Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ac888yow
Topic Author

"Glitch" In Trusted Traveler Program?

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:07 pm

I am a member of the Nexus Trusted Traveler Program, which lets me use Global Entry kiosks when entering the USA, Nexus kiosks when entering Canada, and also gives me access to TSA Precheck security lanes at airports in the USA.

I have my Trusted Traveler Number stored in my frequent flyer program profile, so it automatically gets considered when I make flight bookings. When I check-in for my flights that originate in the USA, the "TSA Pre" symbol automatically shows up on my boarding passes.

With that background information out of the way, here's the "glitch" I'm wondering about...

I recently booked a reward flight for some others and used my frequent flyer profile/points. I was not a ticketed passenger; only they were. They are not members of any Trusted Traveler Program. When the day came for their travel, I proceeded to check them in online, and upon obtaining their boarding passes I noticed that they both had received the "TSA Pre" clearance.

So I can't help but wonder if this is a "glitch" in the system, or if by design they were beneficiaries of my "trusted" status when I booked their travel for them. The benefits of "TSA Pre", for those unaware, are relaxed security screening measures (e.g. no shoe removal, no full body scan, no laptop removal, etc.).

Has anyone else noticed this or experienced a similar phenomenon?

[Edited 2016-03-18 12:12:13]

[Edited 2016-03-18 12:12:31]

HNL

RE: "Glitch" In Trusted Traveler Program?

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:56 pm

TSA Regularly hands out Pre-Check on a per trip basis to passengers.
HNL - There's no place like it!

Sightseer

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:07 pm

Ordinary flyers can get Pre-Check. I am not in Global Entry or any of the other programs but have gotten Pre-Check on two of my last three trips.

OB1504

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:59 pm

This is not a glitch and has nothing to do with the trusted traveler status of the person who created the reservation. The Department of Homeland Security will randomly give Pre✓ to passengers who have not enrolled. I have no idea what the criteria are but it's being done on purpose.

ac888yow
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks for the responses. I had no idea that TSA handed out pre-check in this manner. I guess my software background is rearing it's head here; I though maybe there was some association being formed with the last name, or something like that. This recent story, although not about trusted traveler per se, also got me thinking along those lines ... http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...d-adam-ahmed-no-fly-list-1.3475934

Boeing744

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:42 pm

I also have Nexus, and while I normally get Pre-check, there was one time that I inexplicably did not get it with AA.

Also, I flew CDG-ORD-YUL a few weeks ago, with the first leg operated by UA and the second by AC. When I checked in with UA I received both boarding cards but the AC card did not include pre-check. I attended the desk in Chicago to try again, and when the card was re-issued (by AC directly) it did have pre-check. I am wondering if pre-check doesn't work when you check in via interline. Both AC and UA had my Nexus number.

kgaiflyer

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:47 pm

It works the other way too.

The computers randomly give the SSS signal to Pre-check passengers for no apparent reason (for whatever reason, it only happens to me in Las Vegas). If you want a trouble-free future, then go along with it and don't argue.

OB1504

Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:53 am

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 5):
also have Nexus, and while I normally get Pre-check, there was one time that I inexplicably did not get it with AA.

Even for trusted travelers, Pre✓ is never 100% guaranteed and passengers are subject to being randomly selected for the full screening.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos