Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Shmendr

RE: Flight Attendant Leaves 60lbs Cocaine Behind @ LAX

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:02 am

She was working in first class, right? I hear this is a new JetBlue service for premium customers on the LAX-NYC-LAX route. Would be able to definitely charge more for tickets if it was possible to purchase cocaine in flight.

[Edited 2016-03-22 04:31:08]

IPFreely

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:19 pm

Quoting NYPECO (Reply 36):
The TSA's job isn't to chase after suspects. If they go chasing after one person, who's going to be there at the checkpoint keeping anyone else from walking right past security?

Nobody said they all have to go. At pretty much every security point I have gone thru there are so many TSA agents milling around uselessly that it's all they can do to avoid bumping into each other. A couple of agents at one checkpoint in an airport as big as LAX would be completely expendable without stopping the line; it might even clear out some space and make things more efficient.

IPFreely

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:25 pm

Quoting manny (Reply 47):
How inept is the TSA that they cannot chase down a person carrying 60 lbs of weight.

As was pointed ouot, she jettisoned the 60 lb bag. Along with her shoes. But even shoeless she managed to easily get away in one of the country's biggest airports.

As I posted above, it's way past time for the TSA to adopt physical fitness standards along the lines of the military or federal law enforcement. I'm not proposing that they need to meet Navy SEAL requirements. But they wear uniforms and badges and provide security -- they should at least look like a security force. And have a chance to catch a shoeless woman running through an airport. I wrote to my congressman using this article as an example of why this is needed; I suggest you and others do the same.

johns624

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:52 pm

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 52):
federal law enforcement

Feds have hiring standards, but not continuing standards. You should see some of the Customs officers at DTW...

exunited

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:41 pm

As I posted above, it's way past time for the TSA to adopt physical fitness standards along the lines of the military or federal law enforcement. I'm not proposing that they need to meet Navy SEAL requirements. But they wear uniforms and badges and provide security -- they should at least look like a security force. And have a chance to catch a shoeless woman running through an airport. I wrote to my congressman using this article as an example of why this is needed; I suggest you and others do the same.

The TSA "officers" have no authority other than to report the person to someone who does have authority like LAPD or airport police at some airports. They have zero authority to chase and capture a fleeing person. TSA = mall cops. Any authority of their "officers" is an illusion they create to make the masses passive and compliant.

IADCA

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:00 pm

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 51):
Nobody said they all have to go. At pretty much every security point I have gone thru there are so many TSA agents milling around uselessly that it's all they can do to avoid bumping into each other.

One problem I've seen is that the TSA agents are so focused on their compartmentalized responsibilities and doing everything according to whatever protocols are drilled into them that they are utterly unable or unwilling to react to any situation that would require any deviation from those previously assigned duties. If nobody had been specifically assigned "chase shoeless flight attendant" (and been standing around waiting to do that and only that), nobody would do it.

Quoting Shmendr (Reply 50):
I hear this is a new JetBlue service for premium customers on the LAX-NYC-LAX route. Would be able to definitely charge more for tickets if it was possible to purchase cocaine in flight.

It's first class. People up front don't do the a la carte model. The coke has to be free.

axelesgg

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:30 pm

About 27 kgs for the other metric users  
Fly Draganair

bobnwa

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:31 pm

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 24):
but I hope she's able to dodge the penal system one way or another.

Why would you think that is a good thing and the F/A should dodge the penal system? This person is a criminal and should be prosecuted.

scbriml

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:40 pm

Quoting T prop (Reply 37):
So who will screen the TSA, the TSA?

As the Romans used to say "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

N717TW

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:50 pm

She had a JetBlue badge and was bound for AA028 to JFK. She seemed ready to party in a way most flight attendants aren't: she had on Gucci high heals, 68 lbs of blow, and some Trojan Magnum condoms.

slvrblt

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:57 pm

Just curious, how was it this F/A got screened? From my observation, they usually waltz in thru their ''known crewmember'' entrances and that's it, no screening.
..everything works out in the end.

IADCA

Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:24 pm

Quoting slvrblt (Reply 60):
Just curious, how was it this F/A got screened? From my observation, they usually waltz in thru their ''known crewmember'' entrances and that's it, no screening.

Read the article. Heck, just read the second sentence of the first post in this thread.

slvrblt

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:11 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 61):
Read the article. Heck, just read the second sentence of the first post in this thread.

Oh, I read it. It's just that I've NEVER seen them get pulled aside by TSA at the known crew member entrance in MIA. Never. They just walk thru, that's it.

dc10lover

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Imagine 60 pounds of flour but cocaine instead. That is a lot of cocaine plus i wonder what the value of the 60 pounds of cocaine is.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

PGNCS

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:27 pm

Quoting slvrblt (Reply 62):
Oh, I read it. It's just that I've NEVER seen them get pulled aside by TSA at the known crew member entrance in MIA. Never. They just walk thru, that's it.

I'm a pilot. Pilots and Flight Attendants get pulled aside for additional screening at KCM all the time. I was pulled aside in MIA last month. Just because you've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

T5towbar

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:49 pm

Just curious, how was it this F/A got screened? From my observation, they usually waltz in thru their ''known crewmember'' entrances and that's it, no screening

They get random screenings like everybody else.
This FA did not have access to the SIDA area. If I assume an ongoing investigation is in progress, they would probably trying to figure out if she was thing about passing it off to someone who works in the airport and has access to the SIDA area. But most likely, she was trying to use her airline access somehow. The criminal mind works wonders these days, and we don't know her thought process in all of this.

Quoting DC10LOVER (Reply 63):
Imagine 60 pounds of flour but cocaine instead. That is a lot of cocaine plus i wonder what the value of the 60 pounds of cocaine is.

Probably around or just a bit over a million dollars (wholesale - depending on the quality of the coke and the going rate for a key). Way much more money street value, once it is cut and stepped on. Three to four times much more.......
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!

DTWPurserBoy

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:56 pm

Quoting holzmann (Reply 23):

NBC reported it was Jet Blue.

That is correct. They know who she is so she will not get far. Explains how she paid for Gucci shoes.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

jcwr56

Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:05 pm

Quoting T5towbar (Reply 65):
Probably around or just a bit over a million dollars (wholesale - depending on the quality of the coke and the going rate for a key). Way much more money street value, once it is cut and stepped on. Three to four times much more.......

And we know how?  

DTWPurserBoy

Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:08 pm

Every once in a while someone succumbs to the temptation of easy money. Eventually they get caught. We had a guy get caught in DTW a few years ago and he tried to run through the customs hall. He didn't know they have metal gates that drop from the ceiling and he got caged--there and in prison for 20 years. Sad. When will people learn?
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

manny

Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:08 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 49):
You may want to re-read the story; she took off on foot, without the two big bags of blow.
As was pointed ouot, she jettisoned the 60 lb bag. Along with her shoes. But even shoeless she managed to easily get away in one of the country's biggest airports.

According to the story:

Suddenly, the woman bolted from the screening location, running with her bags toward an escalator. After a short distance she jettisoned the luggage and her Gucci shoes, exiting the terminal.

So she ran with her bags towards an escalator and only after a short distance did she jettison her luggage and shoes. Now even doing that does slow you down a bit. But despite that the FA got away. Way to go TSA.

DTWPurserBoy

Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:10 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 64):

I'm a pilot. Pilots and Flight Attendants get pulled aside for additional screening at KCM all the time. I was pulled aside in MIA last month. Just because you've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I get random screened quite a lot. CONSTANTLY screened in places like London, AMS and numerous other foreign stations. IT's no big deal--just annoying to have to repack everything.

nws2002

Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:54 pm

Quoting Armodeen (Reply 19):
Absolutely everyone should be screened, everyone.

That would probably be the end of cross-utilized agents who work the ticket counter and then disperse out to the ramp/gate when the aircraft arrives.

Those with KCM are randomly selected for additional screening. I have no idea how it works exactly, but when you scan your badge, sometimes they will send you to the normal TSA line.

NYPECO

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:44 pm

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 51):
Nobody said they all have to go. At pretty much every security point I have gone thru there are so many TSA agents milling around uselessly that it's all they can do to avoid bumping into each other. A couple of agents at one checkpoint in an airport as big as LAX would be completely expendable without stopping the line; it might even clear out some space and make things more efficient.

They don't have the authority to arrest or carry weapons, because their job is airport security, not law enforcement. If someone needs to be arrested, that's what the airport police are for.

slvrblt

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:12 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 64):
Just because you've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Very true. My point is that as many times as I walk past that entrance on a daily basis, I've never seen it going on, so it can't happen too often.  
What I DO see often is a big line of crew members at that spot; and a solo TSA person scanning ID's and whipping them thru as fast as they can.

EA CO AS

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:43 pm

Quoting manny (Reply 69):
So she ran with her bags towards an escalator and only after a short distance did she jettison her luggage and shoes. Now even doing that does slow you down a bit. But despite that the FA got away. Way to go TSA.

TSA's job isn't to keep people from leaving the airport, it's to keep them from entering sterile areas without being screened. It's the job of LEOs to apprehend and detain someone like this FA, and while there are some LEOs at the checkpoints, they can't just tear off after someone leaving the building.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

PGNCS

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:52 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 70):
Quoting PGNCS (Reply 64):I'm a pilot. Pilots and Flight Attendants get pulled aside for additional screening at KCM all the time. I was pulled aside in MIA last month. Just because you've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I get random screened quite a lot. CONSTANTLY screened in places like London, AMS and numerous other foreign stations. IT's no big deal--just annoying to have to repack everything.

Of course, and I agree completely DTWPurserBoy: I have been pulled many, many times and it's simply an annoyance. My point was that a poster was claiming it was rare, and it is not.

Quoting slvrblt (Reply 73):
My point is that as many times as I walk past that entrance on a daily basis, I've never seen it going on, so it can't happen too often.

It does.

Quoting slvrblt (Reply 73):
What I DO see often is a big line of crew members at that spot; and a solo TSA person scanning ID's and whipping them thru as fast as they can.

Which is their job. If they have no reason to be suspicious and you aren't flagged as a random selectee, they have every incentive to quickly process crewmembers.

Prost

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Keep in mind, the flight attendants and pilots could walk through KCM nude with no luggage and still pose a threat to the safety of the traveling public, as was shown painfully by the Germanwings incident.

alberchico

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:17 pm

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 67):

Quoting T5towbar (Reply 65):

And we know how?  

Yeah that was WAY too detailed of an answer....  
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

ua900

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:51 pm

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 30):
Her "career" as a flight attendant may have ended but this is just a hiccup in her real career as a drug dealer.

Losing her SIDA badge is the least of her worries. It's more than a hiccup if she was just a mule.

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 33):
Sounds a lot like shopping mall security.

Nah, mall cops have segways. At LAX, those are the domain of the LAPD / LASD   

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 35):
The tub stackers aren't armed and have no arrest authority.

Best term yet.

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 38):
However, as I type that the flaw would be who would screen the first shift?

They check each other for ticks in the morning when they open. They hold a group session on the airside of the checkpoint. Anyone who falls off the bench drunk gets sent home. That's about it. You can witness it for yourself in T5 and elsewhere if you show up early enough.

Quoting T5towbar (Reply 45):
This will make a good TV movie, I think.............

Tag on flight to Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul.

Quoting exunited (Reply 54):
The TSA "officers" have no authority other than to report the person to someone who does have authority like LAPD or airport police at some airports.

Same authority as you, I and that mall cop. You and I can do a citizens arrest too. And it's her right to resist. What worries me is that neither LAPD Airport division nor LASD was able to locate her. They manage to clog up the approach on Century all the time but how exactly did she get past Sepulveda without them noticing? That to me is a huge failure since that's the only way out unless she crossed a runway on foot and jumped a perimeter fence.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TXL

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:39 pm

Lots on nonsense in this thread regarding the TSA.

Its clearly not their job to chase after or even attempt to detain someone fleeing from checkpoint.

TSA role is to observe and report, and not get involved with incidents which may only serve as diversionary tactic to take attention away from their checkpoint operations and duties.

Quoting ua900 (Reply 78):
At LAX, those are the domain of the LAPD / LASD
What worries me is that neither LAPD Airport division nor LASD was able to locate her. They manage to clog up the approach on Century all the time but how exactly did she get past Sepulveda without them noticing? That to me is a huge failure since that's the only way out unless she crossed a runway on foot and jumped a perimeter fence.

There is no LASD @ LAX, nor is the small LAPD LAX substation responsible for responding to routine service calls.

LAWA PD is the primary LEO agency at the airport, and they comply with federal mandated response times for calls at checkpoints.

It takes only takes a few dozen seconds to get pretty far in a crowded facility like an airport and mix in

Anyhow, there is a video trail of the incident so there is good insight to how events played out.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

AAlaxfan

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:39 pm

What worries me is that neither LAPD Airport division nor LASD was able to locate her. They manage to clog up the approach on Century all the time but how exactly did she get past Sepulveda without them noticing?

All she had to do is hop on a shuttle bus. She would've been out of the central terminal area before a perimeter could've been set up by LAWA PD

[Edited 2016-03-22 15:51:43]
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:35 am

The JetBlue FA identified as Marsha Gay Reynolds, was arrested in New York on Wednesday by the DEA.
She is scheduled to appear in Federal Court on Thursday.

OMP777X

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:58 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 81):
The JetBlue FA identified as Marsha Gay Reynolds, was arrested in New York on Wednesday by the DEA.

Apparently she turned herself in:
http://nypost.com/2016/03/23/flight-...-coke-at-airport-turns-herself-in/

I'd be interested to see who she was working for.

Best,

OMP777X
"Happy Flighting!"

manny

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:20 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 79):
Lots on nonsense in this thread regarding the TSA.

Most people wont care who's job it is or whose job it is not.But most people care about is proper legal enforcement when things go south. In this situation that was not the case.

The fact is they stopped a FA with 60lbs of cocaine who was than able to take off with the said cocaine and was able to leave the airport without getting caught. Now substitute that 60 lbs of cocaine with an explosive and we have a very grave threat instead of a serious crime. The fact that we STILL do not have a mechanism in place to effectively deal with such situations is alarming.

DiamondFlyer

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:04 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 81):

I think the biggest question I have at this point is, how, after the chase out of TSA, was she able to travel from LA to NYC?

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:54 am

I thought it was interesting, under the context of the TSA "not being able to catch her", that she also ran up a down excalator (or down an up - can't remember). Basically, that's walking.  

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:32 am

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 84):
I think the biggest question I have at this point is, how, after the chase out of TSA, was she able to travel from LA to NYC?

She non-reved on JetBlue.

Quoting manny (Reply 83):
The fact is they stopped a FA with 60lbs of cocaine who was than able to take off with the said cocaine and was able to leave the airport without getting caught. Now substitute that 60 lbs of cocaine with an explosive and we have a very grave threat instead of a serious crime. The fact that we STILL do not have a mechanism in place to effectively deal with such situations is alarming.
Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 85):
I thought it was interesting, under the context of the TSA "not being able to catch her", that she also ran up a down excalator (or down an up - can't remember). Basically, that's walking.

And stated prior - its not TSA job to physically chase after a person.

They simply observe and report the incident.

ThirtyEcho

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:08 am

She'd have made it through the check OK if they had just molded the cocaine into shapes like hand grenades.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:23 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 86):
And stated prior - its not TSA job to physically chase after a person.

They simply observe and report the incident.

Yes, that was why I put my [poorly worded] disclaimer.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

KLM11

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:10 am

Here’s the pill I’m having a difficult time swallowing here:

All the media hype and nearly every post on this thread are talking about aviation security-related issues. Yet in fact what we are truly discussing is a U.S. law enforcement issue. I would not fear for my life if 70lbs of coke made it onto my flight, but I would if 70 loaded firearms scattered about the overhead bins and a flight full of lunatics did. Indeed, the F/A should loose her job for attempting to transport drugs, but can't we scale it back for a minute? TSA fails undercover security tests far more often than not...THAT should be the real focus of those who want increased screening for crew, etc. 70lbs of coke, 70lbs of designer shoes, both ain't gonna bring the plane down!

KLM11
BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

santi319

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:40 am

Quoting KLM11 (Reply 89):
All the media hype and nearly every post on this thread are talking about aviation security-related issues. Yet in fact what we are truly discussing is a U.S. law enforcement issue. I would not fear for my life if 70lbs of coke made it onto my flight, but I would if 70 loaded firearms scattered about the overhead bins and a flight full of lunatics did. Indeed, the F/A should loose her job for attempting to transport drugs, but can't we scale it back for a minute? TSA fails undercover security tests far more often than not...THAT should be the real focus of those who want increased screening for crew, etc. 70lbs of coke, 70lbs of designer shoes, both ain't gonna bring the plane down!

BINGO! Specially when really TSA is not even trained to look for narcotics haha. The meltdowns of everyone reacting to this are hysterical!

LAXtoATL

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:52 am

Quoting KLM11 (Reply 89):

As I've stated about a half dozen times in this thread...
Don't get caught up with the fact that she was carrying cocaine. What this incident highlights is that she could have been carrying 70 lbs of anything (including guns that you say would alarm you - in fact an arsenal of guns have been brought onboard aircraft previously by employees).
The security concern is that as long as employees feel comfortable they will not screened, it greatly increases the odds that they will exploit that vulnerability (or someone else will use them to exploit that vulnerability).

I know I was called a moron for suggested that employees be screened before entering the passenger terminal (if not all sterile areas), and while I now concede there are some logistic hurdles to implementing such a system - the idea apparently is not that moronic since Los Angeles Airport Police have come out and called for 100% screening of all passengers and employees. While I concede implementing for the entire airport could be tricky it would not be that difficult to screen all individuals before entering the sterile area of the passenger terminal (the doors are already there, you just deny access and funnel everyone through the checkpoint).
TSA has already been on record as stating their biggest concern / threat is from airport / airline employees, but they declined to mandate screening because it would be too costly. I just hate it will take a tragic event to take place that can be prevented now from occurring, before that cost / safety analysis is revisited and it is determined that the safety of our aviation system outweighs the costs. Unfortunately, we are dealing with real dollars and hypothetical threats (until lives are actually lost the dollars will always be a greater concern.

LAXtoATL

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:57 am

Quoting santi319 (Reply 90):
BINGO! Specially when really TSA is not even trained to look for narcotics haha.

I think you are missing the point. TSA isn't trained to inspect crew luggage at all under normal procedure. This was a random check that resulted in this find. The point is if this random check resulted in 70lbs (think about how much that is) of contraband, what else is or could be getting through since these individuals and their luggage do not regularly get screened?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 91):
the idea apparently is not that moronic since Los Angeles Airport Police have come out and called for 100% screening of all passengers and employees.

LAWA Police has not come out and suggested anything.

Its the very troubled employee union LAAPOA that comes out with ideas like. Why? it means more work, more employees, more $$$.

Considering the LAAPOA might not be around themselves at the end they grab at straws and draw media attention to their existence.
Over the years they have been involved in plenty of drama themselves and lost much of their credibility.

T5towbar

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:12 pm

Like I said before, it was better to turn herself in. She was probably feeling heat from both directions, and her options was limited. She will probably cut herself a deal and flip, because that much weight in drugs, the authorities would like to know the people in the organization and the source of the drugs. Was this woman just a courier? Is she a part of the smuggling organization, and how many more members are involved?

More info will be coming out in the coming days, and now more than ever, airport security should and would be tightened as such.
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!

Rbgso

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:49 pm

She may be safer in jail, at least in the short term.

b727fa

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:22 pm

New info: she apparently had NOT scanned her KCM card yet so TSA did not know who she was when she ran (statement by TSA). She returned about 4 hours later and was able to non-rev on B6 to JFK--because they didn't know who ran, there was "no reason" to block/apprehend her later that night--where she turned herself in to law enforcement. Let's also consider that KCM *worked*. This proves that there are ways to "be caught" and this cements the KCM process...it doesn't prove a weakness...it reinforces the system.

[Edited 2016-03-24 10:28:02]
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

IADCA

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:37 pm

Quoting B727FA (Reply 96):
Let's also consider that KCM *worked*. This proves that there are ways to "be caught" and this cements the KCM process...it doesn't prove a weakness...it reinforces the system.

Assuming what you posted about not scanning her card yet is correct, she got caught before the KCM process even really came into play (as showing an ID is the first step in either KCM or the regular screening in almost all instances), so it doesn't do anything to "cement" the KCM process, which later helped a wanted criminal suspect fly across the country from the same place the original crime was committed. I'm sorry, but your post just doesn't make any logical sense: at best, the KCM process had nothing to do with this, and it worst it aided a fugitive.

[Edited 2016-03-24 10:38:06]

santi319

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:53 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 92):
I think you are missing the point. TSA isn't trained to inspect crew luggage at all under normal procedure. This was a random check that resulted in this find. The point is if this random check resulted in 70lbs (think about how much that is) of contraband, what else is or could be getting through since these individuals and their luggage do not regularly get screened?

You obviously have no idea how KCM works. And I don't think I'm supposed to explain to you, but crews do receive random checks ALL THE TIME as a normal procedure.

DTWPurserBoy

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:54 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 75):
Of course, and I agree completely DTWPurserBoy: I have been pulled many, many times and it's simply an annoyance. My point was that a poster was claiming it was rare, and it is not.

There is one European city (which shall remain nameless) that seems to get a particular joy out of "screening" crew members. They will stick their ungloved fingers into jars of ladies cosmetics, pull all of your clothes out and feel the seams, then dump them in a heap, squeeze all of the toothpaste out of the tube, and (my personal favorite) decide that MAYBE you have something secreted in the lining of your suitcase so they take a razor blade and slice your luggage apart (that you have to replace at your own expense.) And then they smugly look at you as though daring you to say something. A screening is legit but deliberately destroying your property is not. If you complain to your company they just shrug and say "it's out of our hands." If you try to complain to one of the screeners supervisors you wind up "on the list" to be perpetually harassed every time you leave the country.

I have friends that deliberately avoid flying to this country because of their treatment. You are helpless to do anything about it and they know it.

Pilots and flight attendants on a.net that fly to Europe will immediately identify which nation I am talking about. Most countries are politely professional and want to get you on your way to your airplane as quickly and painlessly as possible. A quick smile and a 'thank you' as you leave goes a long way with them.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos