Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BA

RE: EK Diversion DXB-SEA To YVR And Fuel Emergency

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:45 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 49):
I would assume that being so low on fuel, they didn't want to risk going back into the pattern and repeating the same outcome.

That makes sense. I guess my question is why did they miss the approach to begin with? If it was due to weather, then how come other flights into SEA didn't miss their approach?

Or did they miss the approach for a reason unrelated to weather, such as maybe an aircraft in front didn't clear the runway in time?

777's have been frequent visitors at SEA for many years. DL, AA, UA, BA, NH, OZ, and I'm sure plenty I'm forgetting. EK alone flies twice daily.
AA has never flown the 777 to SEA as far as I know unless they operated it when they had SEA-NRT, although I thought it was on MD-11s or 767s. UA stopped shortly before discontinuing SEA-NRT two years ago. At the end, the route was switched to a 787.

Also, KE flies 777s to SEA.

NH flew 777s to SEA when the 787s were grounded due to the overheating batteries.

[Edited 2016-03-16 16:52:12]
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Rhodylee

Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:00 am

Other flights around the same time were holding for awhile, waiting for the wind to die down a bit :

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/Q...8/history/20160313/1952Z/KLWS/KSEA

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...1/history/20160313/1729Z/KPHX/KSEA

BoeingGuy

Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:13 am

Quoting BA (Reply 50):
AA has never flown the 777 to SEA as far as I know unless they operated it when they had SEA-NRT, although I thought it was on MD-11s or 767s.

AA flew the 777 to SEA for at least 4-5 years for SEA-NRT until the route was pulled around January 2002. It was never a 767.

Quoting migair54 (Reply 42):
I don't think CYY can handle the B77W or even land safely there, runways are too short.

A 77W can easily land and takeoff on a 6998 foot runway, were it to be necessary. YXX has a 9,597 foot runway so ATC's offer to land there was reasonable too. If it had been a real dire emergency there are a lot of options around, as I stated including MWH, YKM, even Whidbey Island Naval Air Station, which I believe is more east/west runway orientation (McChord AFB is similar N/S orientation to SEA, BFI, and PAE AFAIK).

Quoting baw716 (Reply 40):

The winds reported at SEA just prior to his go around were 170-28G47 with a 20kt loss or gain on short final, which I am certain caused his GPWS to trigger the windshear alert and the subsequent go around.

If it were real windshear the WXR would have likely first triggered the Predictive Windshear Warning, which requires a go-around. The threshold for the EGPWS based Reactive Windshear warning is about a 20 knot drop in airspeed, like you state. If you get the Reactive Windshear warning, you are doing more than a missed approach. You are doing the Windshear Escape Maneauver. By the time you get the RWS alert, you are potentially already in trouble.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:05 am

Quoting BA (Reply 50):
That makes sense. I guess my question is why did they miss the approach to begin with? If it was due to weather, then how come other flights into SEA didn't miss their approach?

I thought they said that for weather related reasons that they did a missed approach at 1200', but can't remember now. Just one of those things.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

ER757

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:19 am

777's have been frequent visitors at SEA for many years. DL, AA, UA, BA, NH, OZ, and I'm sure plenty I'm forgetting.

BR and KE are also current operators of the type into SEA.

And Abbotsford seems not very good suited for the B77W also,

I think it would be OK there - the An225 used to come there for the air show and it's a heck of a lot bigger than a 777

Viscount724
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:49 am

Quoting 7BOEING7 (Reply 38):
Quoting amwest2united (Reply 4):
BFI is used as well, although if SEA is below visibility, most likely BFI is as well.

Actually there are many times that SEA is below visibility and BFI is not -- with a ceiling at BFI of about 500ft you're in the clouds at SEA. There are many days a year that BFI is clear and there's a fog bank over SEA.

Although BFI and SEA are only 5 nm apart, SEA elevation is over 400 ft. higher at 433 ft. above sea level compared to 21 ft. at BFI.

BoeingGuy

Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:21 am

And Abbotsford seems not very good suited for the B77W also, maybe in case of real emergency like a fire on board or something like that is ok, but not in this case, I'd have gone to VYR also.

Abbotsford as an almost 10,000 feet runway so no issues. I'm surprised it's closer to SEA than YVR. I guess it's not that far east. MWH seems about the same distance from SEA also.

Norcal773

Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:05 am

Quoting BA (Reply 45):

Why were other flights able to land in SEA and not divert? Or were they all in a holding pattern for an extended period of time while the EK flight couldn't hold due to coming close to fuel exhaustion?
Quoting flybynight (Reply 46):
Which is exactly why I wonder why they couldn't land when everyone else did. Was the pilot not comfortable? 777's aren't that common at SEA, but there should be at least a few landing everyday (BA and DL come to mind)

You guys didn't really read the whole thread, did you? There seems to have been a gust of wind at the time it was landing, the 777 and a CRJ shooting the approach around the same time missed the approach, as indicated earlier on the thread.
If you're going through hell, keep going

Viscount724
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:25 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 56):
Abbotsford as an almost 10,000 feet runway so no issues. I'm surprised it's closer to SEA than YVR. I guess it's not that far east

Abbotsford airport is almost due north of SEA and only about 1 mile north of the US border. YVR is further west and about 13 miles north of the border.

seabosdca

Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:54 am

Quoting BA (Reply 50):

The weather on Sunday afternoon was a complete mess, and changed very quickly a number of times over the course of the afternoon. The storm blew in a couple of hours before anyone was expecting it at the time EK left DXB. I wouldn't be surprised if EK showed up and shot the approach at the very worst moment.

migair54

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:33 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 56):
Abbotsford as an almost 10,000 feet runway so no issues. I'm surprised it's closer to SEA than YVR. I guess it's not that far east. MWH seems about the same distance from SEA also.

In case of real emergency it's OK, but seeing the jeppesen and all the restrictions on taxiway I'm not sure if it was a good idea to try there, anyway it's very few miles shorter only.

I think the main problem was not the steady crosswind but the gusting conditions, if you add that to the orographic it can create a very complicated situation, with strong winds, windshear, turbulence and that makes very difficult to be stable at 1000 feet to continue the approach. If you see the tracklog you'll see the shifting speeds just before going around.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos