub on 1st April.

Agreed, they're not rushing are they? People do book more than 3 weeks ahead so they'd better get their act together!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

styles9002

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:18 pm

Norwegian cans ORK-BOS for this years; hints at SNN-BOS in 2017, however all dependant on resolution of licence issue. Diplomatic lobbying continuing.
http://clareherald.com/2016/03/shann...rms-deal-with-norwegian-air-75391/

a spokesman from SNN confirms a deal is done.

Disturbing rumours about IAG plans for EI A350s.

disturbing? to whom?
It is what it is.

OA260

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:21 pm

Quoting Reply 21):
disturbing? to whom?

I guess its disturbing and dissapointing to those that followed the program and then saw EI indeed order it. Quite a few of us were indeed looking forward to it but if the rumor is indeed true it will be certainly a shame to see them not delivered to EI but I am sure we will all get over it.  

Cipango

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:10 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 22):
I guess its disturbing and dissapointing to those that followed the program and then saw EI indeed order it. Quite a few of us were indeed looking forward to it but if the rumor is indeed true it will be certainly a shame to see them not delivered to EI but I am sure we will all get over it.  

It is a shame but I would much rather growth in any form over A350's. As said above, growth with additional A330's or 757's would be great to see.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

OA260

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:09 am

Some equipt. changes for June on DUB-CDG as one would expect.

12/6 AF 1617 and 1817 Will be operated by AF metal A319

Between 20/6-22/6 AF1617 on Mon/Tues/Wed will be operated by A320

Lots more random dates too. Will make a change to see AF metal in DUB. Sadly as of yet no repeat of the B777.

BestWestern

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:12 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
OSL great to transit through

Totally agree. I love the use of wood in the terminal too.

JAmie2k9

Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:42 pm

ET expand transit stop from July

"Ethiopian Airlines starting July 2016 will increase service to Canada, as the airline opened reservation for 4th weekly Addis Ababa – Toronto route, in both direction. Planned service increase will commence from the week of 01JUL16, with Boeing 787-8 operating via Dublin on outbound flight.

ET502 ADD2240 – 0450+1DUB0635+1 – 0830+1YYZ 788 x247
ET503 YYZ1120 – 0725+1ADD 788 x135"

www.airlineroute.net/2016/03/04/et-yyz-jul16/

Refueling taking longer than ADD-DUB-LAX stop (1h15).

shamrock104

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:29 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 24):
Will make a change to see AF metal in DUB.

Absolutely. Makes me wonder when AF stopped operating their own metal to DUB? I have fond memories of flying their 727s and 737-200s DUB/CDG/DUB.

tonystan

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Quoting shamrock104 (Reply 27):

They had a handful of A319s operating into Dublin in recent years. Used to see them parked at the A Gates.

I also fondly remember watching the Air Inter Caravelles thunder over my home in Malahide as a kid.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:47 pm

Quoting Reply 21):
Quoting kaitak (Thread starter):Disturbing rumours about IAG plans for EI A350s.
disturbing? to whom?

Well, me really, I guess - and a few others. I had been looking forward to them, but as others have said, it may only be a postponement.

Incidentally, there was an interesting article in the Sunday Business Post today about Vueling and its operations on DUB-BCN. At the end of its article, it goes on to mention that IAG positively encourages competition between the various carriers in its group and - even more interesting - that they have to effectively bid and provide business plans for new aircraft. If, as the rumours suggest, the EI A359s are going to IB, I wonder if this suggests that IB's proposals for them were more aggressive/proactive/ambitious than EI's proposals for their use. Of course, another explanation could be that there is a better market out of MAD than DUB?

------------------------------------------------

Just arrived in LGW (well, about 2h ago) on the 238 from DUB. Very good flight with EI - great crew, perfectly punctuality (and I got my chicken and stuffing sandwich!) ... LGW - oh, how hard they work in making it a more difficult place to go through every time. Leaving aside a 50 minute wait for bag drop at the BA check in (not LGW's fault, admittedly), there's a new security area at the very far end of the terminal and what an experience that is! There was a big backlog of trays going through the scanner and an even worse one at the far end; it took about 20-25 mins to get from one end of security to the exit into the lounge. On the "plus" side, you now go by bus to the arrivals area - shorter walk and no need to hand over your BP, as before.

OA260

Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:25 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 29):
Vueling and its operations on DUB-BCN.

I am noticing recently they are cheaper than FR even in peak season. Plus they include a bag so a big saving at the end if you are checking in bags.

IB's proposals for them were more aggressive/proactive/ambitious than EI's proposals for their use. Of course, another explanation could be that there is a better market out of MAD than DUB?

It might be. IB has gone through nothing but an impressive overhaul with expansion on a large scale. Before they were in decline and major debt with little prospects and bad customer reviews. These days they have turned it around and reaching their potential. The decline let other airlines get way ahead of them but they are quickly catching up and in turn MAD is seeing the major benefits after declines. There will most likely be a few markets where EI will never be able to match IB on just due to demography and catchment areas. Still that does not deflect from EI's niche and potential at DUB for future. So lets still hope the 359s do not evade the Shamrock totally.

On the "plus" side, you now go by bus to the arrivals area - shorter walk and no need to hand over your BP, as before.

I was through LGW last week and it was a pleasant experience with not much of a wait. Staff were pleasant etc.. I guess like every airport it depends on the day and the time. DUB is the same.

321neo

Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Disturbing rumours about IAG plans for EI A350s

What is the exact nature of the rumour that is circling? Is it that the 9 A350s will be substituted instead with new A333/A339 aircraft, or that the A350s on order are going to IB...leaving EI with no direct replacements for this order?

RRTrent

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:09 am

Quoting 321neo (Reply 31):
What is the exact nature of the rumour that is circling? Is it that the 9 A350s will be substituted instead with new A333/A339 aircraft, or that the A350s on order are going to IB...leaving EI with no direct replacements for this order?

Feel free to correct me but my understanding is that's its an "order swap" with IB. IB will be getting EI's 350's while EI will be instead getting A330's which IB (or IAG) have on order.

QR tweeted earlier that their next route announcement will be at the Berlin Travel Trade Show. Might we finally see DUB added?

321neo

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:59 am

Quoting RRTrent (Reply 32):
Feel free to correct me but my understanding is that's its an "order swap" with IB. IB will be getting EI's 350's while EI will be instead getting A330's which IB (or IAG) have on order.

Considering the route profiles of EI's transatlantic routes vs those flown by IB (ie. South America, Asia beginning this year), it makes perfect sense that A359 aircraft would better suited to IB. As long as EI sees continued growth, I'd see no loss here.

Quoting RRTrent (Reply 32):
QR tweeted earlier that their next route announcement will be at the Berlin Travel Trade Show. Might we finally see DUB added?

Hopefully! IMHO they are long overdue and it will bring about even more competition on fares to Asia!

RRTrent

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:43 am

Quoting 321neo (Reply 33):
IMHO they are long overdue

Agreed, their ownership % of IAG, and membership of OW just compound this. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

OA260

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:14 am

Quoting 321neo (Reply 33):
it will bring about even more competition on fares to Asia!

Not that much to be honest. The fares are already quite competitive as you have plenty of options with numerous carriers to Asia with LX LH BA EY EK AF KL TK. Already quite cut throat especially between EK/EY so QR will be just another option and dilute the ever decreasing profits which I and many others believe will mean one exits the Irish market eventually. I doubt we will see the air fare wars which some people seem to think. The market out of DUB cant sustain 3 ME carriers.

------

Irish airlines 'face 300 compensation claims'

A Dublin-based firm, AirHelp, which helps passengers process claims against airlines, has served Ryanair and Aer Lingus with almost 300 letters of legal action as it presses them to cough up compensation the company claims the carriers owe passengers for delayed, cancelled or overbooked flights.

AirHelp said that its solicitors have sent 293 letters in recent weeks, 259 of them to Ryanair, 30 to Aer Lingus and four to CityJet.

AirHelp said it's pursuing claims under a specific EU regulation - EU261 - that it says entitles passengers to up to €600 in compensation if their flight is delayed, cancelled, or overbooked, and if the delay is not caused by extraordinary circumstances.

The firm says that of the letters it has recently sent, 84 of the cases have moved to proceedings and 30 are settled.

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...-compensation-claims-34516573.html

eicvd

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:15 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 30):

Regarding VY, they're really getting themselves out there, hearing & seeing plenty of ads for them on the radio & bus shelters.
COYBIB

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:36 pm

I've been thinking about the whole IAG/A350 situation and I can perfectly understand the motivation of IAG in getting companies in their group to compete against each other and bid for aircraft in the "umbrella" order book. However, I few questions arise and I thought I'd just throw them out there...

- IAG is on record as having stated that it wants to build hub at DUB. How does this manifest itself? What exactly is it going to do to ensure this happens?

- If there is a competition for new acft between BA, IB and EI for new long haul aircraft, in what circumstances could EI possibly win this, given that LHR and MAD are bigger hubs.

- If EI's business plans are found lacking, then why is senior management still in place? If they produce growth plans which result in aircraft intended for them being reassigned to other operators, either (a) the other markets are much bigger and EI/DUB will always be the cinderella, or (b) EI's growth plans are not sufficiently ambitious. Which is it, and what will be done to address it?

- Does EI have the right/power to source acft not ordered directly by IAG, e.g. through a lessor, if it does not get the aircraft it needs from IAG?

lesfalls

Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:41 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 26):

Is the DUB-YYZ sector bookable?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

JAmie2k9

Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:49 pm

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 38):

No, they only have rights for LAX

OA260

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:23 pm

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 38):
Is the DUB-YYZ sector bookable?

They may get it in future along with some other routes. ET are increasing their presence in the Irish market with some more sales staff and an aggressive marketing campaign. They will be soon announcing a new companion fare including in Business Class where one person pays the fare then the second pays 50%. Also they have launched a sale fare to LAX for EUR417 all in. That includes 2 x 23KG bags.

To increase brand awareness they will be participating in this years St Patrick's day parade in Dublin. So they really are busy trying to promote themselves.

OA260

Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:56 pm

€15 Million Investment In T1 Departures Floor

Dublin Airport has invested €15 million in modernising the Departures Floor and Security Screening area in Terminal 1.

A significant part of this investment relates to the delivery of 15 new automatic tray return system (ATRS) machines in the passenger security screening area.

“Almost 400 million passengers have used Terminal 1 since it first opened for airport operations 44 years ago,” said Dublin Airport Managing Director, Vincent Harrison.

“The building has endured much wear and tear over that time and we are renovating it on a phased basis starting with Departures and the Security Screening area,” he said.

The new ATRS machines are six metres longer than the previous machines. This additional length includes a parallel loading area at the start of the lane giving extra preparation space so that up to four people can load trays comfortably at the same time.

Earlier trials of the new system have shown faster passenger processing times while complementing security compliance procedures.

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-...stment_In_T1_Departures_Floor.aspx

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:08 am

Aer Lingus has now ended A319 operations. EI-EPU was ferried back from LGW to DUB on Sunday and then ferried to OSR (Ostrava ) for re painting.

jrfspa320

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:03 am

It would be a bit of a shame of this initial batch of A350s go to IB, but to be fair the longer stage lengths if IB would bring much bigger fuel savings from the A350 than the 6-7 hr flights that (typically) EI use the A330 on. As long as there is growth which there is, I don't see it as too much of an issue. The A350s will replace the A330s eventually, but maybe not this initial batch. What would be interesting is if EI really want bigger aircraft is if a couple of 346s transferred to EI, these birds arnt that old, and fuel is fairly cheap at the moment

BrianDromey

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:18 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 37):
Does EI have the right/power to source acft not ordered directly by IAG, e.g. through a lessor, if it does not get the aircraft it needs from IAG?

I think you are reading too much into this Kaitak. As I've said before I've never considered the A350 a great aircraft for EI. To my mind it's too heavy, has too much range and limits flexibility, for AY the 359 seats 297, their A333s seat 271, so only 30 or so seats more - capacity isn't hugely different.The bread and butter of EI's transatlantic route network is NYC, BOS and ORD, the kind of distance where the A333 is at its peak effeciency - cheaper on a CSAM basis than the 787, even by Boeing numbers.

OA260

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:27 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 42):
Aer Lingus has now ended A319 operations

A shame to see that type go out of the fleet. I liked it and had many good flights on it. Whatever people thought about the old IB interiors it was a nice A/C to have in the EI fleet.

---

Former Pan Am workers to reunite in Foynes

MORE than 350 former workers and associates of Pan American World Airways (Pan Am) will reunite in Limerick between April 12 and 15 to share their memories and experiences of what was once the principal and largest international air carrier in the United States.

Organised by Foynes Flying Boat and Maritime Museum and supported by Fáilte Ireland and the Shannon Region Conference and Sports Bureau, the event represents the final ever Pan Am World Reunion and is only the second to be hosted in Europe.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2016/03/0...n-am-workers-to-reunite-in-foynes/

---

What’s happening to the Derry to Dublin flights?

An Isle of Man based airline last night refused to comment on whether flights from Derry to Dublin are to start operating in April.

‘Citywing’ was due to start operating twice daily flights from Derry to Dublin. There were also plans to provide flights to the Isle of Man twice a week.

However, yesterday when the ‘Journal’ checked the airline’s website there was no facility to book flights from Derry to Dublin and no mention of the planned route!

And when we contacted the company’s reservation telephone line, to ask how to book a flight from Derry to Dublin, we were the told that the airline had enquired about the flight however the route had never been confirmed. One of our readers told us they had contacted ‘Citywing’ and asked about Derry to Dublin flight.

“I was told they are not operating this route and have no plans to operate this route,” he said.

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/wha...-derry-to-dublin-flights-1-7222631

ClassicLover

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:22 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 45):
Organised by Foynes Flying Boat and Maritime Museum and supported by Fáilte Ireland and the Shannon Region Conference and Sports Bureau, the event represents the final ever Pan Am World Reunion and is only the second to be hosted in Europe.

It would be fascinating to hear some of the stories. I bought some Pan Am books from a great little web site (below) once and learned some interesting stories about the airline.

http://www.flyingclippers.com/

I still, after 11 years in Ireland, haven't been to the Foynes Flying Boat Museum. I really need to get a move on and go down there, cause it's something I'd enjoy I think.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Eagleboy

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:40 pm

Quoting jrfspa320 (Reply 43):
What would be interesting is if EI really want bigger aircraft is if a couple of 346s transferred to EI, these birds arnt that old, and fuel is fairly cheap at the moment

I cant see this happening. The Ib A340's were dur to retire, the unexpected drop in fuel has slowed this need. However as soon as price goes back up (2 years?) then the A340's will be lame ducks again.
In addition adding a 4 engined aircraft to a 2 engines operation adds unnecessary complexity.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 44):
The bread and butter of EI's transatlantic route network is NYC, BOS and ORD, the kind of distance where the A333 is at its peak effeciency

I 100%. I think EI had to make an either/or decision re T/A fleet renewal. For the enthusiasts they made the popular decidion (A350's) Personally I hope that with the larger buying power/fleet numbers of IAG EI will be able to operate a mixed A330neo/A350 T/A. Dual type rating would allow this. Thus EI use the more efficient A333 on 6-7 hours sectors with the A350 on their West Coast operation. Maybe a 4/10 mix?

OA260

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 47):
then the A340's will be lame ducks again.

If they need something short term  http://www.hradf.com/en/portfolio/airbus-a340-300-en

321neo

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:13 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 45):
A shame to see that type go out of the fleet. I liked it and had many good flights on it. Whatever people thought about the old IB interiors it was a nice A/C to have in the EI fleet

Didn't experience the EI A319 myself but was there any difference between it and a regular A320? AFAIK the only difference between an EI A319 and A320 was that the A319 had 30 less seats and worse legroom towards the rear?

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 47):
Thus EI use the more efficient A333 on 6-7 hours sectors with the A350 on their West Coast operation. Maybe a 4/10 mix?

Could A339s serve the West Cost either? IMHO if EI is to further develop DubHub they'd be best aiming for 2+ daily to each of its North American destinations, thus focusing on building frequency (A333/339) instead of capacity (A359). Although the A359 has only c. 10% more capacity, one could also assume that A330/339s can be acquired at lower prices than A359s!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos