Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Viscount724

Does A Christian Airline Exist?

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:53 am

Quoting nikeherc (Reply 38):
Quoting afcjets (Reply 35):

You do realize that the actual name of the Mormon Church is the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints?

Which reminds me that David Neeleman, the founding CEO of JetBlue and founder and current CEO of Azul in Brazil (and part owner of TAP Portugal) is a devout Mormon.

allrite

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:57 am

What aircraft would a Christian airline fly? Turboprops, like the Dash 8 and ATR72, have cruciform shapes. The 787 wing reminds me of a crescent or sickle.

Just sayin'   
I like artificial banana essence!

fanofjets

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:04 am

It was tried twice:

The Lord's Airline, using an ex-IB DC-8. All the IFE was to have been Christian.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Guido Allieri - Italy
View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon Collection-Pima Air and Space Museum

Christ Is the Answer, using a former AA CV990.

View Large View Medium

Photo © JetPix

Neither airline got off the ground... literally.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Braniff747SP

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:18 am

Quoting ua900 (Reply 24):
How so? I've flown both of them and never saw anything particularly religious in the way they were run? Are you guys basing this on ownership,

Management (particularly the CEO) are unabashed Christians - it manifests itself quite clearly in corporate communications.

They're not discriminatory or anything like that, but it's the closest thing I can think of to answer the OP's odd question (above and beyond a simple "no", of course).
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

DocLightning

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:40 am

Quoting ec99 (Reply 19):

And the reason we have no religious airlines in the USA is because airlines are corporations with stockholders. In a diverse country, you want to have as broad an appeal as possible. Places like Chick-Fil-a keep their religious affiliation by being privately controlled but airlines are largely to big to be privately owned. Religious affiliations with airlines tend to happen when they are government owned or with countries that restrict freedom of religion.

Is anyone aware of an exception? A publicly-held corporation with a clear religious affiliation? I am assuming that such a company would provide some service for the clerical industry, such as printing Bibles (or whichever holy text), producing those little single-serving communion cups, or other such work.

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 27):

A huge airline based in St. George Utah, come on man.

Most of the senior management at OO is likely very religious. OO has never behaved on a corporate level in any way to suggest that they favor a given religion. Wisely, the management has chosen to keep that out of official policy and official publicity.

Similarly, even the closely-held In-N-Out Burger is owned by a very religious family, but the only sign of this is some Bible verse references (John 3:16, etc.) printed in subtle areas on containers. Their corporate policies are that of a progressive, well-run, ethical, equal-opportunity company.

Now, as far as airlines are concerned, a religious airline would mostly be one run by a theocratic government. Now, there are only two Christian theocracies. The first is the Vatican, which doesn't really have "companies," per se. The other is Great Britain (yeah, really...the monarch is the head of state). I don't know of a modern country that claims Biblical law as its official law and so I cannot think of any expressly Christian airlines. Also, I can't imagine what such an airline would do differently from any general airline. Maybe a passenger dress code. But Christianity (in general) has no prohibition on alcohol, no prohibition on any food that I can think of, and no mandatory prayer before travel (AFAIK; my upbringing is Jewish).

When I was a little boy my parents took me to Chile around 1988 or so. Chile is, of course, a very Christian country. At one point we boarded a LA 732 CC-CHU and over the door was a decal indicating that the Pope had flown aboard this aircraft during his 1987 visit. I wondered if I'd sit in his seat. My parents dismissed me, saying that they would have used a different internal layout aboard the aircraft. I kept on asking "what if?" in that annoying 10yo way of mine. So imagine my delight and their horror when I found my seat and the little gold plaque above it saying that the Pope had flown in this very seat....  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ferminbrif

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:44 am

noway because there isn't such a fanaticism among christian

Freshside3

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:18 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 54):
But Christianity (in general) has no prohibition on alcohol, no prohibition on any food that I can think of,

In a general sense. But Eastern Orthodox Christians do have prohibition of meat on Fridays, and during Lent as well. And there is also a very small group within Catholicism that calls themselves "traditionalists"(that go back to the original rules, pre-Vatican II) that do the same.

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:39 am

Quoting airfrnt (Reply 46):
In fact, the number one predictor of a anti-trump voter is one that attends church weekly

Perhaps. But evangelical leaders dropped to their knees for Trump so fast their fillings fell out.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 53):
Management (particularly the CEO) are unabashed Christians - it manifests itself quite clearly in corporate communications.

and they're terrible.

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 14):
I've always found it odd the freedom to practice one's religious beliefs or show them openly is vehemently defended UNLESS it is Christian. I don't understand why Christianity gets singled out more than the others. Simply because in the US, it represents the majority?

You must be joking. There is a tidal wave of "religious liberty" laws being proposed around the country almost daily that are thinly veiled attempts to promote christianity. And that's just the tip of the christian iceberg.
I don't take responsibility at all

mayor

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:43 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 30):
99% of the airline doesnt even touch ST George which makes the hdq location all the more curious. They should probably at least be in LAS.
Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 34):
I don't know if you understand the size of St Geroge Utah and where it is located. It is the middle of nowhere.

Not sure why this is such a big deal. It is just a short drive from LAS. If you want to put their Hq in a large airport, SLC would be a better choice than LAS.

BTW, in case you didn't know it, LAS was originally founded by Mormons as was Phoenix.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

32andBelow

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:51 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 58):
Not sure why this is such a big deal. It is just a short drive from LAS. If you want to put their Hq in a large airport, SLC would be a better choice than LAS.

BTW, in case you didn't know it, LAS was originally founded by Mormons as was Phoenix.

Just pointing out that they are a massive airline in a tiny town. Must make their corporate travel inefficient. The question was about religious airlines and St. George is pretty religious.

irelayer

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:57 am

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 14):
I've always found it odd the freedom to practice one's religious beliefs or show them openly is vehemently defended UNLESS it is Christian. I don't understand why Christianity gets singled out more than the others. Simply because in the US, it represents the majority?

"Majority rules, minority rights" - that sort of thing?

I'll bite...your premise is completely false. If United Airlines decides that if I eat meat on Fridays or drink alcohol on Sundays or whatever (not saying this is a mainstream Christian thing at this point) I would get a 10 minute sermon from the FA about sin, then this would be annoying. Handing me a religious pamphlet with my meal is the same thing. Also if there was a demand for such an airline, I'm sure it would exist! Really, no one cares. Now as to the whole "singled out" thing...

I was born in the US, went to a Catholic kindergarten, learned all about the Bible, celebrated Christmas and Easter, gave up stuff for Lent, bought some Filet-O-Fish for 99 cents on Fridays, and rested every Sunday, and I'm not Christian! So I don't see your point. There is a difference between freedom to practice for all religion and imposing your religion on someone unilaterally. Generally, overt displays of religion are seen as pushy, no matter what religion it is. I don't think it's a matter of being singled out.

There is another factor you haven't considered...the kind of religious tolerance that was built into our Constitution from the get-go really came out of persecuted Christians from other places, like the Puritans. And "Christianity" is not such a uniform thing either. I mean we have Lutherans, Methodists, Baptists, Episcopalians, etc etc, and they don't always agree! I doubt the founding fathers were really worried about how Muslims, Jews, Hindus, etc would be tolerated in the US. They probably just figured anyone that believes in Christ but not the "right" flavor is welcome to come over to the New World and do their thing. At that time that was a helluva concept and the fact that it's been upheld for this long is a wonder in and of itself.

I'll end with this and it applies to this board as well: ""I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

-IR

[Edited 2016-03-14 21:58:48]

afterburner

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:57 am

This may be the closest thing to a 'Christian' airline: http://www.maf.org.

mayor

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:18 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 59):
St. George is pretty religious.

Not as much as how things are in the northern half of the state, I don't believe. But, not being LDS, but having lived in N. Utah for 23 years, I wouldn't know for sure.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Devilfish

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:31 am

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 49):

TG has a Buddhist monk bless the new planes, upon delivery, as well.

And LH had the mayor of Hamburg pour champagne on the nose of the A380 named after his city...    ...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Lars Hentschel

Not sure if the water salute has religious origins?.....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Fablee

Chile is, of course, a very Christian country. At one point we boarded a LA 732 CC-CHU and over the door was a decal indicating that the Pope had flown aboard this aircraft during his 1987 visit.

As the Philippines is a very Catholic country.....

http://media.philstar.com/images/the...ar/nation/20150120/PopeFrancis.jpg

Although that did not diminish the consternation of those who were on other delayed flights or who would have been on all of the cancelled flights.

So imagine my delight and their horror when I found my seat and the little gold plaque above it saying that the Pope had flown in this very seat....

The PR Shepherd 1 had embroidered headrest covers.....

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7KqP8IIgAEnZSL.jpg
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:39 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 62):
Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 59):
St. George is pretty religious.

Not as much as how things are in the northern half of the state, I don't believe. But, not being LDS, but having lived in N. Utah for 23 years, I wouldn't know for sure.

OO has long run an excellent airline, and I've never heard a peep about their religion, but maybe I've missed it. RL on the other hand, has been a mess for years, and Bryan Bedford has been very vocal about his christianity and by many accounts is a dreadful person.
I don't take responsibility at all

AirIndia

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:57 am

Air India does a hindu ceremony with a priest chanting shlokas and a small agni (fire) for good luck.

Funnily, some years back I heard about a group of Sikh businessmen planning to start an airline called Akal Air (Akal is word describing god in sikh scriptures). However it never materialied but surprisingly there was an airline started by Bangladeshi businessmen called Air Sylhet which operated a short while BHX-ATQ via VIE with leased 757s. The tail logo of that airline was the Sikh symbol. Not sure i got the logic of a Bangal airline with Sikh symbol.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thomas Posch - VAP

coolian2

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:22 am

I'd suggest that airlines offering prayer rooms etc on board aren't doing it to be religious - they're catering to the practices of the generally expected majority of the passengers. I bet it's a business decision to offer them.

I'm going to boldly assume many US cruise ships offer prayer rooms and church services of their own.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

Grummancat

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:23 am

What about Lutheran Airlines?? I thought they were a pretty devout bunch.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KakIacaDyCI

Andy33

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:26 am

Now, as far as airlines are concerned, a religious airline would mostly be one run by a theocratic government. Now, there are only two Christian theocracies. The first is the Vatican, which doesn't really have "companies," per se. The other is Great Britain (yeah, really...the monarch is the head of state).

The monarch of the United Kingdom is also ex-officio head of the Church of England. But this is entirely irrelevant in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, the other three constituent parts of the UK. There's no actual country called Great Britain. However since women priests were only accepted in the Church of England in 1994; there has never been any prohibition on female monarchs; and the present Queen (in office since 1952) has never shown the slightest inclination to become a priest, England can't be a theocracy, which means rule by priests (or ministers, pastors, rabbis, imams etc).

As the UK collectively is probably one of the least religious countries on earth, measured by attendance at any form of organised worship, it isn't surprising that UK based airlines don't make any claim to religion. After all, a truly Christian airline would have to give some of its seats to the poor, and its executives would have to do the same with their income...

b747400erf

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:59 am

Quoting a380787 (Reply 1):

If Trump Shuttle still existed today, it could count as one.

When I look at Trump, the first thing that comes to mind, is "Christian." You people are too funny.

b747400erf

Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:09 am

The irony is those who bash Christianity left and right are just helping fulfill the prophecy that Christians will constantly face persecution.

Christians in the west are so persecuted.  
Quoting Airbus747 (Reply 41):

- most Western cultures were shaped or influenced by Christianity one way or another;

And here is the "The American founders were Christians" argument. Read a book.

Quoting airfrnt (Reply 46):

In short, don't believe everything that MSNBC sells you.

As the WSJ notes:

The irony in this statement.

Angry working class white people are upset that the country is becoming more diverse. It's very simple and has nothing to do with Christianity. That is separate from Christian conservatives who will support anyone Republican because all they care about is opposing abortion and rights for LGBT. They will even vote Trump after 8 years of Obama's a secret Muslim all because they must vote GOP.

PanHAM

Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:24 am

Quoting shankly (Reply 21):

of course:

best reply

Quoting Devilfish (Reply 63):

And LH had the mayor of Hamburg pour champagne on the nose of the A380 named after his city... ...

what else, Alster Water is too dry, Hamburg just follows an old Tradition from the Christian Seafaring and as an old ship building Location.

Religion is a personal matter whoich should not be throown upon the public by mandatory prayers, luckily Europe received enlightenment several hundred years ago and freedom of religion also means freedom from religion.

When Pope Benedict visited Germany some years ago, LH flew him in an A321 christened "Regensburg", the City where he spent many years and the aircraft overflew his home town on a low fly-past.

LH even was able to top all that, the Captain on that flight also had completed a theology study.

Religion is personal choice of People, corporations have to take a neutral stand and that is why there cannot be a "Christian Airline".
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

KLRU

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:10 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 31):
Some European airlines have no or limited operations on Christmas Day, in deference to Christian customs but most likely due to staffing issues. I am quite sure a lot Christian payers are said by pax and flight staff when trouble during flights.

That is due to the fact that the demand on Christmas Day in Europe is very low. People are off work and with their families. The Days prior to and after Christmas are really busy though.

Saleem

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:37 am

All Pakistani Airlines recites a special prayer from Quran, which is especially advised before starting a journey.

This prayer is in Section 25, chapter number 43 and part of verse number 13 and full verse number 14 of Quran and every Muslim is advised to recite this prayer before starting any journey.

I don't remember but I think that Emirates also recites this prayer but not sure.

caoimhin

RE: Does A Christian Airline Exist?

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:14 am

Our Lady Air.

SKAirbus

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:52 am

What would a Christian airline involve??

"We welcome all people unless:

- You are gay.
- You are transgender.
- You are a divorcee.
- You have had an abortion.
- You attend church irregularly.
- You are any other religion.
- You were born out of wedlock.
- You have had sex before marriage".

The whole idea of religious airlines is a joke... that goes for muslim, jewish, Buddhist as well as Christian. When providing an international service you need to be opening and welcoming of everyone and not impose your religious views on any of your customers.

As an atheist I honestly believe that religion as a concept has had a negative impact on our existence. It has lead to intolerance and judgement towards others. People also use religion as an "excuse" for their hatred.
Base: BRU

AVFCdownunder

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 3):
Republic is probably as close as you're going to get.

Why, what do they do differently?

Ferroviarius

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Good afternoon,

I am astonished that the moderators have not yet deleted this tread without any further explanation (as I had experienced previously). There appears to be a tabu on board: Do not discuss politics and religion. Most people will think the loss of safety as induced by two cholerics discussing religion or politics is too serious to be tolerated.

I would like to bring another aspect to your attention:

I think we must, at least from a Bibilical point of view, Tanah as well as NT, and from a neuroscience point of view strictly distinguish between "faith" and "religion" the former being undefinable in scientific terms - just as "G_d" is undefinable and incomprehensible, comprehensibility automatically resulting in the loss of autonomy and divinity -, the latter being a part of our personal and sociological behavior.

As Bonhoeffer wrote:

A G_d, which would exist, does not exist.

Best wishes,

Ferroviarius

(Physicist and auxiliary pries (christian))

flyingdoc787

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Quote:
What would a Christian airline involve??

"We welcome all people unless:

- You are gay.
- You are transgender.
- You are a divorcee.
- You have had an abortion.
- You attend church irregularly.
- You are any other religion.
- You were born out of wedlock.
- You have had sex before marriage".

The Catholic Church is like a hospital for healing of body and soul. She calls everyone (ALL of us) to conversion...we all make mistakes, not just those people on this list. ALL of us need some kind of change.

Religion per se is not the problem - the problem is us humans who, because of our pride, do not really understand and live out the Christian teachings. We fall into the temptation of judging others instead of looking sincerely at ourselves first.

As for an airline - it's a business, not a church. There doesn't have to be a Christian airline, but I wouldn't mind flying in one that offered prayers.

jmc1975

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Not yet. However, after Christ returns to the earth and takes the throne in Jerusalem for His millennial reign, every airline in the world will then be a Christian airline.

airbazar

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:00 pm

Quoting lesfalls (Thread starter):
This made me wonder if there is/was a Christian,Hindu or Buddhist airline?

What exactly is a Christian airline? An airline owned by a Christian government? If so then there are lots and in the past there were even more. Offering a prayer room, to me is not an indication of an airlines' religion as much as a business decision.

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 22):
I know that practices such as wearing a head scarf are defended by many civil liberty groups. It seems that the rights to display Christian religious symbols is opposed by the same groups, instead of defended by them. I was just trying to pose the interrogative. Please do not take it as anything otherwise.

Uh? Your statement is highly inaccurate but I'll keep this aviation related. What airline in this country has kept you from practicing your religion? On top of that, you'd be hard pressed to find an airport in this country without a chapel. I think you've been drinking a little too much of the right wing coolaid.

Quoting ferminbrif (Reply 55):
noway because there isn't such a fanaticism among christian

Right, we don't have any of those at all  
You'll be surprised to learn that the muslim religion has a special exemption for prayer and fasting while traveling. In other words if you're a muslim you don't have to either pray or fast while on a plane. This is easily observed. You can get on an EK A380 with 300 muslims on board and hardly a single one will pray the entire flight. The prayer room is a mere amenity.

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 66):
I'd suggest that airlines offering prayer rooms etc on board aren't doing it to be religious - they're catering to the practices of the generally expected majority of the passengers. I bet it's a business decision to offer them.
I'm going to boldly assume many US cruise ships offer prayer rooms and church services of their own.

Bingo!

WIederling

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:12 pm

Quoting lesfalls (Thread starter):

ROFL.

Does exist!
Only sells one way tickets and does not use physical transport  

there is a Lottery running that decides at which of two destinations
you will be dropped.

Hihi,
Whiffs of Heinleins "Job: A Comedy of Justice"
Murphy is an optimist

AA777223

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:37 pm

Quoting irelayer (Reply 60):
There is another factor you haven't considered...the kind of religious tolerance that was built into our Constitution from the get-go really came out of persecuted Christians from other places, like the Puritans. And "Christianity" is not such a uniform thing either. I mean we have Lutherans, Methodists, Baptists, Episcopalians, etc etc, and they don't always agree! I doubt the founding fathers were really worried about how Muslims, Jews, Hindus, etc would be tolerated in the US. They probably just figured anyone that believes in Christ but not the "right" flavor is welcome to come over to the New World and do their thing. At that time that was a helluva concept and the fact that it's been upheld for this long is a wonder in and of itself.

That is a very interesting and well thought out perspective. I appreciate your objective insight, and those of others that have shared on this thread.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

afcjets

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:42 pm

Quoting irelayer (Reply 60):
I was born in the US, went to a Catholic kindergarten, learned all about the Bible, celebrated Christmas and Easter, gave up stuff for Lent, bought some Filet-O-Fish for 99 cents on Fridays, and rested every Sunday, and I'm not Christian! So I don't see your point. There is a difference between freedom to practice for all religion and imposing your religion on someone unilaterally

So exactly who was it that forced your parents to choose to send you to a private religious kindergarten?

afcjets

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:55 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 70):
The irony is those who bash Christianity left and right are just helping fulfill the prophecy that Christians will constantly face persecution.
Christians in the west are so persecuted.

Just piggybacking off your previous comment in the post about Trump's effect on US Travel in non-aviation:

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 29):
Not true there were people that fled the George W. Bush administration and countries like Guatemala and Costa Rica are full of expat fundamentalist Christian Americans fleeting what they feel is "Christian persecution" in the USA.

Braniff747SP

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:06 pm

Quoting AVFCdownunder (Reply 76):

Why, what do they do differently?

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 53):

They're not discriminatory or anything like that, but it's the closest thing I can think of to answer the OP's odd question (above and beyond a simple "no", of course).
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

WIederling

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:31 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 70):
Christians in the west are so persecuted

he.
Especially when it is blowback from obnoxious proselytizing  
Murphy is an optimist

Devilfish

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:41 pm

Quoting WIederling (Reply 81):
there is a Lottery running that decides at which of two destinations
you will be dropped.

I think there's an intermediate (tech) stop for those not clearly identified as to final destination.   
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

mayor

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:57 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 75):
It has lead to intolerance and judgement towards others.

Much as you've demonstrated on this post.  

enilria

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:03 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 3):
Republic is probably as close as you're going to get.

True

Quoting Polot (Reply 4):

AS use to give out prayer cards with the meal.

I think it used to lean that way.

Wasn't the Air Atlanta that had a "hub" in ATL and was all J class with 727s calling themselves a Christian airline? They were 1980s I think.

bobnwa

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:17 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 10):
Didn't the Vatican try an airline recently with crew trained to deal with "spiritual" matters on board?

No i do not remember the Vatican starting an airline.

irelayer

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Quoting afcjets (Reply 83):
So exactly who was it that forced your parents to choose to send you to a private religious kindergarten?

We lived in Old Town (Chicago) and it was the best school in the area that my parents could afford and also was walking distance from our apartment. I still have the Children's Bible from that actually!

-IR

MHG

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:10 pm

Well, I don't think there's a dedicated christian airline really.
In comparison there's at least one I know that's dedicated to muslims.
It's Malaysia based Rayani Air. They operate two B737 for now.
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

SCQ83

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:22 pm

Wouldn't Alitalia be an "unofficial" Christian airline? It is the closest thing to a Vatican carrier.

VCEflyboy

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:38 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned but there was a short lived OASiS airlines which was founded by a Christian minister and used to run all-business class low-cost 747 flights between vancouver and HKG. Really sad it's gone!

DocLightning

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:47 pm

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 56):

In a general sense. But Eastern Orthodox Christians do have prohibition of meat on Fridays, and during Lent as well. And there is also a very small group within Catholicism that calls themselves "traditionalists"(that go back to the original rules, pre-Vatican II) that do the same.

And airlines from predominantly Orthodox countries or Catholic countries tend to cater to those customers without being expressly religious.

Similarly, if you travel through Utah, many chain fast-food restaurants (McDonald's, Subway, etc.) offer caffeine-free Diet Coke in their soda fountains to cater to the local LDS population. None of these restaurants are remotely expressly Mormon.

Quoting Andy33 (Reply 68):
England can't be a theocracy, which means rule by priests (or ministers, pastors, rabbis, imams etc).

Except it is because the head of state is also the head of the church. It really is, by definition. It's also a very secular and liberal country, but technically it is a theocracy. Even KSA is not a theocracy, although one would argue that their style of governance is theocratic. Iran is a theocracy, though.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

coolian2

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:52 pm

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 94):
Not sure if it's been mentioned but there was a short lived OASiS airlines which was founded by a Christian minister and used to run all-business class low-cost 747 flights between vancouver and HKG. Really sad it's gone!

Not sure if you're remembering them quite the way they were. They were a Y and J LCC. They also flew LGW-HKG and got eaten by the full service competition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_Hong_Kong_Airlines

VCEflyboy

Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:02 pm

Coolian yes oasis served both London gatwick and Vancouver.
The founder was a famous reverend from Vancouver.
Thanks for your correction. I seriously believed it was all J but if you say so I'll take your word for it.

ua900

Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:09 pm

What would a Christian airline involve?? "We welcome all people unless:- You are gay.- You are transgender.- You are a divorcee.- You have had an abortion. - You attend church irregularly.- You are any other religion. - You were born out of wedlock.- You have had sex before marriage".

That's changing fast... especially in Catholicism, though undoubtedly it will even reach some Evangelicals in a couple of years.

The whole idea of religious airlines is a joke... that goes for muslim, jewish, Buddhist as well as Christian.

Try eating pork rinds or pork jerky on a ME carrier. Dirty looks galore and that bag had better be empty by the time you get on the ground.

Quoting Ferroviarius (Reply 77):
There appears to be a tabu on board: Do not discuss politics and religion. Most people will think the loss of safety as induced by two cholerics discussing religion or politics is too serious to be tolerated.

Why, it's in an airline context. We often talk about presidential / gubernatorial / candidate planes for example, and occasionally about Papal flights.

Quoting WIederling (Reply 81):
Does exist! Only sells one way tickets and does not use physical transport there is a Lottery running that decides at which of two destinations you will be dropped.

No pesky frequent flyers on that carrier. It's a complimentary ticket for the passenger. Lots of fees and taxes though.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 93):
Wouldn't Alitalia be an "unofficial" Christian airline?

Nah, they're effectively controlled by EY, going the other way   
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

coolian2

Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:22 pm

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 97):
Coolian yes oasis served both London gatwick and Vancouver.
The founder was a famous reverend from Vancouver.
Thanks for your correction. I seriously believed it was all J but if you say so I'll take your word for it.

I don't know why, since I had no good reason to, have a really clear memory of them. Never went near them but I suspect they must have been a big talking point on this forum a lot for me to remember.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos