mozart
Topic Author

Concorde At JFK - Questions

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:08 pm

Where did AF and BA park their Concordes during the final years of operations? Planes had long ground times, I assume they did not just leave them standing at the gate with the air bridge connected. So where did they park planes during longer ground turns?

And which gates did they use at Terminals 1 and 7 respectively? Gate 2 at Terminal 1 for Air France? Gates 1 and 2 at Terminal 7 for British Airways?

26point2

RE: Concorde At JFK - Questions

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:53 pm

I don't know enough about JFK to be very helpful but I can tell you that when I flew BA002 BA had a dedicated JFK pre-departure lounge, Concorde Room, with its own jetway to the plane. I had the full English breakfast...with champaign of course.

mozart
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:42 pm

Thanks! That actually answers my question for British Airways. The Concorde Room is still there, and that dedicated lounge is close to Gate 1.

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 1):
champaign

Ouch!!! I hope it was Champagne (=the region in France which produces lovely bubbly wine) and not Champaign (=a drab city in Illinois, probably the opposite of Champagne loveliness) that you had.  

cedarjet

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:55 pm

I saw that too!

Quoting mozart (Reply 2):
Ouch!!! I hope it was Champagne (=the region in France which produces lovely bubbly wine) and not Champaign (=a drab city in Illinois, probably the opposite of Champagne loveliness) that you had.

JFK, ironically because it took ages to get permission for the Concorde to fly there, was undoubtedly the Concorde capital, three arrivals and departures a day (2xBA, AF) plus charter flights.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

JFK31R

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:01 pm

I definitely recall seeing an Air France Concorde use Gate 3 at Terminal 1, but I'm sure they used 1 & 2 as well; Those gates are still used by AF today.

I also definitely remember seeing a BA Concorde use gate 3 at Terminal 7, but again, I'm pretty sure they also used 1 & 2 as well.

Not sure how long the down time was for the Concordes at JFK. I don't know where BA parked theirs, but AF apparently would keep them on a stand adjacent to T1 (see photo from 2003)

Big version: Width: 960 Height: 550 File size: 947kb

[Edited 2016-03-11 09:32:48]

shankly

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:28 pm

I arrived at JFK on BA001 on the evening of the power outage in August 2003 so had the pleasure of deplaning via good old fashioned steps (BA colours mounted on a pick up truck!)

Here we are departing LHR just three hours earlier:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Edward Pavilion

Not sure what gate it was but remember we parked next to a CX744

JFK was eerily quiet
L1011 - P F M

eielef

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:51 pm

I have a question, because at a given time they were approx 6 Concordes flying each for BA and AF.
If they had just one daily flight to JFK, what did they do on the rest of the time?
I thought each Concorde did, at least, a return flight from LHR to JFK or from CDG.

Where they heavily used? Like how many take offs per week, the whole fleet of both AF and BA?

Did AF had scheduled flights from ORY with the Concorde? Where was it parked?
We are speaking not of the last years, but lets say from the 80s or 90s, where they were all flying in good shape, and flying the Concorde was not only for exhibitions, but for paying passengers.

LAX772LR

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:31 pm

Quoting eielef (Reply 6):
If they had just one daily flight to JFK, what did they do on the rest of the time?

Concorde was EXREMELY mtx intensive, so a lot of them spent time in the hangars getting TLC.

Also, remember that pre-2000, BA had double-daily to JFK (that's 4 aircraft) plus weekly scheduled BGI, so their birds stayed busy.

Also, one of the best "secrets" about AF was their tendency to offer "'Round the Bay" supersonic flights, often for $2000 or less. Onboard service was limited, but pax would still get a 2-3hr supersonic experience. They weren't scheduled, but happened all the time, especially after the crash. IINM, part of the reason was to keep pilot/crew hours up, due to the more limited post-crash schedule to JFK.

Then there were the charters, but they were far more limited by both airlines after the crash.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

jfklganyc

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:39 pm

They used gate 1 at T1

And they used the gate closest to the JFK Expwy at T7

The idea was to showcase the aircraft closest to the highways.

When TWA went under, the BA Concorde parked between T5 and the IAB ramp.

T1 has the hardstand just to the NW of the northside of the terminal.

tmu101

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:40 pm

Sort of a related question - did Concorde ever land at EWR for whatever reason (weather diversion, charter, etc)? If so any pictures out there? I've always wondered that.

Sure miss that beautiful bird - it saddens me that I never got the chance to fly on one!  

fbgdavidson

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:34 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 8):
And they used the gate closest to the JFK Expwy at T7

The idea was to showcase the aircraft closest to the highways.

I really don't think that's the case, although possibly a useful by product. Boarding at JFK through was through the Concorde Room (the same at LHR T4) and the Concorde Room is nearest the JFK Expressway.

Quoting eielef (Reply 6):

BA had 2 flights daily until AF4590. One left at 10.30am and the other I believe was at 6.30pm or somewhere around then. My school was about 30 miles out from LHR right under the flightpath and BA001 would come over to "signal" the start of morning break, and the BA003 would always be during evening prep.

BA002 would land about 5.30pm and the BA004 would typically be the last international arrival into Terminal 4 at around 10.15pm. My home was about 50 miles west of LHR under the "arrival" route for Concorde.

Of BA's 7 Concordes only G-BOAC, -AD, -AE and -AF flew after the AF4590 accident.

Really thankful I got my LHR-JFK flight in mid 2002, about 7 months before the retirement was announced...
Supersonic Travel Revisited: LHR-JFK On Concorde (by Fbgdavidson Aug 22 2007 in Trip Reports)
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

GDB

Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:16 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 7):
Also, one of the best "secrets" about AF was their tendency to offer "'Round the Bay" supersonic flights, often for $2000 or less. Onboard service was limited, but pax would still get a 2-3hr supersonic experience. They weren't scheduled, but happened all the time, especially after the crash. IINM, part of the reason was to keep pilot/crew hours up, due to the more limited post-crash schedule to JFK.

We did them at BA first, in fact I think a BA Concorde Capt thought it up in the late 70's, at his local pub many bemoaned the fact they'd not ever afford a flight.
So why not give the experience, albeit a bit truncated compared to a normal LHR-JFK service, of supersonic flight for much less cost?
Less fuel needed, all seats filled, no luggage hassles.

We called them 'Round The Bays' as in the early days that's where the BA ones went, that wasn't always geographically correct later on though.
These were charters and some of the companies were set up by ex BA staffers.

But yes, AF certainly picked up on the idea and ran with it too.

By the time I was in the operation, the late 1990's, we were doing LHR-LHR's as our most frequent charter, dozens per year.
Often we would use the standby aircraft allocated for the BA001, or in season the BA273 to BGI, once they were away the standby aircraft could do a LHR-LHR, get back time to be available to be the standby for the BA003, failing that we could, aircraft status permitting, 'turn' the BA002 back from JFK.

We had standby's because if the allocated one for full scheduled flight went tits up or looked like it might, you wanted to minimise delays for customers paying a lot of money (and often very regular First Pax in general), when the whole point was getting there quicker,
The biggest challenge here wasn't so much with the aircraft, it was being able to get it over to the terminals, allowing a quicker exercise in swapping planes than towing it from the engineering base.

There were plenty of other charters too, to some regular destinations and quite a few to JFK, even sometimes when we were also doing BA001/003's on the same day, nearer Christmas funnily enough!
For all that, all of these charters provided BA Concorde with about 9-10% of revenue, the key was always the scheduled services, hence Concorde's somewhat early (but not so early) retirement, put it this way, a lot of our regular customers were in the World Trade Centre.
Some companies whose floors had been directly hit, when reported in the news, sounded familiar, they had featured a lot on Concorde pax lists.

uclax

Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:49 am

I had the good fortune to fly BA002 in May 2003. We had our breakfast in the Concorde Room and then walked to gate 6 to board. It seemed like they used gate 6 some in the last few months of service. I think they used gates 9 and 10 for some Concorde arrivals around that time, too.
...those who wait for the Lord�s help...rise up as if they had eagles� wings Isaiah 40:31

crownvic

Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:19 am

To answer the question of the O/P, they used hard stand parking when there were extended periods of inactivity.

eielef

Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:28 am

Quoting crownvic (Reply 13):

To answer the question of the O/P, they used hard stand parking when there were extended periods of inactivity.

Even when the aircrafts where brand new?
I heard BA had a scheduled service to DXB on the Concorde, at least as of 1982, isn't it so? I think it also continued somewhere else, maybe SIN, IINM..
AF had flights to GIG via DKR. Were they charters or regulars?

Viscount724

Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:48 am

Quoting eielef (Reply 14):
I heard BA had a scheduled service to DXB on the Concorde, at least as of 1982, isn't it so? I think it also continued somewhere else, maybe SIN, IINM..

It was LHR-BAH-SIN, joint BA/SQ service, started late 1977 and ended late 1980, 3 x week. No service to DXB.

LAX772LR

Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:34 am

I heard BA had a scheduled service to DXB on the Concorde, at least as of 1982, isn't it so?

BAH, not DXB.

AF had flights to GIG via DKR. Were they charters or regulars?

Scheduled.

In fact, LHR-BAH-SIN and CDG-DKR-GIG both departed at the same time, on the first day of scheduled service.... so that both airlines could lay claim to "the first to offer Concorde service."

This was at at time when others were still expected to take delivery.  

stlgph

Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:43 am

Quoting mozart (Reply 2):
Champaign (=a drab city in Illinois,

it always helps to not be ignorant of which you speak. Champaign is far from drab.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

LAX772LR

Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:55 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 11):
the BA273 to BGI

That flight was amazing!

In addition to blocking 20 seats, I heard that BA would only use an aircraft fresh out of mtx, and would wash it in an ionized fluid to prevent dust from accumulating and creating an additional percentage of drag!  Wow!

Talk about effort!
Could anyone expand on that process?

GDB

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:27 am

[quote=LAX772LR,reply=18]That flight was amazing!

In addition to blocking 20 seats, I heard that BA would only use an aircraft fresh out of mtx, and would wash it in an ionized fluid to prevent dust from accumulating and creating an additional percentage of drag!

There was no formal restriction, conditions on the day decided, they were tightened some after the tank mods but in general that had much less effect in general than some had feared.
When I first heard about the idea I did think that's the end of the BGI operation but it wasn't.

Though in theory beyond the range of the aircraft, LHR-BGI flew in the equatorial region and at 11 miles up, the air is cooler, enough to increase engine efficiency and boost the range.
Coming back was easier, Barbados being a small island you could accelerate to supersonic flight right away, like all aircraft it was at it's best at the nominal speed and altitude, in this types case only more so!

There was one maint issue for BGI allocated aircraft, an air test in 1997 had experienced leaks for the actuation system for the telescopic tubes for the secondary nozzle/thrust reverser, which caused the affected one to move out of position a bit. The extra drag caused would not be an issue on a to/from JFK service but would be on a BGI run.
So extra tests were carried out, the system was activated in the hangar, each time creating a loud 'waaahhh' sound, once all had been tested and leak checked, it could be declared serviceable for a BGI.

A fix with a new system was tried in 2002 but it literally could not stand the heat so we went back to the increased testing regime.

I feel lucky that my last Concorde flight was the delivery to retirement of G-BOAE to BGI in November 2003, 75 of us BA Concorde staffers on board, with the longer (4 hour 10 min) flight, we reached 60,000 feet (more usually around 58,000 for a JFK flight) with clearer skies in that region the curve of the Earth was more apparent.

jfklganyc

Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:44 pm

Quoting fbgdavidson (Reply 10):

I really don't think that's the case, although possibly a useful by product. Boarding at JFK through was through the Concorde Room (the same at LHR T4) and the Concorde Room is nearest the JFK Expressway.

In the case of T7, the JFK Expwy didn't exist when it was built. That was just a street. The Concorde gate was the last one against the road.

In the case of T1, it absolutely was intentional. See article below.

From a NY Time article:

"A 'New' Kennedy Airport Takes Wing
By DAVID W. DUNLAP
Published: October 26, 1997"

"The airlines formed a limited partnership, Terminal One Group Association. Its general partner is Terminal One Management, in which the airlines have equal shares. Mr. Bergt is chief executive. The executive director Arthur F. McMahon, who formerly managed the Trans World Airlines and British Airways terminals.
The partnership holds a sublease on the property through 2015 from the Port Authority. It is renewable through 2024 if the city extends the authority's lease. However, Mr. McMahon said, the partnership has a separate agreement with the city, also running through 2024, should the authority's overall lease be terminated. Financing came from the sale in 1994 of $435 million in bonds by the Industrial Development Agency.
Terminal 1 has 635,000 square feet of space. The check-in hall has four islands for use by each of the airlines. Beyond that is a two-level rotunda that will be used as the food court. There are eight gates on the south concourse, three on the west, including the Concorde's position, which will be visible from the Van Wyck Expressway.
There is room in the terminal for approximately seven more airlines, Mr. McMahon said, depending on the size of their operations. Tenants will be courted with the idea that the terminal has been constructed by the very companies who use it. ''What was brought to the design and functionality of the building is decades of first-hand experience,'' Mr. Bergt said. ''This has been built by airlines for airlines"

crownvic

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:10 pm

The OP asked about final years...

ZuluTime

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Just before the crash, I had the lifetime experience of a JFK-LHR sector on G-BOAB. Great fun - the previous flight had gone tech and the Captain did the rounds in the Concorde Room to talk to passengers before boarding. Got underway and we were "told" - warned - that the aircraft would make an early left turn over Jamaica Bay for noise abatement. Really quite something - the early left turn was more like a half-barrel roll!

I've never known an aircraft flex in flight quite like Concorde - any turbulence and the aircraft really vibrated more than a subsonic aircraft. Landing into LHR late at night (BA4) was far faster than you'd ever feel on a subsonic flight and as the main gear touched, the flex in the fuselage was really apparent between the main gear being flown into the ground and the nose gear touching down.

I'm delighted that I had the chance to fly on it - something that money can't buy nowadays and a wonderful thing to have done. The funniest thing was that Mick Jagger (also on the flight) picked up my suitcase from the baggage carousel at Heathrow and I had to go running after him to politely explain that he might have picked up the wrong case. His came along just in time to avoid an argument....

ZeeZoo

Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Is this from Newark?

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 576 File size: 74kb
Concorde

[Edited 2016-03-12 13:12:06]

mozart
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:22 pm

Thanks everybody, fantastic information! And I love all the anecdotes.

I wasn't aware that there were always spare planes, but obviously it makes a lot of sense. THis is the kind of product where you want to make sure you can deliver.

Quoting stlgph (Reply 17):
it always helps to not be ignorant of which you speak. Champaign is far from drab.

C'mon... (i) accusing me of "ignorance" when the poster I was quoting wrote "Champaign" to talk about the sparkling wine that eveyone knows is from Champagne (ii) accusing me of ignorance without knowing that I actually have been to Champaign IL, which is very much "Anyville, USA". Certainly drab in comparison to the sparkle of Champagne.

LAX772LR

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:49 pm

Quoting ZeeZoo (Reply 23):
Is this from Newark?

Could be wrong, but looks like an everyday departure from JFK 31L, to me.

From what I remember, it was tough to get a pic of the towers from EWR without the (Bayonne?) bridge ending up in the photo.

[Edited 2016-03-12 15:57:42]

RyanairGuru

Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:47 am

Quoting ZeeZoo (Reply 23):

That's not Newark, I don't know enough about JFK to say whether it was there but it definitely isn't EWR.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

timz

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:18 am

You see the tower atop the north WTC tower-- so camera is east of them. That tallest building left of Concorde is probably the Williamsburg Bank tower in Brooklyn.

[Edited 2016-03-12 17:21:47]

jfklganyc

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:12 am

It's departing 31L at JFK.

Can't believe those buildings are gone. And can't believe how many buildings have been added in Lower Manhattan since they came down

muzyck

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:28 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 28):
It's departing 31L at JFK.

Can't believe those buildings are gone. And can't believe how many buildings have been added in Lower Manhattan since they came down

That is puzzling. I am pretty sure that those iconic buildings in the background would not be visible from JFK.

Edit: I guess it is possible. The position of some of the other buildings I recognize does look "off".

[Edited 2016-03-13 19:48:40]

muzyck

Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:11 am

Quoting mozart (Reply 24):
Is this from Newark?

Any possibility that the photo has a reversed image? Something does not look right. When I reverse the image it clearly looks like it is JFK.

LAX772LR

Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:45 am

Quoting muzyck (Reply 30):
Any possibility that the photo has a reversed image? Something does not look right. When I reverse the image it clearly looks like it is JFK.

It's definitely *not* reversed.

31L is the runway that faced directly toward the twin towers, and water is to its left (as is in this pic).
It was also one of the common runways for Concorde takeoffs, with the famous sharp bank to the left, at way lower altitude than subsonic aircraft.

Airdolomiti

Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:17 am

Quoting fbgdavidson (Reply 10):
Of BA's 7 Concordes only G-BOAC, -AD, -AE and -AF flew after the AF4590 accident.

AG also flew after the crash, or at least it operated my sole Concorde flight in June 2003.

Quoting ZuluTime (Reply 22):
I'm delighted that I had the chance to fly on it - something that money can't buy nowadays and a wonderful thing to have done.

Couldn't agree more!

mozart
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:16 am

Quoting Airdolomiti (Reply 32):
AG also flew after the crash, or at least it operated my sole Concorde flight in June 2003.

What happened to the others? Serve es spare part reservoir?

fbgdavidson

Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:14 pm

GDB, I love reading these Concorde threads, one of the primary reasons for the wealth of knowledge you bring from your time involved   

You are completely right of course, not sure why I didn't stretch the alphabet one further letter!

Quoting muzyck (Reply 29):
That is puzzling. I am pretty sure that those iconic buildings in the background would not be visible from JFK.

Oh yeah, I've been further out on Long Island (maybe 10 miles east of JFK) and you can easily make out the Freedom Tower from there.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

ClassicLover

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:29 pm

Quoting fbgdavidson (Reply 34):
GDB, I love reading these Concorde threads, one of the primary reasons for the wealth of knowledge you bring from your time involved

I agree on this point, very much so! I always know I'm in for a fascinating read when GDB posts!

Quoting mozart (Reply 33):
What happened to the others? Serve es spare part reservoir?

I believe both G-BOAA and G-BOAB were planned to be modified but the retirement announcement stopped all work on that. Others will know the details of the status of both airframes at that time, on how close they were to flying...
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

LAX772LR

Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:00 pm

Quoting classiclover (Reply 35):
I always know I'm in for a fascinating read when GDB posts!

Yeah, me too.

#co-sign

jfklganyc

Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:42 pm

Quoting muzyck (Reply 29):

Not to be snarky...but you dont know the view from JFK too well haha

Seriously though, all of lower Manhattan is visible from JFK. You go to the top of the garage you get a nice view of the whole city

View from cockpit is quite nice too

ZeeZoo

Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:55 pm

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/2629769

It is JFK according to the photographer. Just looked odd (knew Concorde diverted to Newark once and wondered if that picture might be it).

crownvic

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:03 am

The picture was done with a telephoto lens thats why the city looks so close..there are several similar archived photos with that same effect..

GDB

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:42 am

Quoting classiclover (Reply 35):
I believe both G-BOAA and G-BOAB were planned to be modified but the retirement announcement stopped all work on that. Others will know the details of the status of both airframes at that time, on how close they were to flying...

Originally, G-BOAB would have been after OAD and OAC, those two were done virtually in tandem, though it was uncertain if G-BOAA would be.
Just prior to the accident it was due for a large scheduled check, ideally you could do the tank mods then but that would have meant a very long input,

The creeping slowdown in full fare pax, after a pretty strong start when the operation was resumed, then the lack of forward bookings for both Concorde and First from major corporate customers for 2002/2003, kept putting back the resumption of the BA003/BA004.
Which made the rationale of spending 2-3 million pounds on an aircraft that might not be needed harder to make, the cabin update had to be split into two parts, the new lavs, lights and galleys would have to wait, there were installation and weight problems with the new lavs anyway.

Then the latest SFAR88 regs on aging aircraft fuel tanks, a bunch of new systems needed to stay current and supportable, pushed the costs way up, in a way unforeseen not long before, just when the revenue took a hit, which while thought to be only short term, came at the worst time as far as Concorde was concerned.

For AF, it was even worse for revenue and they had the same costs, so when they pulled the plug, making BA's operation unviable, despite strongly backing the uncertain - as seen at first - and possibly technically risky return to flight effort, I suspect the CEO of BA was secretly pleased AF in effect made the decision for him.

Plus it gave us time to best plan how to give the aircraft the send off she deserved, despite lack of frames and now very full aircraft once the retirement was announced!

ZeeZoo

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:57 am

Does anyone know if this is a render or not? It's from a late 80s/early 90s British Airways calendar.

GDB

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:02 am

Quoting ZeeZoo (Reply 41):
Does anyone know if this is a render or not? It's from a late 80s/early 90s British Airways calendar.

Yes, pre photoshop.

jfklganyc

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:26 pm

I have that poster. Totally awesome shot! Looks real in poster

Polot

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:49 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 43):
I have that poster. Totally awesome shot! Looks real in poster

Well to be fair it is likely a real photo of the Concorde, and of course a real photo of NYC (taken in the late 70s/early 80s based on the state of the World Financial Center/Battery Park City). They just made a composite of the two.

RIX

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:11 pm

AG also flew after the crash...

AE, AF, and AG were the three on that final LHR landing on Oct 24, 2003. AG was the one that operated the last ever scheduled flight that day.

GDB, I love reading these Concorde threads...

It's great they keep appearing.

flightsimer

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:11 pm

Oh yeah, I've been further out on Long Island (maybe 10 miles east of JFK) and you can easily make out the Freedom Tower from there

On a clear day you can make it out all the way from Philly.
Commercial / Airline Pilot

IflewGBOAG

Re: RE: Concorde At JFK - Questions

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:33 pm

ZeeZoo wrote:
Is this from Newark?

Concorde[Edited 2016-03-12 13:12:06]

I took that photo. :D It was taken in the late 80's from the top of the Pan Am Worldport parking lot. It was scanned from a print. Once I get a good negative scanner, I'll upload it to the screeners.

ZeeZoo

Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:41 am

IflewGBOAG wrote:
ZeeZoo wrote:
Is this from Newark?

Concorde[Edited 2016-03-12 13:12:06]

I took that photo. :D It was taken in the late 80's from the top of the Pan Am Worldport parking lot. It was scanned from a print. Once I get a good negative scanner, I'll upload it to the screeners.

Oh wow, seriously? This is amazing. :D :D :D

How did you stumble across this thread after so long?

piedmont762

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:18 am

tmu101 wrote:
Sort of a related question - did Concorde ever land at EWR for whatever reason (weather diversion, charter, etc)? If so any pictures out there? I've always wondered that.

Sure miss that beautiful bird - it saddens me that I never got the chance to fly on one!  

A few times for weather reasons I believe in the 90s. It was extremely rare - like seeing an AA 777 at the airport or something.

Concorde flights on a daily basis were rare other than JFK. IAD was pretty consistent and LAX and MIA got it from time to time as well

Fuel prices are down - BA bring the Concorde back! ;-)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos