Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Brick

RE: Denver International Shut Down Due To WX

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:39 pm

The past few diversions from DEN that I've seen LH do, they always cancel the DEN-FRA return flight and ferry the aircraft back to FRA from the diversion city instead of going to DEN. I have to assume the passengers are accommodated on other flights, even if they are not *A carriers.

I have no idea why BA ferried to DEN only to ferry to Cardiff the same day. On Thursday, the LHR-DEN flight made it in, so there was no cancellations or stranded passengers to deal with. So I'm at a loss to understand this reasoning.

Both LH and BA ferrying empty aircraft back to Europe after a DEN diversion...that has to cost a lot of coin.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

roseflyer

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:51 pm

Quoting Brick (Reply 50):

I have no idea why BA ferried to DEN only to ferry to Cardiff the same day. On Thursday, the LHR-DEN flight made it in, so there was no cancellations or stranded passengers to deal with. So I'm at a loss to understand this reasoning.

Are we sure that BA ferried empty to DEN? They may have put passengers in a hotel Wednesday night and then flown them to DEN on Thursday with the same crew that flew in from LHR. Ferrying out empty may make sense since everyone had already been rebooked or accommodated on other flights.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

a380787

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:54 pm

DEN absolutely got slammed. Just counting the day of the airport shutdown, 663 flights departing DEN were cancelled.

To put that in perspective, the 2nd and 3rd highest on the list of cancellations are MSP at 51 and ORD at 38.

Brick

Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:21 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 52):
DEN absolutely got slammed. Just counting the day of the airport shutdown, 663 flights departing DEN were cancelled.

That lines up with the Denver Int'l spokesman quoting 1300 flights were cancelled on Wednesday.

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 51):
Are we sure that BA ferried empty to DEN? They may have put passengers in a hotel Wednesday night and then flown them to DEN on Thursday with the same crew that flew in from LHR.

BA could have very well done that. If the LAS-DEN flight did not have passengers, maybe the flight was operated to pick up stranded crew before returning to the UK. Why to Cardiff though and not LHR?

ScottB

Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:12 pm

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 49):
The way interline agreements work is usually that it would cost about the same for Lufthansa to rebook on delta as it does United. Maybe there were enough seats between delta and United.

There actually might have been more seats available on Delta than United, given that UA would be also trying to get its own passengers rebooked on its own network, which had already been disrupted by several hundred cancellations at DEN.

a380787

Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:15 pm

Quoting Brick (Reply 53):

Quoting a380787 (Reply 52):

That lines up with the Denver Int'l spokesman quoting 1300 flights were cancelled on Wednesday.

I said *departing*. The tally is 663 dept 640 arr, for a total of 1303.

Brick

Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 55):
I said *departing*. The tally is 663 dept 640 arr, for a total of 1303.

Yes, I was confirming what you said. 1300 quoted by DIA spokesman assumes roughly half were arrivals and the other half were departures.

Quoting ScottB (Reply 54):
There actually might have been more seats available on Delta than United, given that UA would be also trying to get its own passengers rebooked on its own network, which had already been disrupted by several hundred cancellations at DEN.

That's my thought too. UA was well into numerous DEN cancellations well before LH made the decision to divert. On a normal week, there isn't a lot of availability on the UA ORD-DEN routes close in. Add in spring break and the fact the weather in ORD was forecasted to be not-so-great Wed night into Thursday, I wouldn't be surprised if LH weighed all of this in their decision to go to DTW instead of ORD, MSP, or SLC. While DL had a lot of cancellations at DEN along with every other carrier, they may have provided better options for LH passengers to go DTW-DEN, DTW-MSP-DEN, or even DTW-SLC-DEN compared to waiting for availability on UA ORD-DEN non-stops.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos