Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pasu129
Topic Author

Business Class Overhead Bins

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:41 am

With most new seats on A330s, A350s, A380s, B787s, B767s and even B777s and mostly 1-2-1 seating, why do we need center bins still on these aircrafts? Why can't there be just side overhead bins and free up overhead space on center bins? It would not only save weight but also create airy feeling to cabin as well! Thoughts?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © JCAM
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andre Giam

View Large View Medium

Photo © Glenn White
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy Egloff

View Large View Medium

Photo © JCAM
View Large View Medium

Photo © Yang Wei

Viva Las Vegas

MAH4546

RE: Business Class Overhead Bins

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:51 am

Because those bins still fill up, so we still need them.
a.

pasu129
Topic Author

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:54 am

Take this picture as an example.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy Egloff

The side bins are clearly big enough for two passengers' luggage, why not eliminate the middle overhead bins? Since they regulate only one carry-on bag anyways!
Viva Las Vegas

MAH4546

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:06 am

Quoting pasu129 (Reply 2):

Take this picture as an example.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy Egloff

The side bins are clearly big enough for two passengers' luggage, why not eliminate the middle overhead bins? Since they regulate only one carry-on bag anyways!

Because they still fill up. I've been on plenty of business class flights with 1-2-1. These overheads don't go out empty. One reason is that a lot of people put both bags up in the overheads, which is sometimes is pretty much necessary based on how the seat reclines, because in bed mode you might have no way to access your bag.
a.

roseflyer

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:16 am

Even when not 100% full, most are used. Some airlines also store extra blankets and pillows there.

And a few times I have seen some last minute economy bags stored in business to save a delay associated with last minute gate check bags.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

kbmiflyer

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:19 am

I recently flew a new Royal Jordanian 787 in business. They don't have overhead bins in the middle, and they do 2-2-2 seating. The side bins did end up pretty full, but they weren't overflowing. The cabin definitely had a very airy feel to it.

Rafabozzolla

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:52 am

Cause J class pax tend to bring more stuff on board? And having plenty of room on the overhead bins and not fighting for space for your carry-on is part of the premium experience. Not to mention the huge duvets and big pillows.

PEK777

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:57 am

My last two TPAC round trips in business class could easily have done without the center bins. With about 1.5 bins per passenger on the window sides, over half those bins go unused. Granted, business class is only about 70% full this time of year (MU and HU do not fill up the cabin with self-entitled people in sweatpants who made silver status flying 20 ATL-CLT segments in year while carrying three oversized carryon bags and taking pictures of the seat and food ). Until we enforce the rules and rid the front cabin of these vermin, I am afraid the center bins are here to stay on many Western carries.

hongkongflyer

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:09 am

People wants their bags stored directly about themself and
airlines don't want their J passangers get angry because they can't store their lbags above themself, that's it

N1120A

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:20 am

Quoting pasu129 (Thread starter):

With most new seats on A330s, A350s, A380s, B787s, B767s and even B777s and mostly 1-2-1 seating, why do we need center bins still on these aircrafts? Why can't there be just side overhead bins and free up overhead space on center bins? It would not only save weight but also create airy feeling to cabin as well! Thoughts?

It is because those spaces do fill up. Things like coats, duty free and the like take up a lot of space and are fairly awkward.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

UKtoOzFlyer

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:21 am

Upstairs on the A380 in J, the side bins alone would certainly not be big enough for all J pax carry on. They are too small for the biggest of carry ons.

QF also will use them to stow seat covers and the large doonas / duvets / quilts that are provided.

Taking away the centre bins would render the cabin Y-esque in a scramble for space.

[Edited 2016-03-07 19:23:27]

PEK777

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:24 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):
It is because those spaces do fill up. Things like coats, duty free and the like take up a lot of space and are fairly awkward.

There is a hook for your coat, or the closet near the galley. Regular business flyers to not fall for the duty free scam. I can get a bottle of Jack Daniels for the same price at the liquor store - trust me I am a full blown alcoholic. It is the Y class bottom feeders with three carry-ons plus the 'duty free' liquor that not only wasted space on board the aircraft but also hold up customs for people so they can get their cigarettes counted.

N1120A

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:56 am

Quoting PEK777 (Reply 11):
Regular business flyers to not fall for the duty free scam. I can get a bottle of Jack Daniels for the same price at the liquor store - trust me I am a full blown alcoholic.

There are some duty free products that are only available in duty free.

Viscount724

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:24 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 1):
Because those bins still fill up, so we still need them.
AC doesn't have the center bins in the main forward J class cabin on their A330-300s with 27 seats (there are center bins in the small rear J cabin with 10 seats behind the first door, which I believe are to be replaced wtih about 3 rows of premium economy at some point).

I was on one of the A330s seated in the forward cabin last December which was almost full (3 or 4 empty seats). There was no room in any of the side bins when I boarded, which on A330 are also quite small and won't take a standard carry-on bag except lengthwise. They found room for my bag in the rear J cabin.

The lack of center bins does make the cabin seem more spacious.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Matthew Lee - Contrails Aviation Photography

[Edited 2016-03-07 20:49:23]

BestWestern

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:38 am

The reduction in overall seats from 2-2-2 to 1-2-1 is minimal, that's hardly a reason to reduce overhead bin space.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

ScottB

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:01 am

Quoting PEK777 (Reply 7):
Granted, business class is only about 70% full this time of year (MU and HU do not fill up the cabin with self-entitled people in sweatpants who made silver status flying 20 ATL-CLT segments in year while carrying three oversized carryon bags and taking pictures of the seat and food ). Until we enforce the rules and rid the front cabin of these vermin, I am afraid the center bins are here to stay on many Western carries.

Not to take away from an elitist, self-righteous rant, but the US3 don't put their "silver status" flyers in business class unless those passengers have either paid for a ticket in that cabin or used miles for an award ticket. There might be an extremely rare occasion where a passenger would receive an operational upgrade due to economy being overbooked, but typically the highest-status passengers on the flight would get the upgrade then.

DDR

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:27 am

So tell us how you REALLY feel about Americans  

adamblang

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:28 am

I kind of like having an entire overhead bin to myself. And I'd just as soon not have someone else rummaging in a bin over me to get at their stuff because they couldn't stow their effects above their own seat.

It probably helps the resale value of the aircraft to have the center bins as well – less work to adapt to another carrier's spec if the only hardware to change is seats. (Maybe? Probably have to rip the whole cabin apart to change seats.)

DocLightning

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:45 am

Another advantage of leaving them in is that the cabin can be more easily reconfigured without having to worry about bins.

I find that on the A330 the overhead bin is very obvious and intrusive and I don't like it. The A350 is somewhat better, having been contoured in and having cute LED light effects, but the 787 and especially the 777/744ER/764 manages to blend in the overhead bins as if they weren't there. The 777 cabin was, IMHO, one of Boeing's finest works of interior design, and of all the OEMs, I think Boeing generally does the best cabins.

But even on most widebody aircraft, the space above the seats in the middle of the cabin is quite generous. Bins aren't very heavy (being mostly empty space) and passengers use them.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Viscount724

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:04 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 18):
I think Boeing generally does the best cabins.

I prefer the A320 family cabin because it's about 6 inches wider than the 737 and permits 1-inch wider seats. And I think most people prefer the 8-abreast A330/340 cabin and the wider seats to the increasingly common 10-abreast 777 cabin. Those factors more than outweigh the overhead bin design.

DocLightning

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:23 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 19):

I prefer the A320 family cabin because it's about 6 inches wider than the 737 and permits 1-inch wider seats. And I think most people prefer the 8-abreast A330/340 cabin and the wider seats to the increasingly common 10-abreast 777 cabin. Those factors more than outweigh the overhead bin design.

I admit that Boeing fuselages are at awkward widths that lead to awful seat widths, especially in the widebody market (I've never felt cramped on a 707/737/757), but Boeing cabins are superior. And for the J traveler, the steerage section is irrelevant.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

MCOGVADCA

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:34 am

MU and HU do not fill up the cabin with self-entitled people in sweatpants who made silver status flying 20 ATL-CLT segments in year while carrying three oversized carryon bags and taking pictures of the seat and food ). Until we enforce the rules and rid the front cabin of these vermin, I am afraid the center bins are here to stay on many Western carries.

The irony is, of course, that Chinese airlines regularly let people sneak into business class without paying for it on Transpacific flights. I fly CAN-LAX/JFK regularly in J, and every time I go to bed, J is half empty. When I wake up, it's magically full! Flight attendants have no power in China, and even when they do try to move people back to economy, the passengers rarely listen. I'd rather have ATL-CLT warrior "vermin" up front than peasants who have never flown before chewing seaweed snacks and having their kids shit in the aisles.
18 months: pvg sea lax mco lgw stn rak cmn saw tlv ltn gva mrs lys lhr mia gig jfk sof pmi kut ktw nce fni dfw bsl oak

nethkt

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:05 am

It depends on nature of passengers.
Any flights in-out of the USA or carrying lots of American travellers, yep, huge huge huge carry-on everywhere, F C Y+ Y- class. I wonder why they like to carry their junk around anywhere they go. It's like their culture.

On all my widebodies' BIZ class experiences, I've always find empty overhead bins on a full C cabin, QR 380 787 359 77W, TG 747 777s 787 333 and ex 340s, SQ 77W 380, EK 380 777s, MH 772 330 and even 738, NH 787 777s, OZ 333 772ER, NZ 772ER 767.
But on UA and AA, always full overhead bins anywhere anytime any aircrafts, huge huge oversized carry-ons, almost one luggage per one overhead bin. And the F/As will push/lock/close the overhead bin real hard before take off, I feel it rude and offended somehow.
Come on! Asian carriers fly same aircraft but the F/As would never ever made that kind of negative attitude at overhead bin towards pax.
Let's just blame it on yields.

johnclipper

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:40 am

Quoting MCOGVADCA (Reply 21):
I'd rather have ATL-CLT warrior "vermin" up front than peasants who have never flown before chewing seaweed snacks and having their kids shit in the aisles.

Sadly, "AMEN" to that!
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

hz747300

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:04 am

I choose not to fly mainland carriers, because of this, and related reasons. It's CX, OZ, JL, AC, or UA for us when go long haul to the US.

Likely too, anyone who has flown ATL-CLT 20 times is a pretty savvy, no checkin traveler. For sweats, it's probably students who maybe flew 1x year r/t to Daytona, or oldies on their 'trip-of-a-lifetime' to the Great Wall.

For 'loading up on Duty Free', fly any plane/airlines with lots of Koreans. They are the kings of duty free and it's just fine with me.

Does anyone use the J pajamas? And what do you do with the clothes while you're sleeping?
Keep on truckin'...

N14AZ

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:22 am

The irony is, of course, that Chinese airlines regularly let people sneak into business class without paying for it on Transpacific flights. I fly CAN-LAX/JFK regularly in J, and every time I go to bed, J is half empty. When I wake up, it's magically full!

Waow, I never heard of something like this. OK, maybe because business class on my flights (typically FRA => PEK or FRA => PVG) are usually full by PAYING passengers.

scbriml

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:22 am

Quoting Rafabozzolla (Reply 6):
Cause J class pax tend to bring more stuff on board?

That's often been my experience.

Certainly on BA, one is not allowed anything on the floor area around the first or business seats during take-off and landing, so everything has to go in the bins. In economy, some of that stuff would be under the seat in front.

Then again, given BA cram 8-across in business, those centre bins are absolutely required.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

DXTraveler

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:34 pm

Take those away and the crew will have no place to store their bags or the airline's inflight items.

AA777223

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:47 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 15):

Granted, business class is only about 70% full this time of year (MU and HU do not fill up the cabin with self-entitled people in sweatpants who made silver status flying 20 ATL-CLT segments in year while carrying three oversized carryon bags and taking pictures of the seat and food ). Until we enforce the rules and rid the front cabin of these vermin, I am afraid the center bins are here to stay on many Western carries.

Not to take away from an elitist, self-righteous rant, but the US3 don't put their "silver status" flyers in business class unless those passengers have either paid for a ticket in that cabin or used miles for an award ticket. There might be an extremely rare occasion where a passenger would receive an operational upgrade due to economy being overbooked, but typically the highest-status passengers on the flight would get the upgrade then.
The irony is, of course, that Chinese airlines regularly let people sneak into business class without paying for it on Transpacific flights. I fly CAN-LAX/JFK regularly in J, and every time I go to bed, J is half empty. When I wake up, it's magically full! Flight attendants have no power in China, and even when they do try to move people back to economy, the passengers rarely listen. I'd rather have ATL-CLT warrior "vermin" up front than peasants who have never flown before chewing seaweed snacks and having their kids shit in the aisles.

I fly about 100K miles a year - paid, about 50/50 Y+/J (which is nothing compared to many here). I have to say that I really don't care what other people wear on the plane. If they want to be comfortable, that's really their choice. I choose not to wear sweats, but when your on a 12-15 hour flight, it doesn't really bother me if others do. What's the point in having a lie-flat, bed of a seat if you are uncomfortable in it.

As to what is said in the quote above, the people there usualy have either paid for it, used a good chunk of miles or paid, used a good chunk of miles and paid again! You're rant against American travelers, to the favor of Chinese, likely won't get far here. Many of us, myself included, have traveled to China, the US and many other places. The Chinese are not exactly known as the most courteous and couth passengers. You might wanna check your 'tude at the door.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

rta

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:52 pm

The extra storage doesn't hurt. Might be helpful for storing extra things in case bins in other cabins get too filled. Occasionally I've had my bag stored in a random closet because everything else was filled.

VgnAtl747

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:14 pm

It may not be as relevant, but I've also been on many aircraft where the J window bins aren't as deep as the center bins. A recent trip on a UA 763 as an example (granted that's still 2-2-2), most people's rollaboards (regulation size ones included) didn't fit in the bins along the windows and had to go in the center ones.

I think others have also covered that a lot of J seats have no floor storage so everything has to go in the bins.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

tlecam

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:22 pm

Quoting PEK777 (Reply 11):
There is a hook for your coat, or the closet near the galley. Regular business flyers to not fall for the duty free scam. I can get a bottle of Jack Daniels for the same price at the liquor store - trust me I am a full blown alcoholic. It is the Y class bottom feeders with three carry-ons plus the 'duty free' liquor that not only wasted space on board the aircraft but also hold up customs for people so they can get their cigarettes counted.

Any point you could possibly have to make gets drowned out by your desperate, insecure attempts to portray how elite you are.

Quoting pasu129 (Thread starter):
It would not only save weight but also create airy feeling to cabin as well! Thoughts?

I'm trying to think about the bins and whether removing them would make it feel more airy; my answer is that I don't think so because it already seems pretty airy on a widebody. Those bins kind of close up into the ceiling on a lot of planes:

DL 763/764: The center bins were definitely used, but none of the bins were full.
DL 333: Same
Virgin 787: This one is interesting - VA has the center seating thing where everyone faces the right side of the plane. I don't recall anyone using the center bins on the left side, but I could be wrong. I did not, and I was sitting on the left window.
Alitalia 333 - They were used and full; this was mostly a flight of vacation travelers.
AF 772 (new configuration) - They were used sparingly, but this was a long haul flighta nd there wasn't a lot of carry on.

My conclusion is that for flexibility purposes, it probably makes sense to keep them. I'm not sure that the savings in weight or the airiness of the cabin is really worth removing them.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

XAM2175

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:17 pm

Heck, if you're taking them away from J, why not go the whole distance?  
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui

SIA747Megatop

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:18 am

SQ doesn't have centre overhead bins on 77Ws and A380s in J, F or Suites.
I found the edit signature button

global2

Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:11 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 18):
I find that on the A330 the overhead bin is very obvious and intrusive and I don't like it

And for window seats (my preference) the side walls of A330's are slanted at a much steeper angle than even narrow-bodies. I feel like the window pillar is in front of my face.

Viscount724

Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:24 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 20):
And for the J traveler, the steerage section is irrelevant.

Except a high percentage of J passengers are also Y passengers, depending whether their employer is paying the bill when they're flying on business or whether they're paying out of their own pocket on vacation.

eta unknown

Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:54 am

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 24):
Does anyone use the J pajamas? And what do you do with the clothes while you're sleeping?

I put my clothes in the overhead bin!

747m8te

Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:10 am

Well maybe because passengers sitting in their seats wouldn't notice it thanks to modern business class seat design?

Spaciousness in appearance of the cabin isn't something airlines are going for in their business class cabins these days...just look at the hard products, most of the ones people rave about are actually rather encapsulated/enclosed for privacy (EY/SQ/EK/CX), rather than being open and exposed as was common in business class seat design over a decade ago. With partitions around and between passengers going above head height, they wouldn't be able to appreciate the spaciousness resulting from the removal of the overhead bins.

As others have stated, business class pax often take more carryon (and the airline allows them to have a larger allowance) than economy....those extra bags need space!

Also, the design of many business class seats of today often don't have space to put large carry on in the seats (and there is no room or space to slide it under the seat in front either. So for take off and landing, there must be space to store it.
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W

N14AZ

Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:49 am

@ Pasu129: I often had the same idea. I usually travel with just a business suit case because I usually stay 12 weeks abroad and trying to put everything into carry-on-bags wouldn't work in my case. This leads to the situation where there is just one bag in the overhead bin above me and I often thought "what a waste of space".

But - as many others have already pointed out - on some flights you really need the space and it wouldn't work without the overhead bins in the middle.... I would hate to not have my bag directly above me.

EYKD

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:46 pm

Quoting SIA747Megatop (Reply 33):
SQ doesn't have centre overhead bins on 77Ws

It's worth to be illustrated by at least one photo:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Nick de Jonge - Skeyesphoto

It was a pretty huge project at Boeing 10 years ago to remove the center bins from first and business classes.

Viscount724

Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:29 am

In the early years of DC-10 and L-1011 operations, most aircraft operated with no center bins in the entire aircraft, including Y class. Passengers had much less carry-on baggage in those days. Most were modified to add center bins in later years of operation. Much the same on L-1011s with no center bins in early years of service..

Some DC-10 photos. First 2 photos when Y class was still very spacious 8-abreast (2-4-2), comparable to original 9-abreast 747 configuration (3-4-2)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Fenrich Family
View Large View Medium

Photo © Stefan Ottosson

NZ 9-abreast (2-5-2) but still no center bins.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Wolodymir Nelowkin

UA 9-abreast with after-market center bins. They weren't there originally.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Matthew Lee - Contrails Aviation Photography

World Airways 10-abreast charter configuration (3-4-3) with center bins. Headrest covers for US military charter ("Air Mobility Command").

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Brooks

zkncj

Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:05 am

Quoting nethkt (Reply 22):
On all my widebodies' BIZ class experiences, I've always find empty overhead bins on a full C cabin, QR 380 787 359 77W, TG 747 777s 787 333 and ex 340s, SQ 77W 380, EK 380 777s, MH 772 330 and even 738, NH 787 777s, OZ 333 772ER, NZ 772ER 767.

Agreed - I was the last J class passenger onboard an AKL-MEL NZ 77W flight last year, and struggled to find space for my bag and they only have 26 J seats between door 1 and door 2.

NZ still allows J passengers to take two roll-aboards, so that adds to the problem.

N1120A

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:43 pm

I prefer the A320 family cabin because it's about 6 inches wider than the 737 and permits 1-inch wider seats.

Except that airlines generally choose to make the aisle wider and the seats just the same.

On airlines that have PJs in J, I wear them. The FA's usually hang your clothes. On QR they certainly do. In BA F, I use the nose closet.

Quoting ScottB (Reply 15):

Yeah, not to mention the general factual inaccuracy. I fly approximately 250,000 miles a year, and 90% of that is either in purchased or upgraded premium cabins. I've yet to see such a scene, and silvers certainly don't get upgraded.

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 28):
I have to say that I really don't care what other people wear on the plane. If they want to be comfortable, that's really their choice. I choose not to wear sweats, but when your on a 12-15 hour flight, it doesn't really bother me if others do.

Seriously, it is about the traveler's comfort. Some people change on the plane as well - my wife certainly does. Airlines obviously understand that people want/need to be comfortable on board, as they often provide pajamas in premium cabins.

ahmetdouas

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:46 pm

Well I just board the plane last and place my carry on bag in J class as I know there won't be any space in economy where i sit  ) so I need j class bins to be empty please  

Viscount724

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:20 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
I prefer the A320 family cabin because it's about 6 inches wider than the 737 and permits 1-inch wider seats.

Except that airlines generally choose to make the aisle wider and the seats just the same.

That's an improvement too as it makes the cabin easier to move around when meal/beverage trolleys are in the aisle, and it still feels more spacious if you're in an aisle seat as you're several inches further away from your neighbor across the aisle.

N1120A

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:48 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 44):
That's an improvement too as it makes the cabin easier to move around when meal/beverage trolleys are in the aisle, and it still feels more spacious if you're in an aisle seat as you're several inches further away from your neighbor across the aisle.

Except that it really doesn't. You usually end up with too much space between the window seat and the wall to lean on to sleep.

Aeroflot777

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:20 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 40):

In the early years of DC-10 and L-1011 operations, most aircraft operated with no center bins in the entire aircraft, including Y class.

Look at the size/width of those aisles!!! I would love to go back to these days in aviation. I would gladly take that any day over having a stupid screen in front of my face mounted on a paper thin seatback.

ozglobal

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:49 pm

I think in Business class there would always be a risk of a shortage of storage as the density is still quite high and some passengers insist on bringing the 'kitchen sink' on board.

In First on QF A380, there are only window side overhead bins, due to the very low density. It's still a bit annoying to board and find the centre passenger got to the bin above your seat first and filled it with their stuff. I only travel with one solid cabin bag and no checked luggage (even from EU to Oz), but had to put it in the closet last time which happened to be in front of my seat, or else a free bin somewhere else in the cabin.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui

When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

Freshside3

Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:49 am

For 'loading up on Duty Free', fly any plane/airlines with lots of Koreans. They are the kings of duty free and it's just fine with me.

Canadians going home from the USA also load up on duty free.

Quoting rta (Reply 29):
The extra storage doesn't hurt. Might be helpful for storing extra things in case bins in other cabins get too filled. Occasionally I've had my bag stored in a random closet because everything else was filled.

Keep in mind that there is limited(or no)underseat space in J-class.

N1120A

Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:03 am

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 48):
Canadians going home from the USA also load up on duty free.

To an extent, this is true.

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 48):
Keep in mind that there is limited(or no)underseat space in J-class.

Which is something that has been largely ignored in this thread.