Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Central American Aviation Thread. Part 64

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:20 am

THE CENTRAL AMERICAN AVIATION THREAD
PART LXIV

"TRIBUTE TO PAN AM IN CENTRAL AMERICA"

Hi, everyone ! The new edition of this series is up and running !
Pan American World Airways has a vast history within the Central American landscape, since the airline began operations here, more than eighty years ago.
Pan Am also contributed to the development of some regional airlines before.
The attachment displays a route map from 1938, where all the main Central American cities were connected. The schedule rather seems a subway map as the regional flight was routed as Guatemala City, San Salvador, Tegucigalpa, Managua, San José, David and Panama City.

We found in 1959, a total different history due to the introduction of more efficient airplanes. Thus, the region was linked to Miami, Los Angeles and New Orleans as shown.

Guatemala City worked as a mini-hub during the 60s and 70s for them, where their 707s and 747s were a common sight there, many years ago.
Pan Am ceased operations in 1991 and their regional routes were rapidly absorbed by United Airlines.

Edited on March 15, 2016.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

yellowtail

RE: Central American Aviation Thread. Part 64

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks for starting the new thread SJOtoLIR.

I am glad to see BA increasing SJO. Always a good sign.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

juanchito

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Yellowtail. Get your camera ready the China Airlines 747-400 is arriving today in BZE

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

juanchito

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:39 pm

Galaxy C5M in GUA

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1650/24975034303_c8a427b75e_b.jpgUSAF C5M Super Galaxy Dover 60025 by Juan Manuel Galvez, on Flickr

Galaxy C5A in GUA

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1692/25785100586_ff19d7eb44_b.jpgC5A AFRC 70-0456 by Juan Manuel Galvez, on Flickr

juanchito

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:44 pm

China Airlines 747-400 in GUA

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1714/25203586014_dbe954d8e8_b.jpgChina Airlines 747-400 by Juan Manuel Galvez, on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1639/25808040346_743bafc3c0_b.jpgChina Airlines 747-400 by Juan Manuel Galvez, on Flickr

2travel2know2

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:09 pm

I heard on the radio yesterday that Air Panama 7P is to fly between PAC Albrook and CTD Chitre.
It's the 1st time in a long time CTD would get back some commercial traffic.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:57 pm

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 1):
glad to see BA increasing SJO.

BA LGW-SJO will expand operational frequencies on this route from October 30th from 2x to 3x weekly.
BA LGW-SJO with 777 will be served from May 04th.

Regards.

yellowtail

Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:06 am

Quoting juanchito (Reply 2):
Yellowtail. Get your camera ready the China Airlines 747-400 is arriving today in BZE

There are some photos on 9Ns Facebook page.

viaggiare

Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:48 am

Talk of the SJO-based airline that Y4 plans to launch has regained momentum, as local business daily La República published a recent interview with the subsidiary's country manager (link in Spanish).

Here are some of the highlights (fair use excerpt): "Estamos pensando en ofrecer los tiquetes a la mitad del precio que ya se cobra dentro de la región. Apostaremos por ser los más baratos (...) Las rutas van a ser de punto a punto, van a unir casi todas las capitales centroamericanas (...) También tenemos planeado tener como base de operaciones Liberia (...) Todos [los aviones] van a ser con leasing de Volaris México, serán tres A320".

As some of you know, this guy is a long-time trusted point man for señor Kriete (one of the founding partners at Volaris) who oversaw local matters, operational and otherwise, for the now-defunct parrot cartel. From there he moved on to become general manager of the largest Costa Rican state-owned bank (where he was making US$387,600 per year) but later resigned amid criticism of high salaries and bonuses for bank executives. Three months later the man resurfaced in a senior role at Volaris de Costa Rica, tasked with expanding Volaris' route network into South America.

— Don Fernando, ¿por qué volver al mundo de las aerolíneas después de estar en el Banco Nacional?  — Porque es una apuesta segura, yo estoy muy contento, los ejecutivos y los dueños de Volaris pensaron en mí, me preguntaron y yo acepté, así de simple. Mire, yo estuve ocho años en Taca, y este mundo es lo que me apasiona. Fair use excerpt from his 5/26/15 interview with La República (link in Spanish).
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

viaggiare

Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:53 am

In other news, Air Costa Rica (the local start-up backed by 7P investors) has announced their first destination will be GUA (link in Spanish) scheduled for mid-year, then PAC and hopefully MIA by year's end. Airline executives had intended to begin operations late last year with flights to MGA and MIA adopting what they call an intermediate cost model.

viaggiare

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:47 pm

CM will serve CIX starting 28JUN.

viaggiare

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:54 pm

CM340 PTY1123 — 1416CIX E90 25
CM341 CIX1501 — 1737PTY E90 25

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:51 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 10):
CM will serve CIX starting 28JUN.

CM had their poorest records in Iquitos some time ago and now they're aiming to Chiclayo.
I don't understand that move as CM PTY-IQT was dropped in September 2015.

Regards.

viaggiare

Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:16 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 12):
I don't understand that move as CM PTY-IQT was dropped in September

It can only be understood, much like IQT, as a token concession to Peruvian DGAC/MTC in exchange for keeping the extra daily flight to LIM. Even so, TRU (Perú's third largest city and a three-hour drive across the coastal desert from Chiclayo) would have made more sense.

On a positive/hopeful note, although most tourists flock to distant Machu Picchu, northern Perú offers some of the finest and most important archeological sites in the Western Hemisphere. Give or take several obvious differences, El Señor de Sipán is Perú's equivalent to Egypt's King Tut.

[Edited 2016-03-19 08:15:07]

2travel2know2

Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:46 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 13):
Even so, TRU (Perú's third largest city and a three-hour drive across the coastal desert from Chiclayo) would have made more sense.

Most likely one of the reasons CIX makes CM network and not TRU is that 3 or so hours north of CIX is Piura another very big city in northern Peru.
CIX will get passengers from both Piura and Trujillo.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

viaggiare

Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:27 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 14):
Most likely one of the reasons CIX makes CM network and not TRU is that 3 or so hours north of CIX is Piura

You are correct in that both TRU and PIU are approximately equidistant from Peru's fourth-largest city. That's two million people within a three-hour drive!

NK entertained the notion of flying there nine years ago, but (a) was new to Latin America back then (SJO had been recently added to the network), and (b) considered CIX a bit of a gamble (despite there being some 20K Peruvians residing in FLL's immediate catchment area at the time). LIM was ultimately considered to be a safer bet.

viaggiare

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:43 pm

The 733 shown below, formerly with Italian charter airline Mistral Air, is the newest addition to Air Costa Rica's fleet, bearing a new registration HP-1923PST as she landed at SJO, her new home base, yesterday afternoon.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Helmut Schnichels
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © SierraAlpha

In other news, Albatros Airlines (G2) will be flying CCS-SJO nonstop 3x weekly starting 02MAY. Technically, at least for now, these are considered charter flights, given the nature of their business model.

[Edited 2016-03-24 15:04:58]

viaggiare

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:05 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 13):
northern Perú offers some of the finest and most important archeological sites in the Western Hemisphere

Costa Rican president Solís, who is vacationing in Perú, toured the archaeological site at Chan Chan near TRU yesterday, and was reportedly quite impressed by what he saw there.

"No tenía idea de la magnificencia de estos conjuntos, a los cuales conocía solo por referencia bibliográfica. Me siento muy impactado por los niveles de complejidad de estas construcciones."

LTU932

Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:32 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 16):
The 733 shown below, formerly with Italian charter airline Mistral Air, is the newest addition to Air Costa Rica's fleet, bearing a new registration HP-1923PST as she landed at SJO, her new home base, yesterday afternoon.

Why no TI-registration? I mean, unless they're going a route like TA and LR, and nowadays even AV do, who use almost exclusively US registrations, why is the aircraft registered in Panama?

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 17):
Costa Rican president Solís, who is vacationing in Perú, toured the archaeological site at Chan Chan near TRU yesterday, and was reportedly quite impressed by what he saw there.

While that's all great and I want to visit Peru one day, instead of posting selfies of himself on vacation, LGS should focus on what the country needs for the remaining 2 years of his term, and it must NOT be focussed on raising taxes while not cutting unnecessary expenses.

My apologies on the rant. Even though I currently reside in Germany, I still care about what's going on in CR. As for why I got the Costa Rican flag in my profile again, I'll be revealing that shortly.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

DesertAir

Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Thread starter):
Pan Am ceased operations in 1991 and their regional routes were rapidly absorbed by United Airlines.

I had the good fortune to fly on PA to Guatemala in December of 1990 on an A-300. It was a night flight from LAX. I took a PA 727 flight from SFO to LAX. The SFO flight was to continue onto to MIA.

viaggiare

Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:30 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 18):
Why no TI-registration? I mean, unless they're going a route like TA and LR, and nowadays even AV do, who use almost exclusively US registrations, why is the aircraft registered in Panama?

The use of foreign-registered aircraft pursuant to the Convention on International Civil Aviation (aka the Chicago Convention, 1944) allows them to avoid paying local taxes on aircraft ownership and transfer, which are higher than those in Panamá and elsewhere in CentAm.

and it must NOT be focussed on raising taxes while not cutting unnecessary expenses

In the words of a local politician ideologically akin to the Unionsparteien, sería contraproducente (un placebo) para el país poner en práctica proyectos tributarios sin antes controlar los gastos.

LTU932

Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:29 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 20):
The use of foreign-registered aircraft pursuant to the Convention on International Civil Aviation (aka the Chicago Convention, 1944) allows them to avoid paying local taxes on aircraft ownership and transfer, which are higher than those in Panamá and elsewhere in CentAm.

I see, so it's all about the taxes, similar to what Russian airlines do with Western aircraft due to the exorbitant import taxes in Russia. Never thought CR was THAT expensive, and I'm not talking about the high cost of living, of which I'm aware of.

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 20):
In the words of a local politician ideologically akin to the Unionsparteien, sería contraproducente (un placebo) para el país poner en práctica proyectos tributarios sin antes controlar los gastos.

Indeed, but that's what LGS refuses to realise. I'm definitely not voting PAC in 2018. I will vote, live and on location, but not PAC.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

viaggiare

Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:49 pm

AV was recently dealt another blow by Colombia's Constitutional Court, as it denied a motion for clarification of last year's sentence ordering the airline to pay its workers an estimated US$2M for discrimination against union members by offering a non-union pay and benefit plan.

In its 2015 ruling, the Court stated AV’s plan voluntario de beneficios (which offers non-union members guaranteed salary increases, seniority premiums, and maternity and life insurance benefits, etc) had the "innegable propósito de discriminar a los/as trabajadores/as sindicalizados para desalentar la afiliación sindical, así como fomentar la renuncia de su membresía" (the undeniable purpose of discriminating against union workers by actively discouraging union membership or discriminating against union members), and ordered that all workers must be able to access the benefits of the plan.

AV unions (Asociación Colombiana de Auxiliares de Vuelo, Asociación Colombiana de Aviadores Civiles, and Sindicato Nacional de Trabajadores de Avianca) claim airline representatives verbally instruct new employees to sign on to the plan before they are permitted to sign employment contracts.

Fact is, companies in Colombia go to extraordinary lengths to persecute those who are brave enough to try and form/join a union, so it was important that the Court confirmed the right of AV employees to protection of their freedom of association and equal rights. Sadly, allegations of unfair labor practices against AV/TA are neither new, nor limited to Colombia.

Avianca: Irregularidades en aire y tierra (link in Spanish)

Exempleados de Avianca denuncian acoso laboral y despidos injustificados (link in Spanish)

[Edited 2016-03-27 17:07:40]

ua900

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:02 am

Even though I currently reside in Germany, I still care about what's going on in CR. As for why I got the Costa Rican flag in my profile again, I'll be revealing that shortly.

Where you're from shouldn't change much, should it?  
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

LTU932

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:56 am

Quoting ua900 (Reply 23):
Where you're from shouldn't change much, should it?

The current flag does reflect where I was born.  

viaggiare

Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:48 am

VU plans to start nonstop SAL-MGA service in the coming weeks.

viaggiare

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:26 am

Honduras is said to be one step away from building its new joint-use airport at XPL (85km northwest of Tegucigalpa on the highway to San Pedro Sula).

The project includes a 120K square foot passenger terminal and is expected to cost US$163M (20% more than the previous estimate just five months ago).

juanchito

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:30 pm

Good for them, the only problem I see, is that the airport will be so far from Tegucigalpa.

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 26):
Honduras is said to be one step away from building its new joint-use airport at XPL (85km northwest of Tegucigalpa on the highway to San Pedro Sula).

The project includes a 120K square foot passenger terminal and is expected to cost US$163M (20% more than the previous estimate just five months ago).

skybird77

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:53 pm

Quoting juanchito (Reply 27):

I hope the plans include the widening of "La Carretera del Norte". Anyways, I've been hearing plans for a new airport since 1970, so I'm always a little skeptical.

ua900

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Any news on when exactly Veca will start MGA service and where they're going? Last time I was at SAL I stopped by their area. They seemed enthusiastic enough but seem to have run out of steam at this point. Kind of reminds me of Supermercado Alba, lots of fanfare, but no huge expansion after the initial modest launch.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 24):
The current flag does reflect where I was born.

So does mine, and that never changes no matter where I live  
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

viaggiare

Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:21 am

Quoting ua900 (Reply 29):
when exactly Veca will start MGA service and where they're going?

No exact date given, but probably later this month. The initial routing could evolve into SAL-MGA-SJO.

viaggiare

Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:50 am

AV plans to defer aircraft deliveries (link in Spanish) due to mounting debt and operating losses. Fair use excerpt:

Efromovich estaría tomando ya medidas para afrontar las dificultades financieras por las cuales estaría pasando la aerolínea, principalmente por el endeudamiento que presenta la compañía y por una operación en declive.

viaggiare

Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:28 pm

Earlier this morning before sunrise a truck going east on Autopista General Cañas impacted and tore down part (about 50m) of the perimeter fence surrounding SJO.

avi8

Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:58 pm

I did not know they were struggling:

AV seems to be kind of stuck in Central America in my opinion. It's unfortunate they dehubbed SJO and eliminated MIA (to 3x week and MEX from GUA.
avi8

LTU932

Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:37 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 32):
Earlier this morning before sunrise a truck going east on Autopista General Cañas impacted and tore down part (about 50m) of the perimeter fence surrounding SJO.

Didn't something similar happen a few years ago?

Quoting avi8 (Reply 33):
I did not know they were struggling:

Me neither. I thought, despite the sudden SJO dehubbing (which certainly must have cost a lot of money, especially if legal action is ongoing against them by affected passengers and/or the staff that may have been laid off for this) and the acquisition of TA, that AV was financially solid, at least in a neutral kind of way.

yellowtail

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:44 am

If there was any doubt as to end of the Southwest effect, BZE has put that to bed.
Arrivals at BZE are up 26%, 18%, 11% for Jan, Feb, and March respectively.
Nov and December were 17 and 18% respectively.

WN service started Oct 15.

viaggiare

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:44 am

The first of two COOPESA hangars, with room for six narrowbodies, should be operational sometime early 2019 (provided construction resumes soon), which means they should start moving out of the current structure (and make room for additional SJO expansion) in late 2018.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 34):
Didn't something similar happen a few years ago?

Happens all the time. It's a road infrastructure issue. All intersections in that area need to be grade-separated.

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 35):
Arrivals at BZE are up

And fares are going in the opposite direction by how much?

belizexp

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:26 pm

Any news on that new airport in Belize that was plan for more International flights to and from Europe and etc.
Belize my home sweet home...

yellowtail

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:38 pm

Quoting belizexp (Reply 37):
Any news on that new airport in Belize that was plan for more International flights to and from Europe and etc.

Thanks for making my day with a good joke.

viaggiare

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:08 am

Albatros Airlines ticket sales for the new CCS-SJO nonstop begin exactly one week from today.

avi8

Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:36 pm

Does anyone know why Copa is retiring the E190 (according to wikipedia, not sure if it is true)? Are they not going to have smaller gauge aircraft to maintain frequency to Colombia and Central America?
avi8

viaggiare

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:15 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 40):
why Copa is retiring the E190 (according to wikipedia, not sure if it is true)

CM is gradually replacing its 73Gs with 738s and has orders for the 737MAX8/9 series.

AV already grounded 1/3 of its E90s and will be phasing out the rest this year.

viaggiare

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:29 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 40):
have smaller gauge aircraft to maintain frequency to Colombia and Central America?

CM has seen its net income and margins fall. This means that, aside from hunkering down and redeploying capacity, we should expect to see them up-gauge more routes from E90s to 738s.

Some of the aircraft they used on flights to CNF, BSB, POA, GRU and VCP are grounded (Brazil and Costa Rica are now tied for 4th place if you consider the airline's seat deployment by country), others were set aside for experiments in MSY, BZE and CIX. They've also chosen not to renew expiring contracts and to sublease some aircraft (five leases were not renewed last year and two aircraft were subleased to UA).

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:19 am

Quoting avi8 (Reply 40):
Does anyone know why Copa is retiring the E190 (according to wikipedia, not sure if it is true)?

Copa Airlines took delivery of their brand new E90s from 2005 to 2009.
It seems that the average use of these frames will be around 10 years or even less.

Regards.

viaggiare

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:36 am

The Nicaraguan government has resumed negotiations for a US$250M–US$300M loan, as part of a bilateral agreement with Russia (link in Spanish) to acquire several (possibly up to five) SU1s for a new flag carrier, and pay for runway and terminal improvements at MGA.

viaggiare

Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:09 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 15):
some 20K Peruvians residing in FLL's immediate catchment area at the time

Fast forward to 2016 and that community has grown significantly. According to Perú's Consul-General in Miami en el sur de la Florida se registran unos 45,000 peruanos habilitados para votar (that's just registered voters residing within the Consulate's jurisdiction).

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:50 am

Copa Airlines starting May 01st continues to expand code-share partnership with GOL.

Domestic routes operated by G3 and bearing the CM designator soon:
Brasilia - Belem
Brasilia - Campo Grande
Brasilia - Cuiaba
Brasilia - Goiania
Manaus - Belem
Porto Alegre - Curitiba
Sao Paulo Guarulhos - Campo Grande
Sao Paulo Guarulhos - Fortaleza
Sao Paulo Guarulhos - Uberlandia
Sao Paulo Guarulhos - Vitoria

Regards.

LTU932

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Why GRU and not CGH?

viaggiare

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:52 pm

Recap of new routes to/from Costa Rica..

WN LAX-LIR-LAX 73G (1x daily) started yesterday 4/12
BA LGW-SJO-LGW 772 (2x weekly) starts 4/27
G2 CCS-SJO-CCS 735 (3x weekly) starts 5/2

yellowtail

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:13 pm

Doesn't BA go to 3xsjo?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos