Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Volaris Applies For Austin And Milwaukee

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:27 pm

Mexican LCC has applied with DOT today for authority to commence service to Austin Texas and Milwaukee Wisconsin.

Carrier says it initially seeks to connect AUS and MKE with Guadalajara Mexico.

No schedule or start up date provided

Related they also applied today to add Durango from LAX.

OST-2016-TBA
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

thekorean

RE: Volaris Applies For Austin And Milwaukee

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:31 pm

MKE seems a bit random to me. AUS makes all the sense in the world of course.

Can a narrow body even do Mexico-MKE or am I overestimating the distance?

qcpilotxf

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:41 pm

Quoting thekorean (Reply 1):

MKE is just a few miles from ORD

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:42 pm

They do Chicago already from GDL and its under a 4-hour flight. Not an issue.

ScottB

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:47 pm

MKE seems a bit random to me. AUS makes all the sense in the world of course.

I disagree about AUS-GDL making much sense, to be honest. GDL is a heavily ethnic market but relatively few Mexicans with origin in that region of Mexico end up in Texas. AUS is also a relatively weak market to Mexico because the key drivers of the local economy (state government, higher education, high tech) have limited ties to Mexico.

You are way overestimating the distance. A narrow body can do PTY-BOS (and does).

rj777

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:49 pm

I think I see an expansion or re-location of international arrivals at MKE coming..........

thekorean

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:50 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 4):

I think with LCC like Volaris, VFR can make the route work. And AUS is in Texas, and that means significant Mexican population.

SurfandSnow

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:02 pm

Don't forget that MKE is a very popular alternative to ORD for folks in Chicago's northern suburbs, even for trips south of the border. Should the service materialize I can see this appealing to folks in places like Highwood and Waukegan, for example...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

Freshside3

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:28 pm

Been to Austin many times......lots of Mexicans but from places OTHER than GDL. I am not familiar with the Volaris operation.........what kind of connections do they offer from GDL??

a380787

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:32 pm

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 8):

Been to Austin many times......lots of Mexicans but from places OTHER than GDL. I am not familiar with the Volaris operation.........what kind of connections do they offer from GDL??

Looks like ~20 domestic airports connected to GDL, so there's some feed. But I'd imagine MKE snow birds would be heading to the beach towns like PVR or CUN, not exactly GDL itself.

yellowtail

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:34 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 4):
PTY-BOS (and does).

NBs do PTY-SFO, MVD and that is even further.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

a380787

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:37 pm

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 10):

NBs do PTY-SFO, MVD and that is even further.

My folks did CM's EZE-PTY-SFO 3 weeks ago in paid J and they were definitely unimpressed (compared to real long haul J).

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 9):
But I'd imagine MKE snow birds would be heading to the beach towns like PVR or CUN, not exactly GDL itself.

Volaris US service is first and foremost about the Mexican diaspora in the US and secondly the growing consumerism driving air travel out of Mexico. Very much focused on the VFR segment.

GDL is their primary access point for US services, with 20 US destinations linked, compared to only 2 from beach market like CUN.

TVNWZ

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 12):
Volaris US service is first and foremost about the Mexican diaspora in the US and secondly the growing consumerism driving air travel out of Mexico.

MKE has about a 10% Mexican population. More than enough to satisfy some sort of service. And when you factor in the Chicago market, it becomes a little more logical.

UA735WL

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:50 pm

Looks like it'll be #3 in the graveyard of failed Mexican carriers at AUS, behind Aeromar and AM to MEX. Best of luck to Volaris though...always like to see new service at AUS.

Jonas
"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions" -Tex Johnston

Freshside3

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:45 pm

Quoting UA735WL (Reply 14):
Looks like it'll be #3 in the graveyard of failed Mexican carriers at AUS, behind Aeromar and AM to MEX. Best of luck to Volaris though...always like to see new service at AUS.

I remember Viva Aerobus coming into AUS, a couple of years ago. What happened to them??

knope2001

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:07 am

Well what do you know -- I heard Volaris had plans to serve Milwaukee, but they're not the first international airline to express serious interest. They are the only one to get this far. No reason to think this won't be approved, so barring some serious unexpected problem it seems likely they'll jump in.

The Mexican government is opening a consulate on Prospect Ave in Milwaukee later this year, and the HIspanic population in SE Wisconsin is about a quarter million. Volaris apparently sees potential at MKE.

knope2001

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:57 am

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 7):
Don't forget that MKE is a very popular alternative to ORD for folks in Chicago's northern suburbs, even for trips south of the border. Should the service materialize I can see this appealing to folks in places like Highwood and Waukegan, for example...

Lake and McHenry IL counties have significant Hispanic population, with about 185k between them. Of course ORD may get the larger share of that, but it's another pool for MKE to draw from.

MKE-GDL is 1,785 miles, just a hair longer than ORD-LAX. Shouldn't be within a comfortable range.

LAX772LR

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:29 am

Quoting a380787 (Reply 11):
My folks did CM's EZE-PTY-SFO 3 weeks ago in paid J and they were definitely unimpressed (compared to real long haul J).

Calling it that is pretty generous... unduly so IMO.

It claims 50in pitch, but certainly comes off as more cramped. Barely comparable to domestic first on most of the US3.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

knope2001

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:13 am

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 17):
MKE-GDL is 1,785 miles, just a hair longer than ORD-LAX. Shouldn't be within a comfortable range.
Should, of course. Ugh...

CO777-200ER

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:09 pm

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 16):
Well what do you know -- I heard Volaris had plans to serve Milwaukee, but they're not the first international airline to express serious interest. They are the only one to get this far. No reason to think this won't be approved, so barring some serious unexpected problem it seems likely they'll jump in.

Have any other international airlines expressed interest recently besides Volaris to MKE? I'd be curious to know who else might be in the running.

wnflyguy

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:59 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 9):

MKE has the second highest Mexican population epual size to the Southside of Chicago.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

a380787

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:12 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 21):

MKE has the second highest Mexican population epual size to the Southside of Chicago.

2nd highest in the midwest or 2nd highest in what ?

rj777

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:20 pm

I think when (not if.....) Volaris shows up, MKE needs to think about how to handle all this international arrival traffic. I returned back from OMA this past Thursday and an Aeromexico plane was parked at the IAB with a WN plane waiting to get in behind it. I've heard that sometimes there have been two planes waiting to get in. Maybe MKE either needs to expand the IAB with either 2 or 3 additional jetways or move all the international arrivals over to E. As far as departures, there's still plenty of room on both C and D.

CO777-200ER

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Quoting rj777 (Reply 23):

Everything I have been hearing is E will serve as the new international terminal. My guess is they are waiting for the leases to expire so they can move UA and AC out of E. Sounds like end of 2018 it will all be completed, that's what the new airport director has said.

jreuschl

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:01 pm

Quoting CO777-200ER (Reply 24):
Everything I have been hearing is E will serve as the new international terminal. My guess is they are waiting for the leases to expire so they can move UA and AC out of E. Sounds like end of 2018 it will all be completed, that's what the new airport director has said.

Would UA and AC object to moving before the lease is up? It isn't like either of them even have mainline service.

I wonder if/when a Euro LCC decides to open up MKE service, Norwegian for example. You'd think there would be enough traffic from IL to justify it.

CO777-200ER

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:39 pm

Quoting jreuschl (Reply 25):
Would UA and AC object to moving before the lease is up? It isn't like either of them even have mainline service.

I wonder if/when a Euro LCC decides to open up MKE service, Norwegian for example. You'd think there would be enough traffic from IL to justify it.

I would have to imagine there is a lot of talk of restructuring all the new lease agreements now that the new airport director has started. I'm not sure the exact date of the leases expiring but it's sometime this year.

Since Norwegian does not serve ORD yet that would be the most logical Euro airline to start service to MKE. Some other examples might be Condor or WOW.

Freshside3

Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:32 pm

Quoting CO777-200ER (Reply 26):
Since Norwegian does not serve ORD yet that would be the most logical Euro airline to start service to MKE. Some other examples might be Condor or WOW.

I was thinking about MKE-Europe, too. My personal pick would be MKE-MUC on Condor.

Longhornmaniac

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:55 pm

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 15):
I remember Viva Aerobus coming into AUS, a couple of years ago. What happened to them??

They were in the late 00s. It was horrible timing from an economic standpoint, as the US economy tanked right around the time they were there. I flew AUS-CUN in May 2008, and it was probably 75% full. The South Terminal was almost a literal shack of a building, but served its purpose fine, I suppose. I would expect Volaris to use the main terminal, which, of course, will have access to our new CBP facility.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

EddieDude

Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:02 am

AM flies 737s from MEX, which is "high", to YVR, so GDL-MKE is a walk in the park.

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 7):
Don't forget that MKE is a very popular alternative to ORD for folks in Chicago's northern suburbs, even for trips south of the border.

I agree Volaris is probably seeing MKE as another "alternative" to reach the Greater Chicagoland area. This would make them present at ORD, MKE and MDW, no? They need to launch Gary and that would complete the domination of all Greater Chicagoland airports lol.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

Cubsrule

Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:47 am

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 17):
Lake and McHenry IL counties have significant Hispanic population, with about 185k between them. Of course ORD may get the larger share of that, but it's another pool for MKE to draw from.

That's hard to say. Aside from a few pockets, southeast and south central Lake County (i.e. the most likely parts to use ORD) are pretty white. Once you get up to Waukegan, Zion and the like, MKE is much more convenient.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

mke717spotter

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:53 am

MKE already has non-stops to CUN, CZM, ZIH, and PVR.

Everything I have been hearing is E will serve as the new international terminal. My guess is they are waiting for the leases to expire so they can move UA and AC out of E.

I thought that the leases were supposed to have expired in January? Anyways, is it more likely that they'd just reconfigure the existing structure or tear it down and build a new one altogether?
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

knope2001

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:18 am

Quoting CO777-200ER (Reply 20):
Have any other international airlines expressed interest recently besides Volaris to MKE? I'd be curious to know who else might be in the running.

I'm aware of one which expressed serious interest but can't really go into detail. Doesn't seem likely they will pull the trigger in the near future, however.

Quoting jreuschl (Reply 25):

The idea has certainly been contemplated, and there are some good reasons for it. However there's a big gap between thinking about it and it happening. The trouble is E would probably need to be rebuilt and the footprint changed to make an FIS operation work. The banjo itself is a generous amount of space to hold inbound passengers queued up for customs but it would be awkward (at best) to set up FIS in the rotunda. You need a place for passengers to collect their baggage in the holding area, and you need restrooms. The stem of E narrows pretty fast. It's tough to see how this would work without a lot of rebuilding. Not cheap. If you try to do it with as little rebuilding as possible to save money, then you end up with something awkward and jury-rigged that doesn't flow well. The existing international arrivals terminal is bigger than some may think -- check out its size versus the C hammerhead where Southwest is on Google Earth. I'm told that international airlines which have checked MKE out in recent years didn't express any concern about the facility or the fact that it is disconnected from the main terminal. Certainly it would be nicer in some ways to have international arrivals right at the main terminal, but it's unlikely we'll ever see much in the way of international arrival connections at MKE.

E as international arrivals is certainly not impossible, and it sounds like the new airport director likes the idea. But there's budgeting, planning, RFP's, bid awards, etc. That takes time and I don't think it's anywhere near a done deal to get those things in motion...at least not yet.

The leases at MKE all came due 12/31/2015 and everybody (except for Frontier who dropped all but two gates) appears to have re-upped for their existing space. Getting UA and AC to move probably isn't an issue...if the airport is willing to pay for costs to move and acceptable facilities are available.

I'd love to see E rebuilt into a fine international arrivals facility, one with regular arrivals from Europe and Latin America all year. Maybe that will be the case a few years down the road, but there are more than a few hurdles.

[Edited 2016-03-22 20:50:26]

YXwatcherMKE

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:21 am

It would be great for MKE to get Volaris to start n/s service that is not charter ops. We have a about 260K Hispanic population in Southeastern WI as stated in the 2010 US Census stats. And as stated by Knope2001, the "Mexican government is opening a consulate on Prospect Ave in Milwaukee later this year." I looked it up in the Milwaukee news paper and they claim that the Consulate will open in August 2016 according to a May 2015 article. The paper states that the large Mexican population and the amount of Milwaukee area businesses that have business ties to companies in central Mexico as 2 of the main reason for the Consulate and that would that be the motive for Volaris to apply for rights to MKE. As others have stated I really hope our new airport director moves quickly for the International arrivals can be moved to a remodeled E concourse for FIS operations and closed own that IAB west of C concourse. F9 has already terminated their contract at MKE that F9 held those 21 unused gates from the back when Republic Airways took over Midwest Airlines and was merged it into F9. So now UA/AC could be moved over to D concourse or even to where AA was on C and use the first 4 gates on C that are now unused.
I miss the 60's & 70's when you felt like a guest on the plane not cattle like today

rj777

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:34 am

I bet that the Layton Ave observation area at MKE is about to get a bit busier!

CO777-200ER

Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:19 pm

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 32):
I'm aware of one which expressed serious interest but can't really go into detail. Doesn't seem likely they will pull the trigger in the near future, however.

Icelandair would have been a great addition for MKE and if I had to guess they were the one in the running but chose ORD in the end. Which by the way starts this month.

scutfarcus

Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:36 pm

Great news for MKE.

It couldn't be *that* expensive to throw another Jet Bridge on the little Int'l terminal as it is, right? At least then you could offload two planes at once. I don't think people would mind a quasi temporary terminal for a couple years while something else gets built out!

knope2001

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:33 am

Quoting scutfarcus (Reply 36):

Great news for MKE.

It couldn't be *that* expensive to throw another Jet Bridge on the little Int'l terminal as it is, right? At least then you could offload two planes at once. I don't think people would mind a quasi temporary terminal for a couple years while something else gets built out!

There are two parking spots at IAB and the jetway swings between the two, so usually if there are two arrivals at about the same time they deplane one and then swing the jetway to deplane the other without having to tow the first plane. Each Saturday during the winter/spring travel season there are eight international arrivals, and I have seen three two planes at IAB with a third waiting. But that's not the norm. I'm guessing Volaris would only operate 2-3 times per week so there might not be overlap.

rj777

Re: Volaris Applies For Austin And Milwaukee

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:18 am

Sad news for spotters. Only 2 flights per week and operating in the dark:
http://www.mitchellairport.com/files/22 ... elease.pdf

DFW789ER

Re: RE: Volaris Applies For Austin And Milwaukee

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:33 pm

ScottB wrote:
Quoting thekorean (Reply 1):MKE seems a bit random to me. AUS makes all the sense in the world of course.
I disagree about AUS-GDL making much sense, to be honest. GDL is a heavily ethnic market but relatively few Mexicans with origin in that region of Mexico end up in Texas. AUS is also a relatively weak market to Mexico because the key drivers of the local economy (state government, higher education, high tech) have limited ties to Mexico.

Quoting thekorean (Reply 1):Can a narrow body even do Mexico-MKE or am I overestimating the distance?
You are way overestimating the distance. A narrow body can do PTY-BOS (and does).

Re: Austin. I tend to agree. It has had several flights to Mexico over years via various airlines. Nothing seemed to stick. I don't see the AUS demographic being that Mexico focused, as opposed to the airport about 80 miles down I-35, SAT.

DFW789ER

Re: RE: Volaris Applies For Austin And Milwaukee

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:36 pm

UA735WL wrote:

Jonas

Didn't Aerocaribe try AUS-CUN years back?

Frontier14

Re: Volaris Applies For Austin And Milwaukee

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Any idea who would do the ground handling for Volaris in MKE?

Frontier 14

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos