Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

9w748capt

RE: Two Explosions At BRU Pt 2.

Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:28 pm

For our Belgian a.netters (and French, and Turkish non-supporters of ISIS, and people from all countries which have been victims of Islamic terror), my heart goes out to y'all.

I have to ask though - why has Belgium basically allowed unlimited immigration from Morocco/Turkey etc? These people have been in Brussels a long time - most of these guys' parents are the ones that immigrated. They had plenty of time to assimilate. If these idiots hate Europe and western civilization so much - why don't they just GTFO? And Belgium - once they realized that these immigrants are just staying in ghettos like Molenbeek instead of assimilating - why don't they cut back? If not cease allowing unlimited numbers of these immigrants who have clearly no respect for their way of life?

And I'm the child of immigrants FWIW.

bralo20

Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:48 pm

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 151):
I have to ask though - why has Belgium basically allowed unlimited immigration from Morocco/Turkey etc? These people have been in Brussels a long time - most of these guys' parents are the ones that immigrated. They had plenty of time to assimilate.

This is not a discussion for this topic and should be held elsewhere. But i'll give you a very short answer: Back in the old days (dating to for example the coal mines in Belgium) our country needed labourers for jobs that Belgians wouldn't do (or found they weren't paid enough) and this they allowed immigrants to come over, first there were the italians, then Turkish followed by Morracans. Most of them integrated or adapted well, certainly the older generations. These days some younger generations don't adapt well. That's about all I'll say about it. And since some might think it's about religion: it definately has nothing to do with any religion at all. proof are the older generations who adapted well in our country, we and them are living peacefully together. We, Belgians, don't care much about religions at all, while most of the native Belgians might be Catholic, 90% of them (including me) will only go to or even near a church for a baptism, a communion at the ages of 6 & 12 (and even that is becoming rare), a wedding (and most of the church weddings are done for show, not for religion) and some funerals. So we don't (and excuse my French) give a fuck if one is Catholic, Islamic, Budhist, Atheïst, or whatever believe there is on earth.

bralo20

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Some news about BRU (fresh):

- Another deceased victim has been found
- Shortly ago a wall collapsed during the forensic investigation

No further information (yet) wetter it was a structural wall or not that collapsed.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:17 pm

Fox and Friends brought up the question of traveling to Europe this morning. They poo poo'd it. One host suggesting going to Epcot if you wanted to see what Europe looked like. Another asked what was wrong with Palm Beach. It was still on there from trying to see election results last night. Just shook my head.

florens

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:37 pm

EY and QR have planes inbound BRU; UA's 772 positions back to the States as UA2143 and EK is on the way back to DXB from DUS.
Kind regards, Florens

TKA380

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:24 pm

Is EY55 going to land at BRU or is it going to redirect to AMS?
Is this flight even carrying PAX?

TKA380

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:27 pm

Also, why did SN203 depart?

BubbleFrog

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:31 pm

Probably the reason mentioned before with SN203. Flying out empty to get stranded passengers back.
Absolute Relativist

factsonly

Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:04 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 150):
No news from Jet Airways yet but frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if whenever their planes leave BRU, it's for the last time.

Apparently Jet Airways is ferrying its A330s to AMS on Thursday 24 March 2016.

Schedule for the Jet Airways 24/March/2016:

9W1227/1227 24MAR A333 1200/1400 BRU-AMS
9W1229/1227 24MAR A333 1400/1600 BRU-AMS
9W1229/1229 24MAR A333 1600/1800 BRU-AMS

bralo20

Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:58 pm

According to the latest information the airport will at least remain closed on Friday. At this point the forensic investigation is still on going on site and no damage assessment has been made yet. It's unclear when the airport terminals will be released from the investigation.

TKA380

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:28 pm

Quoting factsonly (Reply 159):

9W229 appears to be heading for DEL not AMS.

mrv85

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Quoting TKA380 (Reply 156):
Is EY55 going to land at BRU or is it going to redirect to AMS?

EY55 landed at DUS. An ET Cargo went to Liege.

Quoting factsonly (Reply 159):
Apparently Jet Airways is ferrying its A330s to AMS on Thursday 24 March 2016.

Given the fact that they are ferried to AMS instead of India, I guess they will be using AMS to ferry out some stranded passengers before the actual AMS schedule starts this weekend?

factsonly

Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:14 pm

Quoting TKA380 (Reply 161):
9W229 appears to be heading for DEL not AMS.

Please note 9W229 is not 9W1229.

Also SN is ferrying A319 OO-SNN from LHR as BEL9904 on Wednesday evening 23 March:

http://www.flightradar24.com/BEL9904/92fb861

mrv85

Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:43 pm

SN have stated to start limited operations from Antwerp en Liege tomorrow and Friday, hence the repositioning flights such as the A319 from LHR to LGG.

Furthermore it has confirmed that the 5 A330s going to Africa will be picking up stranded passengers and land at other European airports tomorrow morning.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/36484/Aansl...-op-een-namiddag-afgehandeld.dhtml

flyingfool

Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:36 pm

Quoting mrv85 (Reply 162):
Given the fact that they are ferried to AMS instead of India, I guess they will be using AMS to ferry out some stranded passengers before the actual AMS schedule starts this weekend?

Correct, Jet brought 15 buses with passengers from BRU to AMS tonight. they will depart at Thursday from AMS to BOM, DEL and YYZ.
No plans to have other 9W flights to AMS before the weekend.

Many flights to AMS, and probably other airports around BRU, have been upgauged to bigger equipment.
OS for example has 3 out of 4 flights today operated by A321, where normally F100's or A319's are used.
EL AL has the afternoon flight operated by B744.

Planned SN Ops Thursday:
LGG 44 departures
ANR 26 departures

Planned SN Ops Friday:
LGG 66 departures
ANR 30 departures

Furthermore AZ / JP / IB / VY will operate to/from LGG

SN schedule for 24 March:
https://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-be/misc/new-schedule-24mar.aspx

[Edited 2016-03-23 15:46:36]

[Edited 2016-03-23 15:48:57]

Airbus747

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:13 am

Quoting hoons90 (Reply 145):
He's actually talking about pure racial profiling--an overly simplistic, band-aid "solution" that ignores the multifaceted nature of terrorism and creates disconcerting implications for the principles of fairness and liberty that Western societies have worked hard to achieve.
Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 146):
Ever heard of the rule of law and all people having the right to be treated equal in our free society?

Screening People according to the way they look is by far the most racist thing imaginable and the day this happens, our freedom is truly lost and our liberal society is gone.

I perfectly understand.

But I'm talking practical solutions, not idealism; especially when safety is at stake.

Aren't there other cases where we sacrifice freedoms and other idealisms in order to preserve safety or some other practical reason?
e.g.
- curfews
- stop on freedom of movement during red alert
- sanctions, even if they harm entire countries
- and the list goes on
- Why not add racial profiling? I'm not even saying not full-fledged martial law, just one section of society that's more likely to contain the culprits.

Regarding the socio-cultural impact of that, I'm no expert of course. But as I said, I myself am an immigrant and look like one. I really wouldn't mind racial profiling. Those who do mind are either trolls or the ones who wish to stir chaos. Ignore them.

To the best of my knowledge and experience, freedom works best when it is kept safe from free-riders and abusers.

flyingfool

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:19 am

Quoting mrv85 (Reply 164):
Furthermore it has confirmed that the 5 A330s going to Africa will be picking up stranded passengers and land at other European airports tomorrow morning.

The A330 Africa flights will all operate to ZRH

Mortyman

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:41 am

Quoting Airbus747 (Reply 166):
- curfews
- stop on freedom of movement during red alert

These are usually something that last for short periods only

- sanctions, even if they harm entire countries

Sanctions have proven time and time again that does not work.

Giving up our freedoms is the same as saying that the terorists have won. They have then achieved what the wanted.

[Edited 2016-03-23 17:43:26]

blueflyer

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:16 am

The airport is now open to cargo and g/a flights in addition to positioning flights. There are a few foreign aircraft besides Jet's on the apron still (Iberia, Delta, Etihad,...).

Airport authorities have announced they have not yet been able to assess the damage to prepare a recovery plan, and no longer have an estimate as to when they'll have access to the terminal.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:35 am

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 106):
The US people seem to dream that since they have done a lot, they are pretty safe.

I'm not sure how accurate that is, though I'm not sure how you measure it. I personally am always thinking about such things, but I don't "worry" about it, per se. I'm just more aware. I do think that a lot has been done behind the scenes to help curb terrorist activities here in the US but I'm expecting that this means that we will either see very small attacks or something really big. I hope for neither.

Quoting flashmeister (Reply 112):
Folks. Seriously. Please knock this crap off. There's a thread in Non-Av that is ready and waiting for you to get as political as you'd like.

This thread is not the place for that. Thanks.

Thank you.

Quoting Airbus747 (Reply 123):
Well, if you look at all the photos of recent Islam-related terrorists, they all appear to share the same ethnic features. Almost all are Middle Eastern/North African. Am I wrong?

It doesn't matter. Skin color will not define future terrorist activities just as it hasn't in the past. I get what you are saying, but it just isn't practical or appropriate.

Quoting yoni (Reply 130):
You do know that many European Caucasian-looking persons have been recruited by ISIS.

And more will be in the future. Plus, I'm sure some "Caucasian" folks look pretty "Middle Eastern" after living out in the desert sun for a few years.

Quoting Flyingsottsman (Reply 135):
With all due respect what was you thinking people were
going to talk about when this subject came up "What flights have been diverted from BRU".

Uh, actually, yes. It's a Civil Aviation forum. Non-Av stuff goes in the Non-Av forum, not because it has no relation to the topic but because it just stirs up a hornets nest and ruins what could otherwise be a good discussion.

I think a review of the forum rules would explain it better than me, but I haven't read them in a while so can't site a specific "rule".

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 140):
Normal passengers have to endure passport and identity checks at each and every border. That must apply to refugees as well, They have to be detained until their identify is verified, waving them through should no longer an option

Exactly. It's like people who lock their front doors but leave the windows wide open.

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 168):
Giving up our freedoms is the same as saying that the terorists have won. They have then achieved what the wanted.

I agree, though I do wonder if "giving up our freedoms" is really on some of these guy's radar? Or are they just intent on killing as many [fill in the blank] as possible in a blaze of [glory]?

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

hoons90

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:17 am

But I'm talking practical solutions, not idealism; especially when safety is at stake.

Exploring your solution through the discipline of policy analysis, a "practical" solution as you describe inherently subsumes a positivist approach that requires the existence of predictable outcomes and certainty. Since there is a paucity of empirical data that can quantify the net benefits and costs of such a policy as you describe, a post-positivist approach must be used. As such, I believe it is problematic to label your solution as "practical" in the first place.

If we look at your (now non-practical) solution through a post-positivist approach, your solution is still problematic, since an important tenet of it is the deontological requirements on the part of decision makers. In other words, it is important for politicians to take into account the moral (in)sufficiency of a given policy initiative in order for the policy to gain legitimacy.

Your solution doesn't fit the criteria of either approaches to public policy.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

SCQ83

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:35 am

I wonder why no more airlines fly to CRL. Is it that packed with the Ryanair BRU flights?

CRL is the best facility and has very good transportation links to Brussels and the Benelux, which is not the case for LGG and ANR.

Quoting flyingfool (Reply 165):
Furthermore AZ / JP / IB / VY will operate to/from LGG

Also UX.

blueflyer

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:25 am

ANA will operate two flights out of DUS today and tomorrow to bring stranded passengers and crew home, then suspend service at least until March 31st inclusive.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 172):
I wonder why no more airlines fly to CRL. Is it that packed with the Ryanair BRU flights?

You've answered your own question. With the extra Ryanair flights, CRL is maxing out its capacity. LGG is normally very underutilized, and they have more apron space than they know what to do with in the daytime when TNT's planes are waiting out at outstations.

TheSonntag

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:55 am

I agree with you that Action must be taken, but there are some lines which cannot be crossed, and I do not think those measures are an appropriate answer, or even a solution.

Lets face it, apparently, the attackers were known. But the Police certainly didn't manage to catch them in time.

I do not believe public Screenings and more Police on the road are of any help. The real security measures are invisible. That is where we need more, and apparently, this is where the cooperation in EUrope simply isn't good enough.

florens

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:35 am

According to a Swiss aviation forum, there are following SN operations out of ZRH today:

OO-SNB A320 10:05 LGG
OO-DWA RJ1H 10:30 BRU
OO-SFM A333 11:35 NSI/DLA
OO-SFN A333 12:00 FIH

All times local!

[Edited 2016-03-24 02:35:42]
Kind regards, Florens

ltbewr

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:59 am

It is beginning to sound like BRU as to passenger flights will be shut down for the foreseeable future, likely for months due to severe operational and structural damage to the main terminal building. While some temporary repairs may be considered to reopen, it will be at reduced capacity for likely years, some airlines may have to move permanently or no longer serve BRU.
A replacement or fully rebuilt terminal building will have to meet modern and more extensive security standards, the costs will likely be in the several 100 Million Euros, not all of it covered by insurance. There is also the 100's of jobs at the airport that will be lost from the suspension of service and reduced capacity upon reopening, the overall economic costs to Belgium, the BRU region, to other countries and airlines from disrupted service will be in the Euro Billion + over the next year alone.

SCQ83

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:33 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 176):
It is beginning to sound like BRU as to passenger flights will be shut down for the foreseeable future, likely for months due to severe operational and structural damage to the main terminal building. While some temporary repairs may be considered to reopen, it will be at reduced capacity for likely years, some airlines may have to move permanently or no longer serve BRU.

A replacement or fully rebuilt terminal building will have to meet modern and more extensive security standards, the costs will likely be in the several 100 Million Euros, not all of it covered by insurance. There is also the 100's of jobs at the airport that will be lost from the suspension of service and reduced capacity upon reopening, the overall economic costs to Belgium, the BRU region, to other countries and airlines from disrupted service will be in the Euro Billion + over the next year alone.

That makes me wonder about the future of Brussels Airlines, which was already quite troubled before those attacks.

It seems Ryanair is the less affected carrier in Brussels now. At the end of the day they are the only major carrier operating in Belgium that is keeping all their operations as of today.

factsonly

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:18 pm

Jet Airways is on the move, ferry flight for VT-JWU to AMS as 9W1229:

http://www.flightradar24.com/JAI1229/9313ec7

PanHAM

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:29 pm

Mot a Terrorist attack but a large fire crippled DUS about 20 years ago. It took a couple of days to start building up the schedule again and Airlines like LTU moved completely to a large tent. There will be severe disruptions for soem time but will not be so that BRU shuts down completely.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

florens

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:37 pm

Apparently all Africa routes will be flown to/from ZRH from tomorrow:

Arrivals
0615 SN1379 from Douala,
0630 SN1469 from Entebbe,
0800 SN1205 from Banjul,
1400 SN1255 from Ouagadougou,
1400 SN359 from Kinshasa

Departures
1040 SN357 to Kinshasa
1105 SN203 to Dakar
1135 SN369 to Douala
1600 SN241 to Freetown
1600 SN277 to Accra
Kind regards, Florens

smittythepirate

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:58 pm

Here is an interesting image of the flight patterns at BRU when the attack happened.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2016/03/brussels-flights-final.gif

[Edited 2016-03-24 05:59:54]
www.jbweather.com

OA260

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 176):
It is beginning to sound like BRU as to passenger flights will be shut down for the foreseeable future

If this is the case then I wonder if the Belgian Govt. / EU will set up a fund where SN can claim some of the costs back a long with some other companies who are shut down.

mict

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:59 pm

Isn't SN (or any airline) insured for these kind of stuff?

[Edited 2016-03-24 06:59:23]

runway23

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:47 pm

Quoting mict (Reply 183):
Isn't SN (or any airline) insured for these kind of stuff?

Would probably depend if their policy includes or excludes war or terrorist activities or has a liability/claim cap. If it is excluded or limited then I wouldn't want to be SN right now.

United787

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:36 pm

Quoting Independence76 (Reply 81):

Does anybody know what ticket counters were potentially targeted? AA confirmed they were not hit.

I am wondering the same thing. Do we know anything about where exactly the two bombs went off? And where the 3rd unexploded bomb was found? Reading CNN it looks like one of the bombs was near security but not in it and one was really close if not in the DL area????

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/24/europe...ls-victims-missing-dead/index.html

"Stephanie and Justin Shults, a couple from Tennessee who have lived in Belgium since 2014, were dropping off Stephanie's mother, Carolyn Moore, at the airport. Moore, who was just about to walk through security, was knocked over by an explosion and is having trouble hearing in one ear."

"Jim Cain, a former U.S. ambassador to Denmark, told CNN that the Pinczowskis were in the Delta ticket line at the airport to board a flight to JFK. Alexander Pinczowski was talking to his mother on the phone when the line dropped. The families haven't heard anything since."

OO-VEG

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:28 pm

Quoting florens (Reply 180):

Apparently all Africa routes will be flown to/from ZRH from tomorrow:

Interesting move, I would have guessed for a move to CGN, high-speed rail connection available with Brussels and Cologne and capacity for Long Haul flights on a LH-group hub (though connections are quite different compared to ZRH).

Quoting United787 (Reply 185):
Reading CNN it looks like one of the bombs was near security but not in it and one was really close if not in the DL area????

The AA & DL check in area's are quite on the opposite ends. Where DL is in the old terminal C building, which has very thick walls to the main departure area. If there was a blast there, it surely won't affect as much of the operations as a blast near AA check-in.

If they hit the connector (the new building connecting the A pier to the main building) then there must be quite some rerouting. Perhaps they still have the old tunnel open which you had to use before.

COEWR787

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:36 pm

Quoting mrv85 (Reply 162):

According to an article in yesterday's (Wednesday's) Times of India, Jet Airways has bussed all its stranded passengers to Amsterdam and plan to fly them out of there to their respective destinations ASAP. They apparently commandeered as many as 20+ buses to carry out this transfer from Brussels to Amsterdam.

bralo20

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:51 pm

According to some info on Luchtzak work is in progress to build a temporary check-in area in the neighbourhood of the new "connector".

Also according to some report there the damage to the terminal is extensive, at the Délifrance area the area is completely demolished and you have even free view of the tarmac (which can mean there is structural damage).

Now regarding the attacks itself: according to the media it seems that the plan was to have co-ordinated multiple attacks with gun shooters in the center of Brussels, the arrest of Abdeslam & co, the killing of another suspect prevented this part of the attacks to happen and probably triggered the rushed attacks this week (also according to the media the attacks were planned to be executed on easter monday).

OA260

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Quoting Bralo20 (Reply 188):
Also according to some report there the damage to the terminal is extensive, at the Délifrance area the area is completely demolished and you have even free view of the tarmac (which can mean there is structural damage).

Would not be surprised from the reports I read. Imagine if the 3rd one had gone off which was reported as being the largest of the 3.

From what has been reported they could have done a lot more which thank god they didnt manage. Some finger pointing already being made by Turkey about how they warned the Belgian authorities about one of the attackers. Not sure whether it is helpful at this time but statements being made all the same.

bralo20

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:25 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 189):
Would not be surprised from the reports I read. Imagine if the 3rd one had gone off which was reported as being the largest of the 3.

Unfortunately the 3rd one did explode inside the terminal. The explosives were extremely volatile and thus the bomb squad opted to detonate the explosives on the spot where they were found. Fortunately they only exploded after every survivor was evacuated.

United787

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:38 pm

Quoting Bralo20 (Reply 190):
Unfortunately the 3rd one did explode inside the terminal. The explosives were extremely volatile and thus the bomb squad opted to detonate the explosives on the spot where they were found. Fortunately they only exploded after every survivor was evacuated.

Were they able to cover the explosive device with something to deaden or soften the explosion?

bralo20

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:45 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 191):
Were they able to cover the explosive device with something to deaden or soften the explosion?

Not sure. The official version is that it was a controlled detonation, however, there are rumours that it was actually an uncontrolled detonation and that the explosives exploded by accident. But you'll probably never get any confirmation about that  

The 3th explosion was captured on camera (not sure if it's viewable outside Belgium):
http://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/1836...mengordel-tot-ontploffing-gebracht

sassiciai

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:01 pm

Quoting OO-VEG (Reply 186):
If they hit the connector (the new building connecting the A pier to the main building) then there must be quite some rerouting. Perhaps they still have the old tunnel open which you had to use before.

The connector is behind security checks, the bombers didn't make it there, they were in the "open" check in area, open in the sense that there were no security checks to enter the area, lots of automatic doors onto the road that runs past the departure level

Like many airports world wide, I think, all airport access by road, rail, and public bus services arrive essentially at a single point of entry (spread at BRU over several levels), but essentially at the same place. Not immediately evident how this can be easily rectified. Temptation will be to fix up the current system to get it moving again, and then - if ever "then" arrives - to think longer term!

I live just south of BRU - I need my local airport, please! CRU is OK for some types of flights, and we plan to go to Prague next month. But a flight in May to HKG via AUH needs BRU to be operational! Dont want to be asked to go to a central point in Brussels for a 6am bus departure to Dusseldorf!

OO-VEG

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:59 pm

Quoting sassiciai (Reply 193):
The connector is behind security checks, the bombers didn't make it there, they were in the "open" check in area, open in the sense that there were no security checks to enter the area, lots of automatic doors onto the road that runs past the departure level

It looks the explosions took place on these 2 spots:

https://www.airliners.net/uf/view.fil...2295&filename=1458849066sUZsqI.jpg

BigSaabowski

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Quoting OO-VEG (Reply 194):

It looks the explosions took place on these 2 spots:

I don't believe that this graphic is accurate. The information I have, indicates that the first two bombs detonated in rows 2 and 11. Rows 11-14 are in the older building. I don't know where the third semi-controlled detonation took place.

BigSaabowski

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:29 pm

I found an article with a few more details:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...rope/brussels-attacks-graphic.html

I don't think that the aerial shot is accurate as it shows both explosions taking place in the newer terminal building, but there's some good information there.

factsonly

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:50 pm

United will operate an additional EWR-AMS-EWR B772 service on Thursday March, 24 2016, returning the next day:

Friday March, 25 2016 at AMS:
- arr. 10.00 UA2064 B772 from EWR
- dep. 12.00 UA2065 B772 to EWR.

Delta will run an additional JFK-AMS-JFK B763 service on Thursday March 24:

- arr. 07.00 DL 9856 New York JFK Boeing 767-300 ER Delta Air Lines
- dep. 12.00 DL9857 New York JFK Boeing 767-300 ER Delta Air Lines

[Edited 2016-03-24 14:54:21]

bralo20

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:10 pm

Not much news about BRU except that it's still an active crime scene and thus not being released to Brussels Airport Company (BAC) which means that no damage has been assessed (provisional emergency stability repairs have been done on Tuesday by the fire department & civil protection service to allow the investigators a safe environment). But BAC is building temporary shelters to use as a check-in area so it might reopen gradually next week. Some airlines however (like Thomas Cook for example) have decided already to operate from alternative airports until April 1st.

vinniewinnie

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:21 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 177):
hat makes me wonder about the future of Brussels Airlines, which was already quite troubled before those attacks.

How so? 9W move to AMS represents 6 flights a day. Not a sign of trouble given Brussels Airlines recent expansion.

At the end of the day one could imagine reduced operations whereby Brussels Airlines would shuttle Long-haul passengers from BRU to a star alliance Airport (FRA or MUC), then fly them onwards to Africa/US.

For short haul flights, depending on destination, some of the flights could continue operating from Antwerp and Liege, whereas others could continue flying out a lower capacity BRU.

What I hope is that for once, Belgium's legendary inefficiency will not hamper rebuilding work.

OO-VEG

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:08 pm

Quoting BigSaabowski (Reply 195):
I don't believe that this graphic is accurate. The information I have, indicates that the first two bombs detonated in rows 2 and 11. Rows 11-14 are in the older building. I don't know where the third semi-controlled detonation took place.

Looking at the general photo's, the main blast took plase around rows 5-6, but indeed the second attack is in the other hall near the Delta gate.. there are new photo's of the damage visible.