Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lesfalls
Topic Author

Air Serbia To Start Flights To Ohrid

Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:55 pm

Air Serbia will start it's first domestic route : BEG-OHD and it will be flown 3x weekly. Your thoughts on this?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

IFlyTWA

RE: Air Serbia To Start Flights To Ohrid

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:50 pm

How is BEG - OHD domestic?

Otherwise good to see another flight into Ohrid.
"To express the excitement of travel" - Eero Saarinen

eielef

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:58 pm

OHD is an airport in Macedonia. Is not a domestic route. It was a standard summer route just three years ago.
This is the schedule (15JUN to 14SEP)
JU168 BEG1235 – 1405OHD AT7 15
JU168 BEG1325 – 1455OHD AT7 3

JU169 OHD1435 – 1600BEG AT7 15
JU169 OHD1525 – 1650BEG AT7 3

There are no domestic flights in Serbia, although having a second airport, Niš (INI/LYNI), which has some very few flights from Wizzair to Sweden (MMX) and Switzerland (BSL) but not to Serbia. It could be a destination (potentially speaking) for Adria or Croatian, but i doubt it.
It was a standard destination for Montenegro Airlines (YM) until 2012, with a daily flight to TGD, which allowed fast connections to DME. In those days, the flight was on a Fokker 100.

SCQ83

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:24 pm

Traffic from Western Europe to Macedonia is booming. Is the government giving incentives to carriers?

Wizzair at SKP has put Macedonia for a few euros from many European airports. As for Ohrid, Arkia is also starting flights from TLV and Thomas Cook from BRU.

I suspect Ohrid has to do with the situation in Turkey, Egypt and so on... European and Israeli carriers are getting "creative" to accommodate their customers (holidaymakers) this summer.

Anyway it is good that such a poor country gets more tourists and more Western influence.

[Edited 2016-03-19 10:24:33]

OA260

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:12 pm

Quoting Lesfalls (Thread starter):
first domestic route : BEG-OHD

It would have been a Domestic flight under the old Yugoslavia but these days its an International route since they all split up. Many Serbs have links there and of course is a popular holiday destination for them so no real surprise or indeed significance.

eielef

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:20 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 4):
It would have been a Domestic flight under the old Yugoslavia but these days its an International route since they all split up.

Not so long ago, in 2013, i took the SKP-BEG flight, under still the JAT Airways colours, on the YU-ALO (ATR72). I asked the stewardess is there was no dinner offered. She answered: no food on domestic flights. I told her: Macedonia is a different country, so its an international flight. She didn't answered back, maybe because of too bad English, but some few minutes later she returned and brought me her dinner. She wasn't hungry anyway!
Amazing lady. It was a flight with only 12 passengers, so we had a sort of VIP treatment..

Putnik

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:33 pm

In the past week or so they also announced opening Hamburg, Kiev and St Petersburg, in addition to New York.
Timetables below:

http://www.exyuaviation.com/2016/03/...erbia-to-launch-st-petersburg.html
"Not my circus, not my monkeys."

epten

Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:45 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 3):
Traffic from Western Europe to Macedonia is booming. Is the government giving incentives to carriers?

Yes.

MEA-707

Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:02 pm

Quoting eielef (Reply 5):
She answered: no food on domestic flights. I told her: Macedonia is a different country, so its an international flight.

Great story. Last year Air Serbia served me a pretty decent snackbox including a big sandwich on the short BEG-SJJ hop (about 30 minutes in the air) but old JAT remained still a bit stuck in the 1980s.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

eielef

Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Yes, I took few days ago the TIV-BEG-TIV route and the food was pretty good, plus the luggage arrived to my destination (SVO) free of charge. All flights were on time, and crew was really good.
But I liked JAT anyways!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos