Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

Disappointed With Inaugural SAS CPH-BOS 3/29

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:59 pm

While there were lots of festivities at the departure gate (champagne, finger foods, speeches), the flight was incredibly unremarkable. There were announcement about the first flight on board. Nothing more.

No take away, trinkets, promo material.

No water cannon on landing.

No greeting on arrival.

I went up to the ticket counter at Logan to congratulate the agents. There were 5-6 of them with no line. I was not clear if they were contract or SAS agents. They looked up at me when I said congratulations. They said thank you. Looked back down at their computers, and went on with their business. They didn't want to engage in any conversation or ask any questions about the flight.

I expected more.

[Edited 2016-03-29 13:08:54]
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

Ytraveller

RE: Disappointed With Inaugural SAS CPH-BOS 3/29

Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:35 pm

That's unfortunate. I suppose BOS is now used to having all these new airlines...

Do you have any pictures to share?

[Edited 2016-03-29 14:36:21]

toobz

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:27 pm

I bet SK does not have their own staff at BOS..As far as festivities on the US end..i would assume because you are arriving from an international flight, that you are ushered through the "sterile" area into Immigration. Not sure where or how they could have any festivities on this end.

zrs70
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:49 pm

Toobz - I understand what you are saying. But if I were SAS, I would have positioned the regional manager at the end of the Jetway to welcome passengers.

[Edited 2016-03-29 16:04:29]
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

toobz

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:01 pm

Z...I agree. That would have been the least they could have done!

caleb1

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:56 am

Do you have any pictures or a report of the flight and aircraft?

jeffrey1970

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:34 pm

Quoting caleb1 (Reply 5):

I also would love to see those pictures, and your report. It seems that airlines are doing what ever they can to cut cost these days.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

gabrielchew

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Thread starter):
there were lots of festivities at the departure gate (champagne, finger foods, speeches)

I've been on a few inagurals, and the best i've managed is "this is our first flights to.....". Not a single balloon! I think you're expecting too much.

Some airlines do go all out, but at the end of the day, for most passengers it's a complete non event. Unless the airline thinks they can get a return on their promotions budget, then there is no need for them to do anything. Very few people will be swayed by a one off gate party, or a regional manager saying "Welcome to Boston"!

They looked up at me when I said congratulations. They said thank you. Looked back down at their computers, and went on with their business

Really, what were you expecting? Even industry professionals are probably not particularly excited by new airlines opening routes.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

Carfield

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:30 pm

Sorry to hear that the BOS-CPH inaugural is such low key. At least they had some buffets and speeches in the gate area. About souvenirs, that actually vary too. First flight certificates are actually hard to find now. Virgin America does not do inaugural gifts until now - Hawaii has the Airbnb blanket, but Denver is really the first one with commemorative handsets, winter accessories, and coins.

As an aviation enthusiast, inaugural flights are sort of my type of things to do, but sometimes it is really hard to gauge which one will be exciting and which one will be not. I don't think there is a way to tell, but a couple airlines are pretty good in making a big party out of inaugurals. Almost all Japanese airlines, Singapore Airlines, JetBlue and Virgin America are pretty good with inaugurals (in terms of gifts, jetBlue always has the destination poster card, and SQ also has the gift bag too with first flight certificate), but I actually never do Cathay Pacific's inaugural flights because CX rarely does anything - they only do private parties, not public parties. So while many of people are doing the A350 inaugurals, I choose not to do so because the first 77W flight is almost an unremarkable event. LCCs are also tend to be low profile.

Another good indicator is to see if the local airport authorities or governments are exciting about the flights. For many occasions, local airport authorities play a big part of the launches. San Jose Airport and LAX love these inaugurals. The upcoming SQ Capital Express inaugural will certainly be a big event, and when you see the flights with no or little discounted seats, it means a big celebration too.

Carfield

WearyDrover

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:25 am

I must admit to being a little confused.

Were you a passenger on the flight or did you just go to the airport to see the arrival into BOS?

I was expecting some sort of description of the flight with some photos of the aircraft interior and/ or meals and refreshments. I'm a bit disappointed as a consequence of the expectation not being met. Hence my question.

Regards,
Weary
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

jeffrey1970

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:02 am

Quoting caleb1 (Reply 5):

I also would love to see those pictures, and your report. It seems that airlines are doing what ever they can to cut cost these days.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

AirPacific747

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:16 am

But the American ambassador, Rufus Gifford was there for the opening ceremony I believe?

lesfalls

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:10 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 11):
But the American ambassador, Rufus Gifford was there for the opening ceremony I believe?

He was:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDiSDd8Tf_w/?taken-by=flysas
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

chrisnh

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:15 pm

Is this seen as somewhat of an 'elite' flight, not for the 'masses?'

ThReaTeN

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:33 pm

I'm not surprised. SK has never struck me as a company whose employees and managers take a lot of pride in their work and in the operations of the airline. Though perhaps it was, a long time ago.

airbazar

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:35 pm

I went up to the ticket counter at Logan to congratulate the agents. There were 5-6 of them with no line. I was not clear if they were contract or SAS agents. They looked up at me when I said congratulations.

Ahahah, you're lucky they didn't call security on you. After all this is Boston. It's against our nature to be polite and friendly.
Seriously, they are contract workers doing the same job they have been doing for years. The fact that the electronic screens overhead say SAS means nothing to them. 2 hours later the screens will have another airline's logo on it, and they'll change their scarves  

DALCE

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:35 pm

Airtravel is just a bus-service nowadays. Why would you expect any airline to do anything special?
Most customers are not even willing to pay for service....
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

mwhcvt

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:45 pm

I would have thought that a lot of passengers would simply want to get through BOS as rapidly as possible on arrival after the flight so for most a reception would be pretty fruitless, and for the entertainment on the flight again you might have wanted that but how many others? I'd imagine most would just want to relax and rest or sleep
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

stratacruiser

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:15 pm

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 13):
Is this seen as somewhat of an 'elite' flight, not for the 'masses?

Not sure if you're referring specifically to the inaugural. The flight itself is operated by a Privatair 737-700, but unlike Lufthansa's early subcontracted operations with Privatair, this one has both business and economy seating.

Dave

wn676

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:55 pm

Apparently SK is planning on doing a big inaugural ceremony, but not for another month or so. No idea why it would be delayed, but that's the word from an internal source. Also mentioned that they're planning their own metal "soon" which may coincide with a bigger welcoming. I admittedly haven't been following this route at all and have no idea personally of what goes on in BOS, but maybe this will make sense/sound completely ludicrous to someone.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

anstar

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:00 pm

Its not uncommon for airlines to start a route and then have an official "press" launch shortly after. VS going to ATL and DTW spring to mind. flights operated for about a week before the official press flights.

adamh8297

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:05 pm

Quoting wn676 (Reply 19):
Also mentioned that they're planning their own metal "soon" which may coincide with a bigger welcoming.

Do they have the plane for going widebody?....I think that could happen in 2017 or whenever the PrivatAir contract runs out.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

33lspotter

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:12 pm

Quoting ytraveller (Reply 1):
I suppose BOS is now used to having all these new airlines...

I know that QR, for certain, had a water cannon salute when the first plane came into BOS two weeks back. EK did similar when they flew their first flight back in March of 2014. Maybe as ChrisNH said this is seen as more of a "business" type service which wouldn't captivate the masses' attention? Either way, a little bit of fanfare in BOS would have been nice, I agree.

adamh8297

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:21 pm

Quoting 33lspotter (Reply 22):
I know that QR, for certain, had a water cannon salute when the first plane came into BOS two weeks back. EK did similar when they flew their first flight back in March of 2014. Maybe as ChrisNH said this is seen as more of a "business" type service which wouldn't captivate the masses' attention? Either way, a little bit of fanfare in BOS would have been nice, I agree.

Didn't seem like a lot happened for BOS-LGW on Sunday as well.

Concerning other flights: I was on inaugural BOS-LIR on B6 in 2014. Free breakfast from dunkin donuts and Free T-Shirts were given out that said "Left Bostonian came back tico #costarica" B6 had BINGO with prizes such as True Blue Points, trips and other swag during the flight and finally got the water cannon salute in LIR.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

airbazar

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:53 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 21):

Do they have the plane for going widebody?

They're supposed to be getting 5 A320NEO's this year. Don't know if they're planning to have a real business class on those planes.

csturdiv

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:00 pm

Quoting jeffrey1970 (Reply 6):

Not AA, or maybe not AA at SYD. I was on the first AA SYD-LAX flight in December and at the checkin line there were guys dressed in US football gear and girls in cheerleader outfits handing out swag bags (ear plugs, eye mask and other stuff) as well as some LAX themed items (luggage tag, magazine). Then at the gate, in addition to champagne & cakes, they also gave all passengers a Christmas gift (a leather bound notebook), had roving choir singing carols and then had speeches from AA, QF and Sydney Airport staff.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

vfw614

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:26 am

Never really understood why making a fuzz for the passengers on an inaugural flight makes sense. They are the least likely to get lured to the new route as they are already aware of it and have booked it. It makes much more sense to spend the money on a radio commercial.

Nicoeddf

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:31 am

While there were lots of festivities at the departure gate (champagne, finger foods, speeches), the flight was incredibly unremarkable. There were announcement about the first flight on board. Nothing more.

No greeting on arrival.

Not sure why any of that would be needed. You booked a commodity, you got a commodity. And it makes a whole lot more sense to celebrate anything when you have a SAS widebody on the water cannon salute photos, rather than a Privatair 737.

I went up to the ticket counter at Logan to congratulate the agents. There were 5-6 of them with no line. I was not clear if they were contract or SAS agents. They looked up at me when I said congratulations. They said thank you. Looked back down at their computers, and went on with their business. They didn't want to engage in any conversation or ask any questions about the flight.

You seriously went up there? Sorry to be frank but what did you expect those guys to do? Dance in a circle and flap their wings like a chicken?
We (see, I included myself...) AvGeeks are a bit ridiculuous at times...it is just a flight...
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

N766UA

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:42 am

I think your expectations are WAY to high. Was the flight on time? Was the service you paid for good? This is what matters, not ancillary little fringe benefits that absolutely nobody else cares about but airliners.net members posters.

Just a little hint: many flight crews and airline employees are airplane dorks too, but it becomes a job to 100% of them. When you come up with your little trip logbook and overly-exuberant "I have my student pilot's license" story, especially on hour 11 of a 4 day trip (and especially when you're a grown adult), it can be annoying. I'm not saying don't share your hobby or be excited to talk to people, but some of the things I've read on this website... just check yourselves down a little sometimes!

SpaceshipDC10

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:59 am

What is it so special with an airline starting a new route to warrant this? Long gone are the days when aviation was something adventurous. It's not like for the first time an aircraft managed to link both cities.

So? It's never been part of my travel experience OR my enthusiasm for civil aviation. In a way I find it a waste to do it for something unexceptional.

airbazar

Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:59 pm

Quoting vfw614 (Reply 26):
Never really understood why making a fuzz for the passengers on an inaugural flight makes sense

It's not for the passengers. It's done to draw media attention.

Quoting SpaceshipDC10 (Reply 29):

What is it so special with an airline starting a new route to warrant this?

Usually there are industry and media guests on inaugural flights. Those little things make the experience a little more memorable to those people who have the ability to influence the business.

lapper

Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:04 pm

I went up to the ticket counter at Logan to congratulate the agents.

To be honest this sounds like the sort of thing a certain fanboy of SQ would do.

vfw614

Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:59 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 30):
Quoting vfw614 (Reply 26):
Never really understood why making a fuzz for the passengers on an inaugural flight makes sense

It's not for the passengers. It's done to draw media attention.

The water cannon stuff etc. is - to some extent. But not handing out memorabilia to passengers, serving champagne in-flight, giving speeches on board or even (happened to me once) sending out a certificate after the flight. As for drawing media attention, the water cannon-, ribbon-cutting stuff gets media attention mostly at smaller airports that are usually desperate for new services and passengers and located in places where a new route is major news (only to be followed about a longish article about a car crash or a burglary...). At larger internaitonal airports, the media usually cannot be bothered if a 52nd international route is added unless the airline, the aircraft or the destination is really spectacular - none of which applies to the route we are talking about. What airlines usually do is to whine and dine selected journalists and travel professionals - in my previous life, I have been invited to quite a few such extravaganzas (but again, the big legacies, relatively seen, put less effort into such activities than smaller newcomers).

33lspotter

Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:21 pm

On a somewhat-related note, I typed in BOS-CPH on SK's website to see what the prices were like. One of the suggested non-direct options was to fly ... BOS-SFO-CPH. #antilogic

[Edited 2016-04-01 12:25:39]

Alitalia777

Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:08 am

Any chance you can describe the experience? Were you in business or economy? Pictures?

JetBuddy

Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:37 am

Quoting ThReaTeN (Reply 14):

I'm not surprised. SK has never struck me as a company whose employees and managers take a lot of pride in their work and in the operations of the airline. Though perhaps it was, a long time ago.

You couldn't be more wrong. SAS employees are really proud people, they take pride in their work and the airline. Like others have mentioned, speeches, finger food and festivities is not always common for an inaugeral flight. But SK did that in CPH, just not in BOS. It seems like they didn't care much on the other side of the pond. Most likely because those weren't SK employees.

And then there's this:

Quoting wn676 (Reply 19):

Apparently SK is planning on doing a big inaugural ceremony, but not for another month or so. No idea why it would be delayed, but that's the word from an internal source. Also mentioned that they're planning their own metal "soon" which may coincide with a bigger welcoming. I admittedly haven't been following this route at all and have no idea personally of what goes on in BOS, but maybe this will make sense/sound completely ludicrous to someone.

airbazar

Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:55 pm

Quoting vfw614 (Reply 32):
The water cannon stuff etc. is - to some extent. But not handing out memorabilia to passengers, serving champagne in-flight, giving speeches on board or even (happened to me once) sending out a certificate after the flight

Typically the airline invites members of the media, government officials, and industry leaders to be on the first flight. So the swag and speeches are targeted towards those individuals, not the average passenger. If the airline is already doing that for their special guests it costs them very little to extend it to the rest of the passengers.

roseflyer

Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 3):
Toobz - I understand what you are saying. But if I were SAS, I would have positioned the regional manager at the end of the Jetway to welcome passengers.

While that would be nice, the priority would be to get all the passenger properly checked in with no issues. Inaugural flights with new agents have a learning curve. If they used contract staff, I bet the managers would be working hard addressing any issues with the check in and gate process. There also, are all the other staff to manage such as maintenance, ramp, fuel, lavatory, water, cleaning, security, etc. There are 30-40 people working to turn an airplane at an outstation and when people are doing it with an airline for the first time, management has to be available to help. Welcoming passengers is a nice thing to do along with photos and cakes, but priority is getting the plane off the ground on time.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos