ASFlyer
Topic Author

Jet Blue And Alaska Reportedly Make Offer For VX

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:50 pm

I know there is another thread that addresses VA being sold, but it's gotten quite lengthy. As there seems to have been a couple of offers made for Virgin America, maybe this thread can address that.

Anyway, here's the link to the article from Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...t-jetblue-alaska-air-takeover-bids

cessna53996

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:56 pm

This is certainly out of left field for B6 but I see a ton of upside. A VX takeover would benefit B6 greatly. I think a few things stand out more than others...

- Mint expanded to DCA-SFO
- SFO focus city
- More slots in DCA, LGA, & JFK
- 1 less competitor on JFK/BOS transcend routes

It kind of makes it sound like a no-brainer...

DocLightning

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:00 pm

Quoting cessna53996 (Reply 1):

This is certainly out of left field for B6 but I see a ton of upside. A VX takeover would benefit B6 greatly. I think a few things stand out more than others...

- SFO focus city
- 1 less competitor on JFK/BOS transcend routes

It kind of makes it sound like a no-brainer...

It would basically turn B6 into another major. And it would give B6 a hub at SFO, which would be a fantastic opportunity to give UA a run for their money.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

AS737MAX

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:06 pm

Obviously, B6 seems like the perfect airline to step up and acquire VX, but not sure why AS is making a play for them too?

dabpit

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:06 pm

This is for sure an interesting development. Beside the network gains for AS, what would be other positives for them to buy VX?
Carpe Diem

UsAir737

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:07 pm

I could definitely see this working out for them. It's B6's to loose.
Long live US/ HP the airline that took over the world!

a380787

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:09 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 2):

It would basically turn B6 into another major. And it would give B6 a hub at SFO, which would be a fantastic opportunity to give UA a run for their money.

For starters, the gate space at SFO will be awkward. B6 departs out of INTL Concourse A while VX shares T2 Concourse D with AA. (I don't recall a A-to-D sterile corridor) I sincerely doubt AA would want to move at all, so the gate space is very much boxed in unless they consider a less than-ideal busing service.

I think AA has gates D56-59, so VX (and by extension, B6+VX) has just 50-55 to work with. AA is fine with the existing split terminal arrangement since SFO is mostly an end-point destination for their passengers. It's a lot less ideal when VX+B6 runs a hub that heavily involves busing.

dc10lover

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:10 pm

AS only wants VX to eliminate competition. B6 wants VX so they can grow.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

UsAir737

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:10 pm

Quoting dabpit (Reply 4):

I believe you basically answered your own question. It would be interesting to see if the VX airbii are added to the fleet or sold off in favor of more 737's. Ala FL/WN

globalflyer

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:11 pm

PLEASE NOOOOOOO. We need as much competition as possible.
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

Tugger

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:11 pm

And their stock is up around 20% since this was originally announced. Not bad.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

ATLFlyer323

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Quoting UsAir737 (Reply 8):
I believe you basically answered your own question. It would be interesting to see if the VX airbii are added to the fleet or sold off in favor of more 737's. Ala FL/WN

Being Seattle based and NW USA proud I don't see them keeping the Airbus on property longer than they have to, and especially not painted in Alaska colors. I could see that hurting their Seattle loyalty a bit with Boeing being such a big player there. Of course I could be 100% wrong and they could go all Airbus for all I know! Haha.

-ATLFlyer323
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

MAH4546

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:16 pm

Mint expanded to DCA-SFO

There is no need for Mint in this market.

Quoting dc10lover (Reply 7):
AS only wants VX to eliminate competition. B6 wants VX so they can grow.

They both want Virgin to eliminate competition, and hopefully any merger attempts are shot down.
a.

UsAir737

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:17 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 12):

A merger will most likely be allowed unfortunately

Sooner787

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:19 pm

They both want Virgin to eliminate competition, and hopefully any merger attempts are shot down.

IMHO...there's no way any merger/ takeover would be approved during an election year,

32andBelow

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:20 pm

I wonder if AS would just put VX into AAG and leave it separate.

a380787

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:22 pm

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 14):
IMHO...there's no way any merger/ takeover would be approved during an election year,

I don't recall M&A like this requiring congressional approvals. The DOJ of the current administration has already signed off on multiple mergers before, so this one shouldn't be much different.

Besides, I'm sure the legal team at both bidders has already reached out to their DOJ contacts and obtained "soft approval" before proceeding with a bid.

BigGSFO

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:24 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 15):

I wonder if AS would just put VX into AAG and leave it separate.

Every time this is attempted in the course of an take over, it never seems to last, and the acquired airline simply assimilates into the parent.

Amusing that AS is offering a bid to take over the very airline they made the biggest fuss over in the beginning.

jetsetterusa

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:26 pm

I might be totally wrong in asking this question but maybe Delta is pressuring Richard to sell the airline because doesn't Delta own 49% of Virgin Atlantic?
Crazy Day Tripper

ASFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:30 pm

I agree with that to some extent, but VX/B6 and AS all need each other to grow and survive. Niche carriers are a thing of the past. Competing with the "big 3" means you need to have a large presence pretty much everywhere in the U.S. I imagine, if AS were to be the successful buyer, they would scale back some of VX's SFO operation and right size LAX, but I think they would very much use VX to grow exponentially. They need to. What would be really cool would be a B6/VX/AS combo. That would be an airline that would be of such a size that they could effectively compete with the likes of DL, UA, AA and WN.

dabpit

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:32 pm

Quoting jetsetterusa (Reply 18):
I might be totally wrong in asking this question but maybe Delta is pressuring Richard to sell the airline because doesn't Delta own 49% of Virgin Atlantic?

Not a chance since DL has no say in how Richard manages his Virgin brand. VS plays no role in VX the only thing they have in common is branding under Richard.
Carpe Diem

a380787

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 pm

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 19):
They need to. What would be really cool would be a B6/VX/AS combo. That would be an airline that would be of such a size that they could effectively compete with the likes of DL, UA, AA and WN.

It would have seat-size but still has work cut out in terms of network size. 2 west coast airlines plus a east coast airline would still leaves a huge empty abyss in "fly-over country" - that DAL "focus city" really doesn't count.

If you equate "effectively compete" with "corporate wallet share", then yes, fly-over country needs to be addressed, as "un-hip" or "un-cool" those destinations may sound.

Osubuckeyes

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:40 pm

DOJ doesn't care if it is an election year. Also, DL/NW was in an election year.

anonms

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:46 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 6):
For starters, the gate space at SFO will be awkward. B6 departs out of INTL Concourse A while VX shares T2 Concourse D with AA. (I don't recall a A-to-D sterile corridor) I sincerely doubt AA would want to move at all, so the gate space is very much boxed in unless they consider a less than-ideal busing service.

By 2025, the Terminal 1 redevelopment will have completed and (supposedly) AA will be moving to T1-B. Until then, everything's a bit awkward in general.
This is my signature.

a380787

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Quoting anonms (Reply 24):
By 2025, the Terminal 1 redevelopment will have completed and (supposedly) AA will be moving to T1-B. Until then, everything's a bit awkward in general.

Agreed. One thing I haven't calculated is the existing gate utilization at VX's T2D gates, so maybe there's sufficient room to absorb all of AS or B6's operations into T2 without a split terminal scenario.

But no matter which suitor wins, it would get awkward and messy if they attempt to embark on rapid growth to challenge UA's dominance.

BOSMEMFlyer

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:54 pm

I know on the B6 end, JFK has around 150 flts/day with the intent of BOS getting there eventually and FLL not far behind.

Does anyone know how many flights Virgin operates out of SFO/LAX/DAL daily? Looked around a bit and couldn't find anything.

qcpilotxf

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:54 pm

Quoting dabpit (Reply 20):
Quoting jetsetterusa (Reply 18):I might be totally wrong in asking this question but maybe Delta is pressuring Richard to sell the airline because doesn't Delta own 49% of Virgin Atlantic?
Not a chance since DL has no say in how Richard manages his Virgin brand. VS plays no role in VX the only thing they have in common is branding under Richard.

Virgin is essentially just a branding for VX, they don't have much say in the company. Even VS, the Virgin group kind of keeps their hands out of it

avi8

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:58 pm

This would be HUGE for B6. They might even venture into LAX-Mexico/Central America if this came true. They have fleet commonality and are up there for costumer service.

Dang, I really wish this happened for B6 so that they could get their spot on the west coast.
avi8

Medschool student

ont 737

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:59 pm

Quoting BOSMEMFlyer (Reply 26):
Does anyone know how many flights Virgin operates out of SFO/LAX/DAL daily? Looked around a bit and couldn't find anything.

Departure count for today (3/28) by station
SFO 59
LAX 42
DAL 16
JFK 13
LAS 13
SEA 7
FLL 6
SAN 6
EWR 6
BOS 5
DCA 4
IAD 4
DEN 3
ORD 3
LGA 3
AUS 2
PDX 2
CUN 1
HNL 1
MCO 1
SJD 1
OGG 1
PSP 1

airliner371

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:01 pm

I think a JetBlue/Virgin America combo could be really good and would strengthen JetBlue on the west coast. I could see B6/VX merging and eventually B6/AS to form one airline.

a380787

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:04 pm

If the winner suitor were B6, they'd have to figure out how to handle VX LAX vs. B6 LGB scenario. My guess is that LAX will be favored, but it seems like a waste to throw away all the LGB market share like that and let WN swoop in.

ASFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:06 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 21):
If you equate "effectively compete" with "corporate wallet share", then yes, fly-over country needs to be addressed, as "un-hip" or "un-cool" those destinations may sound.

I would agree, there's a lot of "fly over country" that needs to be addressed. After "right sizing", a combination of B6/AS would leave a certain amount of aircraft to start moving into the middle of the country. A combination of B6/AS/VX (which I realized is not really even being addressed here) would leave a lot of planes to start moving into the middle of the country. "un-hip" or "un-cool" or not, the middle of the country is an area that would need more focus. Alaska actually touches more of the middle than either B6 or VX, which is rather odd if you think about it.

ont 737

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:06 pm

Here are the overlap markets

B6/VX
JFK-LAX
FLL-JFK
JFK-SFO
BOS-SFO
BOS-LAX
LAS-SFO
JFK-LAS
FLL-LAX
FLL-SFO

AS/VX
LAX-SEA
SEA-SFO
PDX-SFO
PSP-SFO
SFO-SJD

a380787

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:10 pm

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 32):
Alaska actually touches more of the middle than either B6 or VX, which is rather odd if you think about it.

AS does, but all flights head back to the west coast. If it were AS+VX, they'll double down on that strategy. If it's B6+VX, they might need some network expansion to address "intra fly over country" type of travel patterns.

VX has already shown that having a tiny network at DAL that previously went only to NY DC LA SF wasn't printing them much cash at all. (and DAL-AUS was a bigger flop than Sprint-Nextel)

ridgid727

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:13 pm

An interesting move for Alaska. Diversify their product offering to be not so dependent on SEA and PDX.

DocLightning

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:15 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 31):

If the winner suitor were B6, they'd have to figure out how to handle VX LAX vs. B6 LGB scenario. My guess is that LAX will be favored, but it seems like a waste to throw away all the LGB market share like that and let WN swoop in.

Have you been in the VX terminal at LAX? It's a joke. It's a time warp back to 1962. There's a McDonald's and some sit-down restaurant and then the Virgin lounge. It's really bad.

Better to move all ops to LGB and actually have a decent passenger experience.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

tortugamon

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:17 pm

Doesn't virgin have like one slot at LGA? At JFK I could see regulators asking for B6 the give up some slots as they are largest player at that airport. Not significant enough to matter anyway. I would think B6 would want to remove some of the VX capacity to drive higher prices on that route to rationalize the purchase price for the airline.

Hardly a reason to spend $1.5 Billion on an airline acquistion. I am bullish on this though.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 2):
It would basically turn B6 into another major

Well, not sure I would go that far. I would think the combined entity would still be only 1/3 the size of any of the US4. I would say a combined VX/B6/AS/HA would be qualify as another major. And something I would like to see.

Quoting dabpit (Reply 4):
Beside the network gains for AS, what would be other positives for them to buy VX?

I do not see as many benefits to AS as B6. The SFO gates are valuable but not $1.5 Billion. Eliminating a competitor that is growing is good for AS but it seems more like a defensive move vs B6 which I see as an aggressive move.

Quoting globalflyer (Reply 9):
PLEASE NOOOOOOO. We need as much competition as possible.

VX doesn't really compete with B6. They share a couple transcontinental routes but really not much overlap. Therefore this merger wouldn't remove competition.

They don't have to approve it; just not stand in the way of it. As their routes don't overlap I don't see why they can stand in the way. After they have allowed DL/NW, AA/US, and UA/CO, I don't see why they can suddenly stop a player who has 5% market share from merging with an airline with 1% market share and no overlap. It just doesn't make sense.

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 19):
What would be really cool would be a B6/VX/AS combo.

And HA.  

tortugamon

rwsea

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:18 pm

I agree that an AS acquisition is unlikely, but it would be interesting. AS would simply be a massive powerhouse on the west coast, with a massive hub at SEA and secondary focus cities/hubs at PDX, SFO, and LAX. The scale of the operation would simply be amazing and they'd more or less be able to dominate intra-west coast traffic. AS does need to continue to diversify and reduce its dependence on SEA, but this one would be tough to push through the regulators in my view. It would also start to question the AS partnerships with both AA and DL.

All in all, the route maps under either scenario might look pretty but I don't see any need for VX to merge. Look at where the other airline mergers have gotten us - reduced service, major cuts in FF benefits, fewer flights, and increased fares. I don't think any of us should be wishing for further consolidation.

Quoting ATLFlyer323 (Reply 11):
Being Seattle based and NW USA proud I don't see them keeping the Airbus on property longer than they have to, and especially not painted in Alaska colors. I could see that hurting their Seattle loyalty a bit with Boeing being such a big player there. Of course I could be 100% wrong and they could go all Airbus for all I know! Haha.

It's a nice marketing pitch since AS happens to be a Boeing carrier, but I doubt their loyalty in SEA would take a hit at all.

32andBelow

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:19 pm

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 37):
I do not see as many benefits to AS as B6. The SFO gates are valuable but not $1.5 Billion. Eliminating a competitor that is growing is good for AS but it seems more like a defensive move vs B6 which I see as an aggressive move.

AS could really step up their transcon game.

a380787

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:20 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 36):

Have you been in the VX terminal at LAX? It's a joke. It's a time warp back to 1962. There's a McDonald's and some sit-down restaurant and then the Virgin lounge. It's really bad.

Other than TBIT, nothing at LAX really screams "state of the art" by any stretch anyway. LAX over LGB is all about the O&D and yield though. Parts of LGA like CTB look like a greyhound bus terminal, but it still commands higher yield than similar services at sparkling new terminals at JFK.

But to answer your question, no I haven't. I've only seen T1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and TBIT.

32andBelow

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:27 pm

Quoting rwsea (Reply 38):

The scale of the operation would simply be amazing and they'd more or less be able to dominate intra-west coast traffic..

I think you are forgetting about a little guy first name South last name West

ty97

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:28 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 36):

I have used VX's LAX terminal and it's horrible and dated. But I (and many others) fly out of the just as bad (if not worse) LGA Terminal B all the time because it's convenient. That's why I would see LAX winning: people want to fly to/from LAX, and the crappy terminal isn't going to stop that desire.

N757ST

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:41 pm

Delta has already announced they are taking over T3 in lax and bulldozing it for something new. All the T3 airlines will be moving to the south side.

allegiantflyer

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:43 pm

Funny thing, I was just complaint to a friend how news in the aviation world had seemed to go sluggish. Logged on this afternoon expecting the usual for a Monday morning, turns out there's a possible merger underway and AA applies for LAX-PEK. Talk about an exciting way to start the week!

AS just started their rebranding, I would think they would be focusing on that. However as with what we saw with AA 3 years ago, the company started their rebranding (reveled the new livery everyone had been suspicious of for months) and supposedly was still undecided regarding a merger when that announcement was mad, as stated by Tom Horton in the rebranding video. So AS could take the same path and make a merger apart of the rebranding.

As with most of you in think a B6/VX merger sounds more likely. And I honestly think that merger would flow/go more smoothly than all of the mergers and acquisitions that have happened over the last decade. Same aircraft,similar crowd. The only major issue that would need attention would be th "fly over country" that would appear when merging a major east coast airline with one of the west.
VX is a good company, when they launched their product seemed so superior to the others, and it still is in many cases. However ther F product has been unable to compete with the advancements of their competitors in that market. Making their F product "so 2000-late",especially to their fun crowd they aim for. MINT could help fix this.

Maybe AS will sell B6/VX the name rights to JetAmerica.   that would flow really nicely in this merger in particular.

NYC-air

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:44 pm

It could be interesting if this forces B6 to divest some JFK slots to Southwest or Spirit. Or maybe their EWR/LGA slots, where those airlines already fly.

a380787

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:46 pm

Quoting allegiantflyer (Reply 44):

VX is a good company, when they launched their product seemed so superior to the others, and it still is in many cases. However ther F product has been unable to compete with the advancements of their competitors in that market. Making their F product "so 2000-late",especially to their fun crowd they aim for. MINT could help fix this.

I agree their F is too much of a "tweener" compromise - CASM too high for short-hops and RASM too low for transcons.

thekorean

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:55 pm

Crazy idea. EK should buy minority share but form puppet ownership and feed EK flights.

VAM8789

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:06 pm

It's interesting that there are people in here who had little to no issues with large carriers like AA+US merging, but want a potential B6+VX deal to get shot down.

EA CO AS

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:08 pm

Quoting N757ST (Reply 43):
Delta has already announced they are taking over T3 in lax and bulldozing it for something new.

T2 and T3 if I recall correctly from the LAWA announcement.

[Edited 2016-03-28 15:08:44]
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

deltal1011man

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:13 pm

Guys
VS = Virgin Atlantic
VA = Virgin Australia
VX = Virgin America

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos