Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

raddek
Topic Author

Spirit Begins Service To SEA 24 March

Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:43 pm

I was looking to see a post and couldn't find one. I know NK is very little talked about on a.net so I thought it would be nice to give it a little attention as NK is the first new airline to come to SEA in a few years.

They are starting with 2x LAX service this month, and then APR they will have 2x LAS.

Curious to see what other markets they may go after in the future if there becomes solid success in SEA?

dc10lover

RE: Spirit Begins Service To SEA 24 March

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:23 pm

NK will fly out of the largest markets from SEA.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

OzarkD9S

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:49 pm

Quoting dc10lover (Reply 1):

Yep. ORD. DEN. DFW. Sooner or later.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

raddek
Topic Author

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:50 am

What about them dipping their feet into ANC at some point?

roseflyer

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:57 am

Strange time to be starting SEA. The fare war between Alaska and Delta is not over. There is lots of competition and low fares. It is not a good sign when even southwest is pulling back.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

TWA772LR

Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:13 am

Quoting raddek (Reply 3):
What about them dipping their feet into ANC at some point?

Alaska is a tough market to crack if you're not already there. And AS will make sure you don't stick for long if you choose to come.

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 4):
Strange time to be starting SEA. The fare war between Alaska and Delta is not over. There is lots of competition and low fares. It is not a good sign when even southwest is pulling back.

With NK being the bottom of the barrel in fares, that shouldn't be a problem for them. If anything, it'll hurt DL more.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:20 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 5):
Alaska is a tough market to crack if you're not already there. And AS will make sure you don't stick for long if you choose to come.

Fares lately have been less than 1/2 the historical "$400" mark that I've seen for years. Fares in a number of markets out of SEA right now are running really cheap. Upper $80's RT to LAS. $120ish RT to SNA. Etc. I actually priced out an itinerary on Spirit SEA-LAX for September against a WN itinerary SEA-SNA and once you make it a somewhat comparable experience, the NK fare was much higher than WN.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

lhpdx

Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:26 am

I wonder if Spirit will eventually relocate to Paine field once the terminal is constructed......Seems like the perfect fit......

raddek
Topic Author

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:04 am

Well BLI could be a great business idea as well. They do it in IAG and also PBG. But that's a different topic.

The fare war is great for the consumer. But NK has the upper hand on cost. They run a lot of specials too, and you can find fares dirt cheap on NK if you look hard enough.

The business model is different than most. But a very successful one because it attracts a certain type of price sensitive pax. They may not always be cheapest, but NK now in town will keep those prices lower now I suppose in the future. Its the "NK Effect " lol

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:15 am

Yeah i cant see Spirit failing. They have a model no one else has and can move in on large o&d routes. They should have no problem launching SEA. Spirit has their model down to like a real science.

raddek
Topic Author

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:22 am

It was funny going online and watching the local media do their special reports on it, trying to show the public about things about NK that to them are probably unheard of in them parts lol

PlanesNTrains

Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:13 am

For kicks, I just went on Spirit's website to see if I could book a dirt cheap SEA-LAX-SEA same-day itinerary to do a In-N-Out run.   Cheapest I could find was $68RT, but before I could get into the booking phase the website knocked me out due to high volume. $68RT is indeed dirt cheap but when you add on the fees for the Double Double and Large Fry Animal Style you are pushing $80. Not sure it's worth it.  

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

OB1504

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:17 am

With NK being the bottom of the barrel in fares, that shouldn't be a problem for them. If anything, it'll hurt DL more.

It might be a bigger problem for AS since DL can afford to bleed a little.

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 6):
I actually priced out an itinerary on Spirit SEA-LAX for September against a WN itinerary SEA-SNA and once you make it a somewhat comparable experience, the NK fare was much higher than WN.

Spirit is usually more expensive than their full-service competitors if you make it a "somewhat comparable experience", but by that point most people have already bought the ticket on NK and are committed.

Quoting raddek (Reply 8):
Well BLI could be a great business idea as well. They do it in IAG and also PBG. But that's a different topic.

Lately NK has been moving away from secondary airports like ACY and LBE and going head-to-head against the legacies at their established hubs. They've been price-matching Spirit aggressively which is great for me as a loyal AA flyer who can pay NK-level fares.

MIflyer12

Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:51 am

Why is NK going to hurt DL more? AS has a lot more capacity SEA-LAX (and SEA - other soCal airports) than DL does.

HPRamper

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:27 pm

Quoting MIflyer12 (Reply 13):
Why is NK going to hurt DL more? AS has a lot more capacity SEA-LAX (and SEA - other soCal airports) than DL does.

Might be anecdotal, but I've noticed a lot of market pairs out of SEA wherein DL is undercutting AS by quite a bit to try to nab market share. If Spirit comes in and undercuts those further, I would surmise DL would be hurt more by losing both the yield and then the Spirit market share.

AS seems to be enjoying such a position of strength at SEA that they can charge a premium on many routes and still attract loyal passengers.

raddek
Topic Author

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:00 pm

I agree that AS in SEA has among the most loyal fliers of any airline in any hub I've ever seen. NK will grab it's share of pax and keep their planes full, but it will be at the cost of DL the most since AS has a far more loyal flier base out of SEA than DL does.

PBG and IAG have stayed at similar levels lately. So no real growth there. ACY is another story as the city and economy has fallen on very hard times.

I was very shocked though that NK wanted to join the tango in SEA with the fare war. Just more metal and better fare competition for all  

Spacepope

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:07 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 11):
$68RT is indeed dirt cheap but when you add on the fees for the Double Double and Large Fry Animal Style you are pushing $80. Not sure it's worth it.  

Maybe for you!
The last of the famous international playboys

TWA772LR

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:15 pm

Quoting MIflyer12 (Reply 13):

AS is king in SEA, and one of the largest intra-west coast carriers. DL is slugging it out with them, as well as rapidly trying to establish a major pacific gateway there. They are throwing a lot of money at a hub that they are having a tough time with because they are slugging it out with AS and are lacking a JV partner on the other side of the Pacific in Asia, unlike AA in LAX and UA in SFO, and IDK about you, but I wouldn't want to connect to anywhere in the US through SEA except for Alaska. AS is also more valuable per share than DL. DL is going in hard and fast into a fortress hub with a well entrenched competition, and NK has nothing to lose.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

raddek
Topic Author

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:06 pm

I fully agree that NK has nothing to lose. They are after a different kind of pax anyways.
But as posted earlier, there will probably be some more growth in the near future. I can see maybe some redeyes to DTW and possibly DFW or FLL. They may even try PHX.

F9Animal

Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:17 am

Alaska is focused on its own operation. NK will do just fine in Seattle. As others have mentioned, Alaska has a very faithful following here. Spirit just wants a little piece of the pie.

I will give Spirit a try when I fly to Vegas. I know the service sucks, and the seats are crammed. But, I can handle 2 hours. I have found some excellent fares on them to LAS.
I Am A Different Animal!!

baw716

Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:28 am

NK is most welcome in Seattle. Really.

They will suck off the low yield bottom feeding crap traffic (aka you absolutely positively must have the lowest fare types) and that hurts DL than it does AS. Why? DL's unit costs are higher and they are desperately trying to win back some of the traffic they are losing to NK in other markets and having them up against them in the SEA-LAX market is BAD news. With everybody and their mother flying SEA-LAX, it's going to be good news for passengers in the PNW for awhile.

AS will take a hit, but a much smaller one, since their unit costs are lower. Plus, the flyers that go on Spirit they don't want anyway.

WN will take a hit, because for a carrier who is known for their low fares, they have some of the highest fares in and out of Seattle...except in the west coast, of course.

VX and B6...unsure. They have their own unique markets and while I think that VX will take a bigger hit than B6 (more exposure to the west coast), hard to know long term how this will play.

BTW, don't knock Spirit too much...they do what they advertise. They provide cheap, safe transportation. You want anything else? You pay for it. The experience will suck, but then again, if you want the lowest fare? It will be NK. If you want value for your $$$, then you will pick someone else (AS or VX on the west coast), WN if you are going anywhere and of course, there are the big 3...

Where will they put all these planes???

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

BA

Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:53 am

It is not a good sign when even southwest is pulling back.

Not anymore, they're switching STL, HOU, and MCI to year-round leaving ATL as their only seasonal route from Seattle.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

raddek
Topic Author

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:16 am

The experience you get on NK will be very basic but safe. Point A to point B. Fair and simple. I think spending a few extra bucks on the exit row or Big Front Seats will make your experience like night and day. NK will save you money if you know how to fly them right and know how it all works.

nkops

Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:43 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 12):

Lately NK has been moving away from secondary airports like ACY and LBE and going head-to-head against the legacies at their established hubs

Didn't the new CEO say he wanted to do the exact opposite?
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

LN-MOW

Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:17 pm

Strange time to be starting SEA

No, it's perfect. You can't get enough seats out of SEA in the summer. Good time to make a stronghold. Wih Spirit's fares, they will add even more traffic from the Greyhound-segmemt' and also hopefully help to drive the genereal fare level down, The majors' record profits is a clear sign that they have some leverage ...
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

threeifbyair

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:14 pm

I don't think AS or DL has a lot to worry about just yet. NK's sweet spot is the people who fly a 1-2-3 times a year and never get elite status. If you're not very tall (so pitch doesn't matter) and don't bring a lot of stuff with you NK is probably a great deal.

NK doesn't get many corporate contracts - it doesn't even show up on my company's travel system. We only got WN this year. AS and DL are going to continue to do battle for business travelers.

lightsaber

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:18 pm

The market is good, an excellent time for any carrier to expand. NK has determined SEA has potential. Looking at their existing cities, I agree.

Quoting dc10lover (Reply 1):

I suspect they will slowly connect markets. It will be interesting how Spirit expands. With more aircraft on order than their current fleet, it will be very interesting. Now some will be A321s replacing A319s, but they will fragment the network.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

raddek
Topic Author

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Well the success that NK has had in PDX is a sign that going to SEA made even more sense, since SEA has a larger O&D market and just more money to be thrown around.

NK is getting I believe 2 aircraft this month, both A321's. The rest of their orders are 320/321, so only time will tell what sort of equipment they may use if the routes become very successful. I'd love to see them on SEA to ANC though. That would really make a few airlines frisky. lol

UPNYGuy

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:40 pm

There is plenty of seasonal traffic out of SEA, with the AK cruises. This will be OK. I can even see NK adding more departures later.

hiflyeras

Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:42 pm

With the battle over gates in SEA I'm curious where they'll be operating out of?

BA

Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:51 am

Quoting HiflyerAS (Reply 29):
With the battle over gates in SEA I'm curious where they'll be operating out of?

They are using Concourse A.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

compensateme

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:04 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 12):
Spirit is usually more expensive than their full-service competitors if you make it a "somewhat comparable experience", but by that point most people have already bought the ticket on NK and are committed.

NK offers cheap fares; its competitors have become aggressive in pricing select flights in direct competition, but many of us who want cheaper service to stick will continue to support NK.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

raddek
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:30 am

Well that is interesting about Concourse A because a pilot said the gate report shows them using S Satellite too when needed. I think it would be cute to see a lil yellow Bus between the jumbos. Lol

wedgetail737

Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:15 am

Don't you all forget that AA is starting SEA-LAX flights with their own metal.

raddek
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:40 am

The blood bath is going to over flow on that route if any more join that party. If im not mistaken, what airlines aren't on the SEA to LAX run? Lots of players

ASFlyer

Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:06 am

Quoting raddek (Reply 27):
Well the success that NK has had in PDX is a sign that going to SEA made even more sense, since SEA has a larger O&D market and just more money to be thrown around.

I don't really think NK has been a raging success in PDX. They started with SAN and LAS service from PDX and couldn't maintain SAN. They currently offer 3 flights a day, 2 to LAS and 1 to LAX. They offer seasonal service to ORD and DFW during the summer. PDX hasn't seen the same growth that nearly every other city in the NK system has seen. I think NK does okay in PDX but I don't think they've been a raging success. If they had, they would likely have added service to so many other cities in the NK system like they have from nearly every other NK city. SEA will probably do okay because of the larger population. We'll see.

ericm2031

Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:18 am

WN is the big lone holdout on that route. They seem to still be funneling their traffic through OAK and SMF and some other cities. I'm not sure they even have much capacity in LAX right now to even add the route if they wanted, especially with the construction. They do seem to be trying to hold their own in the PNW lately with the conversion of some seasonal routes to year round at both PDX and SEA, and some additions to PDX. Maybe they're trying to sneak in some routes in PDX while DL/AS are distracted in SEA.

raddek
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:07 pm

Yeah, NK is always quick to move it's metal to the markets it feels are best for its network. But now with the new ceo at the helm, the strategies may differ from the ones before. So time will tell.
Redeye flying out of SEA would fit their model and do wellnto connect others to the east coast. Seems like NK is growing DTW lately, so that may be the next logical SEA route for them.

tb727

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:35 pm

Quoting raddek (Reply 37):
Seems like NK is growing DTW lately, so that may be the next logical SEA route for them.

That would be nice, and OAK again while I'm at it...
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

raddek
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:19 am

Why do you believe OAK would be a good choice?

tb727

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:49 pm

Quoting raddek (Reply 39):
Why do you believe OAK would be a good choice?

Sorry, I can see that was misleading, meant OAK-DTW to go along with SEA-DTW when you mentioned the growth there. I don't think SEA-OAK would be in the plans right now although WN is doing it like 6 times a day, AS 3 times, there is probably room for 1 a day for NK. Same with ANC, I don't see it happening now even though I think a daily flight could work.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Sooner787

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:27 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 2):
Yep. ORD. DEN. DFW. Sooner or later.

Hopefully DFW sooner than later. I won't fly them, but if they can lower
the fares between DFW and SEA, I'm all for it   

raddek
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:05 pm

Well remember that AA has vowed to price match and compete with NK fares out of DFW, so how low can it go?! Lol

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos