Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jano

RE: Flight Attendant Leaves 60lbs Cocaine Behind @ LAX

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:01 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 99):
There is one European city (which shall remain nameless)

Can you name the country? I do not care about naming the city. Thank you.

LAXtoATL

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:27 pm

Quoting santi319 (Reply 98):
You obviously have no idea how KCM works. And I don't think I'm supposed to explain to you, but crews do receive random checks ALL THE TIME as a normal procedure.

Apparently I understand better than you do...
You don't seem to realize that by definition a RANDOM check would mean it is not a NORMAL procedure.

The NORMAL procedure is they walk straight through with no screening of person or luggage. The exception to that procedure is the RANDOM screening. And if it happened ALL THE TIME it therefore wouldn't be RANDOM.

Scooter

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:40 am

Quoting B727FA (Reply 96):
She returned about 4 hours later and was able to non-rev on B6 to JFK--because they didn't know who ran, there was "no reason" to block/apprehend her later that night--where she turned herself in to law enforcement.

Wait...she came BACK to LAX four hours later to non rev to JFK? Talk about having **** of steel, considering how much video footage they likely had of the incident.

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:08 pm

Quoting jano (Reply 100):

Unfortunately, I cannot. But I have had private messages from crew members that hit the airport right on the head.

[Edited 2016-03-25 06:19:20]

texdravid

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:38 pm

It is high time to screen everyone every time and at every airport.
That means you aircrew need to get up extra early like the rest of us
and get all your crap screened every time. No exceptions.

And no regular Joe gives two flips if your precious arrogance or pride
is hurt.

In the real world, everyone from the CEO to the janitor has to follow
The same rules. Why shouldn't you?

The days of special privileges ended with 9/11, and the islamofascists.
Trust no one and screen everyone. Every time.

b727fa

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:55 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 101):
Apparently I understand better than you do...
You don't seem to realize that by definition a RANDOM check would mean it is not a NORMAL procedure.

Ummmm...actually, it's random for the PERSON, but there IS a system of how the person is "picked" and that is NORMAL.

b727fa

Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:00 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 97):

Quoting B727FA (Reply 96):
Let's also consider that KCM *worked*. This proves that there are ways to "be caught" and this cements the KCM process...it doesn't prove a weakness...it reinforces the system.

Assuming what you posted about not scanning her card yet is correct, she got caught before the KCM process even really came into play (as showing an ID is the first step in either KCM or the regular screening in almost all instances), so it doesn't do anything to "cement" the KCM process, which later helped a wanted criminal suspect fly across the country from the same place the original crime was committed. I'm sorry, but your post just doesn't make any logical sense: at best, the KCM process had nothing to do with this, and it worst it aided a fugitive.

Not really. Even entering the KCM line a person is subject to screening before, during or after scanning. She was selected for additional screening while at the KCM location--the system worked in that even though she thought she could bypass "security" with her badge, she still got caught. People need to realize that going through KCM isn't a "pass" and crew are still subject to search and inspection. It's not a merry go round where anything goes.

max999

Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:10 pm

There is one European city (which shall remain nameless) that seems to get a particular joy out of "screening" crew members.
Quoting jano (Reply 100):
Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 103):
Unfortunately, I cannot. But I have had private messages from crew members that hit the airport right on the head.

I have a friend who's a DL FA and he told me about this. The airport is LHR.

[Edited 2016-03-25 12:10:30]

IADCA

Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:27 pm

Quoting B727FA (Reply 106):
Even entering the KCM line a person is subject to screening before, during or after scanning. She was selected for additional screening while at the KCM location--the system worked in that even though she thought she could bypass "security" with her badge, she still got caught. People need to realize that going through KCM isn't a "pass" and crew are still subject to search and inspection. It's not a merry go round where anything goes.

That's like saying every time the TSA catches someone with a gun trying to go through security is proof that the system works. It's not. It's one instance of success amidst what may well be widespread failure. While it's nice that she got caught, the sheer volume of drugs she was carrying strongly suggests that this was not her first rodeo, and that she'd probably smuggled drugs through KCM points multiple times previously. That doesn't strike me as a successful system, especially when compared to what would happen if you tried to smuggle even an appreciable fraction of this amount of drugs past even a standard TSA checkpoint. Even the TSA likely wouldn't miss that amount of stuff. Yes, this shows that crew members may not be able to abuse the system as rampantly as she might have hoped, but that doesn't suggest to me in any way that the system functions particularly well.

b727fa

Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:44 am

Ok. You can be right today.

cougar15

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:55 am

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 103):
Quoting jano (Reply 100):Can you name the country? I do not care about naming the city. Thank you.

Well, that can only be the UK!  

MD11Engineer

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:44 pm

There is one European city (which shall remain nameless) that seems to get a particular joy out of "screening" crew members. They will stick their ungloved fingers into jars of ladies cosmetics, pull all of your clothes out and feel the seams, then dump them in a heap, squeeze all of the toothpaste out of the tube, and (my personal favorite) decide that MAYBE you have something secreted in the lining of your suitcase so they take a razor blade and slice your luggage apart (that you have to replace at your own expense.) And then they smugly look at you as though daring you to say something. A screening is legit but deliberately destroying your property is not. If you complain to your company they just shrug and say "it's out of our hands." If you try to complain to one of the screeners supervisors you wind up "on the list" to be perpetually harassed every time you leave the country.

I have friends that deliberately avoid flying to this country because of their treatment. You are helpless to do anything about it and they know it.

Pilots and flight attendants on a.net that fly to Europe will immediately identify which nation I am talking about. Most countries are politely professional and want to get you on your way to your airplane as quickly and painlessly as possible. A quick smile and a 'thank you' as you leave goes a long way with them.
Quoting max999 (Reply 107):

There is one European city (which shall remain nameless) that seems to get a particular joy out of "screening" crew members. They will stick their ungloved fingers into jars of ladies cosmetics, pull all of your clothes out and feel the seams, then dump them in a heap, squeeze all of the toothpaste out of the tube, and (my personal favorite) decide that MAYBE you have something secreted in the lining of your suitcase so they take a razor blade and slice your luggage apart (that you have to replace at your own expense.) And then they smugly look at you as though daring you to say something. A screening is legit but deliberately destroying your property is not. If you complain to your company they just shrug and say "it's out of our hands." If you try to complain to one of the screeners supervisors you wind up "on the list" to be perpetually harassed every time you leave the country.

I have friends that deliberately avoid flying to this country because of their treatment. You are helpless to do anything about it and they know it.

Pilots and flight attendants on a.net that fly to Europe will immediately identify which nation I am talking about. Most countries are politely professional and want to get you on your way to your airplane as quickly and painlessly as possible. A quick smile and a 'thank you' as you leave goes a long way with them.

STN is just the same. You complain and they threaten to arrest you for noncompliance.

Jan

nws2002

Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:06 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 111):
STN is just the same. You complain and they threaten to arrest you for noncompliance.

Yup, I rolled my eyes at LHR once during this ridiculous level of screening and they threatened to have me arrested for refusing to comply with security directives. I just trade away most UK trips now. Let the junior crew have them, there are a lot better places to go anyways.

bobnwa

Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:40 pm

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 112):
I just trade away most UK trips now. Let the junior crew have them, there are a lot better places to go anyways.

Can't believe that statement! Isn't that a remark a spoiled child would make?

ltbewr

Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:56 pm

I am quite sure that this woman got pulled over as had a look and was apparently dragging a heavy bag that are triggers of any good security agent.

There is other set of issues with this woman's criminal behavior.

One has to wonder about the airline's background checks and internal security. Yes, there are limits due to privacy laws, but some signs like the very expensive shoes, while most F'/A buy shoes from Payless or outlet stores, perhaps some behavior changes with her fellow crew members, perhaps abused security procedures before could have prevented this.

Then there is the loss of the investment in her by JetBlue including her training, and for her replacement short and long term. I bet she messed up several F/A schedules, people at JetBlue had to redo schedules with her loss.

The security set ups while they have to allow for emergency escapes, need to be restructured to prevent someone considered to have done criminal acts to get away.

Anyone who works for an airline and not part of a particular flight's crew, like flying to work from another airport or personal flying, must be subject to the same security as any other passenger.

DiamondFlyer

Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 114):
Then there is the loss of the investment in her by JetBlue including her training, and for her replacement short and long term. I bet she messed up several F/A schedules, people at JetBlue had to redo schedules with her loss

The cost of training an FA is minimal. There is basically no skill required, training isn't nearly as long as pilot training. Airlines have reserves for exactly this reason, someone can't do a trip, they call in a reserve.

-DiamondFlyer

Pellegrine

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:32 pm

Ahhhhhh. That's why the price of blow ticked higher for a few days in the northeast. Hope she doesn't get too much time. Alcohol is worse of a drug than coke. Also, I disagree with the $1-1.5 million estimate. 90+% pure can fetch $100/g given the right customer (rich white people and rich college kids), making the value here possibly in excess of $25 million.

Eagleboy

Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:15 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 13):
I believe I said all airport / airline employees should be screened before entering a secure area. TSA would definitely qualify as airport employees, so yes I think they should be screened as well.

This has always been the way in Europe, today you regularly see security staff screening each other as they past through airside posts. US flight crew get quite irate when they arent exempt going throught Irish airport staff security search posts

IPFreely

Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 116):
Also, I disagree with the $1-1.5 million estimate. 90+% pure can fetch $100/g given the right customer (rich white people and rich college kids), making the value here possibly in excess of $25 million.

That's the retail price. You won't find your target customer (rich white people and rich college kids) willing to pay $25 million for 60 lb in one transaction. There are a lot of handling, storage, shipping, marketing, and distribution costs involved in taking 60 lb, dividing it up, and selling it one gram at a time. The people who provide these services don't work cheap. The $1-1.5 million is a reasonable wholesale price for this amount.

T5towbar

Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 116):
Ahhhhhh. That's why the price of blow ticked higher for a few days in the northeast. Hope she doesn't get too much time. Alcohol is worse of a drug than coke. Also, I disagree with the $1-1.5 million estimate. 90+% pure can fetch $100/g given the right customer (rich white people and rich college kids), making the value here possibly in excess of $25 million.

But we're talking almost 30 kilos here. This is distribution weight, not personal use.
Depending on quality (we don't know the purity of this stuff - probably came in from Mexico which makes it pretty pure -
the average price for a kilo (I've heard this from various sources - LEO's and others) could be between 16 to 25K give or take wholesale. The price of blow goes up and down due to market fluctuations just like any other commodity. Location is very important as well. This is wholesale only so my million dollar figure I posted before is just a bit off. But it was going to NYC, where prices are generally higher, this product is going to be cut (mixed in with other cutting agents) to maximize profit, you are definitely looking over several million dollars street value. Many hands will be involved here. Very few people can or will buy a straight key of coke - you have to go thru a lot of hoops and have the right connections do do this, so this product was bound for the streets. People are always looking for ways to increase profit, so this amount will be cut. Ask anybody you know in law enforcement and they will tell you something similar.

Bottom line is this flight attendant is looking at some serious time here.
DEA and other LEA's will definitely want to talk to her, and maybe she will sing. They would like to know the structure of this operation, and how many trips this particular FA made. And how she beat security.

Revelation

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:06 pm

Quoting jayhup (Reply 43):
Instead of focusing on people who are actually a risk (the dreaded profile) you want to waste time and energy screening everyone for everything.

Right, because the only ones that ever do anything are the ones that "are a risk". Who decides that? Would you search Timothy McVeigh?

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 114):
I am quite sure that this woman got pulled over as had a look

I'll say;

Runner up in the Miss Jamaica contest...

Wonder what "profile" she meets?

Quoting T5towbar (Reply 119):
But we're talking almost 30 kilos here.

That's a lot of toot!

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 86):
And stated prior - its not TSA job to physically chase after a person.

She ran track in college. I bet she could out run 90% of the TSA even shoeless.

The TSA is saying their duty was to stay with the package in case it was a bomb.

Quoting N717TW (Reply 59):
She seemed ready to party in a way most flight attendants aren't: she had on Gucci high heals, 68 lbs of blow, and some Trojan Magnum condoms.

Where were these girls when I was her age? 

Ref: http://heavy.com/news/2016/03/marsha...photos-miss-jamaica-athlete-worth/

johns624

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:08 pm

Here's a thought...maybe she was cooperating with authorities and the whole thing was a setup so that the drug ring wouldn't know that she gave them up.

max999

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:13 pm

Bottom line is this flight attendant is looking at some serious time here.
DEA and other LEA's will definitely want to talk to her, and maybe she will sing. They would like to know the structure of this operation, and how many trips this particular FA made. And how she beat security.

And when she gets out, she's going to write a book about her experience in women's prison which will be turned into a highly popular and award winning streaming TV drama series. Oh wait... that's already been done by another convicted female drug trafficker!

IPFreely

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:42 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 120):
She ran track in college. I bet she could out run 90% of the TSA even shoeless

Take a close look at the TSA agents the next time you go through security. I think the number is closer to 99%.

The lack of physical fitness standards for this so-called "security" force is appalling. As I posted earlier, everyone should write to their congressmen and senators and ask that this be addressed.

johns624

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:53 am

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 123):
The lack of physical fitness standards for this so-called "security" force is appalling. As I posted earlier, everyone should write to their congressmen and senators and ask that this be addressed.

US Customs doesn't have any standards once you're hired, either.

Pellegrine

Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:25 am

the average price for a kilo (I've heard this from various sources - LEO's and others) could be between 16 to 25K give or take wholesale.

That's kind of cheap. A kilo wholesale can be 30-40k. Also, I guess yeah, I was talking about big cities/locales in the northeast that probably pay the highest prices cause that's where I've always lived in the USA. Washington/Manhattan/New Haven/Boston. People that do powder and are discerning customers, not guys who sell on the cheap who make rocks out of it.

pilotsmoe

Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:53 am

This 27.3 kg, we only measure our drugs in metric, it's the only use for metric in 'Murica, lol. I suprised it took as long as it did to catch her, and she got on another plane? Imagine if it was a bomb instead of some nose candy  

LAXintl
Topic Author

Re: Flight Attendant Leaves 60lbs Cocaine Behind @ LAX

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:43 am

The FA plead guilty to possession and conspiracy with intent to distribute cocaine.

She faces a mandatory minimum 10-yearm sentence

http://www.10news.com/news/u-s-world/fl ... ead-guilty

bennett123

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:50 pm

Probably figured it was safer in jail than explaining the loss of that Coke.

readytotaxi

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Guess I would still be looking over my shoulder, if I got out in one piece.

Flighty

Re: RE: Flight Attendant Leaves 60lbs Cocaine Behind @ LAX

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:41 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I am quite sure that this woman got pulled over as had a look and was apparently dragging a heavy bag that are triggers of any good security agent.

There is other set of issues with this woman's criminal behavior.

One has to wonder about the airline's background checks and internal security. Yes, there are limits due to privacy laws, but some signs like the very expensive shoes, while most F'/A buy shoes from Payless or outlet stores, perhaps some behavior changes with her fellow crew members, perhaps abused security procedures before could have prevented this.

Then there is the loss of the investment in her by JetBlue including her training, and for her replacement short and long term. I bet she messed up several F/A schedules, people at JetBlue had to redo schedules with her loss.

The security set ups while they have to allow for emergency escapes, need to be restructured to prevent someone considered to have done criminal acts to get away.

Anyone who works for an airline and not part of a particular flight's crew, like flying to work from another airport or personal flying, must be subject to the same security as any other passenger.

I can tell you that TSA looked at me VERY suspiciously as I suddenly stopped in line, and waited for my companion who was 8 passengers behind me in line. As I waited, a drug dog sniffed passengers just ahead. The radios crackled "K9 about to stand down." It was 4:59pm. The agent knew that if I stood just 1 more minute, I would successfully avoid the dog.

Hassling me for waiting around a bit ordinarily looks like TSA overreach. What could be suspicious about that? But it WAS very suspicious, he was right, and I successfully avoided the dog. :D

Pellegrine

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:50 am

LAXintl wrote:
The FA plead guilty to possession and conspiracy with intent to distribute cocaine.

She faces a mandatory minimum 10-yearm sentence

http://www.10news.com/news/u-s-world/fl ... ead-guilty

Poor, poor Rihanna. LOL

AirPacific747

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:11 am

I wonder if she could have escaped to Mexico before they had found out who she was? Would Mexico hand her over to the US?

SCQ83

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:04 am

I really have a hard time thinking about why this coke was transported by air LAX-JFK.

I want to think the "hard" thing is how to smuggle 70lbs of coke into the US (giving that this is LAX, maybe overland from Mexico).

But once you are in the US, it should be relatively hassle-free to drive to the other part of the country with 70 lbs of whatever in a car trunk. So why to risk it by flying?

To me it is quite weird.

Pellegrine

Re: RE: Flight Attendant Leaves 60lbs Cocaine Behind @ LAX

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:11 am

DTWPurserBoy wrote:
Quoting PGNCS (Reply 75):Of course, and I agree completely DTWPurserBoy: I have been pulled many, many times and it's simply an annoyance. My point was that a poster was claiming it was rare, and it is not.

Strange.

Most coke in Europe comes from South America via West Africa, not flight crews.

INFINITI329

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:22 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
I really have a hard time thinking about why this coke was transported by air LAX-JFK.

I want to think the "hard" thing is how to smuggle 70lbs of coke into the US (giving that this is LAX, maybe overland from Mexico).

But once you are in the US, it should be relatively hassle-free to drive to the other part of the country with 70 lbs of whatever in a car trunk. So why to risk it by flying?

To me it is quite weird.

Two reasons in particular 1) It is actually more riskier to drive. You have to drive through 12 different jurisdictions and all it takes is one minor traffic violation to possibly get caught. 2) Using air means it will be a faster return on the investment..It takes roughly 40hrs to drive between Los Angeles and New York. If its one person it will take even longer. Flying it will be done within 5-6 hrs with less risk.

AirPacific747

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:37 pm

I don't understand, however, that crews don't get checked every time in the US. We always have to go through a metal detector and bag scanner before every flight here in Europe.

737tanker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:32 am

Some US airports,not all, have KCM (Known Crew Member). At those airports Pilots and F/As get randomly selected to go through the passenger screening.

Passedv1

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:52 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
I don't understand, however, that crews don't get checked every time in the US. We always have to go through a metal detector and bag scanner before every flight here in Europe.

What really got it going was the push-back from the flight crews about the full body scanners. There actually are some really good reasons not to screen flight crews though.

1st, allows for extremely high throughput using only 1 TSA agent. At some checkpoints in the morning at busy hubs (ie ORD) a single agent is screening 180-200 crewmembers/hour. This is huge considering the goal for a single checkpoint at a busy hub like ORD s 200/hour...but that's with 6-8 TSA agents...so the KCM is efffectively like opening a whole other screening line with 1/6-1/8 the manpower and a fraction of the capital expense.

Additionally, since TSA has to allow working crewmembers through with items that ordinary passengers can't have, KCM lessens the risk of a screener missing those same items because they accidentally thought it was in a crewmmembers bag.

My final thought is the whole premise that because a crewmember is found with drugs is proof that everyone needs to be screened all of a sudden. The purpose of all this screening is not to find drugs but to keep the air transport system safe. If the purpose of all this screening were to find drugs...it would be deemed unconstitutional.

Really one last thing - the system worked. She was selected for a random, caught, she's going to go to jail for a long time. If anyone else is thinking about doing something similar they are either not going to do it or at least have a better escape plan.

ltbewr

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Passedv1 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
I

My final thought is the whole premise that because a crew member is found with drugs is proof that everyone needs to be screened all of a sudden. The purpose of all this screening is not to find drugs but to keep the air transport system safe. If the purpose of all this screening were to find drugs...it would be deemed unconstitutional.

Really one last thing - the system worked. She was selected for a random, caught, she's going to go to jail for a long time. If anyone else is thinking about doing something similar they are either not going to do it or at least have a better escape plan.

That is part of the point I made months ago. Good security agents are or should be trained in spotting those who may be trying to 'get away' with crimes for a check as well as truly 'random' detailed checks to discourage not only crimes like drug transportation but potential terrorism.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos