Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ZaphodHarkonnen
Topic Author

Another First Time Flier Opens Emergency Exit.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:16 am

So out of China we have another case of a first time flier opening an emergency exit while the plane was on the ground.

http://shanghaiist.com/2016/03/27/au...toilet_deploys_emergency_slide.php

I'm not going to be derogatory or anything as this is a reasonable mistake to make for someone who's never flown before.

And before you say they should just read the signs I can tell you as a dev very few people actually pay attention to signs. What people should do and what they actually do are two often very different things.

So, my question is this. Do we think there are ways to reduce the occurrence of these things until all populations of the world have basic cultural knowledge of flying? Or do we just shrug and accept that these still happen so rarely as to not really worry about?

Disclaimer: Though I did giggle when I first read the story. Poor thing must've had the shock of their life when the door opened to the outside and the slide appeared.

BreninTW

RE: Another First Time Flier Opens Emergency Exit.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:23 am

Isn't this part of the reason why there's supposed to be cabin crew at each door?

Francoflier

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:48 am

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 1):

Can't do that in the overwing emergency exit rows on narrowbodies...

BreninTW

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:49 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 2):
Can't do that in the overwing emergency exit rows on narrowbodies...

In this case, it wasn't an overwing -- it was the door exit ahead of the wing.

hkcanadaexpat

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:59 am

how many labels can you put on the door saying "in emergency case only" until these people understand??? it really shouldn't matter if you're a first time traveller or going into any building with an emergency exit for the very first time, if its got huge letter labels saying DO NOT OPEN, you don't open it. otherwise you face consequences. they obviously do not have any problems reading the DO NOT SMOKE sign or the SEAT BELT FASTEN SIGN.
this doesn't happen in rural Africa or India or Indonesia where multi million people are flying for the first time every day. Only in China. And i've lived here for 15+ years and can tell you i don't see things changing anytime soon.
A

sandyb123

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:13 pm

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 3):
In this case, it wasn't an overwing -- it was the door exit ahead of the wing.

Correct it was the L2 door / Door 3 which is a full door. It says 'Open' with a big arrow (and Chinese equivalent).

Sandy123

flyingclrs727

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:58 pm

The woman made 3 mistakes as a first time flyer. The last mistake was to confuse an emergency exit for a toilet door. First, she didn't use a restroom at the terminal before boarding the aircraft, and she didn't understand that there isn't really much time to use a toilet onboard between boarding the plane and the plane moving away from the gate.

wingman

Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:51 pm

When I first saw the picture to this story I was very much hoping the culprit put the icing on the cake by actually squatting and peeing down the slide. To a country bumpkin it would make perfect sense. I still chuckle thinking how awesome that would've been.

a380787

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:02 pm

Social media is also a culprit. The amount of misinformation being spread around in the Chinese platforms of Weibo and Weixin far exceeds whatever crap we see in the likes of FB/Twitter/you-name-it. They're gradually conditioned to blindly believe social media instead of official advice and warnings from the government, which some view as nothing but propaganda.

Francoflier

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:31 pm

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 3):
it was the door exit ahead of the wing.

Thanks, I stand corrected.

I suppose the F/As might have been busy with pre-departure preparations.

iahcsr

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:24 am

It is standard procedure in the US that all passenger doors be disarmed until the ac is ready to depart. This could reduce such events? Maybe?

ZaphodHarkonnen
Topic Author

Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:18 am

Quoting iahcsr (Reply 10):
It is standard procedure in the US that all passenger doors be disarmed until the ac is ready to depart. This could reduce such events? Maybe?

Well it won't stop the door opening but it could help reduce the time needed to fix things. However you then run the risk of the person falling out onto the tarmac.

Anyways, now there's been a few responses. My opinion is leaning towards just accepting this as the culture builds up an inherent knowledge of these things. After all for all the new flyers this still only happens once every few months. So it's probably just cheaper in the long run to eat the occasional cockup as long as the long term shows that this happens less often.

ArmitageShanks

Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:24 am

Quoting ZaphodHarkonnen (Thread starter):
Or do we just shrug and accept that these still happen so rarely as to not really worry about?

It's just going to happen. When you have millions of people who have been living in the 1800's move into the city you're going to find some crazy behavior. China needs to address the total lack of civilized behavior that a huge population of the country shows in a modern society.

hkcanadaexpat

Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:40 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 12):
When you have millions of people who have been living in the 1800's move into the city you're going to find some crazy behavior.

So why is this only happening in China and not in India, rest of Asia (Indonesia for example) or rural Africa where zillions of people are also flying for the first time? It seems like a Chinese behavioural problem rather than a "first time flying" problem.
A

ArmitageShanks

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:23 am

Quoting hkcanadaexpat (Reply 13):
It seems like a Chinese behavioural problem

I really don't know. The only experience I have was when I spent a semester studying and travelling in China. I was blown away at the sheer lack of self-awareness and borderline sociopathic behavior of a lot of the "rural types" living in the cities I visited, Beijing included. Even some of my fellow students blew me away. I've never experienced anything like it in the other places I've visited around the world. People found it totally acceptable to hock loogies inside businesses and resturaunts, push and shove everywhere and generally ignore just about every social grace that every other culture abides by.

Its got to be something to do with the society and culture of rural China. Less value placed on the individual within society perhaps? Its bizarre and intriguing.

nomadd22

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:08 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 14):

I really don't know. The only experience I have was when I spent a semester studying and travelling in China. I was blown away at the sheer lack of self-awareness and borderline sociopathic behavior of a lot of the "rural types" living in the cities I visited, Beijing included. Even some of my fellow students blew me away. I've never experienced anything like it in the other places I've visited around the world. People found it totally acceptable to hock loogies inside businesses and resturaunts, push and shove everywhere and generally ignore just about every social grace that every other culture abides by.

Its got to be something to do with the society and culture of rural China. Less value placed on the individual within society perhaps? Its bizarre and intriguing.

You should go to an Egyptian buffet sometime.

PhoenixVIP

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:19 am

Common practice here now is that all passengers seated in emergency rows on narrowbodies and the exit doors on widebodies are told individually what the door is, its purpose, the penalty for misuse, and to work with cabin crew should it need to be opened. The attendants have received specific training in relaying this message so that it is conveyed correctly however this of course doesn't help the rest of the aircraft who don't seat in these rows. Which is what happened in this incident. First time flyer or perhaps the flyer may have been desperate because of a medical condition? Innocent mistake. People should perhaps take an understanding before passing judgement through rose coloured lens.

Quoting a380787 (Reply 8):

For the risk of turning this into a China vs America debate, I find our social media far more intelligent than the trash and propaganda on Twitter and Facebook and Youtube and rightly so they're blocked in our country. We don't have Trump vs Clinton or Fox News issues etc. Or perhaps because this is a problem previous in China so the media will jump on it straight away as opposed to if it were UA or AA because these are considered small issues?

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 14):

China's population is enormous. If people don't push and shove they will never get served. That is slowly being phased out as the population becomes more educated.

Do we know if there is a precondition of the first time flyer before she went onboard? Not saying what she did was right but the whole world's population never reads signs especially when people are desperate. That is human nature and doesn't suggest we are inferior to those from across the border in Hong Kong.

ArmitageShanks

Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:06 pm

Quoting PhoenixVIP (Reply 16):
I find our social media far more intelligent than the trash and propaganda on Twitter and Facebook and Youtube and rightly so they're blocked in our country. We don't have Trump vs Clinton or Fox News issues etc.

If you're looking at trash on YouTube and twitter, yeah you're going to find it. If you are looking for intelligent, open debate and information about everything you can find that, too. It speaks to what you are looking for if you find it all "trash."

Those pesky elections, news reporters and people's opinions do get in the way of one-party dictatorships however. So best to just do away with open dialogue for the sake of efficiency of the state.

NoTime

Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:40 pm

Quoting ZaphodHarkonnen (Thread starter):
as this is a reasonable mistake to make for someone who's never flown before.

Ha! Are you serious? If so, you've got some REALLY low expectations of other cultures.

So why is this only happening in China and not in India, rest of Asia (Indonesia for example) or rural Africa where zillions of people are also flying for the first time? It seems like a Chinese behavioural problem rather than a "first time flying" problem.

This.

First time flyer or not, there's a certain level of common sense that is assumed among travelers. It's very odd to see this happening again and again in China.

ZaphodHarkonnen
Topic Author

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:22 pm

Quoting NoTime (Reply 18):
Ha! Are you serious? If so, you've got some REALLY low expectations of other cultures.

I'm a professional software developer. I've seen how clueless even 'educated westerners' can be. It has nothing to do with cultures but rather experience with users.