AABB777
Topic Author

DL: Official Airline Of Washington Nationals

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:14 pm

Today DL announced they will become the official airline of the Washington Nationals. More information is below. Seems to me a way for DL to put a stake in the WAS market and show their commitment to the DC region. With UA having a hub at IAD, I'm surprised UA didn't act on this sooner.

Delta is stepping up to the plate in Washington with a new five-year sponsorship agreement to be the Official Airline and Official Private Jet Carrier of the Washington Nationals.

"As a proud supporter of America's pastime, Delta is excited to welcome the Washington Nationals to the roster of MLB teams we sponsor across the country," said Tim Mapes, Delta's Senior Vice President – Marketing. "We can't wait to connect with the passionate fans at Nationals Park, and we share in their enthusiasm for a great season ahead."

Under Delta's new agreement with the Nationals, the airline will fly the team to and from every away game. Delta's signature presence at the park will also include sponsorship of the Delta Sky360 Club, a branded hospitality experience within Nationals Park and premium section of branded seating behind home plate; and permanent signage on the outfield wall, as well as home-plate, baseline rotational, out-of-town scoreboard and LED signage.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...ashington-nationals-300241868.html

a380787

RE: DL: Official Airline Of Washington Nationals

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:21 pm

It's a really weird way of marketing considering all 3 of their main rivals have hubs at WAS - AA/DCA, WN/BWI, and UA/IAD. Heck, DL's "Shuttle" service doesn't even take you to BOS.

Everything at DCA is capped by the slots, so unless they're planning for massive upgauges, there's little market-share or wallet-share that they can realistically gain from such a sponsorship campaign.

TVNWZ

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:27 pm

It's Washington. It's more than customers in the capitol.

a380787

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:31 pm

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 2):

If you're referring to govt-related travel, a lot of it is already governed by the GSA CPP umbrella. If they're trying to buy Beltway influence, I'd imagine the funds being better spent at some K-street firm ?

AABB777
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:37 pm

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 2):

The sponsorship is not necessarily about DL's WAS operations. The Nats have national appeal and DL will capitalize on that reach that goes well beyond the beltway.

bkflyguy

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:35 pm

"Under Delta's new agreement with the Nationals, the airline will fly the team to and from every away game."

Methinks this has more to do with Delta trying to grow their charter business with the new dedicated 757 charter fleet. They have quite a few NBA/NHL teams, but need to keep the fleet busy during the summer.

D L X

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Quoting AABB777 (Thread starter):
I'm surprised UA didn't act on this sooner.

If I'm not mistaken, UA was the official airline of the Nats until this.

Seems to me a way for DL to put a stake in the WAS market and show their commitment to the DC region.

Hah.

"Abandoned" is too strong a word, but DL has ceded primacy in the DC region to all the other players. AA has a hub at DCA. UA has a hub-like thing at IAD. (For now, at least.) DL used to have a prime position at DCA, but they traded it with US's squandered prime position at LGA. They're an also-ran here now.

commavia

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:55 pm

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 2):

"We may not be lobbying with the rest of our industry anymore through A4A, but now we can lobby you directly via our box at the Nats game!"

Quoting D L X (Reply 6):
"Abandoned" is too strong a word, but DL has ceded primacy in the DC region to all the other players. AA has a hub at DCA. UA has a hub-like thing at IAD. (For now, at least.) DL used to have a prime position at DCA, but they traded it with US's squandered prime position at LGA. They're an also-ran here now.

"Ceded primacy?" "Used to have a prime position?" Not my recollection. Delta was long a relatively large operator at DCA - and still is today - but it was never a "prime" operator at any point in the last 2-3 decades. That position has, since at least the 1990s, clearly been USAirways. And for many years, even pre-merger AA was larger at DCA than Delta.

DCAfan

Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:40 pm

and Official Private Jet Carrier of the Washington Nationals

Nationals Park is the number one sports venue in the country with lobbyists.

This may be mainly about reaching their clients as potential Delta Private Jet customers.

There are plenty of unused GA slots at DCA, and I understand that TSA is considering waiving the Armed Security Officer requirement for GA at DCA under certain circumstances.

777klm

Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 6):
UA has a hub-like thing at IAD. (For now, at least.)

Just curious, what makes you say this? Did I miss something?
Home airport: AMS
Next flight: CNX - BKK

D L X

Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:41 pm

Quoting 777klm (Reply 9):
Just curious, what makes you say this? Did I miss something?

Ever since the merger with CO, there has been chatter about closing the IAD hub in favor of EWR, on a.net and elsewhere. It doesn't seem to be on the horizon, except for a few downgauges here and there, but it's an everpresent rumor.

Quoting commavia (Reply 7):
"Ceded primacy?" "Used to have a prime position?"

I'm not saying DL was ever #1 at any airport, but they used to have a lot more flights. Now DL only flies from IAD and DCA to its hubs, OMA and MSN.

exunited

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:07 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 10):
Ever since the merger with CO, there has been chatter about closing the IAD hub in favor of EWR, on a.net and elsewhere. It doesn't seem to be on the horizon, except for a few downgauges here and there, but it's an everpresent rumor.

Requoting rumors by 16 yr old "enthusiasts" on A-Net is not really a compelling argument. I was in a meeting last month where the IAD chief pilot said that Dulles was very profitable in 2015 and was expected to be in 2016 as well. Any draw down at Dulles has more to do with parking the 50 seat Barbie jets and the loss of the GSA contract to Jet Blue/Emirates for the middle east flying. So exactly where is the information that says that Dulles might close in favor of Newark?

[Edited 2016-03-28 12:09:56]

D L X

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:38 pm

Quoting exunited (Reply 11):
So exactly where is the information that says that Dulles might close in favor of Newark?

I'm really not sure you understood me. That comment was not meant to be taken seriously.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos