Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Will Scoot Ever Fly To Europe?

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:42 am

Unlike D7, TZ have aircraft capable of reaching Europe right now, but they've stayed fairly close to home, focusing mostly on medium haul routes into Asia and Australia. Does anyone know if TZ are ever going to fly to Europe? It might not be luxurious, but if their prices are reasonable I'm sure they'd be able to draw some passengers.

Regards,
Martin

gabrielchew

RE: Will Scoot Ever Fly To Europe?

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:04 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Thread starter):
but if their prices are reasonable

I think that's the issue. From the Far East to Europe fares are already quite low from the likes of the ME3. Any no-frills carrier will have to be marketly lower than them to be offer a serious chance of getting pax on board, especially once bag fees, meals etc have been added. I guess this is why Air Asia X, Oasis Hong Kong, Phuket Air etc failed on these long (+12 hour) sectors.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

AngMoh

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:25 pm

There was speculation in the local newspaper a few weeks ago that Scoot is planning to fly to Europe. This speculation was fuelled by the fact that Scoot is looking at adding crew rests to upcoming 787 deliveries.

http://business.asiaone.com/news/scoot-mulls-having-crew-bunks-planes
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739/ER 742 743 744/M 752 753 762 772 77E 773 77W 788 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A35K A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E170 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 Q400 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85

AVFCdownunder

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:27 pm

It's a nice idea as I have found Scoot a really good product for the price.
The issue would be that if it where to utilise a 787 on SIN-LHR/FRA/CDG etc return, it would be away from SIN for over 24 hours. During that time it could have turned around 2-4 short/medium haul legs and probably raised a lot more revenue.

Someone83

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:33 pm

AFAIK Scoot has issued tenders to several European airports and are having talks with them

rutankrd

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:56 pm

Quoting AVFCdownunder (Reply 3):
The issue would be that if it where to utilise a 787 on SIN-LHR/FRA/CDG etc return, it would be away from SIN for over 24 hours. During that time it could have turned around 2-4 short/medium haul legs and probably raised a lot more revenue.

The hub triangle is NOT where Scoot fits for Singapore Airlines Group.

Much more likely to go head to head with the ME3 and supplant mainline op's at the likes of Manchester/Barcelona/Copenhagen and yet to start Dusseldorf imo.

LGAviation

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:19 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 5):

Much more likely to go head to head with the ME3 and supplant mainline op's at the likes of Manchester/Barcelona/Copenhagen and yet to start Dusseldorf imo.

I totally agree, I don't see any way in which they could beat the ME3 in fares and still stay profitable at LHR, CDG or FRA. Maybe, they instead could try to supplement SQ service in areas that could support a non-stop at yields lower than those that SQ requires. I'm thinking TXL, BRU and certainly DUB and some UK cities. I wonder if they would be able to offer a competitive Kangaroo route product and if that'd cannibalize the SQ product.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

Jetstar315

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:57 am

SQ has not being doing quite so well lately. I doubt that they would want to dilute their customer base by substituting Scoot for European services

ben175

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:28 am

I think Scoot could potentially explore new markets, but I think it would be stupid of them to operate on routes SQ currently flies.

It could be wise for TZ to take over ATH and potentially BCN from SQ, and perhaps TXL/PRG/OSL/ARN could work. LGW and ORY could be options too if they didn't cannibalize the mainline operations.

If Scoot gets really adventurous - I'd love to see routes like SIN-NCE or SIN-LIS. Very wishful thinking though, I know.

MHG

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:45 pm

I´d love to see them in CGN but I doubt it´ll happen as SQ might be afraid a bit being so close at FRA.
The fact that EW has it´s longhaul base at CGN should not be an issue as EW and TZ wouldn´t overlap with their routes.
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

LGAviation

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Quoting MHG (Reply 9):
I´d love to see them in CGN but I doubt it´ll happen as SQ might be afraid a bit being so close at FRA.

Isn't SQ starting DUS service?
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

Viscount724

Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:39 am

Quoting LGAviation (Reply 10):
Quoting MHG (Reply 9):

Isn't SQ starting DUS service?

Yes, effective July 21. Announced last November. 3 x week A350-900.
http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/...ess_release_news/ne2615-151109.jsp

fessor

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:14 am

I could see them open ARN or HEL maybe some eastern European destinations

qfvhoqa

Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:32 am

With TR being brought under the control of SIA Group there should be more connecting opportunities to TZ's long haul flights. TR's strong presence on leisure routes could mean that TZ sees opportunities at OSL/ARN. DY doesn't have anyone to connect to beyond BKK so TZ-TR would have an advantage.

Quoting AVFCdownunder (Reply 3):
During that time it could have turned around 2-4 short/medium haul legs and probably raised a lot more revenue.

TZ only operates short haul sectors to increase utilisation between long haul sectors. And I'm not so sure they're getting all that much revenue from their Australian flights when A$189 fares are easy to find.

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 5):

Agreed - especially with the Lufthansa Group JV, they wouldn't be happy seeing TZ at FRA.

Someone83

Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:43 am

Quoting qfvhoqa (Reply 13):
TR's strong presence on leisure routes could mean that TZ sees opportunities at OSL/ARN. DY doesn't have anyone to connect to beyond BKK so TZ-TR would have an advantage.

Not sure about ARN, but Scoot's configuration does not fit the marked out of OSL (and Norway) to SIN where there is a relative high demand for business class compared to economy class. In addition SAS and SQ has a JV out of Scandinavia, which is important for SQ's CPH-SIN route

huaiwei

Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:56 pm

Quoting ben175 (Reply 8):
I think Scoot could potentially explore new markets, but I think it would be stupid of them to operate on routes SQ currently flies.

It is not that simple. There are long-haul markets which can be served beyond the capacity provided by SQ mainline which Scoot can scoop up due to the different price points, which is why Scoot can certainly be flying to LON first. The market is big enough for both, and allows SQ to counter the EK/QF alliance.

Do note that even on its current network, Scoot is flying to more destinations already served by SQ without causing SQ to bleed. Out of its four destinations in Australia, just one is unique to Scoot, for example. And the airline is also flying to cities close to SQ cities, such as Tianjin (close to Beijing) and Hangzhou (close to Shanghai). There must be an obvious business case why the SQ group dares to allocate its group resources in such a manner.
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

MHG

Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:26 pm

Quoting LGAviation (Reply 10):

Sorry, missed out on that.
So, TZ in CGN is even less likely ...

I´d rather expect them to look at HAM in that case.
STR is out of question as it´s about half way between FRA and MUC (served by SQ already) and TXL without slots and SXF/BER not capable for the forseeable future.
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

qfvhoqa

Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:50 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 14):
Scoot's configuration does not fit the marked out of OSL (and Norway) to SIN where there is a relative high demand for business class compared to economy class

Currently there's no non-stop flight in this market so the demand for business class can't be that high. TZ has more J seats than DY, yet DY flies long haul from OSL. The configuration may not be an issue, but:

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 14):
In addition SAS and SQ has a JV out of Scandinavia, which is important for SQ's CPH-SIN route

This may well be an issue. If either the LH JV or the SK JV covers Norway, TZ probably won't fly there.

Quoting huaiwei (Reply 15):
There are long-haul markets which can be served beyond the capacity provided by SQ mainline which Scoot can scoop up due to the different price points

True, there can be room for a parent full-service carrier alongside it's LCC if there's strong leisure and premium demand. SYD-HNL seems to do okwith both JQ & QF, maybe TZ & SQ can co-exist on SIN-BCN (for example).

infinit

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:01 am

Quoting Jetstar315 (Reply 7):
SQ has not being doing quite so well lately. I doubt that they would want to dilute their customer base by substituting Scoot for European services
Quoting ben175 (Reply 8):

I think it is that SQ knows it is only a niche market that pays for level of service they offer and they dont want to dilute their brand so they will use scoot for secondary european destinations.
I doubt thy will put SQ and scoot on the same routes as that would definitely cannibalise SQ's loads.

On a secondary note, i heard Tiger as a brand is going to go soon. Scoot will be SQ's sole LCC

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos