Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ordell
Topic Author

All-female Air Crew Flies Into Saudi Arabia

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:34 pm

Where women can't even drive. Irony: they are from Brunei, which is not exactly a progressive nation to begin with.

http://www.newsweek.com/brunei-airli...ale-crew-flies-saudi-arabia-437313

Royal Brunei Airlines’ first ever all-female aircraft crew must have felt as if they were flying back in time during their maiden voyage.

The women flew from Brunei to Jeddah, the second city of Saudi Arabia, the only country in the world where women are prohibited from driving.

The flight took place on February 23 to mark Brunei’s National Day, which celebrates the tiny southeast Asian country’s independence from the U.K. in 1984. It was operated by Captain Sharifah Czarena and Senior First Officers Dk Nadiah Pg Khashiem and Sariana Nordin.

Brunei crew

kaitak

RE: All-female Air Crew Flies Into Saudi Arabia

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:37 pm

I can't help thinking that the Saudis must have been pretty embarrassed about this! I wonder if a private protest was made. The publicity this got, across many media outlets around the world, cannot have gone unnoticed.

Good for RBA though!

zeke

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:39 pm

CX has had all female crews in there as well.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

migair54

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:43 pm

I am sure Royal Brunei had a friendly letter from the Saudi Arabia government about this, and it will never happen again.

By the way, is there any female pilot in SV or any other airline in SA??

Quoting ordell (Thread starter):
Where women can't even drive. Irony: they are from Brunei, which is not exactly a progressive nation to begin with.

Unless you compare with the destination of the flight, then Brunei is the most liberal country in the world.  

N867DA

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:44 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 1):
Good for RBA though!

I wonder if the Saudis see being selected for this 'honor' to be an act of contempt toward their policies. Riyadh cannot decline because it would make news: "Oppressive country refuses to allow all-women flight to land". And if they permit it, then the headline is, "Crew of historic all-women flight cannot legally drive in destination country".
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

HiJazzey

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:47 pm

I can't help thinking that the Saudis must have been pretty embarrassed about this! I wonder if a private protest was made. The publicity this got, across many media outlets around the world, cannot have gone unnoticed.

Female crews flying into JED isn't that out of ordinary.
Royal Brunei media department trying too hard to make a "historic event" out of a non-story.

kaitak

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Quoting N867DA (Reply 4):
I wonder if the Saudis see being selected for this 'honor' to be an act of contempt toward their policies. Riyadh cannot decline because it would make news: "Oppressive country refuses to allow all-women flight to land". And if they permit it, then the headline is, "Crew of historic all-women flight cannot legally drive in destination country".

Oh, I don't think they would miss that; all-female crew from a Muslim country (hijabs and all), on International Women's Day ... bet the very fact that it was International Women's Day didn't get much publicity in Saudi, let alone the RBA flight.

sw733

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:57 pm

Quoting HiJazzey (Reply 5):
Royal Brunei media department trying too hard to make a "historic event" out of a non-story.

Is that not the point of any media/marketing department? Seems like they did a really good job at it.

LGAviation

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:58 pm

Good for RBA though!

Relax it's cool! Flying an aeroplane certainly isn't as dangerous or complicated as operating a car so there shouldn't be an issue for them to let women fly it.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

MrHMSH

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:03 pm

It's a bit rich coming from Brunei though, as much as this represents some progress some of their laws are still very harsh on women.

Quoting HiJazzey (Reply 5):

It's a big event for a government-owned company of a fairly strict and oppressive nation to do this, to be fair.

Heavierthanair

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:04 pm

G'day

From the looks of those ceiling panels on this 787 about to fall off it appears they had a rough landing. Or maybe this is one of those terrible teens with Homedepot hardware where bit and pieces do not quite fit?

Cheers

Peter
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein, 1879 - 1955)

jetblastdubai

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:06 pm

It sounds like thunder but the way this year is going, it could be Godzilla!

ordell
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:07 pm

You know that's the first time I've seen the cockpit of a 787 and I'm amazed at how spare the overhead panel is compared to others. The whole cockpit looks more like the interior of a Tesla than an airplane.

HiJazzey

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:09 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 7):
Is that not the point of any media/marketing department? Seems like they did a really good job at it.

That's true and fair play to them. But it is sad how people bought it.

9w748capt

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:17 pm

Ironic on so many levels. Didn't Brunei recently also adopt sharia law? Did the crew have male relatives onboard with them? Isn't it illegal for Saudi women to do anything without the express permission of their closest male relative? Were they allowed through immigration by themselves?

SCQ83

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:35 pm

Undoubtedly this has been made in agreement with the Saudi authorities.

I don't even think Royal Brunei flying to JED is by chance. Brunei is a non-controversial (for Saudi mindset), conservative (Sharia law applies there) country (it is not like Emirates based in "vicious" Dubai). JED is the gateway to Makkah, Islam's holiest site.

It is probably another stint to convince Saudis about women driving. Saudi Arabia is not only its government, but it is also its people which (as dumb as I might look for a non-Saudi perspective) is not used to women driving. Changing people's minds takes time... I mean 50 years ago in the US or Europe women couldn't do many things alone, and 20 years ago gay people couldn't marry in any country in the world... as weird as those things seem from a Western perspective in 2016. It took a lot of education and "get used to it" that people in Western societies see those things normal.

DIJKKIJK

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:48 pm

Quoting Heavierthanair (Reply 10):
From the looks of those ceiling panels on this 787 about to fall off it appears they had a rough landing. Or maybe this is one of those terrible teens with Homedepot hardware where bit and pieces do not quite fit?

Charleston assembled bird perhaps ?

Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

guyanam

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 15):

People are still getting used to same gender marriage. Don't let their PC denials of this fool you. There are many parts of even NYC where same gender couples dare not publicly embrace.

Viscount724

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:11 pm

On a related subject, all-female LX A333 flight GVA-JFK on March 8 to commemorate International Women's Day.

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12814247_10153310799665723_5693126111059221722_n.jpg?oh=11e18943dc832a1625c2f38f537b28b3&oe=578D2DD2

nikeherc

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:54 pm

Quoting DIJKKIJK (Reply 16):
Charleston assembled bird perhaps ?

Per the All Things 787 blog and its tables, RBA has 4 787s so far and all of them were assembled in Everett. I don't understand the propensity to cast aspersions on the quality of work done in Charleston. As a resident of the State of South Carolina, I am extremely proud that Boeing chose to locate their only non-Washington State, commercial airplane, final assembly plant in Charleston. I am equally proud of the quality and quantity of the work done there. Do some research before you make such asinine comments.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

coolian2

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:58 pm

Quoting HiJazzey (Reply 13):
That's true and fair play to them. But it is sad how people bought it.

It's kinda sad. In a way that this stunt would be HILARIOUS if not for the fact that it highlighted issues that are sad.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

lightsaber

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:02 pm

Interesting.. Sad this is an event...

Crew of historic all-women flight cannot legally drive in destination country"

Lol. Yea... No win for Saudi.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

NWAROOSTER

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:13 pm

The women flew from Brunei to Jeddah, the second city of Saudi Arabia, the only country in the world where women are prohibited from driving.
Quoting sw733 (Reply 7):

It makes my day. Women are just as capable as men flying aircraft and also driving cars.
Maybe it is time Saudi Arabia graduates to the 21st century.   
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

slider

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:16 pm

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 14):
Ironic on so many levels. Didn't Brunei recently also adopt sharia law? Did the crew have male relatives onboard with them? Isn't it illegal for Saudi women to do anything without the express permission of their closest male relative? Were they allowed through immigration by themselves?

Yeah, this whole thing is a PR stunt, almost shameless in its transparency.

I'm happy for the ladies, but they're also being used as props in this.

jacobin777

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:23 pm

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 14):
Did the crew have male relatives onboard with them?

Are you being purposefully making dumb comments or do you actually believe in what you are saying?

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 21):
Interesting.. Sad this is an event...

Why a sad event? It should be a happy event. An all-female crew flying the 787. We really don't see that happening with any carrier. Has BA, UA or even AA ever had an all-female crew flying the B787?
"Up the Irons!"

tortugamon

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:29 pm

I can't help thinking that the Saudis must have been pretty embarrassed about this!

I think that if they were embarrassed then the law would have changed by now...Unfortunately its a pretty backward place.

Hoping more events like this bring about change. I was very happy to read this a couple days ago.

tortugamon

9w748capt

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Quoting jacobin777 (Reply 24):

Are you being purposefully making dumb comments or do you actually believe in what you are saying?

Dumb comments? Perhaps you should educate yourself on the reality of life for Saudi women. Here's a good place to start: http://www.theweek.co.uk/60339/eleve...ings-women-in-saudi-arabia-cant-do

ordell
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:49 am

I have a question: why is there a third pilot? I'd expect a second pair of pilots as relief crew, not just one.

NWAROOSTER

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:11 am

Quoting ordell (Reply 27):
have a question: why is there a third pilot? I'd expect a second pair of pilots as relief crew, not just one.

They carry two Captains and one First Officer on long flights so as one pilot at a time may have the required rest period. There has to be two Captains as there always must be a Captain in the left seat. Two Captains can occupy both seats but the First Officer can only occupy the right seat except in an emergency when the Captain is incapacitated when flying an aircraft that only has a two man flight crew.   

Viscount724

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:31 am

I have a question: why is there a third pilot? I'd expect a second pair of pilots as relief crew, not just one.

I believe most airlines only use one relief pilot on flights less than around 12 hours and a complete double crew on longer flights. BWN-JED is about 10.5 hrs westbound and 9.5 hrs eastbound.

mcoatc

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:43 am

Quoting NWAROOSTER (Reply 28):
There has to be two Captains as there always must be a Captain in the left seat. Two Captains can occupy both seats but the First Officer can only occupy the right seat except in an emergency when the Captain is incapacitated when flying an aircraft that only has a two man flight crew.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's completely incorrect - if for no other reason than if you had simply read the OP, you'd see that there is only one captain and two FOs in the picture.

I am not aware of any such "captain in the left seat" rule, but someone can correct me.

It's all about the flight block time. The more hours, the more crew members required. I believe, and don't hold me this, usually flights 8-12 hours require a 3rd pilot, and over 12hrs requires a 4th.....but I may be off.

RyanairGuru

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:13 am

They carry two Captains and one First Officer on long flights so as one pilot at a time may have the required rest period. There has to be two Captains as there always must be a Captain in the left seat. Two Captains can occupy both seats but the First Officer can only occupy the right seat except in an emergency when the Captain is incapacitated when flying an aircraft that only has a two man flight crew.

Which would be great information if it wasn't completely wrong  

I'm sure that someone will be able to correct me, but I can't think of a single airline that requires a captain to be sitting at the controls at all times and will regularly schedule two captains to a flight.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

NWAROOSTER

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:33 am

Quoting mcoatc (Reply 30):

There has to be two Captains as there always must be a Captain in the left seat. Two Captains can occupy both seats but the First Officer can only occupy the right seat except in an emergency when the Captain is incapacitated when flying an aircraft that only has a two man flight crew.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's completely incorrect - if for no other reason than if you had simply read the OP, you'd see that there is only one captain and two FOs in the picture.

I am not aware of any such "captain in the left seat" rule, but someone can correct me.

I found this under an old Airliners.net posting, "How Many Crews On Ultra Long Flights" which help substantiate my statements, which are shown below and in my original posting that you quoted.

"Up to 8 hours long flight time, 2 pilots are sufficient. Captain + first officer.
From 8 to 12 hours, 3 pilots, of which 2 captains + 1 first officer.
In excess of 12 hours, 4 pilots, of which 2 captains + 2 first officers.
xxx
In the case of the 3 pilot crew, 2 captains are required, because there must be at least a qualified captain on duty in the flight deck, no matter who takes a rest period. Oftentimes, the second captain, is a senior first officer who does hold captain licence and qualifications. Various airlines have different names or rank titles for them. The above are the US FAA flight time limits, some other countries may have slightly different limits."

I know for a fact that when I worked for Northwest Airlines that the above was the rule. Also at the time the tiller for controlling the nose wheel on the ground was to the left of the Captain's seat. There was no tiller on the first officer's side. Now with more modern and electronic aircraft the nose wheel may be possibly controlled from either seat in the cockpit. I also read that Delta may have had looser rules and it is possible that some non USA airlines may also have rules that do not require Two Captains in a flight crew that requires thee or more pilots. In my 37 years with Northwest Airlines it was a no nonsense airline that emphasized safety even though after about 1989 when Alfred Chechi and his robber barons did their best to bleed the airline into bankruptcy this was continued in part due to the pilot's contract.   

jacobin777

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:37 am

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 26):
Dumb comments? Perhaps you should educate yourself on the reality of life for Saudi women

...and these aren't Saudi women.
"Up the Irons!"

SkyWest700

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:38 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 31):

He's old Northwest, they had that rule. In fact DL still has that rule on double augmented flights.

At United we operated 1CA 2FOs on flights under 12hrs. 1CA 3FOS on flights from 12-16 and 2CAs 2FOs on flights over 16 and that's contractual.

tjcab

Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:18 am

is this an aviation forum or what? can we just celebrate this event without generating conspiracy theories?

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:26 am

Irony: they are from Brunei, which is not exactly a progressive nation to begin with.

Why are they not progressive, because they adapted a form of Sharia law? Given that they have female pilots & can field an all female crew I would say they are progressive enough.

As for the flight - I don't think they went out of their way to embarass Saudi Arabia by arranging an all female crew to fly there. What beef do the Bruneians have with the Arabs?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

rajrs

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:14 am

Why a sad event? It should be a happy event. An all-female crew flying the 787. We really don't see that happening with any carrier. Has BA, UA or even AA ever had an all-female crew flying the B787?

Air India operated All-Women Crew Flight on Women’s Day. DEL-SFO.

http://www.india.com/lifestyle/air-i...crew-flight-on-womens-day-1017407/

As per article it is world record for longest flight operated by all women crew.

AVFCdownunder

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:20 am

I was in Brunei before Christmas and found it quite progressive, whilst upholding many traditional values. It would seem it is possible to balance both (maybe not that easily though). An all-female crew piloting a 787 whilst wearing a hijab is probably indicative of this outlook.

Unflug

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:28 am

Why a sad event? It should be a happy event. An all-female crew flying the 787

He didn't say it was a sad event. He said the fact that this is an event at all is sad. It shouldn't be an event, it should be normal.

CARST

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:30 am

We really don't see that happening with any carrier. Has BA, UA or even AA ever had an all-female crew flying the B787?

Not really 787, but AFAIK thew LH Group operated ALL flights into New York on Womens' Day with all-female cockpit-crews. Google should find the press release...

Except Austrian, they had to used mixed crews; but at least they had women on all flightdecks. And they said they in the progress of bringing more female-pilots to the widebody-fleet.

bennett123

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:58 am

It is not that long ago that a female captain was a big deal as well.

hilram

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:42 am

Quoting jacobin777 (Reply 34):
...and these aren't Saudi women.

Of course not. Saudi women are not allowed to even work as FA´s for Saudia! All female crew on Saudi airlines comes from other countries in the ME, or from Sout-East Asia. Saudi Arabia is the one country in the world that can make Iran seem "progressive".
Flown on: A319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343 | B732, 734, 735, 736, 73G, 738, 743, 744, 772, 77W | CRJ9 | BAe-146 | DHC-6, 7, 8 | F50 | E195 | MD DC-9 41, MD-82, MD-87

scbriml

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:17 am

Quoting NWAROOSTER (Reply 22):
Maybe it is time Saudi Arabia graduates to the 21st century.

Baby steps - let's get them into the 19th Century first!

Why a sad event? It should be a happy event.

He meant it's sad that an all-female crew flying to Saudi Arabia is "an event", whereas it should be anything but (i.e. normal).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Skyeurope

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:52 am

Quoting hilram (Reply 43):
Saudi Arabia is the one country in the world that can make Iran seem "progressive".

Ever been to Iran?

tjcab

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:03 pm

Quoting Unflug (Reply 39):
He didn't say it was a sad event. He said the fact that this is an event at all is sad. It shouldn't be an event, it should be normal.

But reality is that it isn't. So yes, it's an event.

nikeherc

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:04 pm

Air South which had a brief run in the 1990s had a number of female pilots. I was on a flight from CAE to PIE with an all female flight crew during that time.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

shankly

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:35 pm

The day when this does not make the news is the day we should all be aiming for

In the meantime, well done to all involved for working to breakdown gender barriers
L1011 - P F M

offloaded

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:38 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 15):

The current king of SA (Salman) even though he's in his 80s is actually quite progressive.

Saudi kings aren't necessarily the first son, but are actually elected by the other royals as the best man for the job. Bare in mind that Saudi Arabia wouldn't exist as a nation had it not been for the support of the ultra religious Wahabis, so change does come very slowly in Saudi.

And, contrary to what is being suggested in this thread, all female flight crews are still quite rare, even in the forward thinking and progressive west. BA has 3,500 pilots, of which 200 are women. Globally 4,000 of around 130,000.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

winginit

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 7):

Agreed. Whether this was too much or otherwise in the opinions of some, this story has received a tremendous amount of attention even (and especially) among my non-aviation informed friends on social media. Like it or not it's been a success.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos